• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Maybe we have different standards of what we consider noticeable lag? I'm not really one to complain about such things, and as long as the game is smooth enough for me to pull off holds, I consider it without noticeable lag.

Just found out what is causing the difference. DOA5 netcode is playable, but it is not "good". You may find good connections here and there, but there is some lag and input lag as well. TTT2, P4A, SC5 and etc have good netcode, DOA5 is not on that level. Its probably a little lower than UMVC3's netcode.

Dantis

Just found out what is causing the difference. DOA5 netcode is playable, but it is not "good". You may find good connections here and there, but there is some lag and input lag as well. TTT2, P4A, SC5 and etc have good netcode, DOA5 is not on that level. Its probably a little lower than UMVC3's netcode.

Never said it was. ;)

Endo Punk

Finished the story. Ouch my head. I never want to play the story again, simply terrible waste of resources. Ready to delve deep in other modes as well as online play.

Dantis

TECMO KOEI EUROPE ‏@tecmokoeieurope

More #DOA5 news tomorrow. As you're expecting, the DLC with content you requested. Bayman with orange berets? YES!! Details coming tomorrow!

Oh. Snap.

Skilletor

Agreed on all points.

FHIZ

Finished the story. Ouch my head. I never want to play the story again, simply terrible waste of resources. Ready to delve deep in other modes as well as online play.

See, I love it for how batshit absurd it is. Every occurrence is taken so casually, everyone knows each other, everyone is ready to fight on a whim. See a person walk out of a door? "Oh hey person I literally just laid eyes on two seconds ago, let's train!" "OKAY!"

I was laughing my ass off at the meeting between Bayman and Hayate. There's absolutely no subtlety to it. Just Bayman walking in the middle of a war torn street, and a Ninja shows up behind him and asks "Bayman, what are you doing here?" like it's completely normal.

Its just so WEIRD.

Dantis

See, I love it for how batshit absurd it is. Every occurrence is taken so casually, everyone knows each other, everyone is ready to fight on a whim. See a person walk out of a door? "Oh hey person I literally just laid eyes on two seconds ago, let's train!" "OKAY!"

I was laughing my ass off at the meeting between Bayman and Hayate. There's absolutely no subtlety to it. Just Bayman walking in the middle of a war torn street, and a Ninja shows up behind him and asks "Bayman, what are you doing here?" like it's completely normal.

Its just so WEIRD.

I felt the same way. I really genuinely enjoyed it.

Skilletor

DOA5 netcode is better than UMVC3 by and far. Not even a contest.

Not in my experience. But there's also the fact that Marvel is more execution intensive so comparable amounts of lag would be a more severe detriment to gameplay than in DoA.

DR2K

Banned
Not in my experience. But there's also the fact that Marvel is more execution intensive so comparable amounts of lag would be a more severe detriment to gameplay than in DoA.

Pretty much DOAs input leniancy is a big reason why the online works so well for me. There are no "online tactics". It works. Of course it's p2p sensitive, if the connection sucks boy will it suck.

exactly. Because of the DOA engine, there is more room to hide/mask lag.

What makes it weird is that DoA4 had excellent netcode because it was designed around the game's systems. DoA5 is noticeably worse in the matches I've had and I've mostly been playing with guys who I've had hundreds of DoA4 matches with.

DR2K

Banned
No way. UMVC3 never made me want to rage quit with the lag as bad as it is in this game.

Yes way. My experience with the netcode has been incredibly stable over 100 ranked matches. I'm using a wired connection if that helps. MVC3 has always felt like shit online.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Argh, ended my 8 ranked win streak today. Lei Fang is dangerous, I was being hit by 30%-40% combos. The only fighter I've played so far that has really acquired a good understanding of the whole critical stun -> critical burst mechanic. Last fight of the day too, ending on a loss is not a fun feeling.

I did go against three Brad Wongs in a row. Really unorthodox fighter with his laying down thing, but Mila's 3H+K is the PERFECT "anti-laying down Brad Wong" move lol. She kind of flips onto Brad horizontally like a pancake with almost perfect symmetry. It's a beautiful thing.

8045307444_88bafce2e6.jpg

Perfectly said. This is exactly how I feel. Compounding the lag issue and another source of frustration is how blind we are to our opponent's connection in everything save lobbies. In P4A I saw plenty of red/bad connections but avoiding those players was easy; Arc made sure that finding a good match was painless. In DOA5 I won't even know I'm about to play a laggy match until I'm at the character select screen or actually playing. Team Ninja should've taken note.

DR2K said:
DOA5 netcode is better than UMVC3 by and far. Not even a contest.

I understand how subjective this can be, who lags with this or that game... but thousands of matches on Marvel and I wouldn't even say DOA5's netcode was superior to vanilla MvC, let alone Ultimate's. I wish I could say otherwise; You've no idea how envious I am of those of you having a better online experience. :mad:

Squire

Banned
Team Ninja tweeted that free DLC is coming today (so tomorrow for us) as a thank you for buying the game. I'd quote it, but I'm on mobile and it's in Japanese anyway.

So, I guess that costume pack will be free.

I thought
Alpha
was supposed to unlock after 18 or so hours of gameplay. I know about he 300 titles or whatever the amount is, but the 18 hours unlock does not work because I am now at around 45 hours.

DR2K

Banned
Team Ninja tweeted that free DLC is coming today (so tomorrow for us) as a thank you for buying the game. I'd quote it, but I'm on mobile and it's in Japanese anyway.

So, I guess that costume pack will be free.

FRAY? Will buy 10.

Had lots of matches, probably near 150-200 by now. Most matches run pretty good. Probably about 85%. Funny thing is, I've been experiencing an equal amount of lag in TTT2 and DOA5. Free DLC? Sounds good to me.

akaoni

Banned
Perfectly said. This is exactly how I feel. Compounding the lag issue and another source of frustration is how blind we are to our opponent's connection in everything save lobbies. In P4A I saw plenty of red/bad connections but avoiding those players was easy; Arc made sure that finding a good match was painless. In DOA5 I won't even know I'm about to play a laggy match until I'm at the character select screen or actually playing. Team Ninja should've taken note.

I understand how subjective this can be, who lags with this or that game... but thousands of matches on Marvel and I wouldn't even say DOA5's netcode was superior to vanilla MvC, let alone Ultimate's. I wish I could say otherwise; You've no idea how envious I am of those of you having a better online experience. :mad:

Are you playing on a wired or wireless connection? Someone on a DOA forum made a thread about the lag only to later in the thread decide to mention he was using wireless. Blew my mind.

I've mentioned in the thread before that I've had smooth matches with as far as the NA east coast from Europe, and that's the only one I'm certain of the exact location. I had the game 2 days before European release, so it was mostly NA players I was getting matches with.

Skilletor

Are you playing on a wired or wireless connection? Someone on a DOA forum made a thread about the lag only to later in the thread decide to mention he was using wireless. Blew my mind.

I've mentioned in the thread before that I've had smooth matches with as far as the NA east coast from Europe, and that's the only one I'm certain of the exact location. I had the game 2 days before European release, so it was mostly NA players I was getting matches with.

I'm playing wired. I'm playing vs. people I have great connections with otherwise in other fighters.

The game's netcode makes the game online play similar to DoA5, but, to me, it's entirely different offline. Punishing moves with tight frames, countering, slow escaping, movement are all more difficult online.

It's playable. It is not horrible, but it's far from good.

I say this seriously, in earnest, wit no hyperbole at all, as a person who fucking loves DoA5:

TTT2 2 bars = DoA5 4-5 bars

Maybe that's not a condemnation of DoA5's netcode, but a testament of how fucking amazing what Namco has done with their netcode. I just know that, of the big 4 3D fighters, DoA's netcode is by far the worst.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Facebook

Can't confirm any dates yet but just to let you know that we're looking into updating DOA5'S online functions and fix some of the known issues reported to date.
We're looking into working on prioritized and quick fix issues making them available as an update ASAP. Issues requiring additional attention and time will be considered at a later stage.

Also as our appreciation to everyone who owns DOA5, we're planning a free DLC so be sure to come back for the latest!
Pictures of the DLC

fernoca

Twitter:
またDOA5を購入頂いた皆さんへの感謝の気持ちとして、本日は無料DLCを準備しています。続報をお待ちください

Google translation:
As gratitude to everyone who purchased a DOA5, today I have to prepare the DLC free of charge. Please wait for the follow-up.

"I have to prepare"... :p

The netcode is the strangest Ive seen.
Usually I get some lag playing other Aussies here in Australia. Yesterday I played an American and a Japanese guy (according to their XBL profiles) and the games ran perfectly.
One extreme to the other.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
So, any idea how to finish survival without using Lei Fang ? :/

Why not Leifang and what trick?

Facebook

Can't confirm any dates yet but just to let you know that we're looking into updating DOA5'S online functions and fix some of the known issues reported to date.
We're looking into working on prioritized and quick fix issues making them available as an update ASAP. Issues requiring additional attention and time will be considered at a later stage.

Also as our appreciation to everyone who owns DOA5, we're planning a free DLC so be sure to come back for the latest!

They are seriously listening to the fans!

Mesharey

OK Ayane has the same trick 11 p+k, not powerful like Hayabusa or LeiFang but you can use it.

Brad Wong has 180+ moves ? I'll leave him for later. -.-"
I have left for training Akira, Pai and Brad.

Grisby

I'm getting some lag on my end. But my connection isn't all that great so it might be that. Still, I'm having fun online despite being a total noob.

The online fight song gets me pumped.

How many points does it take to get to rank 'E'?

branny

OK Ayane has the same trick 11 p+k, not powerful like Hayabusa or LeiFang but you can use it.

Brad Wong has 180+ moves ? I'll leave him for later. -.-"
I have left for training Akira, Pai and Brad.
I think Tina's backflip works, too.

Also, I feel sorry for people who are doing the training for the VF characters without VF experience. The instructions in this game aren't very specific, so some people won't be aware how certain attacks work (timing, positioning) or have practice doing crap like the scratch for Akira's 1-frame knee, lol.

coincidentally, I just completed Story mode and went into training with Akira to see how well they translated his stuff to the game. It's pretty spot on. True Dragon Lancer feels a bit easier to hit than in VF5FS and SPOD is definitely easier to do because of the command changes, but the 1 frame knee is pretty spot on in timing, if maybe the tiniest bit lenient. I'm just impressed I can still do most of my usual VF combos with him.

This just really, really disappoints me that Aoi wasn't included. You'd think she would have been a shoe-in given the nature of her style in VF. :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How many points does it take to get to rank 'E'?

However many it says in Lobby mode for you.

I'm glad they're giving "free" DLC out. But if it's just the pre-order outfits they can simply fuck off. I want something new that isn't the other store's "pre-order outfits."

Though getting those as a complete pack would be nice. But give me male swim-suits or the ability to get Lisa and the other girls's skimpy outfits MUCH easier with a free unlock for being a day-one purchaser.

That said, no news about the PS3's random freezing/hard-locks and fixing the throw down function is a bit concerning.

OMG when Hitomi *rawrs* at Eliot I about died. Probably the most amazingly adorable thing to happen in an entertainment medium.

Ayane slapping Elliot and Elliot blocking made me :lol when Ayane said "so it seems you've been training." Throw back to Dimensions. :lol

branny

^I'd love DOA vs. VF to come true. :(

This just really, really disappoints me that Aoi wasn't included. You'd think she would have been a shoe-in given the nature of her style in VF. :(
I've come to the conclusion that Sarah and Pai were only in it because they were the original women of 3D fighting, while Akira is in it because he's the face of VF. It helps me cope with the lack of Eileen. :p

Ayane slapping Elliot and Elliot blocking made me :lol when Ayane said "so it seems you've been training." Throw back to Dimensions. :lol
That was the best part of story mode, seriously.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I love how active this thread is. It's nice to see fellow DOA fans.

This is the tightest feeling DOA in my opinion. The fighting is just crisp, clean, and good looking. Buttery smooth kung fu. No other fighting game has ever felt so good to play, and for me, DOA5 keeps that tradition.

Top Bottom