• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

This is probably the best 3d fighter yet. Defense is a hell of a thing in this game though.

One thing I'm focusing on getting better at is when to punish with a throw. A lot of times, it seems like I just blocked a really heavy attack and there should be enough frames for a throw punish. But it's deceiving how a lot of those kinds of attacks leave my opponent with a quick enough recovery for a quick P to counter my throw.

BossLackey

Gold Member
This is probably the best 3d fighter yet. Defense is a hell of a thing in this game though.

One thing I'm focusing on getting better at is when to punish with a throw. A lot of times, it seems like I just blocked a really heavy attack and there should be enough frames for a throw punish. But it's deceiving how a lot of those kinds of attacks leave my opponent with a quick enough recovery for a quick P to counter my throw.

I know exactly what you mean. Feels like throwing is the hardest thing to do sometimes.

The_Monk

My CE is (hopefully) coming this afternoon! Very happy for the low price I managed to get it, can't wait to play it and hoping to be friendly to newcomers.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Finished Ryu's Command Training and now my thumb hurts. It's definitely the hardest so far with all those 360° throws (in combos). I hope I never have to do them again.

Mr_eX

Will watch. I hate Brad Wong, so difficult to play with and against.

It can be tricky fighting him especially if who ever you're playing knows what they're doing with him. I have the hardest time as Brad against people that do lots of mid-low mixups(Lisa, Kokoro) because I like to crush highs. Of course once I recognize their patterns I just start guarding and punishing which then makes them change how they're playing allowing me to set the pace and then it's over.

I figured out something with Hayate yesterday and if I can master it I may be near unbeatable with him. It completely negates Rigg, Jan Lee and Hitomi's pressure game. Don't really want to say what it is because I'm sure when other people figure it out that's all I'll see online.

Finished Ryu's Command Training and now my thumb hurts. It's definitely the hardest so far with all those 360° throws (in combos). I hope I never have to do them again.

Those are a lot easier on a stick.

On that topic, it's really messed up that TN would require analog stick specific inputs for some of the functionality in training mode, as if it didn't occur to them that people would be using arcade sticks for a fighting game.

Just got all the outfits (other than the 3 bikini's, not sure I'll ever get those.) I love this game, it's tied with Soul Calibur as my favorite fighting series now. I just wish you could play tag team against the AI with a friend online, that's my only complaint.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Just got all the outfits (other than the 3 bikini's, not sure I'll ever get those.)

I got Tina's last night pretty easily. This method will generally destroy the CPU on any difficulty with her and similar methods have been found for other characters.

Just pick Tina and do back+p+k, followed by down+throw for a follow-up grab. Do standing kicks if the cpu isn't getting hit and always do kicks as you are getting up after z knockdown.

It took me a few tries, but I ended up destroying the cpu on legendary arcade.

I got Tina's last night pretty easily. This method will generally destroy the CPU on any difficulty with her and similar methods have been found for other characters.

Just pick Tina and do back+p+k, followed by down+throw for a follow-up grab. Do standing kicks if the cpu isn't getting hit and always do kicks as you are getting up after z knockdown.

It took me a few tries, but I ended up destroying the cpu on legendary arcade.
Yeah... Even with that trick it still seems like a pain in the ass since you have to play a few times just to even unlock legendary. I'll think about it.

I found Hayabusa spam easier to exploit than the Tina flip. Its what i used to get Christie and Tinas suits.
Just go into his ninja stance at a distance (7p or 2p+k) and then 6k when the opponent is within range. Great range and power and safer than 4p+k IMO.
7+k is what I use to escape close quarters.
Still not effective or cheap enough to beat survival mode though :'(

It can be tricky fighting him especially if who ever you're playing knows what they're doing with him. I have the hardest time as Brad against people that do lots of mid-low mixups(Lisa, Kokoro) because I like to crush highs. Of course once I recognize their patterns I just start guarding and punishing which then makes them change how they're playing allowing me to set the pace and then it's over.

I figured out something with Hayate yesterday and if I can master it I may be near unbeatable with him. It completely negates Rigg, Jan Lee and Hitomi's pressure game. Don't really want to say what it is because I'm sure when other people figure it out that's all I'll see online.

Please do tell us hehe. :)

Kinyou

Is there some website that lists how to unlock all the costumes?

Also any tips on how to do Ryu's Izuna throw? I feel like I have just 100ms to do that button input which seems absolutely impossible to me.

any Euro PS3 players want to play later? i'm a rookie, but i'll play anybody. drop me a PM.

Select + R2 or RT.

thanks.

On that topic, it's really messed up that TN would require analog stick specific inputs for some of the functionality in training mode, as if it didn't occur to them that people would be using arcade sticks for a fighting game.

yes, this is very bad. i have to keep a controller near for the demonstration.

Is there some website that lists how to unlock all the costumes?
Here are the total number of costumes per character (not counting preorder DLC):

Hayate - 4
Zack - 4
Tina - 7
Rig - 4
Eliot - 5
Mila - 6
Lisa - 7
Leifang - 8
Kokoro - 6
Kasumi - 6
Jann Lee - 5
Hitomi - 6
Helena - 5
Ryu - 4
Christie - 6
Brad - 5
Bayman - 5
Bass - 4
Ayane - 6
Alpha-152 - 3
Akira - 2
Sarah - 2
Pai - 2

Everyone starts with 2. Kasumi gets an extra 2 just by beating story mode I believe. After that, play Arcade solo, arcade tag, time attack solo and time attack tag with the character you want to unlock outfits for on the easiest setting possible to earn one outfit each time. (In tag, only the P1 character earns an outfit.)

Kinyou

Here are the total number of costumes per character (not counting preorder DLC):

Hayate - 4
Zack - 4
Tina - 7
Rig - 4
Eliot - 5
Mila - 6
Lisa - 7
Leifang - 8
Kokoro - 6
Kasumi - 6
Jann Lee - 5
Hitomi - 6
Helena - 5
Ryu - 4
Christie - 6
Brad - 5
Bayman - 5
Bass - 4
Ayane - 6
Alpha-152 - 3
Akira - 2
Sarah - 2
Pai - 2

Everyone starts with 2. Kasumi gets an extra 2 just by beating story mode I believe. After that, play Arcade solo, arcade tag, time attack solo and time attack tag with the character you want to unlock outfits for on the easiest setting possible to earn one outfit each time. (In tag, only the P1 character earns an outfit.)
Ah thanks. That should be simple enough.

Dantis

Encountered that hilarious guy online again who sits pressing P over and over. Beat him again, but it seems not everyone is so fortunate. He's a C- now.

akaoni

Banned
That moment when you encounter a 1 round ranked match and win, only for the host to ragequit too late.

ZhttL.gif

Sylver

Banned
Is usual to get "two" PREMIUM DOWNLOADABLE SWIMSUITS VOUNCHER redeemer PSN cards in the same PS3 Dead Or Alive 5 collector's edition box?
When I redeem one the things go ok, but when I do with the other, just appear the same swimsuits pack. Does this mean I have one to give away or really exists two different packs?

Het_Nkik

Is usual to get "two" PREMIUM DOWNLOADABLE SWIMSUITS VOUNCHER redeemer PSN cards in the same PS3 Dead Or Alive 5 collector's edition box?
When I redeem one the things go ok, but when I do with the other, just appear the same swimsuits pack. Does this mean I have one to give away or really exists two different packs?

Yeah, it was only one voucher for the swimsuits. Looks like you got an extra by mistake.

Sylver

Banned
Yeah, it was only one voucher for the swimsuits. Looks like you got an extra by mistake.

Great, thank you, then I change one european Collector's Edition Swimsuits card by one european Devils Black Bunny Swimsuit (I have the angels one :S). If anybody is interested PM me.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Just got this here, actually really impressed so far.

One question: anybody figured out if the throwdown ghosts (AI) you can play of registered fighters actually updates itself over time? I.e. you add someone to your registered fighters list, and when they play online the throwdown ghost in your list gets updated.

What recent 3D fighter is this game most similar too? I really enjoy SCV and still play it on occasion, liked VF5 and wasn't crazy bout T6 (have yet to try TT2).

Kai Dracon

What recent 3D fighter is this game most similar too? I really enjoy SCV and still play it on occasion, liked VF5 and wasn't crazy bout T6 (have yet to try TT2).

It's like a looser VF, but tighter than previous DOAs. It actually has 8 way run movement a bit like Soul Calibur. Nothing is much like Tekken at all.

Evidently the guest VF characters (Akira, Sarah, Pai) are so close to VF that they do play much like VF5. In that sense the engines are not that different.

Dantis

Just got this here, actually really impressed so far.

One question: anybody figured out if the throwdown ghosts (AI) you can play of registered fighters actually updates itself over time? I.e. you add someone to your registered fighters list, and when they play online the throwdown ghost in your list gets updated.

You can play Throwdown ghosts? Is that what adding to a fighter list does then? I haven't looked into it at all.

Mangotron

It's kind of like a mix between SCV and SFIV if it was 3d. It's possibly less entertaining then SCV to a more casual fighting game player though (combos are less visually appealing, I don't think the animations are as good.).

Post was late today so I was actually thinking I wouldn't get it. First time Amazons let me down on release date shipping. Only played a bit so far. A little bit if the story (I'm up to Rig's chapter) some Kokoro to unlock all her costumes and a little Lei Fang just now. I'm very bad with Lei Fang.

I'm not really sure I understand the Critical Burst system yet and I've yet to land a power blow, but I'm liking it so far, although I need to shake the Tekken out of my system, after having to acclimatise myself to TTT2.

Shadybiz

Didn't get much of an opportunity to play this weekend, but looking forward to getting some time in later tonight. I like the command training in this one...much easier than SFxT, and the demos really help. I think the training in that one was one of the reasons I quit the game.

Kai Dracon

You can play Throwdown ghosts? Is that what adding to a fighter list does then? I haven't looked into it at all.

In the online menu, your registered fighters list lets you send throwdown challenges to people you have registered, or fight an AI of them. Like the streetpass throwdown ghosts in DoA Dimensions.

I'm curious if, over time, the fight history and strength of the AI ghost will increase as people play online and their stats get synched over PSN/Live.

akaoni

Banned

It plays like Virtua Fighter except for the inclusion of the 'hold' system where you can counter in the middle of an attack string. DOA/Virtua Fighter go really well together. If you liked SC I would definitely say it's just as friendly as that. Don't worry about not being fond of Tekken, it's a bit of a loner in terms of how it plays.

I would say DOA was designed with Virtua Fighter as the basis, and Soul Calibur was intended to resemble these rather than Bamco's own Tekken series.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
It's kind of like a mix between SCV and SFIV if it was 3d. It's possibly less entertaining then SCV to a more casual fighting game player though (combos are less visually appealing, I don't think the animations are as good.).

Lol no.

Have they said if/when DLC may be coming? I wouldn't mind paying for a few extra characters, costumes or stages.

This tuesday.

Dantis

In the online menu, your registered fighters list lets you send throwdown challenges to people you have registered, or fight an AI of them. Like the streetpass throwdown ghosts in DoA Dimensions.

I'm curious if, over time, the fight history and strength of the AI ghost will increase as people play online and their stats get synched over PSN/Live.

Huh. That's a lot cooler than I'd realised.

Also, that one-punch guy is still going. Beat him again. Dude is determined.

Skilletor

Um, no.

It's most similar to VF. It's like a less technical VF. It's nothing like SF4 or SC5. At all.

Dantis

If they are literally doing the same move over and over, it could very easily be a turbo button being used to get ranks while AFK?

They choose their character instantly though. They're probably using turbo, but someone has to be at the console.

Feel sorry for the presumably countless people who've been beaten by him. I'd love to know his win ratio.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
They choose their character instantly though. They're probably using turbo, but someone has to be at the console.

Feel sorry for the presumably countless people who've been beaten by him. I'd love to know his win ratio.
Wouldn't he just have to set punch to X/A and have it repeat forever?

akaoni

Banned

It would just be a case of changing the controls so that X is punch, and I could leave my controller there all day without pushing any buttons, I wouldn't even need to hold the button in. X would select character, costume, punch all day, then go back to the ranked match search screen and find a game all by itself over and over. Do they do other stuff in between or something?

Top Bottom