• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere

Tik-Tok

I got banned a couple weeks ago. I hadn't even played anything for a couple weeks. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the react profile on my console. But that's pure speculation.

Kokonoe

Banned
https://twitter.com/libretro/status/351013237560586240
m8mvmJS.png

I hope this happens by the end of the year in time for the Retrode add-on. Get hype.

Hyllian

Hi! Long time since my last post!

I have a new shader for those who like play Retroarch on a PS3 CFW'ed.

I've figured out something interesting. Additionally to what xBR filter does, the dilation shader narrow a bit more dark edges and stretch light edges, giving a HD feel. It's very good with cartoons.

It's in beta stage yet. Get here the dilation shader:
https://anonfiles.com/file/ca1d2f800e563f9c3086cfc181f40b0f

Put it after any xBR shader. My favorite is this combination:

shader0: 5xbr-3.7c.cg
filter0: nearest
scale: 5x

shader1: dilation.cg
filter1:nearest
scale:1x

Use at 5 times the native resolution and you'll see a dramatic increase in crispness!

This is what I've got:

Other examples:

Original ------> 3xBR+Dilation:

Some screens I've took from Retroarch running on PS3 with this combo shaders:

http://imgur.com/a/Sujdm

Hyllian

Some shmups:

Original ---> 3xBR+dilation:

Does anyne know if any of the backup managers (MultiMan, Iris, etc.) support BDEMU under 4.46 REX yet?

I see that 4.46 REX definitely still offers BDEMU so it should just be a case of the backup managers being updated to support it.

Is there any way to replicate disc swapping? I've been playing off my discs for Dynasty Warriors 7 XL in order to do the disc swap Remix option with DW7. It'd be nice to just have it on my hdd.

I know the combo of 4.46 REX & 4.46.01 Multiman work.
It doesn't unfortunately; MultiMan 4.46.01 gives a message saying that BDEMU isn't supported on this firmware at launch, and refuses to map games to the emulated PLAYSTATION 3 DISC. So if you have a broken Blu-Ray drive you can't currently use the BDEMU method to get around it on 4.46 REX and MultiMan 4.46.01, unless there's some new workaround I don't know about.

It doesn't unfortunately; MultiMan 4.46.01 gives a message saying that BDEMU isn't supported on this firmware at launch, and refuses to map games to the emulated PLAYSTATION 3 DISC. So if you have a broken Blu-Ray drive you can't currently use the BDEMU method to get around it on 4.46 REX and MultiMan 4.46.01, unless there's some new workaround I don't know about.

I updated last night to 4.46 and played a random game just fine. Maybe it was something I didn't do.

djblue89

Guys I need some help concerning going to 4.46 D-REX,

I am currently on 4.31 DEX spoofed to 4.46 using the SGK spoofer and now I want to go to the new Rebug firmware, but when I go to install it from the XMB or Recovery mode it keeps telling me that the firmware is corrupt or that it gives me an error message.

What do I need to do to install this firmware, I've tried redownloading it and nothing else happens.

Do I need to go back to 3.55 DEX ?

Or is their an easier way to go about ?

Thanks Gaf

Guys I need some help concerning going to 4.46 D-REX,

I am currently on 4.31 DEX spoofed to 4.46 using the SGK spoofer and now I want to go to the new Rebug firmware, but when I go to install it from the XMB or Recovery mode it keeps telling me that the firmware is corrupt or that it gives me an error message.

What do I need to do to install this firmware, I've tried redownloading it and nothing else happens.

Do I need to go back to 3.55 DEX ?

Or is their an easier way to go about ?

Thanks Gaf
I don't know about the D-REX firmware, but if you're upgrading from a REX to REX firmware you have to flash your console back to CEX in Rebug toolbox (i.e. go to CEX/CEX) first, and then reflash back to DEX (in Rebug toolbox) once you've generated a new DEX dump for the new REX firmware (if you're wanting to go DEX/DEX). Do Rebug themselves give any specific D-REX upgrade steps? Otherwise you could try asking in the REBUG support forum at ps3crunch.net, the REBUG guys answer posts there.

Have you thought about maybe just using REX and then flashing between CEX and DEX when you need to? It takes about 10 seconds once you have the dumps ready. AFAIK on REX in DEX/DEX mode you can do anything that you'd normally be able to do in a regular DEX firmware. The BDEMU problem at the moment seems to be more a case of backup manager support than firmware support for example.

djblue89

I don't know about the D-REX firmware, but if you're upgrading from a REX to REX firmware you have to flash your console back to CEX in Rebug toolbox (i.e. go to CEX/CEX) first, and then reflash back to DEX (in Rebug toolbox) once you've generated a new DEX dump for the new REX firmware (if you're wanting to go DEX/DEX). Do Rebug themselves give any specific D-REX upgrade steps? Otherwise you could try asking in the REBUG support forum at ps3crunch.net, the REBUG guys answer posts there.

Have you thought about maybe just using REX and then flashing between CEX and DEX when you need to? It takes about 10 seconds once you have the dumps ready. AFAIK on REX in DEX/DEX mode you can do anything that you'd normally be able to do in a regular DEX firmware. The BDEMU problem at the moment seems to be more a case of backup manager support than firmware support for example.

The thing is that I am already on DEX so how would I go to getting back to CEX in a safe manner, since I know that many people have bricked their console trying to go back to CEX.

D-REX seems to be a good firmware it's just that for some odd reason I can't seem to install it on my spoofed 4.46 which is really strange.

I have a ps3 and vita both with the latest firmware. Do I have any chance of activating remote play for my ps3 games to my vita? Besides the very few that have it, of course.

Agkel

I'm this close to throwing the whole thing out of the window. Here are the facts in case anyone has any idea how the heck I should proceed.

-My console is a fat 80 gb (the one that came with MGS)
-My console was on 3.55 kmeaw and everything was working last time I used it
-The console was safely stored away for a little over a year
-I upgraded straight to rogero 2.05 through xmb
-After upgrading the system info showed 4.31
-Homebrew would not launch and it would stay and freeze at a black screen. Even tried uninstalling everything and trying something like the latest multiman.
-I decide to downgrade using the 4.25 to 3.55 pup
-I downgrade successfully and my system shows 4.21
-Homebrew wont launch, but I can install applications
-I can detect update pups through xmb but when I choose them and go through the whole accept / yes options it restarts and when it's about to flash it says data corrupted no matter what cfw I try to flash
-If I try to flash through recovery, the xmb will stay over 15 min "looking" only to return with no data was found (ie it is not reading the usb file)
-I have tried 4 different usb sticks and one external hard drive to host the PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP file to no avail
-Ive made sure the drives are all fat32 and have tried formatting them to see if it would get fixed.
-I did a backup of my drive and restore everything on the system to default, formatting also the ps3 drive through the format util in xmb. Still the same problems

An additional problem is that at some point I read that I needed to activate BD by inserting any disc in order for homebrew to run. I try a dvd movie and motorstorm and the drive wont take the disc. As in there is absolutely no reaction from the PS3 when I put the disc in. No sound, no motor no nothing. If I try to insert the disc while the ps3 is off it will turn on the ps3 but the disc wont get "swallowed". The BD was working to perfection last time I had used the console.

This is a console that has seen very little use. I played MGS, heavenly sword to completion and a lot of LBP1 LBP2 and the Pixelmonster game, and maybe 2 or 3 hours of 12 or 15 titles I own, thats about it.

I have spent my entire weekend on this, and honestly if there's no easy solution to this, I'll just throw it in the closet and go back to my other consoles.

The quote was the problem I was having. I managed to downgrade to 3.55 today by changing the hard drive and using a different usb stick, which leads me to believe I had a corrupt hard drive in the first place.

I was wondering if any of you have a clean Kmeaw Link I can trust to download from?

What I plan on doing is:
-Installing Kmeaw in order for me to enable QA
-Enable QA
-Try to remarry my blueray drive with the system, since it still show the above symptoms
-And then, either stay on kmeaw or go up to rebug.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm not up to date on any of this stuff as seen in my other thread.

I have a 60GB Fat PS3 that still has the Firmware with Other OS available. Which CFW is best to use with it?

jcm

So whatever came of this? No real homebrew to speak of, right? OP hasn't been updated in over a year, and post #2 is still reserved.

Sorry, what's not clear. The op lists three homebrew applications: showtime, retroarch, and multiman. Has anything else been developed?

SACDRipper, FTP. What exactly is it that you require? I mean, the thing can run OtherOS, which should open your world to just about anything you need...

jcm

SACDRipper, FTP. What exactly is it that you require? I mean, the thing can run OtherOS, which should open your world to just about anything you need...

Nobody wrote any OtherOS software, either. I had high hopes for OtherOS, and was disappointed when they removed it, but it never amounted to much. There was some talk that maybe the scene would be invigorated when it moved to homebrew. The wii homebrew scene was pretty lively.

Thanks. That's a pretty sad little collection, but I guess it's something. I suspect the exotic ps3 hardware was really the limiting factor. A PS4 homebrew scene would likely be much more fruitful.

anyway to play online with the CFW now that 4.5 is released or I have to wait for an updated CFW or spoofer?

You get can online with the latest firmware. Be prepared for the bannage soon after. You shouldn't have your CFW machine connected to the internet at all. Sony can see you even if you aren't logged in to PSN. If you need to FTP to your PS3 then do it through a router not connected to the internet.

You get can online with the latest firmware. Be prepared for the bannage soon after. You shouldn't have your CFW machine connected to the internet at all. Sony can see you even if you aren't logged in to PSN. If you need to FTP to your PS3 then do it through a router not connected to the internet.

This is the first time I hear this! I never logged into PSN since I went CFW, but I've always had the PS3 connected to the internet since I FTP all the time, and sometimes download demo PKGs directly from the PS3. Also used the web browser, and the YouTube app inside Showtime... it's always displaying the "What's new" stuff on the XMB.

Am I boned?

tpax

Banned
This is the first time I hear this! I never logged into PSN since I went CFW, but I've always had the PS3 connected to the internet since I FTP all the time, and sometimes download demo PKGs directly from the PS3. Also used the web browser, and the YouTube app inside Showtime... it's always displaying the "What's new" stuff on the XMB.

Am I boned?

There is no case known, that someone got banned just for having his ps3 connected, so you'll probably be fine.
My ps3 is connected for years with cfw, I even signed few times in, and everything still works like it should.

Am I boned?

There is no case known, that someone got banned just for having his ps3 connected, so you'll probably be fine.
My ps3 is connected for years with cfw, I even signed few times in, and everything still works like it should.

Sony knows you exist. And there are plenty of cases where people who haven't signed into PSN for ages all of a sudden got banned out of nowhere. Better to be safe than sorry. Because if your console gets banned then that's that for connecting to PSN unless you do some things to get it working again. Take the precautions. There are ways to take care of most of the things you'd need to PS3 connected to the internet elsewhere. But if you wish to play with that fire then be my guest.

Trojita

The latest Rebug REX, I believe.

Is there a good guide for installing this for someone new to working with PS3 CFW? I checked the Rebug Rex site and there was a lot of stuff on there and I checked the wiki in the OP but it was specifying a different CFW.

jrcbandit

I thought I was safe and got banned. I was running custom firmware, originally I had ripped all my games to an internal 1 tb drive. I was a PS Plus member and connected my PS3 online without issue for a couple of months, downloading PS Plus games and watching Netflix. Then I heard they banned for detecting internal directories that shouldn't be there and for apps like Showtime. I deleted all the apps, erased all the directories on the hard drive where I ripped my games, and ran some cleaner to erase history. Still got banned when all I was doing was watching Netflix and playing The Last of Us off a disc instead of an internal rip. So Sony can easily detect custom firmware and can randomly ban you, I was lucky for a few months.

mackaveli

What's the lastest CFW to get so I can go online?

I forget what CFW I am currently on but it notifies me to download the latest Sony Official FW so I know I am not up to date.

THanks

What's the lastest CFW to get so I can go online?

I forget what CFW I am currently on but it notifies me to download the latest Sony Official FW so I know I am not up to date.

THanks

A 4.46 or 4.50 CFW. If getting on PSN means this much it may be time to either get on OFW or buy a new PS3.

It'll be quite awhile before somebody gives CFW users a safe way to get online. I'm still going to tell you it isn't worth the hassle. But it's your call.

Is there a good guide for installing this for someone new to working with PS3 CFW? I checked the Rebug Rex site and there was a lot of stuff on there and I checked the wiki in the OP but it was specifying a different CFW.

I believe the steps were posted in this thread several times, probably by the poster Endless Flood. I'll try to look for it on my computer if I have it saved.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I'm basing my judgment on the wii scene strictly from afar. Based on this list there's lots of software written, but I couldn't tell you if any of it is any good.
Sorry, I thought you were talking strictly about homebrew games. There's a shitload of other stuff released for CFW PS3s if you're talking about all software.

If you're using a CFW PS3 and taking it online, you're always running the risk that you'll be banned from the PSN. But if you don't put your PS3 online to avoid that, then you've effectively already banned yourself :)

Personally I have two PS3s, one strictly for CFW use (connected online, but not used on the PSN), and one for using on the PSN (on OFW). From the point of view of online cheating, etc., I'd actually prefer that no CFW PS3s could get on the PSN, but that's just me.

If continued and uninterrupted PSN access is crucial to you, maybe CFW is not the way to go though.

I believe the steps were posted in this thread several times, probably by the poster Endless Flood. I'll try to look for it on my computer if I have it saved.
Endless Flood is a different NeoGAF poster to me (but don't worry, that even confuses me sometimes lol). Actually cameron posted the best summary I think:
Thanks. Just updated and everything went fine. Following your suggestions and what deank said in another forum post, here's what I did:

Kmeaw to Rebug 4.21.1 REX

1. Installed REBUG-TOOLBOX-02.00.00.pkg (suggested by deank for Kmeaw users to toggle qa flag)
2. In Rebug Toolbox -> Utilities -> Toggle QA Flag was set to Enable.
3. Uninstalled crap (I didn't have any spoofers, but I had some ancient packages from last year) and ejected whatever disk in drive.
4. Renamed REBUG_4.21.1_REX_PS3UPDAT.PUP to PS3UPDAT.PUP and placed it in /PS3/UPDATE/ folder on FAT32 USB drive.
5. USB drive was plugged in the right most USB port.
6. Updated firmware via Settings -> System Update -> Update via Storage Media.

Trojita

Thanks guys, so I take it these instructions work with the latest Rebug Rex version?

What are Cex and Dex systems?

Top Bottom