• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 at gamescom - Spa confirmed

AngryBird

Banned
256364227_1041_good_troll_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

WTF? why? I'm not a fan or hater of either game..

Look at my posting history...

Just think driveclub has made better progress in terms of gfx and tech; like dynamic tod, higher draw distance, more detailed env, etc.

Forza 5 still doesn't have that afaik... tell how was I wrong that would make a troll?

Forza however seems to have better car model +shading and better cockpit/interior.

Happy?!!!

Xanadu

Banned

Just think driveclub has made better progress in terms of gfx and tech; like dynamic tod, higher draw distance, more detailed env, etc.

Forza 5 still doesn't have that afaik... tell how was I wrong that would make a troll?

Forza however seems to have better car model +shading and better cockpit/interior.

Happy?!!!
say something negative about a game? you are a troll apparently

Xanadu

Banned
Surprise, open environment is having more detail and a greater view distance than Laguna Seca.

Who want's to drive that, supercars dude! ;)

i still think they could have more detail if they tried, sand and rumble strips dont look much higher res than forza 4

SparksBCN

Neo Member

Happy?!!!

Well, that part where you say:

This is quite a bit uglier than dc, mostly due to the low detail environments.

To me it feels like little upgrade from last gen

Low detail envinroments? Perhaps you're giving Forza 4 too much credit, because it's far from being a "little upgrade". We went from a pretty lifeless track with almost no crowds to a track with large crowds everywhere, lots of camera flashes, helicopters, balloons, lots of tents and a very busy paddock, dust in the wind, etc...

Also:

The other track in the city feels like the the buildings are made out of cartboard and lifeless.

You should take a look at pictures of the real streets recreated in the game. I think you will be surprised...

derFeef

Career mode writeup:
Forza 5's career mode is no longer focused on starting with cheap cars and working your way up the economic ladder. Instead, it's a sort of choose-your-own-adventure novel spanning numerous styles and eras throughout the history of motorsports. You can begin in any of eight leagues, divided into categories such as exotics, vintage, and sport compact. But within those eight leagues are 42 much more specialized events.

http://www.gamespot.com/events/game...the-life-of-an-eccentric-billionaire-6413420/

SparksBCN

Neo Member
say something negative about a game? you are a troll apparently

Well...

i still think they could have more detail if they tried, sand and rumble strips dont look much higher res than forza 4

Go drive a few laps at Laguna Seca in Forza 4, then come back and watch this video (it's offscreen, keep that in mind): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mycj5vQZk-I

Then tell me with a straight face that "sand and rumble strips dont look much higher res than forza 4".

Yeah, to me that's trolling, pretty much on the same level than people saying it looks like a current gen game or like Forza 4 itself.

Xanadu

Banned
Well...

Go drive a few laps at Laguna Seca in Forza 4, then come back and watch this video (it's offscreen, keep that in mind): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mycj5vQZk-I

Then tell me with a straight face that "sand and rumble strips dont look much higher res than forza 4".

Yeah, to me that's trolling, pretty much on the same level than people saying it looks like a current gen game or like Forza 4 itself.

they do look better, but not as much as i had hoped for next gen, project cars still has higher res textures from what i can see

project_cars_13524145127685.jpg

obviously its better to wait for direct screen footage but from what ive seen i am not blown away graphically

SparksBCN

Neo Member
obviously its better to wait for direct screen footage but from what ive seen i am not blown away graphically

You are comparing a screencap from a PC game maxed out to an offscreen video. That quality can't be seen in pCars videos... You know the hardware specs that the game demands to look like that? Comparing with the specs of the Xbox One, and considering Forza 5 is a launch game, I think the game looks pretty good, and fairly better than Forza 4, in terms of car models, shading, and the tracks are much more rich and alive (Laguna Seca has never been a looker in the first place).

Xanadu

Banned
You are comparing a screencap from a PC game maxed out to an offscreen video. That quality can't be seen in pCars videos... You know the hardware specs that the game demands to look like that? Comparing with the specs of the Xbox One, and considering Forza 5 is a launch game, I think the game looks pretty good, and fairly better than Forza 4, in terms of car models, shading, and the tracks are much more rich and alive (Laguna Seca has never been a looker in the first place).

i guess my expectations were just too high, i think the games looks amazing in the garage shots though

It sounds a little more flexible but in all honesty, I kind of like the rags to riches style of previous games..
Can't wait to hear some Top Gear insights..

need for speed got rid of this too :/ i hope GT carries on as usual

saladine1

i guess my expectations were just too high, i think the games looks amazing in the garage shots though

need for speed got rid of this too :/ i hope GT carries on as usual

Yeah, I know people are getting tired of the formula that GT made famous, but I feel there's a better sense of progression this way.
I actually don't like games that give me anything and everything from the beginning. I like earning my way to the good stuff.
A sense of accomplishment is what i'm getting at..

It sounds like Forza is doing away with all that...

Xanadu

Banned
Yeah, I know people are getting tired of the formula that GT made famous, but I feel there's a better sense of progression this way.
I actually don't like games that give me anything and everything from the beginning. I like earning my way to the good stuff.
A sense of accomplishment is what i'm getting at..

It sounds like Forza is doing away with all that...

yes thats why in forza i did not accept the free cars for playing the previous game, it ruins the feeling of when you save up and get that first sports car, tbh the last forza game that had that feeling was 2. sad really

I'm actually fine with a more open-ended career structure. I honestly can't stand puttering along in shitboxes for the first 6 hours of the game so if the new league structure lets me hop into something more interesting from the start, I'm all for it. As much as the traditional progression system imparts a feeling of accomplishment, like you've reached the summit of a mountain when you finally get to the quick stuff, by now the formula has more than worn out its welcome, at least for me.

Still no Ford Focus videos?

BOOM!

SparksBCN

Neo Member
I'm actually fine with a more open-ended career structure. I honestly can't stand puttering along in shitboxes for the first 6 hours of the game so if the new league structure lets me hop into something more interesting from the start, I'm all for it. As much as the traditional progression system imparts a feeling of accomplishment, like you've reached the summit of a mountain when you finally get to the quick stuff, by now the formula has more than worn out its welcome, at least for me.

My feelings exactly. After playing GT3, GT4, Forza 1, 2, 3, GT5 and Forza 4, this formula is becoming a bit tiring, so it's refreshing to see a more open career structure. Even so, I can see why many people like starting with econoboxes and I think it should be an option as well.

I didn't have too much of an expectation considering the hardware specs of Xbox One and the fact that it's a launch title. Remember Forza 2? Looked quite crap and it launched 2 years into the console's life. I guess from here we can only go up.

Comparing with pCARS seems a bit unfair to me. I have a GTX 770 and I can't run the game maxed out if I want a smooth framerate with multiple cars, rain, and all that jazz. That should give you an idea of how much of a resource hog the game is. The only people I know who can run the game maxed out are those with expensive rigs and 2 GPU's in SLI or Crossfire.

Mascot

Does the steering wheel only have 180 degrees lock-to-lock in cockpit view? 90 degrees left and 90 degrees right?

It looks very silly at the moment, especially when other games have a more lifelike range.

Xanadu

Banned
Does the steering wheel only have 180 degrees lock-to-lock in cockpit view? 90 degrees left and 90 degrees right?

It looks very silly at the moment, especially when other games have a more lifelike range.

remember forza 3? was like 20 each way lol

I look at Forza this way:

Forza 2 > Forza 2
Forza 3 > Forza 3
Forza 4 > Forza 3.5
Forza 5 > Forza 4

Look at the graphical jump between 2 and 3 and it's huge. Then just imagine what T10 will do from 5 to 6.

Xanadu

Banned
I look at Forza this way:

Forza 2 > Forza 2
Forza 3 > Forza 3
Forza 4 > Forza 3.5
Forza 5 > Forza 4

Look at the graphical jump between 2 and 3 and it's huge. Then just imagine what T10 will do from 5 to 6.
forza 2 looked like complete shit though, forza 5 looks at least comparable to other next gen titles weve seen

shinnn

And I thought driveclub didn't look good ...

This is quite a bit uglier than dc, mostly due to the low detail environments.

To me it feels like little upgrade from last gen, no new technologie implementations are included. The other track in the city feels like the the buildings are made out of cartboard and lifeless.

But there is a clear distinctions bteween this and dc as dc seems to be the opposite of what I just said^
rofl.. the trolls still pushing this bullshit?

http://www.google.com/intl/en-US/culturalinstitute/worldwonders/prague/

p3tran

Banned
GlamFM said:
Not sure!

It feels a little smaller overall, sticks are also smaller and shorter - not sure how I feel about that.

Impulse triggers worked in the demo an were great.
hmm smaller is worse for me, not better.
sticks are firmer at least?

saladine1 said:
Still no Ford Focus videos?
BOOM!
nice, even if one thousand years far from blimblim quality :D

so, focus seem to handle good, also we saw there audi s3 and vw golf r20.
the bonnet reflections I really like, its of a much better quality than (anything) before.

ps

@Sparks: is this the old corkscrew from forza 4?

cork8eb7p.jpg

saladine1

BOOM!

Thanks man.
Like I've said before, it's so fucking nice to see life in Forza. The pre and post race segments is also most welcome.

I'm DYING to hear the cars without background noise. I can sense improvements in the audio but I need better videos.

Helios, BADNED anyone, when are we going to get direct feed footage?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Thanks man.
Like I've said before, it's so fucking nice to see life in Forza. The pre and post race segments is also most welcome.

I'm DYING to hear the cars without background noise. I can sense improvements in the audio but I need better videos.

Are our collective bodies ready?

lil smoke

Banned
Oh it always looks good until you're used to it, then the new one looks better. What you thought looked SO amazing, suddenly you're criticizing it next to the new one. Was it looking good or not?

Nothing, just thinking out loud.

I know I go thru this with everything. Its new and improved, but I thought it was good before???

saladine1

Are our collective bodies ready?
Been ready and waiting for a long time now..

Oh it always looks good until you're used to it, then the new one looks better. What you thought looked SO amazing, suddenly you're criticizing it next to the new one. Was it looking good or not?

I know I go thru this with everything. Its new and improved, but I thought it was good before???

I understand.

ShamePain

Banned

Something something perception.

Shaneus

Our boy Wiswell is on that shit. I think we know it'll sound pretty damn good ;)

Will it sound as good as this (from Assetto Corsa), though? I can't see it happening.

SparksBCN

Neo Member
@Sparks: is this the old corkscrew from forza 4?

Yes. They just added the runoff on the inside, but that's just changing the texture and properties of that area. They did the same with Road America and Circuit de Catalunya in Forza 4, adding a few missing tarmac runoffs.

I guess the reason you're asking these comes from the laserscanning debate. What you need to understand is that what laserscanning does is create a point cloud 3D modeling of the envinroment with a sub-inch accuracy, like this (I'm posting iRacing examples because we're talking about a racing game, but just search for "laserscan" on Google Images and you get the same result applied to buildings, cars, mountains, whatever...):

8456988824_00e096f715_o.jpg

8455891091_af336b8798_o.jpg

If they went back to laserscan the track, it would reflect all the changes done to it since 2005 that they aren't present in the game, and it would have the right camber and elevation changes, which doesn't (it's very obvious at the entrance of the Corkscrew). The conclusion I can draw from these Gamescom videos compared to how the track was in Forza 4 leads me to believe that they haven't laserscanned it, they just changed the ads in the billboards and bridges, and they added a couple of tarmac runoffs, something that doesn't need laserscanning at all (Forza 4 already did it for a couple of tracks as I said earlier).

As far as I'm concerned, the book is closed on this one. I guess we'll have to wait for Spa to see how well they've done with their scans. Please show soon, thx!

see5harp

Happy?!!!

and from the Driveclub thread after someone has mentioned that what he saw in person was still quite rough:

I guess we need d.f gameplay to make judgements and not just put together animation which always looks better.

Not sure why they haven't done this already.

ignore this clown.

Mascot

I reckon there's a third (über-expensive) Xbone steering wheel waiting in the wings, complete with h-gate shifter and clutch pedal. It would be crazy if the two toys we've seen so far are everything MS have planned. I'm guessing the Thrustmaster prototype we saw at E3 forms the basis for this, not for that Fisher-Price Ferrari thing they've just shown. The 'proper' full-fat wheel will probably be Forza branded as well.

Helios, are Turn 10 - as Microsoft's own in-house racing game team - consulted on decisions like this? Do you help with product development? And if what's been shown so far really is it regarding wheel support, what are your team's thoughts on the possibility of only having clutch-less wheels when the clutch is so well mapped in Forza games, and adds so much more to immersion?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Ugh, that "dynamic" music will be the very first thing that gets turned off. Terrible. Going to be forced into suffering through a race with it though with that stupid introductory race.

Sun glare really isn't that bad. Terrible off screen footage makes it seem worse than it is. Lens flare though, what the hell is the point? I didn't know people wanted a camera simulated where the drivers head is meant to be instead of actual human eyes.

The driver model is thankfully much improved though one of the videos of the P1 when it rolls up it still looks to have the granny driving position while the seat is still right back.

Top Bottom