• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge: PS4 is your next console... maybe

Nibiru

Banned
Better hardware does not equate to a better machine, it never has.

This is true but if everything else it pretty much on par ie software development, ips, OS and all that then better hardware on one does equal the better machine. It doesn't always equate to a better machine but it certainly can.

Majmun

X1 has better games so far, isnt this suppose to be the number 1 factor amongst gamers? Surely most people on GAF recognise this and will buy the console with the best games. Sometimes we need to sift through all the fud in the console wars to see the truth.

X1 has better games so far

Except it doesn't...?

Hindle

Banned
What's coming next for the X360?

Ps3 still has the Puppeteer, GT6, Rain and Beyond: Two Souls lining up for the system as exclusives. And of course niche titles such as Drakengard 3

MS has abandoned the X360.

Last year you received Halo 4 and Forza Horizon plus a few more I'm forgetting. 2011 there was Gears 3 and Forza 4 plus XBLA titles. All of these games sold well and were received well critically. Hardly abandoning gamers.

The console is in its 8th year, so yes the first party line up is now coming to an end as the focus is on the X1.

I also expect this year to be the last hurrah for the PS3, and in the 8th year the games will begin to become less frequent.

Zophar

The Xbox One is no longer a total catastrophe, but there's still very few compelling reasons to own one over a PS4. Fact of the matter is while it's gone from industry poison to somewhat competitive, there is still a massive value gulf between it and the competition.

Derrick01

Banned
Microsoft doubled down on thier most successful franchises in the later years of the 360. Every publisher also did this. It's not just MS who stopped releasing new IP, it was everyone.

TLOU was Sonys first new IP since 2010, before this they relied on thier established franchises. The idea that MS abandoned the 360 in the last 4 years is nonsense.

We're not talkign about new IPs, we're talking about games in general. MS not only "doubled down on their most successful franchises"....that's all they did. 7 games in ~4 years, in only 3 IPs.

Even if TLoU was the only new IP Sony released in that same time, they had more than 30 exclusives in total. Which means people had games to play besides multiplatform games for those years.

Valnen

Compare theirs with Sony's... it's not even fair. Long term, PS4 will have much better games.

Agreed. But that IS just an opinion. Hell, Infamous looks better to me than any launch game on either system. If this generation is anything like the last one my favorite console games will either be Sony exclusive or multiplatform.

Really...? What about Starhawk? What about Gravity Daze? Plus they have Rain, Puppeteer and Beyond this year...

I dont think he knows anything about playstation

edit: can someone please give me a compelling arguement or a few for getting xbox over ps4? If its your prefence then cool. And its a genuine question

The 360 lineup is not diverse and substantial? Hard to take you seriously if you believe that.
I find it hard to people seriously when they use the term "Xbone". It was funny and appropriate when it first emerged but now it's just a tired meme, like the Titanfall one.

MS has gone a long way in pulling me back to their console but not quite far enough, that $100 price difference is a big hurdle.

Hindle

Banned
We're not talkign about new IPs, we're talking about games in general. MS not only "doubled down on their most successful franchises"....that's all they did. 7 games in ~4 years, in only 3 IPs.

Even if TLoU was the only new IP Sony released in that same time, they had more than 30 exclusives in total. Which means people had games to play besides multiplatform games for those years.

That's counting all the XBLA titles they released? The Kinect games they released?

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean other people don't.

Edit. 7m people bought the Kinect Sports series. Clearly people liked playing them. Dance Central, multi million selling franchise etc.

Derrick01

Banned
Just you wait for the classic, XBLA doesn't count cause they came out on PC, reply
Classic.

Well...many of the noteworthy games don't. I'm not sure why the word exclusive is so hard for some people to understand. If it came to PC or PS3 it's not exclusive, just like how I didn't include games that came to Vita when I said over 30 exclusives.

Becky

Banned

360 had a ton of exclusive games in XBLIG.

If it came to PC or PS3 it's not exclusive, just like how I didn't include games that came to Vita when I said over 30 exclusives.

I think he means console exclusive. . . but that doesn't count either I suspect.

360 had a ton of exclusive games in XBLIG.

You're only allowed to talk about 1st party retail titles.

Microsoft has already proven that they are not willing to support their console with a diverse and substantial lineup.

It's not impossible to change your ways. They're off to a good start at least.

Also I don't think ppl go into Gamestop and actually care who the publisher is when picking a title. Only looking at 1st party retail titles for diversity and being the main reason for software sales is very short sighted when 360 had alot of diversity and software sales overall.

"I'm gonna select the console that will make me company for the next 6-8 years just for the launch games"

Because that's all the console will have just like the 360 library.

Kater

Banned
PS4-console-war-610x343.jpg

This made me lol.
If the PS4 would come with a stand like this my interest in it would skyrocket! :D

LOL. This is the kind of nonsense that really does lower the level of discussion. So people are suckers now for buying a game console at $500 that they think not only has games they want to play, but is offering an overall experience that people are excited to get hands on with?

The only sucker is you for being so petty that you would go so far as to insult gamers for choosing to buy something they like

Your a sucker paying $500 because its pretty obvious that there will be a price drop within the first 12 months

Having said that I am sucker because I'm getting both day one but only because I am hopelessly addicted to Killer Instinct and Panzer Dragon and have bought every Playstation at launch.

That Giantbomb PAX panel where almost noone cheered when they asked who is buying an Xbox One was the first moment I was actualy scared for MS. The room exploded when they asked who is buying a PS4.

I think they are in even more trouble than I anticipated.

Things just come into focus better when you see these views prevalent in the real world and not just on internet forums.

What a stupid concern. Those of us getting an XB1 at launch have been enlightened by this army of PS4 warriors over and over again for months. Thank you but you must have failed on your mission on just a few of us. We still have a couple of months so they can still let us know what idiots we are for being duped by MS into believing we were going to be able to play some fun games for years to come. I look forward to the efforts.

It's not a stupid concern but obviously it's not one you care about. It sounds to me like you were one of those people that were A okay with all the DRM measures MS was force feeding at one point and saying "It doesn't affect me so why should I care".

I can't argue with you because you have made your choice and there really is no changing your mind and it's pretty much water under the bridge. What's pathetic is that you guys, yes you Xbox One buyers is that the minute someone does battle your gaming position, you feel as if they are mad that your buying one but completely don't realize that your opinions for the reason why is such a blanket excuse without proper rebuttal.

It's funny because I think the issue is, you have been duped for 5 years and when people tell you this, it doesn't matter. So as I said, no one is trying to change your mind. Please buy and enjoy your Xbox, I don't really care but please don't make it seem like Sony fanboys care so much about your buying decision because some of them don't. They just like busting your butt about how the side you are so confident on committing to, isn't doing the same for you... And still haven't but will give you all the promises in the world that they have yet to show.

Those are just passionate gamers, don't get mad. Funny because if you did happen to say something open minded about the competition as I or any gamer can say about MS, people (Insert opposing fanboy base here) wouldn't ride you or any Xbox One user so hard.

UnnDunn

Banned
Iedit: can someone please give me a compelling arguement or a few for getting xbox over ps4? If its your prefence then cool. And its a genuine question

PS4 is more of the same, with better graphics. Xbox One will provide lots of great new gameplay that PS4 can't replicate (largely thanks to bundled Kinect).

Derrick01

Banned
I think he means console exclusive. . . but that doesn't count either I suspect.

No, he doesn't get to ignore the entire PC platform just cuz.

I really can't understand how you guys don't get this. It's the simplest concept in the world. Even worse is you try to spin it like I'M the one trying to twist the argument to suit my position.

UnnDunn said:
Xbox One will provide lots of great new gameplay that PS4 can't replicate

Kinect is not going to be able to provide anything that gamers are going to appreciate over a standard controller. It's just too limited of a device with no real input. The best it can do is make some gimmicky applications in normal controller games, but again most will view it as "why can't I just do this with a controller".

PS4 is more of the same, with better graphics. Xbox One will provide lots of great new gameplay that PS4 can't replicate (largely thanks to bundled Kinect).

See this is why Sony fanboys jump on Yall so quick.. Look at this terrible answer. Lmao!

Explain how the PS4 is more of the same with better graphics?

What does the Xbox One do that is entirely more different than the PS4 gaming wise that is so much of a top advantage?

What new type of game play does the Xbox One give? What game play has the Kinect historically shown that is better than anything else that the PS4 can't do? From what I've seen so far, Voice commands and little hand movements are the only game enhancing thing it has done which are not so enhancing over the PS4 especially if it's capable on the Eye..

So what is really something the Xbox One does over the PS4 that it is worth buying over?

That Giantbomb PAX panel where almost noone cheered when they asked who is buying an Xbox One was the first moment I was actualy scared for MS. The room exploded when they asked who is buying a PS4.

I think they are in even more trouble than I anticipated.

and thats usa..here in europe its way worse

No, he doesn't get to ignore the entire PC platform just cuz.

If it's good enough for MS and Sony to treat the PC platform differently then a direct competitor I don't see why everyone else should second guess their judgement as completely absurd. Unless you have a good reason explaining they're wrong in doing so.

They have yet to have shown a single example of kinect leading to even 'good' gameplay. Much less great gameplay.

Kinect cheerleaders are absolutely baffling. It's all in their heads. They want something that has not been proven to exist. They have just swallowed hook line and sinker ther PR load from MS saying "just buy it now, examples of good uses for this will come later". I say fool me once...

Wynnebeck

Banned

Sigh. I'm getting tired of the console war shenanigans myself, but this statement is entirely wrong.

This article reads like "Here's what we think....well not really, here's what a bunch of analysts think". Can't they do their own research and base their opinion on that? Analysts don't know games, they're only staring at historical charts and think history will repeat all the time.

KZObsessed

X1 has better games so far, isnt this suppose to be the number 1 factor amongst gamers? Surely most people on GAF recognise this and will buy the console with the best games. Sometimes we need to sift through all the fud in the console wars to see the truth.

Fascinating.

Derrick01

Banned
If it's good enough for MS and Sony to treat the PC platform differently then a direct competitor I don't see why everyone else should second guess their judgement as completely absurd. Unless you have a good reason explaining they're wrong in doing so.

Would you jump off a bridge if Sony and MS said it was cool? The PC platform exists, it's broader and larger than consoles. You don't get to pretend it doesn't exist just because that's the only way you can make the 360 have more exclusives than it really did this generation, which let's be honest it's the only reason you guys are doing this.

better specs = better performance minimum.

What does the Xbox One do that is entirely more different than the PS4 gaming wise that is so much of a top advantage?

Kinect 2 hasn't shown anything in games that directly makes them better. No head tracking video, not even in-game voice macros shown. Something as simple as that is yet to be seen. The funny thing is that MS more or less said so themselves recently.

g7gSDBK.gif

you...you do realize PC gaming...like...exists...and has numerous XBLA/X360 games available on it?

smh @ some folks here.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Edge was right to communicate that PS4 was far and away the runaway hit at the time they did that first article,

And they are right to backpedal a bit, now that Xbone has attempted to correct its mistakes.

Would you jump off a bridge if Sony and MS said it was cool?
So you can't explain why they treat it differently, but at the same time say it's completely absurd that they do.

The PC platform exists, it's broader and larger than consoles.

Doesn't mean it's a direct competitor to Sony or MS. Which is perhaps why they treat it differently, but of course you know better.

You don't get to pretend it doesn't exist just because that's the only way you can make the 360 have more exclusives than it really did this generation, which let's be honest it's the only reason you guys are doing this.

Given the facts above, the opposite is the more probable scenario, where "console exclusive" is a dirty word to ppl like you.

you...you do realize PC gaming...like...exists...and has numerous XBLA/X360 games available on it?

So I said "PC gaming doesn't exist! and doesn't get ports!". You reading comprehension is appalling. That's right don't reply.

See this is why Sony fanboys jump on Yall so quick.. Look at this terrible answer. Lmao!

What new type of game play does the Xbox One give? What game play has the Kinect historically shown that is better than anything else that the PS4 can't do? From what I've seen so far, Voice commands and little hand movements are the only game enhancing thing it has done which are not so enhancing over the PS4 especially if it's capable on the Eye..

So what is really something the Xbox One does over the PS4 that it is worth buying over?

For me, this.

So I said "PC gaming doesn't exist! and doesn't get ports!". You reading comprehension is appalling. That's right don't reply.
After reading your "responses" to Derrick's posts...I'd rather step aside and see you make a complete fool out of yourself.

"treating PC differently"
"not a direct competitor"

please, do continue. I'm dying to see where this "logic" takes you next.

Kinect cheerleaders are absolutely baffling. It's all in their heads. They want something that has not been proven to exist.

I guess I must've imagined all those hours of fun I've had playing Kinect games. How silly of me, maybe it's time to go see a doctor.

Seriously, as generalizing and prophesying as his post was, yours isn't any less absurd. This kind of discourse is not really getting us anywhere.

KillGore

One's launch line up looks a bit more interesting than PS4's but I think we can all agree that Sony has the stronger IPs (and the most). To each their own of course. You can prefer Xbone but it doesn't mean you become blind.

Nintendo is king though.

"treating PC differently" "not a direct competitor"

please, do continue. I'm dying to see where this "logic" takes you next.

They do treat PC differently than a direct competitor. It's common knowledge. If they did many games this gen wouldn't of got a PC port if the threat was exactly the same as porting it on a competitors console.

They even downport games from PC to consoles (like Torchlight).

Given that it's fact, both Sony and MS treat the PC platform differently the onus is on you to show that they're identicle threats since that's your argument. Here's where you can't actually prove otherwise and resort to ad homs as usual.

Draconian

Who cares? You don't buy consoles that you're going to keep for 5+ years for the launch games. You're buying it for the games it's going to provide over its entire existence. Do you trust MS to support it that long?

Ahh yes, I see, instead we buy consoles for games we don't even know exist, amirite?

Derrick01

Banned
So you can't explain why they treat it differently, but at the same time say it's completely absurd that they do.

No I cannot explain why they do such stupid things and it's beginning to hurt them. My best guess would be they still think PC gaming is stuck in the same place it was in 2005, where it really wasn't a direct competitor. Now it's surging forward every year while the console industry shrinks a little more every year.

Given the facts above, the opposite is the more probable scenario, where "console exclusive" is a dirty word to ppl like you.

It's a dirty word because you have to fucking ignore an entire massive platform to make the argument. It's really disingenuous to do so.

What's worse: Making an argument that includes all major platforms or making an argument by ignoring major platforms to boost your argument?

Draconian said:
Ahh yes, I see, instead we buy consoles for games we don't even know exist, amirite?

That's precisely what we do. Every single one of us.

What, you spend hundreds of dollars to play the 2-5 interesting games that come out with it and then sell the console when you're done? No you keep it because you know it's getting some level of future support. You don't know you'll like any of the games but you assume you will like at least a few.

One's launch line up looks a bit more interesting than PS4's but I think we can all agree that Sony has the stronger IPs (and the most). To each their own of course.

I don't get it, if it's to each their own, why should we all agree that Sony has more interesting franchises? It's baffling to me how someone can write statements that are so contradictory in such close succession.

KillGore

I don't get it, if it's to each their own, why should we all agree that Sony has more interesting franchises? It's baffling to me how someone can write statements that are so contradictory in such close succession.

Someone can enjoy the consoles for other reasons (better online, better multiplay games and such). The "I think we can all agree" is an exagerattion, nothing is 100% so of course people might think Microsoft has more IPs (even though they're wrong) or stronger IPs.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Someone can enjoy the consoles for other reasons (better online, better multiplay games and such). The "I think we can all agree" is an exagerattion, nothing is 100% so of course people might think Microsoft has more IPs (even though they're wrong) or stronger IPs.

"Nothing is 100%"

"even though they're wrong"

Top Bottom