• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Analysts' Sales Expectations for Holidays

enishi

got my Famitsu copy tonight and I can fill out some missing numbers:

NiGHTS: 200k
Dragon Quest IV: 1m - 1.5m
Tales of Innocent: 200k
GT5P: 800k - 1m

enishi said:
got my Famitsu copy tonight and I can fill out some missing numbers:

NiGHTS: 200k
Dragon Quest IV: 1m - 1.5m
Tales of Innocent: 200k
GT5P: 800k - 1m
Jesus Christ, they really are optimistic with GT5P.

Wii NiGHTS - 150k
NDS Dragon Quest IV - 1.2m
NDS Tales of Innocence - 200k
PS3 Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - 300k

Yoboman

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Jesus Christ, they really are optimistic with GT5P.

Wii NiGHTS - 150k
NDS Dragon Quest IV - 1.2m
NDS Tales of Innocence - 200k
PS3 Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - 300k
GT games are huge in Japan

1m for DQIV is certainly doable, but 1.5 m would mean it'll outsell the PS version. o_0

So basically they think ToI will sell just like TotT (and less than a spin-off like Radiant Mythology)? That'll be a freaking disaster should that happen.

Yoboman said:
But this isn't a real GT game, and the PS3 is not nearly as big in Japan as its predecessors.

Yoboman said:
GT4 Prologue didn't even crack 1m. All Minna no Golf entries were million sellers and Mingol5 did slighty over 300k. I'm probably being optimistic that it won't get eaten alive by other major games in the Christmas period...

Magicpaint said:
So basically they think ToI will sell just like TotT (and less than a spin-off like Radiant Mythology)? That'll be a freaking disaster should that happen.
I didn't mean 200k as in shipping 200k, selling less than 40% first week and shops having to put it in bargain bins to clear get the remaining stock. I'm a bit more positive than that even if I say the same LTD.

enishi

And they actually did some predictions during summer. The result is...

They only under-estimated 2 titles (CC:FF7 and Mario Party 8)

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I didn't mean 200k as in shipping 200k, selling less than 40% first week and shops having to put it in bargain bins to clear get the remaining stock. I'm a bit more positive than that even if I say the same LTD.
Yeah, but even that would still be bad. That's still less than what Radiant Mythology pulled and that's a spin-off. I can't say what I expect, but I think they'll ship more than they did with Tempest; the question is whether or not they'll sell much of it. But if this title doesn't do 500k+, then they'd be better off moving it to the PSP, as that's only other place I can see the series thriving.

Rolf NB

I'll just throw my hat in the "Wii Fit won't be the next Wii Sports" section of the ring.
It's not just a peripheral, but you have to set it up on the floor. That's pretty intrusive, compared to the Wiimote anyway, and expensive to boot.

loweredexpectations.gif

Yoboman

Jonnyram said:
Gran Turismo 4 Prologue sold 750k lifetime on the hugely popular PS2. GT5P will not come close. I say 300k tops.
GT Prologue wasn't the single game for PS2 in the Holiday period, and it still did that much

jarrod

Banned
J-prediction! Even more pessimistic! :lol

Only through year's end though (no 2008)...

NDS Final Fantasy IV - 750.000
NDS Final Fantasy Tactics A2 - 450.000
NDS Mario Party DS - 450.000
NDS Dragon Quest IV - 1.100.000
NDS Tales of Innocence - 350.000
PSP Minna no Golf Portable 2 - 350.000
PS3 Shin Sangoku Musou 5 - 250.000 (50.000 360 btw)
PS3 Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - 275.000
PS2 World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 - 750.000 (250.000 for 360/PS3/PSP/DS combined)
PS2 SD Gundam Generation Spirits - 250.000
PS2 Super Robot Wars OG Gaiden - 225.000
Wii Super Mario Galaxy - 1.350.000
Wii Biohazard Umbrella Chronicles - 225.000
Wii Wii Fit - 1.200.000
Wii NiGHTS - 100.000
X360 Lost Odyssey - 175.000
X360 Ace Combat 6 - 50.000

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wii Fit seems high, but who the hell knows.

Galaxy seems about right.

RE:UC seems high, but if people really like the zapper then the bundle might help it.

One odd thing I've noticed from glancing at the Japanese Amazon chart- Galaxy is consistently lower than games like NiGHTS and RE:UC. I'm sure it doesn't mean anything, but it just struck me as a bit odd.

Cryect

enishi said:
And they actually did some predictions during summer. The result is...

They only under-estimated 2 titles (CC:FF7 and Mario Party 8)

I care less about underestimating than I do about overestimating.

Wollan

Lair, of all games, managed to break the top ten in Japan.

01. DS Nishimura Kyotarou Suspense Detective Series: Deadly Intent (DS)

02. Dragon Ball Z: Sparking! Meteor (PS2)

03. Gundam Battle Chronicle (PSP)

04. Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon: Time Expedition Party (DS)

05. Arcana Heart (PS2)

06. Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon: Shadow Expedition Party (DS)

07. Lair (PS3)

08. Archaic Sealed Heat (DS)

09. Kanji Test 2 (DS)

10. Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day (DS)

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=29739

Kaako said:
Say what?...Wow.
What numbers did it put up in Japan?

Holy crap @ WiiFit predictions o_O

22K, and anyone who's the least bit interested in Japanese sales should already have known this for a while.

Kobun Heat said:
While I also expect shortages, Miyamoto said at E3 that they were already manufacturing the Wii Fit boards. That's the middle of July. They've been stocking up for a good long while.

. . .can you imagine how crushed Nintendo would be if this fails?

Xisiqomelir said:
Lost Odyssey is definitely not doing 300k this year, and most likely will never hit 300k.

Do Japanese 360 owners really have something better to play? Do Japanese RPG gamers in general?

Mockingbird said:
. . .can you imagine how crushed Nintendo would be if this fails?

They already had a Virtual Boy on their hands. I think massive failures are something they're too unused to dealing with.

ethelred

Segata Sanshiro said:
200k in Japan would be an acceptable result. Would certainly pound the snot out of the recent Sonic games' sales there.

Mm hmm. 200k would be a fine result, I think. The original sold 392k in Japan in 1996... we typically see franchise game sales drop from the first installment to the second (where they'll often stabilize), so even if this was a normal second game (and not a sequel following 12 years after the original), that'd be a pretty good result. 200k would make this a viable, healthy franchise in Japan, and Sega could use a few more of those.

Magicpaint said:
Seriously o_0

I mean even for first week sales, that's hardly adequate for a main tales title.

Right. For Namco's decision to move the series to this platform, and to justify the level of effort they've put into the game (and, in all likelihood, the level of marketing they're going to put into it), it needs to sell a whole lot better than that. It needs to sell on par with a real Tales game -- anything else would be a disaster. 400k minimum needed.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Do Japanese 360 owners really have something better to play? Do Japanese RPG gamers in general?

We'll have to wait until all the games are released to see how "better" shakes out, but there are plenty of other RPG options available on platforms that are a lot more popular than the 360. That is, obviously (just look at ASH!) no guarantor of success... but it certainly helps.

JavyOO7

NDS Final Fantasy IV - 900,000
NDS Final Fantasy Tactics A2 - 470.000
NDS Mario Party DS - 1,000,000
NDS Dragon Quest IV - 1.300.000
NDS Tales of Innocence - 500,000
PSP Minna no Golf Portable 2 - 320.000
PS3 Shin Sangoku Musou 5 - 280.000
PS3 Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - 175.000
PS2 World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 - 750.000
PS2 SD Gundam Generation Spirits - 280.000
PS2 Super Robot Wars OG Gaiden - 280.000
Wii Super Mario Galaxy - 1,750,000
Wii Biohazard Umbrella Chronicles - 500,000
Wii Wii Fit - 2,000,000
Wii NiGHTS - 350.000
X360 Lost Odyssey - 300.000
X360 Ace Combat 6 - 100.000

My predictions.

I don't think even Namco believe their stance with ToI. Its just unbelievable.

Actually, scratch that, this is Namco, they believe what they say and they will get burned shipping a shit load of ToI copies. They are stupid enough for this and far more.

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
Mm hmm. 200k would be a fine result, I think. The original sold 392k in Japan in 1996... we typically see franchise game sales drop from the first installment to the second (where they'll often stabilize), so even if this was a normal second game (and not a sequel following 12 years after the original), that'd be a pretty good result. 200k would make this a viable, healthy franchise in Japan, and Sega could use a few more of those.
200k isn't happening, period. Honestly, I'd say my estimate of 100k is probably pushing it a bit.

NiGHTS moved 400k on Saturn... but that was during SEGA's height in the consumer space on a platform where they held Nintendo level dominace. In those days Sakura Tasien could crack 500k and VF over a million... and now look at those franchises today. :/

ethelred said:
Right. For Namco's decision to move the series to this platform, and to justify the level of effort they've put into the game (and, in all likelihood, the level of marketing they're going to put into it), it needs to sell a whole lot better than that. It needs to sell on par with a real Tales game -- anything else would be a disaster. 400k minimum needed.
Agreed, 200k would be tanking, no question. I think Tempest's giving the analysts cold feet though, I'd be floored if it sold that little... going up against FF4 probably isn't the best move though admittedly. :/

jarrod

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I don't think even Namco believe their stance with ToI. Its just unbelievable.

Actually, scratch that, this is Namco, they believe what they say and they will get burned shipping a shit load of ToI copies. They are stupid enough for this and far more.
Wait, I missed it... what are the TOI Scamco expectations?

farnham

Banned
GTP selling one million is quite a stretch

the first prologue game on PS2 did sell one million but then again the userbase was quite different

you already are getting a GT demo on PSN (GTHD)

GTP on PS3 is a demo game you pay money for.. not sure how many people will digg that this time around

jarrod said:
Wait, I missed it... what are the TOI Scamco expectations?
They are still brainstorming how many units they will sell, right now they are expecting each DS owner to pick enough copies to build themselves a 100m2 Tales house. Full of Stanh/Leon and Lloyd/Kratos posters too.

Well, that and the whole 'Next Brand new full-fledged Tales', 'reinventing old Tales model', 'taking Tales to the next step', 'DS the main platform for Tales series'...

PD: Btw (well not really in the way, just remembered this), I read somewhere that the Wii Fit package will be 4.4kg. Eh...I must have read it wrong, right?

Phife Dawg said:
MP is a non-game as well now? Oh boy this is becoming awesome :lol .

Sorry, I should have put the scare quotes in there. I mean it in the one GAF ironic sense of "casual-friendly Nintendo-branded title that sells like hotcakes made of gold," not the other GAF ironic sense of "thing I hate because it's destroying the industry."

ethelred

charlequin said:
Sorry, I should have put the scare quotes in there. I mean it in the one GAF ironic sense of "casual-friendly Nintendo-branded title that sells like hotcakes made of gold," not the other GAF ironic sense of "thing I hate because it's destroying the industry."

Can't it be both?

ethelred said:
Can't it be both?

Oh, sure. But I actually enjoy Mario party pretty well after about four beers and when my friends aren't whining because I can still beat them in all the minigames.

Magicpaint said:
Eh, ToR had to deal with stuff like DQVIII and MGS3, and TotA had to fight with KH2...I think it'll be fine; the Tales games can't be so easily overshadowed (at least I'm assuming ToI will be on par with those two games, quality-wise and marketing-wise).

Well, I expect it to be "overshadowed" in the sense that FFIV will sell dramatically and definitively way more than it does, though not in the sense that its sales growth is stunted as a result.

I agree with ethelred and Magicpaint: 200k LTD on Innocence? That'd be a disaster. If we see anything less than 350k retail orders and, like, 200k day-one sales I think we have to classify ToI as a complete bomb and expect to never see the series release on DS again.

The real average-level Tales benchmark is around 500k lifetime; Symphonia and Legendia did less (and are considered failures for it), while the last "real" Tales game, Abyss, put up more and seems to have been more or less a succcess. Even if Namco cuts it any slack for being on a handheld and/or burning off TotT's badwill, it's gonna need to get close to that number (450k, say) to have been worthwhile.

Maybe someone who's got their finger on the pulse can give us a better idea, but it certainly seems to me like ToI is at least getting pushed effectively; lots of screens and videos coming out, plenty of effort put into illustrating that it is in fact a full game and not an 8-hour abortion, lots of emphasis on the voice acting (always a big part of Tales' appeal.)

charlequin said:
Well, I expect it to be "overshadowed" in the sense that FFIV will sell dramatically and definitively way more than it does, though not in the sense that its sales growth is stunted as a result.
Yup.

charlequin said:
I agree with ethelred and Magicpaint: 200k LTD on Innocence? That'd be a disaster. If we see anything less than 350k retail orders and, like, 200k day-one sales I think we have to classify ToI as a complete bomb and expect to never see the series release on DS again.

Yeah, I think should ToI bomb, Namco would HAVE to change their platform strategy, as I believe ToI is the real deal. If the DS userbase can't support it, they're best going elsewhere.

charlequin said:
Maybe someone who's got their finger on the pulse can give us a better idea, but it certainly seems to me like ToI is at least getting pushed effectively; lots of screens and videos coming out, plenty of effort put into illustrating that it is in fact a full game and not an 8-hour abortion, lots of emphasis on the voice acting (always a big part of Tales' appeal.)
We've had two fully-fledged trailers, and the TVCM has gone air (I think). There are lots of videos on the official site, and every facet of the series charm (voice acting, battles, skits, anime) are being demonstrated there, fully. The info we've gotten from it has been satisfactory. It really seems like the real deal to me. What needs to come together is the cohesive design, but it doesn't seem to be glaringly lacking in anything, so far.

cvxfreak said:
From the latest issue, just glancing at a couple pages. Might be of some interest to Sales-Age. There are two analysts (Sakurai and Murakami), and they provide various reasons for their predictions (series history, hype, platform popularity), but here are the numbers expected. They also talk about games like MGS4, but provide no numbers.

Nintendo DS

Final Fantasy IV
S: 1,200,000
M: 1,000,000

Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Fuketsu no Grimoire
S: 600,000
M: 500,000

Mario Party DS
S: 1,000,000
M: 1,200,000

PSP

Minna no Golf Portable 2
S: 500,000 - 600,000

PS3

Shin Sangoku Musou 5
S: 300,000
M: 300,000

PS2

World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008
S: 900,000 - 1,000,000

SD Gundam Generation Spirits
S: 400,000 - 500,000

Super Robot Wars OG Gaiden
S: 400,000 - 500,000

Wii

Super Mario Galaxy
S: 1,500,000 - 2,000,000
M: 1,000,000+

Biohazard Umbrella Chronicles
S: 500,000 - 600,000

Wii Fit
S: 2,000,000 - 2,500,000
M: 1,500,000+

Xbox 360

Lost Odyssey
S: 200,000 - 300,000

Ace Combat 6
S: 100,000 - 150,000

Sounds all possible. Wii Fit and Mario Galaxy are just right. Maybe too much for Umbrella Chronicles. And X360's games.

Magicpaint said:
What needs to come together is the cohesive design, but it doesn't seem to be glaringly lacking in anything, so far.

Did we have any specific reason to think that Legendia was going to be missing something before it launched? That's my only concern here, although Alpha Dream are demonstrably more capable than whatever Team Whoever The Fuck Is In the Back Room On Third Shift made Legendia.

It does seem like the marketing has firmly demonstrated that ToI is a real game and focused on the elements that needed focus to prove it wasn't a TotT redux, at least, so that's a good sign for the game's reception.

Top Bottom