• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Analysts' Sales Expectations for Holidays

Rolf NB

farnham said:
GTP selling one million is quite a stretch

the first prologue game on PS2 did sell one million but then again the userbase was quite different

you already are getting a GT demo on PSN (GTHD)

GTP on PS3 is a demo game you pay money for.. not sure how many people will digg that this time around
crackdown-boxart.jpg

ethelred said:
This is my expression of agreement with Charlie and Paint, and my amusement at Kuro's lingering bitterness.
Well, at least when ToI bombs, Namco would surely come back to their senses and make Tales HD for 360/PS3. Not that I'd be complaing there... but I guess that could end the Ichigo bitterness!

charlequin said:
Did we have any specific reason to think that Legendia was going to be missing something before it launched? That's my only concern here, although Alpha Dream are demonstrably more capable than whatever Team Whoever The Fuck Is In the Back Room On Third Shift made Legendia.
Well, ToL had no hi-ougis for starters, and the battle system (IMO) never sounded great because it basically added nothing and reverted back to the single line system, and it never had demonstrated the potential for deep character customisation and/or clever sub-systems. But it always looked amazing presentation wise.

charlequin said:
It does seem like the marketing has firmly demonstrated that ToI is a real game and focused on the elements that needed focus to prove it wasn't a TotT redux, at least, so that's a good sign for the game's reception.
Yep, also the preorder bonus sounds like something that'd be attractive to fans (what with another Voice Adventure featuring characters from almost every Tales game).

Really, I can't see what's missing so far in any way... it really doesn't sound like 'Tales of the Ten hour abortion' to me.

Jonnyram

For GT5P to sell a million, it would have to sell to almost 100% of the existing userbase. Of course there are going to be people who buy the PS3 just to play it, but even if the PS3 sold another million before the end of the year (lol), that's still 50%, which blatantly isn't going to happen.

Magicpaint said:
Well, at least when ToI bombs, Namco would surely come back to their senses and make Tales HD for 360/PS3. Not that I'd be complaing there... but I guess that could end the Ichigo bitterness!
Yes, thats exactly what I'm saying.

Magicpaint said:
Well, ToL had no hi-ougis for starters, and the battle system (IMO) never sounded great because it basically added nothing and reverted back to the single line system, and it never had demonstrated the potential for deep character customisation and/or clever sub-systems.

Well, Tales has never been about customization, and the ads did trumpet the ZOMG THROWING, but you're right. I always forget about the importance of the Hi-Ougi element because as an American Tales fan Abyss is actually the first game in the series I've played that has them. :lol

Yep, also the preorder bonus sounds like something that'd be attractive to fans (what with another Voice Adventure featuring characters from almost every Tales game).

Oh, there's a character voice CD as a preorder bonus? Not-a-bomba confirmed. :lol

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Claps!

ethelred

Magicpaint said:

Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again -- the userbase just isn't there right now for that. I don't understand why anyone would be bitter about, in the interim while Namco waits for that to be established, the company making high quality portable games. If they churn out two more Tales games on the same level that Innocence looks to be achieving before finally saying, "Hey, the time's right, let's go HD," I'd think that a great outcome. Especially if one of those is a gorgeous 2D Team Destiny game.

Either way, it's really the best of both worlds, since no one with a lick of sense thinks it's permanently going to be on the DS, or even for a span of more than three years.

Magicpaint said:
Well, ToL had no hi-ougis for starters, and the battle system (IMO) never sounded great because it basically added nothing and reverted back to the single line system, and it never had demonstrated the potential for deep character customisation and/or clever sub-systems. But it always looked amazing presentation wise.

Correct. And in contrast to all of this, we know Innocence has hi-ougis and we know it's got a very progressive battle system -- rather than regressing back like Legendia did, it's taking features from two of the most recent Tales games (aerial combos from Destiny R and free movement LMBS from Abyss) and incorporating them together to make a new and more advanced system.

tehbear

Magicpaint said:
Well, at least when ToI bombs, Namco would surely come back to their senses and make Tales HD for 360/PS3. Not that I'd be complaing there... but I guess that could end the Ichigo bitterness!.

Going at this rate, it's going to look the same as a PS2 version anyways, I am not too excited.

I always think with every Wii bomb that perhaps they'd consider the PS3 but then I am reminded that it'll bomb equally as hard. Sad times.

schuelma said:
One odd thing I've noticed from glancing at the Japanese Amazon chart- Galaxy is consistently lower than games like NiGHTS and RE:UC. I'm sure it doesn't mean anything, but it just struck me as a bit odd.

SMG has been above both NiGHTS and RE:UC for many times, RE:UC today was #2 but now it's going down, cause it's again out-of-stock. NiGHTS has constantly been in top25 for many days, this is curious for a December release on Wii.
Just waiting to know first shipment stocks for these games, and i'm sure RE:UC will sell better than RE4 did on GC.

Looking at Amazon.kp chart i noticed in latest days demand for Wii has raised, price for used system is similar for a brand new one and not so many offers, probably people was waiting for Wii Fit announcement... even DDR entered in top100, wow

FYI both Ghost Squad and RE:UC bundled have high preorders than normal versions (i mean on amazon.jp).

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
So that isn't what you wanted?

charlequin said:
Well, Tales has never been about customization, and the ads did trumpet the ZOMG THROWING, but you're right. I always forget about the importance of the Hi-Ougi element because as an American Tales fan Abyss is actually the first game in the series I've played that has them. :lol

True, but ToD2 had the Enchant system, ToR had the intricate Force cube system and ToS had the EX-Skills. ToL had nothing of the sort. No customisation whatsoever, even the AI options were severely lacking (Tempest is better there, lolz). The battle system was like ToP, but a bit faster with OMG throws.

Oh, hi-ougis are VERY important to fans. ToE introducted it, but ToD2 took it to a whole new level. But ToE and ToS had them, btw, just much, much more difficult to pull off. :p

ethelred said:
Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again -- the userbase just isn't there right now for that. I don't understand why anyone would be bitter about, in the interim while Namco waits for that to be established, the company making high quality portable games. If they churn out two more Tales games on the same level that Innocence looks to be achieving before finally saying, "Hey, the time's right, let's go HD," I'd think that a great outcome. Especially if one of those is a gorgeous 2D Team Destiny game.

Exactly, really that's why I'm pretty comfortable with the current strategy. The DS is really the only new generation system that has the userbase to support the series. We saw what happened with ToS GC when they released a high-quality game on a system with a small userbase. It wasn't pretty. Which is why ToI really has to perform well, apart from the PSP, I can't think of any better place to go. It'll spell big trouble for Namco.

ethelred said:
Correct. And in contrast to all of this, we know Innocence has hi-ougis and we know it's got a very progressive battle system -- rather than regressing back like Legendia did, it's taking features from two of the most recent Tales games (aerial combos from Destiny R and free movement LMBS from Abyss) and incorporating them together to make a new and more advanced system.

*nods*

In addition to that it has customisable AI (new to the series) and its own version of AD/EX skills already. We'll probably hear more before it is released.

So far, they're really doing all the right things.

CrisKre

all of this seem possible. If i had to guess:

REUC: between 300 and 350k
FFIV between 800 and 1000k
LO: between 150 and 200k

Wii fit wont top 2000k
Mario galaxy wont top 1500k

and ToI will reach 350 to 400k LTD.

oh, and as much as id love it to NO WAY Nights reaches 200k. 150 tops

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Do Japanese 360 owners really have something better to play? Do Japanese RPG gamers in general?
I don't think there are a lot of 360-only gamers in Japan. And like others have stated there are offerings on other consoles, including the ever popular handhelds.

I don't think LO will light the charts on fire. It'll have a very good opening week and then will sink - fast.

Top Bottom