• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

Well I mean Wonderful 101...and Mario games....new smash might push me over the edge because honestly im just waiting for FFXV to come out

You can buy two new high-end next-gen systems now and wait until March until two big games hit (inFamous and Titanfall) or you can get a next-gen system with a good to brilliant library now

Myriadis

That's typical for Nintendo games. Underwhelming reveal trailer, amazing end product. Just watch. The crow for Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze will be amazing.

And it was released on E3. In this time, it's either the best or the worst thing ever, and many act completely irrational.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The major points of the JeuxVidéo.fr review:

The Plus:

- Beautiful
- Effective know-how of Nintendo
- 4 Player Co-op
- Mystery House of Captain Toad

The Minus:

- Too similar to 3D Land
- Level Design doesn't exploit the multiplayer
- Forgettable additions
- So-so soundtrack for a Mario game.

GulAtiCa

i4CsOVpBY1CYv.gif

hahaha, that is awesome.

traveler

Not Wario
The major points of the JeuxVidéo.fr review:

I would love to see a Mario game campaign designed entirely around a multiplayer experience, (similar to Portal 2's dedicated coop campaign) but I can't imagine what the reception would be like if it came at the expense of a single player campaign. A nice what if, though. I think EAD could do brilliant things with it, but it will never be a top priority. (Perhaps deservedly, given the consistent quality of their single player outings.)

Well, I never doubted that this game will be good, but it was always kinda funny (and maybe a little sad) how people read something completely different in my posts so they'd fit typical standard arguments against people that might have not even spent proper time with Nintendo content - unlike me. So no, I'm not mad the scores but good work on the gif regardless ;)
Unfortunately, reviews were never gonna change the problems with the title. Oh look a 10/10, but is it still a game more heavily based on the groundwork of another (2 year old) Mario title on inferior hardware than any other title in the series history? Yeah. Is it still the culmination of the worst first year lineup of a Nintendo machine since the Virtual Boy? Yes.

Unlike review scores which were easy to predict, I'd be more curious about sales data. Starting with media create next week, I suspect the market (and the fans Nintendo clearly disrespects with sich a pitiful next gen launch, plus 2 years of letting the original Wii rot for no reason right before that) will reject this one as much as the unremarkable NSMBU which represented more than either ,,good/bad game'' but almost all the company's faults in the last couple of years. The actual good machine that is the 3DS will do the rest to cannibalize the sales. Afterwards they'll probably have no choice but to come up with new concepts on par with 64 and Galaxy, even though I'm sure they'd love to crank out more 3D World titles like NSMB instead. Then next gen everyone is gonna be happy again :)

Exile20

If there's one thing that disappoints me about what I'm reading in all this positive reception, it's this undercurrent of "The Wii U finally gets a great game!" The greatest game of the year and greatest action game of all time came out a few months ago, guys. You're only hurting yourselves by not giving it a shot.

The ones that say one more game and I am buying a Wii U.

I am waiting for the next Zelda, I am waiting for the next Mario, next next Mario, I am waiting for smash, and so on and so on.

Always waiting for the next game.

andymcc

Banned
Well, I never doubted that this game will be good, but it was always kinda funny (and maybe a little sad) how people read something completely different in my posts so they'd fit typical standard arguments against people that might have not even spent proper time with Nintendo content - unlike me. So no, I'm not mad the scores but good work on the gif regardless ;)
Unfortunately, reviews were never gonna change the problems with the title. Oh look a 10/10, but is it still a game more heavily based on the groundwork of another (2 year old) Mario title on inferior hardware than any other title in the series history? Yeah. Is it still the culmination of the worst first year lineup of a Nintendo machine since the Virtual Boy? Yes.

Unlike review scores which were easy to predict, I'd be more curious about sales data. Starting with media create next week, I suspect the market (and the fans Nintendo clearly disrespects with sich a pitiful next gen launch, plus 2 years of letting the original Wii rot for no reason right before that) will reject this one as much as the unremarkable NSMBU which represented more than either ,,good/bad game'' but almost all the company's faults in the last couple of years. The actual good machine that is the 3DS will do the rest to cannibalize the sales. Afterwards they'll probably have no choice but to come up with new concepts on par with 64 and Galaxy, even though I'm sure they'd love to crank out more 3D World titles like NSMB instead. Then next gen everyone is gonna be happy again :)

way to save face bro

Spiderduff

Alright, fuck it.

I thought I had enough resolve to wait for another price drop to jump into Wii U, but reading the Eurogamer and Gamespot reviews has left me giddy like a 8 year old on Christmas morning. I need this in my veins as soon as it drops. You win Nintendo.

We welcome you with open arms.

Roo

lmao
dat salt

mattx5

Love the Rubik's Cube-esque mechanics of the Captain Toad levels I saw in the live stream earlier.

So all these good reviews can only mean one thing: Super Mario 3D World 2 will come along in a couple of years with all the unused ideas from the first game and score the world's first 11/10.

The Wii U is dead in Japan, so I'd be shocked if it did more than 1 million sales there. I'd be surprised if it even did 250K its first week. The real test will be what it does in America and what it does worldwide over time.

Andrew.

Banned

1643391891528bc76ce17cf.gif

balohna

Why would you ever use sales data to determine the quality of anything, at all, ever?

Fredrik

Yikes. I did Not expect scores like this. Right now I'm thinking: Why do I need a PS4/XB1 day 1 again? These scores plus the hardware issues with PS4 and delayed XB1 launch in my country makes me think I should just stick to WiiU for a while.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

So basically all of your trolling was for nothing and you are now going to put more credence in Media Create numbers than actual reviews of the game when determining its quality.

I don't get the joke. Why is the gif funny?

just one example out of many.

Yes. However, only if you live in 2005 and the 360 just launched. When all developers could do was to hide bad looking games behind out of place glitter effects...

But seriously, the art direction is an insult to the whole series before NSMBW.
Cut Mario and goombas out of the pictures and you might as well tell people it's the next Pacman platformer no one's going to remember, or Jett Rocket 2 - there wouldn't be any objections, it's that unremarkable. No ambition, no soul in this game's presentation. First mainline Mario that screams nothing but MARKET RESEARCH.
Hopefully they'll give the Tokyo team more freedom on the next project that has nothing to do with Mario anymore...

Even the girl boom boom is recycled as if these boss fights weren't worthless enough already, and (as one could have already feared) the awful NSMB world theme tropes now also make it into this series.

*facepalm

Pretty telling that the best parts in there are superficial throwbacks to Mario 64 and Galaxy.

edit: way late, cannot keep up with this thread.

I dont care if its 1080p or not. All I know is how glorious it will look on the gamepad. I will be playing this everynight in bed with my ten pillows setup and under the covers. Ahhh to be a kid again!

Timeaisis

Remind me again while we're talking about sales in a review thread?

Whatever, games getting great reviews and I'm looking forward to it.

Nibel

You always complained about the quality of the title and never mentioned the sales - not sure what 3D World did to you but you are far from the level-headed poster that you once were

qmw1CVI.gif

jmls1121

Banned

This is a master class meltdown. Its akin to the bayonetta 2 freakouts and that epic x-box final fantasy post that everyone cites.

How was the E3 trailer bland lol. Music is awesome. graphics are unchanged and amazing as always. Gameplay hasn't changed. Sure we've seen more but really...acting like the FIRST trailer and actually the official ANNOUNCEMENT for a game is indicative of the WHOLE game makes little no zeros sense. It was easy to see the shine and potential in the E3 trailer. The game hasn't changed and the hype should have been there since day zero.

For those who didn't care for the initial reveal, I think it had to do with they showed what we now known as a "limited version" of the game. Most of the levels they showed had a Galaxy "remake" tint to it(and some were already soured off of NSMBU). As they've extended upon the gameplay modes and level variety, it has changed many of those opinions. This isn't a total package experience you could get in Galaxy or 3DLand. It's its own beast.

I never got into the Galaxy games. In fact I hated them. I thought nsmb for the wii was pretty good but the subsequent games were too rehashed. I would love for nintendo to prove me wrong but im still not willing to buy a wiiu. Im still too bitter about a lack of a true mario 64 successor. Still, if nintendo can deliver on a new awesome zelda or metroid game, or just a new ip at all, id seriously consider getting a wiiu, especialy with any kind of a price drop. For now, I wait. Will play link between worlds instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom