• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remastered (PS4) First trailer up

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hopefully they don`t use FXAA as their aa solution and introduce blurriness into TLoU. Corrinne Yu already did it to Halo (Halo4), please let my TLoU be a FXAA free zone. inFAMOUS showed how much better SMAA is compared to a FXAA approach (Killzone).

I doubt they will. They said they tried FXAA with Uncharted 3 and didn't use it because of the blur. I doubt they would use it for TLoU on PS4 if that's the case.

Alienous

Guys...It's not a spoiler because it has no context. To any new comer to the series the scene it isn't even remotely ruined, you guys need to actually think about what a spoiler is.

I swear sometimes I feel if some one said that you get a
flame thrower and an M4
in the game some one would cry out "spoiler".

Actually...

SmokyDave

If you don't tear up during the opening, you have no soul. Scientific fact right there.
Yup, that was one of them. I didn't tear up because I only have half a soul, but I did get a lump in my throat.
the voice actress did an incredible job of conveying pain and fear

Taker34

Banned
I can't believe Sony would spoil the giraffe attack. That is one of the game's most intense moments.

You just spoiled more than the video. I simply saw those peaceful giraffes, now I know something about an attack. Thanks for ruining my whole life.

Gestault

If this game is the culmination of all things video games, then... I really don't know what to say to that. What a hilariously stupid and hyperbolic claim.

I disagree, and I say this as someone who, while liking Last of Us, also criticizes major portions of it. This game is a successful mixture of gameplay, storytelling, immersion and even competition. That isn't to say "no other game achieves the same," but simply put, I think it's totally reasonable to say that TLoU represents the current state of the "art" in terms of interactive design. Yes, player progression is almost distractingly linear. Yes, major elements of its storytelling don't even attempt to be interactive. That being said, those shortcomings are the result of a deliberate decision that offer something to the player in other ways.

This game deserves this level of regard, even if it's just to understand ways it "tries" more than "succeeds."

Yup, that was one of them. I didn't tear up because I only have half a soul, but I did get a lump in my throat.
the voice actress did an incredible job of conveying pain and fear

Have you seen the making of documentary on The Last of Us?

They go over what they did to get the scene right and it's really interesting.

Honestly I glossed over the video's timeline to skip the minute long accolade ceremony.

Me too, lol. I was like "wtf, is there even any footage in this trailer?" as I was moving the mouse over the timeline. Pretty crappy trailer for several reasons. I love the game, but just saying...

Kimosabae

Banned
The real spoiler is the idiots explaining why it's a spoiler. Just mouthing off that the image is significant in the context of the game is enough. Had it been able to stand on its own, it wouldn't have been an issue.

But, the internet, I guess.

I'm the one being cynical? I can count a dozen games that have made me feel something emotionally or make me think, shit, here they are:

Nier
Deadly Premonition
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Red Dead Redemption
Max Payne 1
The Walking Dead
FFX
FFVII
Chrono Trigger
Metal Gear Rising

It's hard for me to relate to the "I finally felt something when The Last of us was birthed", when a lot of mainstream games have made people feel something in the past.

Sounds like you have trouble accepting opinions. Gee who would of thought that a game that has got an unsurmountable amount of praise from critics and players, especially for its emotional story, would invoke such emotions.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm the one being cynical? I can count a dozen games that have made me feel something emotionally or make me think, shit, here they are:

Nier
Deadly Premonition
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Red Dead Redemption
Max Payne 1
The Walking Dead
FFX
FFVII
Chrono Trigger
Metal Gear Rising

It's hard for me to relate to the "I finally felt something when The Last of us was birthed", when a lot of mainstream games have made people feel something in the past.

Why do you even care that people feel that way? A lot of people felt differently about TLOU than you did, get over it, move on. You aren't changing any hearts and minds here.

MormaPope

Banned
"people" isn't exactly personal though is it. who cares about "people". it's about what managed to emotionally engage YOU...and if this was the first game to do it...which it was for me too btw...then props to this game.

Here's the thing though, personal assertions such as "TLOU finally made me feel something" is a bit gushy at best and disingenuous at its worst. Gameplay has made everyone feel emotionally engaged at some point, it might not be sadness or dry depression, but you probably felt something heavily while playing a game before.

Mario 64 made people feel things intensely, due to the revolution in gameplay. Getting a high score in a Tony Hawk games has made someone feel something intensely.

SmokyDave

Have you seen the making of documentary on The Last of Us?

They go over what they did to get the scene right and it's really interesting.
Shit, I meant to check that out but haven't got around to it. Cheers!

Wow. No.

I've yet to find a video game that stirs up emotions like that in me and I'm no 'macho' guy that never cries in movies or anything.
If that didn't do it, I can't imagine anything will. I'm not normally moved by, well, anything on a screen and that opening got me good. Of course, these things are entirely personal.

They really should have uploaded a better quality video if they wanted that snippet to be a wow moment. Also spoiling such a great scene was totally unnecessary.

jett

D-Member
That trailer looked like it was put together in five minutes. It's a shitty thing to spoil that scene too.

Naughty Dog, you dun goofed. The intern that made this is totes fired.

Gestault

Wow. No.

I've yet to find a video game that stirs up emotions like that in me.

Speaking with Sniper Wolf as she dies
in MGS1?
Swimming without your brother
in Brothers?
Growing old alongside the freed little sisters
in Bioshock? Anything? Honest curiosity.

GameSeeker

Dear Sony Marketing,

Please stop failing by only posting your PS4 trailers on YouTube. YouTube's low bitrate, low quality streams negate much of the detail and quality that your studio's are putting into their PS4 titles. If you want to showcase how much better TLOU PS4 looks compared to TLOU PS3, you need to release high-bit rate footage (>15Mbits/sec). GG did this for KZ:SF to rave reviews. When we got accidentally leaked B-Roll footage of Infamous:SS that really impressed folks, while the YouTube versions didn't. So please, develop a marketing plan that actually includes releasing high quality footage to the buying public. Thank you.

StuBurns

Banned
I thought the game had some quite emotional moments. Not like Nier style brains all over the wall deep depression stuff, but it was a huge step up for ND. Outside of EP2, probably the biggest impact storytelling wise of any major release. As a whole it's storytelling it hugely better than Nier and EP2 of course, but just in terms of impact I mean.

MormaPope

Banned
Sounds like you have trouble accepting opinions. Gee who would of thought that a game that has got an unsurmountable amount of praise from critics and players, especially for its emotional story, would invoke such emotions.

Why do you even care that people feel that way? A lot of people felt differently about TLOU than you did, get over it, move on. You aren't changing any hearts and minds here.

"Fuck discourse, lets never challenge or question assertions." is what I got out of these posts.

Stupid trailer aside, (seriously, what the hell were they thinking?) I see a noticeable improvement over the PS3 version. Looking almost on par with the improvement seen in the visuals to Tomh Raider.

Very happy I got my pre-order in for £37 from Gameseek...

rdrr gnr

Guys...It's not a spoiler because it has no context. To any new comer to the series the scene it isn't even remotely ruined, you guys need to actually think about what a spoiler is.

I swear sometimes I feel if some one said that you get a flame thrower and an M4 in the game some one would cry out "spoiler".
Only to then be immediately put back into context? A spoiler is anything that has the capacity to take away one's enjoyment of a game -- whether that be the entire game or just a particular chapter.

If you are hyped to play the game for the first time on PS4, skipping that trailer is a good decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom