• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright DS barebones port to Wiiware. Capgod strikes again!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wait a second, how in the world did it get a "Without age restrictions" rating? Really should get a 'Restricted for those below the age of 12' rating, unless the rating is just temporary.

Firestorm

Hopefully not a port but I'd buy it anyway. I added a bunch of Wii Points that I got on sale before I realized I almost never buy things on my Wii!

LiK

dammit, remake? well, i don't mind, would love to replay it with higher res graphics and orchestral score

i don't want voice acting. some secondary characters would probably drive me nuts.

I'd rather see Capcom's stock trading Phoenix Wright alike finally make it over, or a confirmed Ghost Trick localization then a console PW port, but if its new, its all good news.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Firestorm said:
Hopefully not a port but I'd buy it anyway. I added a bunch of Wii Points that I got on sale before I realized I almost never buy things on my Wii!
This is Capcom. We all know its going to be a disk.

discoalucard said:
The DS only has an ever-so-slightly higher resolution than the GBA, to the point where it would be identical to the GBA shots anyway, except a few extra vertical pixels of space.
Its not the resolution thats the issue (although in the first game in the park area some of the backgrounds are blurry), its the color depth. Especially for the prosecutor's background. Looks like its using 16 colors.

Sad_Panda

HyperZone<3 said:
I'd rather see Capcom's stock trading Phoenix Wright alike finally make it over, or a confirmed Ghost Trick localization then a console PW port, but if its new, its all good news.

Ghost Trick has already been confirmed for a 2010 release in NA and Europe.

BlueWord

Jangaroo said:
I think he only worked on the first game.

Nope; he also did Apollo Justice, apparently. He's featured pretty prominently in the credits.

Also, the AJ hate in here is ridiculous. I just replayed it, it's certainly not as bad as people make it out to be; it's just not as "complete" as the PW games, something that (I believe) is a result of a more long-term plot, more planning in that regard. I mean, there were some obvious gaps in AJ; maybe I'm optimistic, but I had interpreted that those gaps would be filled in upon in later games.

BlueWord said:
Nope; he also did Apollo Justice, apparently. He's featured pretty prominently in the credits.

Also, the AJ hate in here is ridiculous. I just replayed it, it's certainly not as bad as people make it out to be; it's just not as "complete" as the PW games, something that (I believe) is a result of a more long-term plot, more planning in that regard. I mean, there were some obvious gaps in AJ; maybe I'm optimistic, but I had interpreted that those gaps would be filled in upon in later games.
I liked AJ, but I feel the "start of a larger story" excuse would probably be more palatable to people if we had any indication the larger story is coming soon.

ShockingAlberto said:
I liked AJ, but I feel the "start of a larger story" excuse would probably be more palatable to people if we had any indication the larger story is coming soon.

The fact that they announced an upcoming AA5 like a bazillion years ago isn't enough?

I think people are just spoiled by the PW trilogy coming out so quickly in the US. :lol

jesusraz

McBacon said:
Please be more responsible with your thread titles. This is not confirmed, and I had a fucking heart attack.
It is true. Capcom was meant to be showing Ace Attorney: Episode 1 back at that EU DSiWare/WiiWare event in London during September, but pulled it at the last minute for some reason. At the time I presumed it was a DSiWare game, but now I know otherwise. So stop speculating folks - it's coming...and considering it's now been rated by USK it no longer has to remain a secret :)

jts said:
Does Nintendo have some sort of exclusivity agreement for PW titles?

Because I'd fucking kill small kittens for the series to get on the iPhone. With my bare hands.
No, that's why the games have appeared on mobile phones and PC. Nintendo just distributed the game here in Europe for Capcom.

Colocho

Banned
Are the people saying voice acting would be amazing stupid or something? imagine for a second how completely awful every joke in the game would sound out loud, to add VAs, would be the worst idea ever in a video game.

TunaLover

jesusraz said:
It is true. Capcom was meant to be showing Ace Attorney: Episode 1 back at that EU DSiWare/WiiWare event in London during September, but pulled it at the last minute for some reason. At the time I presumed it was a DSiWare game, but now I know otherwise. So stop speculating folks - it's coming...and considering it's now been rated by USK it no longer has to remain a secret :)

So it´s WiiWare?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Colocho said:
Are the people saying voice acting would be amazing stupid or something? imagine for a second how completely awful every joke in the game would sound out loud, to add VAs, would be the worst idea ever in a video game.

The voiced PW trailers sounded fine to me. Just give me VA quality like in Persona 4 or the old LucasArts games and I'll be happy. And at worst, if there's an option to disable speech in the cutscenes you can just turn it off there.

theluma

Colocho said:

I kinda agree with this, leave my Phoenix Wright how it is. TBH I would rather it was episodic on DSiWare. Then again I have a japanese DSi which is a big problem I guess.

theluma said:
TBH I would rather it was episodic on DSiWare. Then again I have a japanese DSi which is a big problem I guess.

Yeah so do I. For that reason, and the fact that I own PW 1-3 and AJ already, personally I'd prefer to see it on WiiWare.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
charlequin said:
The fact that they announced an upcoming AA5 like a bazillion years ago isn't enough?

I think people are just spoiled by the PW trilogy coming out so quickly in the US. :lol

True. The Japanese had to wait 2-3 years between games right?

charlequin said:

Offhandedly announced but not shown and never spoken of again.

Main series game pace has decreased significantly even if you don't consider America.

Gwanatu T

RockmanWhore said:
NOOOOOOOO. Phoenix Wright is my offical bed game. The game I play before sleeping or to get up the morning, I hope it's a port/collection. My Wii isn't on my gaming room, I don't want to spend a lot of time with a Wii game :lol

Hah, I was like that for the first two. Then when I started to only get like 4 hours of sleep I decided I needed to stop that. Unfortunately that's when I stopped playing the Phoenix Wright games too.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
ITT: People posting unreasonable expectations.

This game will likely be a port of the DS games with no enhancements.

XiaNaphryz

Hcoregamer00 said:

Wouldn't it be easier to port from the PC versions to the consoles?

Hcoregamer00 said:

...or, as seems more likely, we'll get a port of a game, or one or two chapters, with new investigative sections that require the Remote and some moderately improved graphics and animations.

Unless Capcom really want to go full-out on a home console version, I think this will be a very tentative toe in the water - but provided it's done well, I'm interested.

XiaNaphryz

Cosmonaut X said:
...or, as seems more likely, we'll get a port of a game, or one or two chapters, with new investigative sections that require the Remote and some moderately improved graphics and animations.

Unless Capcom really want to go full-out on a home console version, I think this will be a very tentative toe in the water - but provided it's done well, I'm interested.
I can believe this, considering how much smoother the animations could be as proven by the TGS trailer. I could've sworn in those they tried to animate the lips to sync with the dialogue properly.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Hcoregamer00 said:

What I'm expecting is a straight DS port with 480p graphics and the option to thrust the Wiimote forward to simulate a pointing stance instead of yelling in the microphone for objection/take that/hold it.
Better animations would be welcome, but I'm not holding my breath.

Jocchan said:
What I'm expecting is a straight DS port with 480p graphics and the option to thrust the Wiimote forward to simulate a pointing stance instead of yelling in the microphone for objection/take that/hold it.
Better animations would be welcome, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm expecting that Capcom's software engineers will have found a way to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow so that the Remote speaker works as a microphone, allowing players to shout "Objection!" as well as pointing their Remote.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Cosmonaut X said:
I'm expecting that Capcom's software engineers will have found a way to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow so that the Remote speaker works as a microphone, allowing players to shout "Objection!" as well as pointing their Remote.
Or simply added Wii Speak support? I doubt they would bother, honestly. No one cared about that peripheral.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Cosmonaut X said:
Jocchan missing a reference? For shame...

;-)
Sorry, Doctor Who was never that popular in my country :(
I keep telling myself I should watch it but haven't yet :(

Jocchan said:
Sorry, Doctor Who was never that popular in my country :(
I keep telling myself I should watch it but haven't yet :(

Heh, no worries - if you ever do, try out the earlier Doctors first. The later ones are very much an acquired taste, and the new series is more concerned with spectacle and loses something in the process.

Back on topic - I'm surprised this made it to WiiWare ahead of DSiWare, but perhaps Capcom felt that the Wii audience was a better target for the title, especially if (as seems likely) it's just going to be a port rather than a new adventure. And does anyone know if the Koei (?) detective games on the Japanese DSiWare store are likely to make it to the West, as they looked to be interesting and in a similar vein.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Cosmonaut X said:
Heh, no worries - if you ever do, try out the earlier Doctors first. The later ones are very much an acquired taste, and the new series is more concerned with spectacle and loses something in the process.
I will, thank you :)

Cosmonaut X said:
Back on topic - I'm surprised this made it to WiiWare ahead of DSiWare, but perhaps Capcom felt that the Wii audience was a better target for the title, especially if (as seems likely) it's just going to be a port rather than a new adventure. And does anyone know if the Koei (?) detective games on the Japanese DSiWare store are likely to make it to the West, as they looked to be interesting and in a similar vein.
It's obviously a test. Lots of people wanted Ace Attorney to hit the Wii, and this is the cheapest way to try that route.

Razien

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:

Next Wii needs Wii Speak (and camera) built into the sensor bar. And better speakers for wiimote.

Luigiv

Cosmonaut X said:
Mind blown?

Yottamol said:
Not really. The original Phoenix Wright trilogy only had like a year between each game.
Yep.

GBA Ace Attorney 1 - October 12, 2001
GBA Ace Attorney 2 - October 18, 2002
GBA Ace Attorney 3 - January 23, 2004

If 5 and 6 had followed 4 in a similar pattern, they would've been released April 2008 and July 2009.

Razien said:
Next Wii needs Wii Speak (and camera) built into the sensor bar. And better speakers for wiimote.

If Nintendo do as they seem to be suggesting (see a number of recent interviews) I would expect the successor to Wii to be an evolution of what they have now, so I'd expect that we will see a refined Remote incorporating MotionPlus, an improved or revised nunchuk, and the incorporation of things like Wii Speak into the basic package.

Jocchan said:
They have high res assets for the whole series. Everything is hand-drawn.

5fnrxs.png

Apollo Justice @ 480p lol

EDIT: 1280x1024 wallpaper - http://i37.tinypic.com/23tmqlc.jpg
THIS IS AWESOME. I hope they have this in the wii version more than anything.

Top Bottom