• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario RPG (Wii U VC) |OT| Starring Mii Gunner as Geno

DISCLAIMER: Gonna keep this OT barebones in terms of pretty pictures/headers and the like.

k75p0V9.jpg

Available systems: Wii U Virtual Console
Price: $7.99 (less if you bought it on the Wii Virtual Console)
Controllers: Uh, all of 'em, I think

Summary: So the game stars this guy:
ojnddEH.png

He's trying to save her from being kidnapped:
VU5StV8.gif

This is the guy who kidnapped her:
DlPEMRq.gif

The red one was about to save the pink one from the spiky one, but then this thing came crashing down and made it hurt inside:
YAb8JlS.gif

So now all three of them are scattered over the Mushroom Kingdom, except Red who conveniently landed right next to his house.

Also stars these guys:
n6ETUX9.png

xCf6pyT.jpg

Also this thing is in it (gotta find it tho):
JCYznfx.gif

Oh right, you have other party members since this is an RPG.

There's this dude:
Mi7enjd.png

and also this original character (do not steal)
EYjyWGd.jpg

Also don't forget about Miiverse. Oh, and this chest:
7c7Rr0l.jpg

Have fun, everyone!

(Special thanks to Captain Rage Quit 69 for the dank image)

I'll be the first to say boy this game was fun when I was younger.

Granted that's because I was playing around with a bunch of rom hacks that changed the script and such after I beat it, but darn it if I didn't have a good time with the original experience regardless. Today I would say both the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi series have entries that surpass it, but Legend of the Seven Stars is still a great game that people should check out!

Also, it's got a slow start but try to stick with it. It picks up once you collect the first star.

Finally, fun fact: This was the last game to be localized by Ted Woolsey during his time at Squaresoft (Source).

Hmm....I never did get to finish the solo character challenge. Was in the process of doing a solo Peach run.

Game is fun and charming all around. Start might be a tad slow but it picks up after fighting your first big boss.

Ah captain ragequit beat me to the punch!

I'll be the first to say boy this game was fun when I was younger.

Granted that's because I was playing around with a bunch of rom hacks that changed the script and such after I beat it, but darn it if I didn't have a good time with the original experience regardless. Today I would say both the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi series have entries that surpass it, but Legend of the Seven Stars is still a great game that people should check out!

Also, it's got a slow start but try to stick with it. It picks up once you collect the first star.

Finally, fun fact: This was the last game to be localized by Ted Woolsey during his time at Squaresoft (Source).

Yeah I would definitely agree that, even thought the later games have surpassed it, SMRPG is still worth playing and isn't really a bad game.

M-PG71C

Absolutely awesome game, I may replay it. I haven't touched it in over a decade. It's got 90s Nintendo/Squaresoft charm written all over it.

Neiteio

Haven't played this. A coworker was suggesting I download it and give it a whirl. Hmm.

I do like the game's "colorful darkness."

El Odio

Banned
So if you upgrade from wii to wiiu vc does it transfer save data or do you have to start fresh? I got about halfway on play old playthrough in wii mode before stopping.

So if you upgrade from wii to wiiu vc does it transfer save data or do you have to start fresh? I got about halfway on play old playthrough in wii mode before stopping.

I wanna say you start fresh since you're just getting a discount on the Wii U version, but I don't know for certain how the Wii -> Wii U stuff works.

What are the chances of this coming to the new 3ds? I always wanted to play this. I remember reading the gamepro ( I think) review growing up, but never got a chance to play it.

SirSwirl

Neo Member
Awesome! This has always been one of my favorite games. Own it on the Wii VC and love it to death. I've always been curious about those saying the game has been surpassed by the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigis, as every time I replay SMRPG I just can't get enough of it and feel like it's still one of the best in the series. I particularly love how fast paced the gameplay is out of battle and level design in general, and I've always felt the writing and atmosphere of the world is well done.

Might give this another play to celebrate the re release, it's been a while.

MOTHERFUCKER, I sold my wii u a year ago thinking this would never happen and now it does.

Well, to those of you that have Wii Us this is the one game you absolutely should play.

Geno is love, Geno is life, Geno is the best.

TI82

Banned
just got it, I know I've sworn off the VC for it's anti consumer policies but... I love this game :(

hwy_61

Banned
Hey, I owned this on Wii. That means I only pay $1.50 for the Wii U version right? They still doing that?

SalvaPot

I have the cartridge for this but not an SNES, got it for 10 bucks, wonder if its worth something nowadays.

Funny, because I am about to spend about that much money to play this on the Wii U. Hmm, I am kinda debating if I should just wait for a n3DS version. Ah, fuck it, I'm in.

decaf

I'd love to have this on n3DS too. We missed out on it in Europe, and 3DS is the Ninty platform I play most.

Boney

Banned
For some reason I always thought you hated this game!

It's great! Fun pacing and good integration of the Mario universe. Moving is fun because of the high speed, the platforming and no random encounters.

Also pro tip: Mario's jump skill gets one base attack power each time you use it. It starts with 30 and it tops off at 100.

I was currently going through a rom hack called SMRPG Revolution that revamps the combat system a bit. Balances characters out and revamps equipment so it isn't always a straight upgrade path and instead have more side grades. Fun stuff.

jph139

Still my favorite Mario RPG by a longshot. I'm sure some of that is nostalgia, but I don't care - shit's just good, and it definitely held up when I played it on the Wii.

just dropping in to say GODDESS SHIMOMURA also really fun game i recommend it alot and not just because of it's soundtrack

Jeffrey

Still probably my favorite mario rpg. I enjoy paper marios and mario & luigi, but those games always felt more like spinoffs and non of them felt as 'epic' as the original.

I still never got why the mario rpgs after the original all ended up drastically slowing down mario's run speed.

mrmickfran

Still my favorite Mario RPG by a longshot. I'm sure some of that is nostalgia, but I don't care - shit's just good, and it definitely held up when I played it on the Wii.
I'd put it in the top 3 along with Super Star Saga and The Thousand Year Door.

It just oozes charm.

yllekz

Banned
The game kind of looks like/reminds me of old '90s isometric PC RTS games despite not playing like one. I think it's the MIDI-styled music and '90s pre-rendering going on.

The Mario RPGs that came after this are mostly excellent but this game is a classic from a writing and musical standpoint. I'll have to play through this again for like the 10th time now. Seems like I'm due for one.

For some reason I always thought you hated this game!

It's great! Fun pacing and good integration of the Mario universe. Moving is fun because of the high speed, the platforming and no random encounters.

Also pro tip: Mario's jump skill gets one base attack power each time you use it. It starts with 30 and it tops off at 100.

I was currently going through a rom hack called SMRPG Revolution that revamps the combat system a bit. Balances characters out and revamps equipment so it isn't always a straight upgrade path and instead have more side grades. Fun stuff.

The amount of HP that person gave some of the bosses was just straight up ridiculous. I had to quit it at the end of the game, Meant to just continue it with the regular version, but I lost my save file so I have to start over, which I wasn't trying to do.

Good game, but just too damn easy. I wonder if there are any other hacks out there that give proper challenge instead of just giving bosses a ton of HP.

Anyone else at the time thought a Donkey Kong Country RPG in the same style as Super Mario RPG would have been pretty cool?

Jeffrey

First jrpg ever as a youth.

Anyone else get their ass kicked by croco the first time? Early difficulty hike for beginners.

MADGAME

Are there any enhancements to this version such as resolution? Never played this back in Snes days and always wanted to.

Havok1313

Been waiting for this so I can replay it. One of the best SNES games for sure. Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi are cool but they never grabbed me in quite the same way.

Haven't played this since the original cart on SNES, but I seem to remember that the only thing I couldn't do was get the timing down to get the items where you jump on enemies like a ton of times in a row.

Psxphile

Anyone else at the time thought a Donkey Kong Country RPG in the same style as Super Mario RPG would have been pretty cool?

Rare definitely added enough characters into the franchise for it to work. Lanky relegated to sidelines like Cait Sith, Chu-Chu, Sneff and other jRPG 'untouchables', though.

Which reminds me: what's up with the chained-up Kong enemy in SMRPG?

Top Bottom