• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario RPG (Wii U VC) |OT| Starring Mii Gunner as Geno

Rare definitely added enough characters into the franchise for it to work. Lanky relegated to sidelines like Cait Sith, Chu-Chu, Sneff and other jRPG 'untouchables', though.?

We talkin' bout Sneff from Chrono Cross? Greatest character ever (maybe second to Skelly).

Anyway, I downloaded this yesterday. I forgot how much fun this game is. So much charm and just the right amount of challenge. And the timing system keeps battles from getting boring.

CronoRobo

Neo Member
Which reminds me: what's up with the chained-up Kong enemy in SMRPG?

according to Mario Wiki:

Chained Kongs are a species of Kongs that appear in Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Chained Kongs are located in Barrel Volcano. They usually appear alongside Vomers in battle. As the name states, Chained Kongs are apes that have shackles around the arms and legs for unknown reasons. They look very similar to Donkey Kong, only with chains and without the necktie. In battle, they are weak against ice attacks and strong against fire. They have no special attacks, but have high HP along with high attack.

also, according to the same Wiki, there are other enemies that are called "Guerrillas" (same sprite, different color), and if you use a Psychopat on them, there's a subtle Donkey Kong reference (I think), he's thinking:
"Don't confuse me with someone else!"

CronoRobo

Neo Member
Haven't played this since the original cart on SNES, but I seem to remember that the only thing I couldn't do was get the timing down to get the items where you jump on enemies like a ton of times in a row.

just press Y a little later that you "feel" you should do. it's weird, but the Mario's hitbox on that move is kinda weird.
and don't equip the jump shoes, it makes mario spin and makes your timing even trickier.

EDIT: double post, sorry :(

Psxphile

We talkin' bout Sneff from Chrono Cross? Greatest character ever (maybe second to Skelly).
GARBAGE. Skelly too.

also, according to the same Wiki, there are other enemies that are called "Guerrillas" (same sprite, different color), and if you use a Psychopat on them, there's a subtle Donkey Kong reference (I think), he's thinking:
"Don't confuse me with someone else!"

Ha, yeah I remember that being a thing.

As a 10 year old boy back in the summer of 1996 no other videogame before this ever captured my imagination like Super Mario RPG did. It was also my very first story-driven videogame and my first RPG. To this day I hold it in high regard with hope that a true sequel ever gets made.

And no. Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi don't count as true sequels.

SalvaPot

As a 10 year old boy back in the summer of 1996 no other videogame before this ever captured my imagination like Super Mario RPG did. It was also my very first story-driven videogame and my first RPG. To this day I hold it in high regard with hope that a true sequel ever gets made.

Yes they do.

Yes they do.

As true sequels? No they don't. They are Mario RPG games but they're not sequels to Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars.

Hey, I owned this on Wii. That means I only pay $1.50 for the Wii U version right? They still doing that?

I also owned this on Wii. How does one make it so you can buy this at a discount for WiiU? Damn Wii and its lack of unified account system should've made this easier than it probably is.

OmegaFax

I couldn't have said it better myself. Exactly same reason why I hold it in high regard. It's my favorite game of all time.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Rare definitely added enough characters into the franchise for it to work. Lanky relegated to sidelines like Cait Sith, Chu-Chu, Sneff and other jRPG 'untouchables', though.

Takes place at the end of the timeline when DK was imprisoned for hate crimes.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm a big fan of both games/series and I have to disagree. The overall feeling and gameplay is too different.

both are awesome, though.
I agree; nothing has quite captured SMRPG's "vibe." Paper Mario came closest (most likely because it started development as SMRPG 2)

I'd love for another Square collaboration. I think their fingerprint is what made this game feel the way it did. AlphaDream has several employees who worked on SMRPG working on the Mario and Luigi games, but it's not the same.

I don't know what makes the Mario universe produce such quality RPG's, maybe it's because the defy traditional gameplay conventions and have extremely charming and irreverent story and characters. Are there any other RPG series like this? I still have to play Earthbound.

Nairume

Banned
As true sequels? No they don't. They are Mario RPG games but they're not sequels to Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars.

I also owned this on Wii. How does one make it so you can buy this at a discount for WiiU? Damn Wii and its lack of unified account system should've made this easier than it probably is.
All you have to do is have transfered your wii stuff over to your WiiU and it will have registered that you own the Wii version on your NNID.

Azriell

I'm still holding out for it to be ported to the 3DS

Please Nintendo I need it

Playing through Chrono Trigger DS right now, being able to jump to Mario RPG on the same platform would be incredible. Knowing Nintendo, it'll be another year until we get the port.

This is my favorite Mario RPG and 3DS is my preferred method of playing JRPGs, so I'll wait for perfection.

Moving on from that...here's some basic stuff that will help new people while playing.

- Most of the special attacks in the game have Timed Hits. The effects are usually more damage dealt/healed, and in Geno Boost's case an additional defense boost.
- The game is really bad at telling you what other effects equipment have (although that's aso the fault of limited text space). I, for one, went years without realizing that the Safety Badge blocks ALL status effects instead of what it listed ("Prevents Mute and Poison attacks").
- Don't forget to talk to the shopkeeper after getting your first star, but before leaving Mushroom Kingdom.
- Each time you level up, one stat is always going to give a big boost, and the other two will have a smaller one. Depending on the character, you're better off ignoring the big boost sometimes (but the game is easy enough so it doesn't matter much lol).

Commo

Banned
Rare definitely added enough characters into the franchise for it to work. Lanky relegated to sidelines like Cait Sith, Chu-Chu, Sneff and other jRPG 'untouchables', though.

SMRPG_ChainedKong.png

What about Wario?

200px-Smrpg_booster.gif

Boney

Banned
The amount of HP that person gave some of the bosses was just straight up ridiculous. I had to quit it at the end of the game, Meant to just continue it with the regular version, but I lost my save file so I have to start over, which I wasn't trying to do.

Good game, but just too damn easy. I wonder if there are any other hacks out there that give proper challenge instead of just giving bosses a ton of HP.
Ah really? That's a bummer. I'm just past Marrymore and in the water caves before getting to Johny's shipwreck and haven't found anything out of the ordinary so far.

Playing this game for the first time in ~6 years. What's up with the schizophrenic Toad in Seaside town that lets you stay at his Inn for free? You wake up from your slumber only to see the owner scurry out of your room. I checked my bag and didn't see anything missing. Was I violated?

Playing this game for the first time in ~6 years. What's up with the schizophrenic Toad in Seaside town that lets you stay at his Inn for free? You wake up from your slumber only to see the owner scurry out of your room. I checked my bag and didn't see anything missing. Was I violated?

If you have to ask, the answer is Yes

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Are you playing with the sound off or something?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Played this game again back when it came out on the Wii VC, fun game but I agree as an adult it really feels like "Baby's First RPG" and was quite easy---I think Paper Mario does a better job at feeling like a true Mario RPG while at times this feels a bit off, especially due to some localization oddities.

Want to play it again though because it's so relaxing, too bad there's not really any self-imposted challenges I can think of except perhaps not using Peach since she's so good.

Jamaro85

I remember this being a ridiculous amount of fun. Still got the cartridge and might have to pop it in again one of these days.

Ah really? That's a bummer. I'm just past Marrymore and in the water caves before getting to Johny's shipwreck and haven't found anything out of the ordinary so far.

Wait til you get the Axem Rangers and the Factory. The Factory adds a new boss and here's a video of someone else fighting it for you to get an idea of how long it is.

Also, did you encounter any glitches in your patch? In mine, Frogfucious's Lily pads didn't spawn properly so I had to take the patch out and put it back in to get past those parts.

Needham

So I'm playing this game for the first time in decades and holy shit, the theme song to Seaside Town has been haunting me for years! Finally, I know what game it's from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqRH4_EFwc8

The bit 25 seconds in pops in to my head all the time. I've searched so many game soundtracks looking for it. I probably haven't played this game since 1996 or 97, but I still remembered a bunch of tracks from it, so it's surprising I couldn't figure this one out.

prateeko

Does this suffer from any of the slowdown or lag like some of the other Wii U VC games (when compared to the Wii games)?

So I'm playing this game for the first time in decades and holy shit, the theme song to Seaside Town has been haunting me for years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqRH4_EFwc8

The bit 25 seconds in pops in to my head all the time. I've searched so many game soundtracks looking for it. I probably haven't played this game since 1996 or 97, but I still remembered a bunch of tracks from it, so it's surprising I couldn't figure this one out.

I still believe to this day that this is the best version of the original Super Mario Bros. theme ever made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-jO2BgBsjU

Makeda

It's quite easy actually.. as long as you did the Wii -> Wii U system transfer of course* If you did that then you'll be granted a discount when you go to purchase it on eshop as it will recognize the Wii purchase.

*Edit - Not sure if the Wii -> Wii U transfer is required to get the discount but I assume it would be, otherwise not sure how they would be able to track the purchases.

Top Bottom