• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roadhog get #$^*@% ! What's your favorite nerf?

Miracle

As a Roadhog main, this sounds like a buff than a nerf. The hook actually working like its supposed too and not having hooked enemies appear behind me is great.

As a Roadhog main, this sounds like a buff than a nerf. The hook actually working like its supposed too and not having hooked enemies appear behind me is great.

The last change will be horrible against movement characters. Anyone that can generate enough momentum can easily escape it now, which is bullshit. It needs to not only stun you but freeze you in place. Hooking people down from a ledge above isn't bullshit.
Having it unhook when they take two steps back IS bullshit.

My only concern with it really. Everything else is fine.

The thread title had me hope that my long awaited desire for increased hook cool down was underway, alas it's not yet the case.

The McCree nerf in OW was pretty funny for just seeing how much he dropped off in usage overnight, without spam the hammer as a viable tactic many people using him were revealed to be completely inaccurate as him.

Uiki

The thread title had me hope that my long awaited desire for increased hook cool down was underway, alas it's not yet the case.

The McCree nerf in OW was pretty funny for just seeing how much he dropped off in usage overnight, without spam the hammer as a viable tactic many people using him were revealed to be completely inaccurate as him.

Mcree was literally the top dps for all season 2.

No one is playing mcree right now because the balance is totally broken. The only dps you can really use is soldier. There's no point on running anything else than 4 tanks right now (or 3+soldier). Still, he remains the only dps with hanzo and widow with the ability of turning around a teamfight in a couple of shots.

The day blizzard decides to put an end to world of tanks meta, mcree will be back as top dps choice for sure.

hodgy100

mei isn't op? its annoying when she gets you but thats either because you fell for her bait or let her get too close :? mcree reaper pharah or roadhog can easily counter her.

ana needs a nerf i think thats all it needs right now

Shoyz

For all the nerfs, and the more accurate hitbox, if they aren't going to make Ana/Mercy pull to point-blank kill range still I wish they'd make hook a bit longer (though I'm sure everyone else disagrees). As annoying as glitched hooks are, I'm more frustrated regularly by missing hooks by being an inch too short, and Pharahs flying way beyond hook range is really frustrating.

If they're going to ruin Roadhog's ability to peel people out from on top of ledges, I hope they fix Roadhog's inability to hook /from/ ledges in exchange. At the moment, if you hook someone below you, they're consistently pulled too far away to kill.

D.VA nerfs next please!

My favorite nerfs were any done to Dragoon in Final Fantasy XI.

Mostly because the job was already the least popular and most redundant.

loldrg

Anyone remember the Barman's Shanker dagger from vanilla WoW?

It was a blue drop from Black Rock Depths that was, for a short while, the best dagger in the game for Rogues. People were going with this dagger over raid epics because the damage multiplier for ambush/backstab was based off of weapon speed, the Shanker was quite slow for a dagger so it had a bigger multiplier and was doing way more damage than intended.

To make it even better rogues were able to go into BRD solo and use stealth to get to the mob (Plugger) that drops it. Rogues were able to solo Plugger as low as lvl 53 so just about every rogue had a shanker to terrorize cloth armor users with.

It didn't take too long for it to get nerfed but it was damn fun while it lasted.

As a Tracer main this makes me happy. So many hooks that I should have dodged only to be caught anyway due to the ridiculous auto aim.

I think DVA's mostly fine they just need to make her unable to use her ultimate the second her Mech brakes down and get full health back again.

Ana's sleep dart is also kind of ridiculous on how long it lasts, and I wouldn't mind a nerf there.

Owzers

I'm just getting into roadhog play and I hooked a Lucio who landed on my head, laughed, and jumped away while I tried to get orientated.

Elixist

the thing i hate about d.va is her shield is like a strange 3d vortex. i swear it eats shit up like 10 yards away from her, even when shes not even facing that direction. make it flat like everyone elses shield or make it easier to tell where it is.

These people calling for tank nerfs don't realize that it's ana's nade that make triple tank the dominant meta. Every tank would get away with far less murder if they didn't get healed to max through ults and initiation from attacking teams.

xealo

how about they nerf reinhardts shield

and dva

roadhogs greatest weakness is that he has no active mitigation like the other tanks, except for his heal, but that's not really good compared to the shield and matrix

Any particular reason you feel like Reinhardt needs a shield nerf after the introduction of Sombra? Sombra needs to be fixed but nerfing Reinhardt won't change that situation.

darklin0

Banned
These people calling for tank nerfs don't realize that it's ana's nade that make triple tank the dominant meta. Every tank would get away with far less murder if they didn't get healed to max through ults and initiation from attacking teams.
100% correct. Ana is the meta defying character at the moment.

how about they nerf reinhardts shield

and dva

roadhogs greatest weakness is that he has no active mitigation like the other tanks, except for his heal, but that's not really good compared to the shield and matrix

D.va was way worse on day one, she's a much more viable tank now and doesn't need to be nerfed. Why would Rein's shield need a nerf anyway? It's not exactly hard to take down if everyone's wailing on it; or you could just, you know, walk through it and shoot him from the sides and back :/

Rozart

Yeap. Ana pumping away her heals at the tanks is the primary reason why the 3 tank meta is so strong right now.

RawNuts

If they nerfed Ana, it would make me happier. The tank meta right now is making the game stale and she is the main reason, and this is coming from a Roadhog main.

Mcree was literally the top dps for all season 2.

No one is playing mcree right now because the balance is totally broken. The only dps you can really use is soldier. There's no point on running anything else than 4 tanks right now (or 3+soldier). Still, he remains the only dps with hanzo and widow with the ability of turning around a teamfight in a couple of shots.

The day blizzard decides to put an end to world of tanks meta, mcree will be back as top dps choice for sure.

No...

no one is playing mcree because Ana makes playing more tanks better....and Soldier is a more mobile healing mcree. So theres no space for mcree. You only got one dps option, so get the guy who cant move as fast and cant heal? or get the guy that can do both?

I guess im arguing that I don't think it's really the "balance" thats broken as oppossed to just Ana being broken.

Soldier's basically a mobile slightly weaker prone bastion that can heal.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
My favorite nerfs -- the McCree and Genji ones! They made me trade in the game. 😁

pantsmith

Shoutout to the nerfs to Thorn and The Last Word.

Two really fun, really strong guns that became essentially all anyone wanted to use, with Hawkmoon in there for the handful of people who had one. Needed to happen, even if both guns were neat foils to eachother.

I loved the couple weeks after the nerf until the meta settled again.

on my end the hook always looks like its working properly. Yes sometimes I pull people around corners but that has to due to them jumping them into cover as a I'm hooking them. Same thing happens if I die just as I turn a corner. Most people don't understand the range on his hook or don't know how to properly bait it and then complain about it. It has a cooldown. Let him whiff his hook and then go to town on him.

but the hook isnt broken. all the "highly skilled" players in the overwatch OT threads have confirmed this

i also dont think blizzard is a good enough developer to even fix this issue if it hasnt been fixed yet

Lulubop

Too bad they couldn't also nerf him in 3S.

I generally support nerfs for top tier characters in fighting games, since I no longer try to play competitively and was never top level anyway, and I like to watch a variety of different characters being played well. The Nash and Mika nerfs in SFV sound promising because the Evo finals last year were kind of boring to watch. Like, finally, it's even on ESPN2, and then it's "Sonic, Sonic, Sonic, V-Trigger, target combo x Scythe xx Super" ad nauseum. Let's see some other characters, please.

Naah was figured out in the monthes after evo and was def over nerfed.

Nash was arguable hightier by the end of season 1.

You did see more characters if you bothered to pay attention to the rest of season 1.

13randO

I mean she just got buffed....

Sure she did, but she did get quite a few buffs that tipped the game into arguably stale meta that it is in today. I mean, the fact that she so much, Winston fell right out, largely because D.Va took his job and then some. People stopped using characters like genji more and more because he gets dunked on by targets with a lot of health in general (that, and Ana has the tools to 1 v 1 genji's easily because of the biotic nade). That's just what I'm seeing in my matches, anyway. I feel that even if she gets scaled by just a bit, her slot in the mobile tank dept. will still be there for her.

agVZywr_700b.jpg

Demo mains continue to whine about it to this day.

Odrion

Banned
He has passive line of sight healing, you can keep people alive just by existing

He has passive line of sight speed boost, reach objectives faster than your enemy

He's aggravatingly mobile, he can hold objectives just by jumping around walls

He can push people off the ledge, just in case he wasn't an optimal enough pick already, now even moreso on stages with fall hazards

It's difficult to focus him because of his mobility, he diverts fire from the enemy team but he's one of the hardest heroes to hit in the game, and every second he's living he's healing his entire team

His ultimate is pretty much a panic button for ANY SITUATION that will win teamfights more often than not.

And worst of all, the asshole can literally fight you if you try to focus him down, and while doing everything else i just mentioned at the same time

He's broken. He just does way too many things, way too well.
not really, you just described specifics about his character.

roadhog can stun and kill people in one shot!! bastion can out dps the combined damage of the players on the rest of your team!!

not overpowered, because overwatch is a game built around exaggerated abilities and mechanical advantages. what is relevant about lucio being picked all the time at high levels isn't that he can boop people off ledges, it's that he can increase someone's movement speed by 70% and everyone plays the game around that buff at the higher levels.

so to change that, you need to either:

1. nerf lucio's speed boost until it's no longer impactful, which is dumb and bad design that'll lead to heroes becoming homogeneous with one another

2. give speed boost buffs to other heroes, and i guess blizzard ain't going that route after they removed it from Ana's ult.

3. buff and retool other heroes to specifically counter and punish the play style that revolves around lucio's speed boost. which they KINDA have been doing with Torb's and Symmetra's mechanic changes. unfortunately the tank meta might be hiding the effects of those changes.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe he'll be less anti-fun to play against now.

Uiki

No...

no one is playing mcree because Ana makes playing more tanks better....and Soldier is a more mobile healing mcree. So theres no space for mcree. You only got one dps option, so get the guy who cant move as fast and cant heal? or get the guy that can do both?

I guess im arguing that I don't think it's really the "balance" thats broken as oppossed to just Ana being broken.

Soldier's basically a mobile slightly weaker prone bastion that can heal.

Ana is not the only problem/enabler here. Nerfing nade or heals on her doesn't change the fact that tanks are doing more dps than dpss. Even without the nade the meta would just be the same as it is now.
You pick soldier now because he's better at breaking rein's shield in combo with hog to land a hook. And it's WAY easier to play than mcree. Soldier isn't doing the dps work, it's just there to put hog in a position to get the pick. Once you are 5v6 you are halfway done.

Ana needs a nerf for sure (remove the +100 instant heal when you nade? 30% heals buff instead of 50? rifle healing less than what it does now?) but that's not the problem here. It's a combination of really bad hero design, dps doing less damage than heals and tanks being basically the god pick because they can fill all the roles needed right now.

not really, you just described specifics about his character.

roadhog can stun and kill people in one shot!! bastion can out dps the combined damage of the players on the rest of your team!!

not overpowered, because overwatch is a game built around exaggerated abilities and mechanical advantages. what is relevant about lucio being picked all the time at high levels isn't that he can boop people off ledges, it's that he can increase someone's movement speed by 70% and everyone plays the game around that buff at the higher levels.

so to change that, you need to either:

1. nerf lucio's speed boost until it's no longer impactful, which is dumb and bad design that'll lead to heroes becoming humongous with one another

2. give speed boost buffs to other heroes, and i guess blizzard ain't going that route after they removed it from Ana's ult.

3. buff and retool other heroes to specifically counter and punish the play style that revolves around lucio's speed boost. which they KINDA have been doing with Torb's and Symmetra's mechanic changes. unfortunately the tank meta might be hiding the effects of those changes.

I really believe that the only route here is another hero with some sort of speed buff. I would much prefer a tank with a small speedboost aura than the symmetra-torb route they took.

Permanently A

I really believe that the only route here is another hero with some sort of speed buff. I would much prefer a tank with a small speedboost aura than the symmetra-torb route they took.

Our current tanks are all shield based so I fully expect Doomfist to be aura based.

Maximo

Can't believe after the moment speed, armor buff, and defense matrix buff there were STILL people asking blizzard to remove D.Vas big head hitbox.

You know normally I don't like nerfs, just as a general concept. Upscaling other abilities to counter them is more fun the just killing anything that feels satisfying. Overwatch specifically often feels like the community is too nerf-happy. Also Mei is bae.

Anyways, on-topic, I liked how Blackbeard was nerfed to mid/low-tier in Siege. He was the most braindead easy character to play and was still incredibly effective. I'm glad that was hit hard with the nerf bat.

Sande

Reinhardt is probably one of the most balanced heroes in the game.
Rein is one of the most perfectly balanced heroes in the game.
No, he's in a desperate need for a nerf.

Being 100% mandatory for almost every team comp is not healthy for the game. I don't know what it is about Rein that make him seem so fair to a lot people when he's absolutely busted. People have apparently just accepted that the whole game revolves around this one insane character. It doesn't have to be that way.

Before nerfing Rein, nerf Ana. The reason why German man works so well is bionade.

He gets close to enemy, she throws the nade. It detonates and gives heals buffs to him and negates the enemy's. She can just heal Rein while he deals damage.

I love granny, but she's too strong atm
Rein was a must pick even before Ana. Now it's just beyond ridiculous.

Blizzard

Banned
Actually they're buffing him.

"Firstly, the hook victim will now move in to the position directly in front of Roadhog, rather than just a straight line towards him."

Thanks Blizzard! No more Ana, Lucio and Genji ending up behind me or on top of me somehow.
This was my biggest problem. If Roadhog actually behaves consistently, THEN maybe he can be nerfed. Otherwise, people (especially Lucio and Genji) sometimes randomly end up in odd places.

I may be biased becaused I hate anything involving enemy Tracer / Genji / Sombra players and their rapid movement, however.

Spinifex

Can't believe after the moment speed, armor buff, and defense matrix buff there were STILL people asking blizzard to remove D.Vas big head hitbox.

DVa has the same amount of armor as before. She got 100 more base HP in mechform, it melts in like 1 second.

Dva also does pitiful damage unless she's virtually in Melee range which means even Mercy mains are landing 100% headshots.

tl;dr cry more.

Sande

Famas in COD Black Ops might be my personal favourite. Although only because it finally did happen, not so much for the nerf itself. I had pretty much stopped playing at that point and the nerf was pretty unsubstantial as far as I can remember, but at least after months and months of "it's fine" they admitted something had to be done.

For those who don't know, Famas was at the top of the class in fire rate and accuracy while being insignificantly outclassed in damage. It did 35, some others did 40. With player health being 100, you can probably add up why that almost never matters. So the only downside the gun had was practically meaningless.

bman94

The Retro Lancer from Gears 3 to Gears 4. It's a decent weapon in Gears 4 but the damn thing was unstoppable in Gears 3. Like 2 seconds and you were downed with the Retro in Gears 3.

Top Bottom