• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project scorpio to be unveiled at E3

LastChance2Frag

Neo Member
Sony really have a BIG advantage.

They can practically do E3 with barely any exclusive games and just show first footage of Red Dead 2, Destiny 2, Star Wars BF 2, CODWW2 and they'd have a terrific E3 just for that. That's definately going to steal a lot of MS' thunder because those games (especially Star Wars, Red Dead 2 are HUGE). Not to mention CODWW2 and Destiny 2 which are no slouch either. I know they're just marketing rights but for E3 and the target audience they'll reach with those marketing rights (not to mention hype and buzz) will be off the charts. Whereas MS won't have that. And I simply can't think of anything MS can do, in terms of games, that can rival that.

I agree that these are really big gets for Sony and it would be very strange due to the past two years for them not to have a few nostalgia surprises and first party games on top. But hasn't there been occasions where both MS and Sony have showed the same third party game at there own conferences. Even though MS has Scorpio to show off they really need to show some big surprises other than Forza, Halo, Crackdown & State of decay 2.

Detective

Still an Xbox one don't know why some of you are so excited. By the time E3 starts the first half lineup has been abysmal compared to the competition. Seriously get a pc if you're so excited over power. People should be asking for the games

One MS exclusive equals all the competitions exclusive for me. That's why I got rid of it,
So why don't you run along and go play your *games* instead of spending time and effort into something that doesn't interest you.

Hoo-doo

Banned
One MS exclusive equals all the competitions exclusive for me. That's why I got rid of it,
So why don't you run along and go play your *games* instead of spending time and effort into something that doesn't interest you.

I mean, yeah, who the fuck likes games on here. Crazy right.

True but having the best system for for all 3rd party titles could potentially be a massive mindshare win.

I didn't see an explosion of interest towards the PS4 Pro even though it had proven itself to be the best place to play everything when it comes to consoles for over a year. I don't think people will suddenly feel this is really important now Xbox has the better box. I mean, the cheaper system will always be the primary system until we actually get to a new gen.

blakep267

True but having the best system for for all 3rd party titles could potentially be a massive mindshare win.
Like let's not act like last year the Scorpio page on IGN wasn't one of the most visited E3 pages. On here it's not gonna win anything or matter, but if MS gets scorpio as one of the main talking points coming out of E3 for the mainstream , then they win

Brokun

People who think it is logical to price the Scorpio at $399. You are correct.

What you are forgetting: Microsoft.

The same people who were high fiving each other after the Xbox One reveal of Kinect, Tv features, a bad price point and poor used games messaging. High fiving each other. Like they nailed it.

Microsoft has a history of being incredibly tone deaf. There is no way the Scorpio is less than $449. I am expecting $499 personally.

Although, I would be happy to be wrong because it's about time Microsoft got competitive.

Theorry

The same people who were high fiving each other after the Xbox One reveal of Kinect, Tv features, a bad price point and poor used games messaging. High fiving each other. Like they nailed it.

Microsoft has a history of being incredibly tone deaf. There is no way the Scorpio is less than $449. I am expecting $499 personally.

Although, I would be happy to be wrong because it's about time Microsoft got competitive.

Its like you removed the last 4 years of them not being tone deaf at all.

ThatsBait.gif

meirl

Banned

Wrong. And please Just look what Microsoft did recently. Allowing gamers to play their Old digital and physical games FOR FREE without charging extra (if you owned).
Or allowing gamers to Return digital games.

The Microsoft today is NOT the same as the Microsoft Back when Xbox One launched. lets be real here, okay?

Elandyll

Banned
Like let's not act like last year the Scorpio page on IGN wasn't one of the most visited E3 pages. On here it's not gonna win anything or matter, but if MS gets scorpio as one of the main talking points coming out of E3 for the mainstream , then they win
Win what, out of curiosity?

The last thread that everyone kept bringing up, "bb-but xbawx has no gamez!" got locked and everyone in that thread ignored something a mod posted so I'm going to post it here as well.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
"Xbox has no games"

Yes it does. Any third party game is going to be better on Scorpio than it is on PS4 and PS4 Pro. Faster CPU, faster GPU, more memory. It's the same equation at the start of the gen, in reverse. OP isn't proposing that he's going to never play a Sony game again or selling his PS4, but instead is proposing that the Scorpio become his new main gaming machine for third party games. Which is perfectly logical, and he's not going to be the only person who does this. For reference, third party multiplatform games are the majority of all console games this generation, by an order of magnitude.

People saying PC will have the best third party games aren't incorrect, but PC seems to exist in a quantum superposition where it only matters when we're talking about Xbox games. Like when people were shit slinging in 2013/14 about PS4 being superior in multiplats, they didn't care that PC was blowing both systems away. Some people simply don't want to game on PC, and for those people, which console is going to have better perf does matter.

blakep267

Not the generation of course. Headlines. Mindshare of the general public. Good will etc.if coming out of E3, the biggest things are RDR2, WW2 COD and Scorpio, that's hige

The s and the slim are going to be the biggest sellers this holiday. Duh. But you want this product to be seen as desirable and buzzworthy in the future and start building a foundation.

Somnia

Where have you been for the last 4 years as the entire company has changed since then?

EGM1966

Expected. Interested to see what it looks like and ideally finally find out what it's called and how much it will cost.

ZoyosJD

$399 is fine.

The die size is the same as the original XBO and PS4. This time the on die RAM is gone and so is Kinect, so this should fall in line with the cost parameters of the PS4.

They are adding a vapor chamber cooling system, but the cost of such should be ~$10 in mass production.

The custom power phase regulation should cost a couple dollars per unit at most.

As seen with the One S, the cost of changing to the UHD disc drive is <$20.

The hard drive space is being doubled and the RAM is increased by 50%, but this is in comparison to what will be 4 year old machines. (In all fairness, the prices in these two industries have stagnated somewhat)

Profit margin on $399 should be thin to non-existant, but easily made up for with software sales and subscriptions that result in much better ROI over time.

Elandyll

Banned
Not the generation of course. Headlines. Mindshare of the general public. Good will etc.
But we already known the power level thanks to not one but 2 previous reveals, they already have a very well price positionned BR UHD player with the XB1S and we have seen the results of 6tf with Forza 7 in 4k60.

The only way for them to have a "game changer" that you seem to describe is either a massive exclusive (3rd party, as we know what the MS 1st party studios are busy doing, and what seems to be coming this year has been shown in MS's E3s for years now, from Sea of Thieves to Crackdown 3 to Cuphead to State of Decay 2) or a price level that would be seen as mind blowing (sub $399, which noone in their right mind expects)...

We also know that a big difference in power (compare a Pro to an XB1S) does not mean alone great sales, particularly at this point in the gen imo.

So... Marketing magic? Maybe?

Zukkoyaki

Predictions are always fun!

- $399
- October release date
- Same day as Crackdown 3
- Video showing the box, release and date opens the conference
- I also predict that there will be $449 bundle SKU. Something like Gears 4 + Forza Horizon 3 would be amazing.

MarveI

The interesting thing that upsets the apple cart is that in any other year that would be fantastic as Sony would have default the best looking console versions of those games. This year though it creates a bit of a problem as people will want to see what those multiplats look like on Scorpio. Now whether that happens at E3 there is nothing Sony can do to stop other game outlets and more importantly streamers and lets plays discussing comparisons well before the games come out.

Plus and this will be also very interesting how aggressively will MS market this machine? Sony did the bare minimum with the Pro. I personally think MS will have an obscene non stop barrage of ads. That will use every buzzword in the book to make the Scorpio look like the place to play the best version of those games.

It's going to be a crazy couple of months.

That's exactly why I brought that up. Any other year, like you said, wouldn't be as much of an issue. But the one year MS brings out the most powerful console, the best place to play 3p games, it would've been a huge selling and buzz point if they could've showed first footage of RDR2 and BF2 (aka the best 3P games). It would've been the perfect storm in a way especially the issues they have with 1P. For most of us on Gaf it's no biggie we know it's just marketing rights but for others it serves as an illusion that it's synonymous with the brand kind of gives off the vibe that you can only play it on the console shown (first impression). And those 2 games are going to reach an audience no other game this year would.

Will be interesting to see MS' approach with E3.

yQ0zUh2.jpg

djnewwest

Banned
But we already known the power level thanks to not one but 2 previous reveals, they already have a very well price positionned BR UHD player with the XB1S and we have seen the results of 6tf with Forza 7 in 4k60.

The only way for them to have a "game changer" that you seem to describe is either a massive exclusive (3rd party, as we know what the MS 1st party studios are busy doing, and what seems to be coming this year has been shown in MS's E3s for years now, from Sea of Thieves to Crackdown 3 to Cuphead to State of Decay 2) or a price level that would be seen as mind blowing (sub $399, which noone in their right mind expects)...

We also know that a big difference in power (compare a Pro to an XB1S) does not mean alone great sales, particularly at this point in the gen imo.

So... Marketing magic? Maybe?

Not sure what your hinting at? Seems like you think Scorpio will flop?

Three

If it is 399 you are getting a lot for that price

Would be huge

Not really getting a lot. I think it is an average price for what you get but I still don't expect 399 simply because of the fact that MS tend to overprice their hardware to get maximum profit from early adoptors then lower it later.

paulogy

Not really getting a lot. I think it is an average price for what you get but I still don't expect 399 simply because of the fact that MS tend to overprice their hardware to get maximum profit from early adoptors then lower it later.

But they can easily make a more premium SKU (Elite controller, XBL, games etc) and drive that price up for the diehards, and keep the core at $399

Three

But they can easily make a more premium SKU (Elite controller, XBL, games etc) and drive that price up for the diehards, and keep the core at $399

They did more expensive SKUs for the XB1S, held back the cheaper option so that the early adopters pay the premium. Then when the early adopters were covered released the cheaper options.

Fisty

399 is the smart bet, Sony has been stomping them with that pricepoint, and the specs line up with that price.

MS isn't stupid, so I hope they are buying up studios and about to drop some megaton exclusive announcements. E3 is going to be pretty deadly for them if they don't step up their game big time in that dept.

I've got my eye on Xbox, and I haven't said that since 2002

Top Bottom