• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 minutes of Monster Hunter World footage

1. Has there been any indication from the devs so far (I haven't seen a translation of any of the Q&A stuff if this has been addressed or not) to demonstrate that monsters will or won't start each quest in the same region this time around? If it's not randomized, then the situation you describe hasn't changed at all regardless of the tracking features. If the monster spawns are randomized...then following the bug swarm from point to point right to it invalidates the reason for randomizing it in the first place. If the goal is to save time from having people randomly wandering, then just plunk the monster in front of home base and be done with it instead of this half-measure.

2. True and I'll most likely be doing that. I just find it a curious choice to make this time around when watching and learning the monsters themselves has typically been one of the unique points to the series. Not a deal-breaker, just weird.

1. No confirmation about whether it's randomized or not. My point was this "sense of search" you were referring to has never been there, even in the previous games besides on the VERY FIRST hunt of each monster type in each separate map. Scout flies or no scout flies.

For the record, I'm perfectly fine with it working as it always has (monsters always start in the same zone in each map), even in this new game with open maps and scout flies.

OmegaDL50

1. No confirmation about whether it's randomized or not. My point was this "sense of search" you were referring to has never been there, even in the previous games besides on the VERY FIRST hunt of each monster type in each separate map. Scout flies or no scout flies.

For the record, I'm perfectly fine with it working as it always has (monsters always start in the same zone in each map), even in this new game with open maps and scout flies.

I can see it right now the folks that think that looking for a specific monster should be randomized, yet don't realize once they get in the late game and just want to get the kill over with so they hopefully get the mats they need just to progress to the next hunt don't realize how much a "You poor innocent child" moment it actually can be.

We are talking about the same series in which you can be stuck fighting the same monster 20 times in a row to point of getting sick of seeing it and STILL not get the right items you need just to finally move on to take on the next challenge to continue the loop of hunt > carve > upgrade > hunt.

Doorman

Maybe phrasing it as "sense of search" was poor word-choice on my part, I'm just not a fan of how...overt the game is being about some stuff now? At least in previous games if you knew where a monster was starting, it was because you yourself actually knew it from your own experience (or, I guess, you had the right armor skills or a felyne meal beforehand), and not because you had a giant glowing sign telling you exactly where to go. It reminds me a bit of the...I think it was the 4 Ultimate demo back in the day(?), where on top of the monster being auto-tracked there would be a series of jumping red arrows on the field itself to tell you which zone to go to next. I get it for the sake of expediting things, but there's a fine line to toe here between making things streamlined and accessible vs. feeling like it's dumbing down the game.

If the environments turn out to be way more massive or complex than they used to be, or there's a ton of different monsters on the field at once, this might make more sense to me, and I still like the idea in concept, I'd just personally prefer a small tweak to its execution to make it a bit less obtrusive. In my earlier example of having the bugs just point you in the right direction rather than outright guiding you, once you've played on that field a few times and understand the monster, you'll likely know what section of the map you're ultimately going to find the monster in anyway so the search won't be that long or drawn out, but there's still a small sense of player-deduction to it.

OmegaDL50

Maybe phrasing it as "sense of search" was poor word-choice on my part, I'm just not a fan of how...overt the game is being about some stuff now? At least in previous games if you knew where a monster was starting, it was because you yourself actually knew it from your own experience (or, I guess, you had the right armor skills or a felyne meal beforehand), and not because you had a giant glowing sign telling you exactly where to go. It reminds me a bit of the...I think it was the 4 Ultimate demo back in the day(?), where on top of the monster being auto-tracked there would be a series of jumping red arrows on the field itself to tell you which zone to go to next. I get it for the sake of expediting things, but there's a fine line to toe here between making things streamlined and accessible vs. feeling like it's dumbing down the game.

If the environments turn out to be way more massive or complex than they used to be, or there's a ton of different monsters on the field at once, this might make more sense to me, and I still like the idea in concept, I'd just personally prefer a small tweak to its execution to make it a bit less obtrusive.

The fireflies however don't instantly show you where the monster actually is. You need to search for clues like monster saliva and droppings / scent to teach the fireflies hints that bring you closer to the monsters actual location. It's not a thing where you just sent the flies out and you instantly know where the monster is going to be. You need to train the flies so the path to the monster is gradually learned over time.

If the environments turn out to be way more massive or complex than they used to be, or there's a ton of different monsters on the field at once, this might make more sense to me, and I still like the idea in concept, I'd just personally prefer a small tweak to its execution to make it a bit less obtrusive. In my earlier example of having the bugs just point you in the right direction rather than outright guiding you, once you've played on that field a few times and understand the monster, you'll likely know what section of the map you're ultimately going to find the monster in anyway but there's still a small sense of player-deduction to it.

Okay, I get what you mean better now.

And yeah, hopefully once we "know" where the monsters are we can just choose not to have the scout flies come out and do their thing at all.

Character screen looks hot

Fight was kinda long isn't it?
Are you supposed to grind them?

Without all the screwing around and showing off features I estimate that fight would've taken 10-ish minutes with those 4 people.

You grind monsters you want specific parts from. If you don't want anything from a monster, you don't have to grind it.

If the environments turn out to be way more massive or complex than they used to be, or there's a ton of different monsters on the field at once, this might make more sense to me, and I still like the idea in concept, I'd just personally prefer a small tweak to its execution to make it a bit less obtrusive. In my earlier example of having the bugs just point you in the right direction rather than outright guiding you, once you've played on that field a few times and understand the monster, you'll likely know what section of the map you're ultimately going to find the monster in anyway but there's still a small sense of player-deduction to it.
Or you looked at the wiki, though that was usually so you could look up damage charts, find specific materials, and such. Too much of the game was obfuscated leading to a general reliance on external tools, especially for newcomers.

ilium

A swarm of glowing bugs may seem a little over the top I agree

I wonder if there would've been another animal to use as a tracker, one that is established in the series even...

OmegaDL50

Or you looked at the wiki, though that was usually so you could look up damage charts, find specific materials, and such. Too much of the game was obfuscated leading to a general reliance on external tools, especially for newcomers.

That did also tie in with some of the community aspects though. Having everyone learn new stuff and being able to contribute their new findings to this common database where everyone could learn together. This especially on new release when most of the information is mainly guesswork and not set in stone until much later for those that pick up the game months down the line with everything all laid out for them on the wiki.

It was the culmination of early players working together, fact checking their findings and confirming the data to make it useful for the general public. I find this to be a strength with these sorts of games.

Ridley327

Character screen looks hot

Fight was kinda long isn't it?
Are you supposed to grind them?

This demo was heavily guided in order to show off the various features. Had they not shown off the ecology stuff with Great Jagras and taken the Rathalos detour, this would have been done in 10 minutes easily. Anjanath looks very much like a early game monster, so he's not going to be putting up much of a threat by himself.

No forward hop is new and a game changer for lancers

Lance has had forward dash into shield bash.

But it does look like lance can dodge forward now (sliding step, like side to side dodges work) where it used to not be able to.

EDIT: Here's a timestamp to the lance slide forward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU2NAsyFXRo&feature=youtu.be&t=17m56s

This shit better translate to the gunlance too. I'm hoping for a heavy overhaul of Gunlance gameplay to make it worthy enough for the concept of a freakin' Gunlance.

OmegaDL50

This shit better translate to the gunlance too. I'm hoping for a heavy overhaul of Gunlance gameplay to make it worthy enough for the concept of a freakin' Gunlance.

I hope the Longsword or Switch Axe is included.

I used to be a Sword and Shield user who eventually moved up to the Greatsword until they came out with the Switch Axe which seemed to combine everything I loved about S'n'S and Greatsword together.

I liked the Longsword for charge meter craziness, the Switch Axe phials sort of do the same thing I guess with powering up the weapon.

Salaadin

I think my biggest concern is that I didnt hear the Rathalos music :(
Did they say whether or not the familar MH songs will be making a comeback?

I can see it right now the folks that think that looking for a specific monster should be randomized, yet don't realize once they get in the late game and just want to get the kill over with so they hopefully get the mats they need just to progress to the next hunt don't realize how much a "You poor innocent child" moment it actually can be.

We are talking about the same series in which you can be stuck fighting the same monster 20 times in a row to point of getting sick of seeing it and STILL not get the right items you need just to finally move on to take on the next challenge to continue the loop of hunt > carve > upgrade > hunt.

to be fair the grind is hardly required

Some people can beat the game with budget armor and focus on weapons

This game eases up on the player as you aquire the skills. Once you get good enough the whole min max pressure is self inflicted

Even focusing on weapons you can be stuck on a 1% drop for an eternity.
You don;t need those weapons to beat the game though. It's entirely possible to solo your way from the beginning through G rank without repeating a single quest.
Oh sure, I was thinking beyond just that.

You don;t need those weapons to beat the game though. It's entirely possible to solo your way from the beginning through G rank without repeating a single quest.

I never struggled and there was an abundance of armor choices and alternate weapons to work on in the meantime

I hope the Longsword or Switch Axe is included.

I used to be a Sword and Shield user who eventually moved up to the Greatsword until they came out with the Switch Axe which seemed to combine everything I loved about S'n'S and Greatsword together.

I liked the Longsword for charge meter craziness, the Switch Axe phials sort of do the same thing I guess with powering up the weapon.

When you say Switch Axe, I assume you're talking about Charge Blade?

Also, all weapons are returning, hopefully all with improvements. Though not that there's much I'd change about the Charge Blade, it's already my joint favourite weapon conceptually (joint with gunlance), but compared to Gunlance the Charge Blade plays like a dream.
Maybe I'd change up what you can do with phials. Maybe rather than using them in a combo, you could use all 5 phials at once to do a single big explosion. Or some kind of Wyvern Fire like ranged cleave attack.

Ridley327

I think my biggest concern is that I didnt hear the Rathalos music :(
Did they say whether or not the familar MH songs will be making a comeback?

It's not even the same roar anymore, but I think that's probably because they've been using the same one since 2004.

Lagiacrus needs to be back

love that bastard

One of my favorite monster designs in the whole series. TBF MH3U was my first game, but I've been through the wikia for older designs and I still think he holds up. Though I don't like underwater fights generally, I do agree that the lack of them might have neutered him fight wise.

Maybe I'd change up what you can do with phials. Maybe rather than using them in a combo, you could use all 5 phials at once to do a single big explosion. Or some kind of Wyvern Fire like ranged cleave attack.

Apologies, but could you describe this? Wouldn't this be the this the Ultra Blast for the Charge Blade introduced in Generations?

Though it seems it apparently could be buffed to be more useful.

Edit; It's not like a huge explosion though, just a move that does high damage + the explosions from the regular super burst except it drains all your phials and shield charge.

Ridley327

Lagi is pointless without underwater combat though. :p

They could always just make the default version of Lagi the Super G-rank Ivory incarnation!

NOTE TO NEWBIES: Abandon all hope, ye who accepts the Super G-rank Ivory Lagiacrus quest in MH3U.

Runner67

Lagi is pointless without underwater combat though. :p

Never played Generations have you? Dude is like a walking power source now on land. Insane buffs.

aka, he's a lot harder in Generations. Fully believe that if they keep him, he'll use the same/similar moveset.

Kyoufu

Never played Generations have you? Dude is like a walking power source now on land. Insane buffs.

aka, he's a lot harder in Generations. Fully believe that if they keep him, he'll use the same/similar moveset.

I thought he was a joke in Generations tbh.

Every monster in that game is a joke thanks to Styles/Arts. Maybe he'd be better in World, but... I doubt it.

Runner67

I thought he was a joke in Generations tbh.

Every monster in that game is a joke thanks to Styles/Arts. Maybe he'd be better in World, but... I doubt it.

Play XX, hyper G rank Lagiacrus is no joke. But true.

Edit: And people like you and me are used to it, but those who are new would have issues with all of those new AOE attacks

forrest

formerly nacire
A swarm of glowing bugs may seem a little over the top I agree

I wonder if there would've been another animal to use as a tracker, one that is established in the series even...

That's probably my biggest issue with the Scout Flies is that they resemble auto quest pathing in games we've seen before, which I'm not a huge fan of.

I quite like the idea of having to track and hunt the creature, finding fresh kills, droppings, tracks without all of the flash and automation of the flies would be just fine with me.

Although I could probably accept your notion of using some other animal, maybe a dog, bird of prey or something would be a little less fantastical. /shrug

In the end, it will be just fine and I will play the hell out of this game. :D

My only complaint so far is the freaking Greatsword chargeup.

WHERE THE FUCK IS MY BIG GLOWY RED AURA?! Now it's just a lame looking red body glow

AzureFlame

Lagiacrus needs to be back

love that bastard

thumb-350-556757.jpg

His design is among the best.

Thoraxes

Has someone in here explained what makes monster hunter such a popular series? I never understood it going off screenshots or videos
For me it the series was always about fun boss fights in 15 minute or so bursts that I could play with anyone in a unified community, anytime and anywhere. Learning the habits then helping my friends out while I was in the room with them was great. And once you learn habit/eating patterns to where you memorize, the usually fast pick up and play nature of the game really shines.

Discovering people who also play that I passed in RL daily thanks to streetpass was a great experience for my time with the series.

Khezu

Lagi is awesome, and has cool weapons and armor.

But he should never ever return.

Not until we get under water combat back.

With out, he is a pathetic shell of his former self.

Kyoufu

After watching the footage a few times, I'm already used to the Scout Flies. It seems like I can ignore the minimap completely and just follow the flies.

Nobody should have a problem finding monsters anymore.

One of my favorite monster designs in the whole series. TBF MH3U was my first game, but I've been through the wikia for older designs and I still think he holds up. Though I don't like underwater fights generally, I do agree that the lack of them might have neutered him fight wise.

Apologies, but could you describe this? Wouldn't this be the this the Ultra Blast for the Charge Blade introduced in Generations?

Though it seems it apparently could be buffed to be more useful.

Edit; It's not like a huge explosion though, just a move that does high damage + the explosions from the regular super burst except it drains all your phials and shield charge.
Is that the one where you store the charges in your shield itself? I was thinking of it just being part of the transformed moveset to give options. So if you have few openings, use all explosions at once, but if you have a chance to hit the monster repeatedly, use each charge individually for a higher damage total over all or something.

And my other idea was basically a ranged attack where you slam the blade down and explosions travel along the ground a short distance or something.

After watching the footage a few times, I'm already used to the Scout Flies. It seems like I can ignore the minimap completely and just follow the flies.

how can you have trouble finding when psychoserum exists

OmegaDL50

You know how there is a food buffs in that you can eat a meal before a Hunt and have a temporary boost for the duration of the next hunt.

What instead of food buffs, you could for example take your sword to the Blacksmith and pay for a coating and tempering service.

This lets you coat your sword in various oils and firing them in the smith to bake the effects in that only last for a single hunt.

It's the same concept as Food Buffs but more utilitarian weapon based effects like having 25% more Sharpness than normal (i.e if max is 100% the buff you have 125%), or elemental status inflict stuff, like coating your sword with a sleeping or paralysis powder that gives it a very small chance to inflict that status effect to the weapon.

I'd say the more powerful effects require some rare ingredients. Rathian has poison ailment right? So say using a Rathian Liver to coat your sword gives your sword a temporary boost of poison ailment effect.

Is this a bad idea? Or would something like this work, minding it's not overly powerful and the cost of the ingredients you use for the bonus effect are reasonable to make them fair exchange for the benefit recieved.

Kyoufu

Is this a bad idea? Or would something like this work, minding it's not overly powerful and the cost of the ingredients you use for the bonus effect are reasonable to make them fair exchange for the benefit recieved.

It's not a bad idea if it's additional to food buffs rather than a replacement. No matter what the Blacksmith does to your weapon it wouldn't be able to grant you buffs completely unrelated to the weapon itself. Like starting a hunt at the secret area, having felyne heroics, or increasing your resistances.

Hopefully the cooking cats are still in the game. It's a series staple by now and fits with the overall lore.

Tenbatsu

Do hope they adapt XX's brave mode gunlance guard point reloading. That was the best gunlance ever in a MH game, the move changes everything.

What's the reaction from Japanese gamers for a console MH game?
Are they yay or nay?

I've been reading Japanese comments on Japanese MHW videos all day, and I've seen a lot of:

"I'm going to buy a ps4 for this."

"Finally, the MH I've been waiting for."

"MH is back."

"This is a godlike looking game (神ゲー)."

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I hope the Longsword or Switch Axe is included。

Apparently all 14 current weapons will be in.

I understand how it's supposed to streamline things for the new/casual user, and I have no problem with that, but it does seem a little overbearing in its current iteration.

Not only can you ignore the minimap, but the surroundings as well, which seems counter-intuitive to what they're going for by expanding on the actual hunting elements. "Just follow the green glow" doesn't seem like a good compromise. Maybe the bugs will become redundant once you learn monster patterns (like with Psychoserum), or maybe you don't have to use them at all.

That said, this is literally the only thing bugging me (hah!) about the game in its current state. Everything else looks incredible. Can't wait to finally play with friends around the world in high fidelity.

What's the reaction from Japanese gamers for a console MH game?
Are they yay or nay?

I've seen the word "godlike" used in several places. Seems pretty yay.

Edit: Amethyst on top of things!

I've been reading Japanese comments on Japanese MHW videos all day, and I've seen a lot of:

"I'm going to buy a ps4 for this."

"Finally, the MH I've been waiting for."

"MH is back."

"This is a godlike looking game (神ゲー)."

Nice. I hope the game is a hit worldwide. The series truly deserves it, and the fanbase does too. We've been asking for an evolution from PS2 era graphics forever and we finally got it. Really hope Capcom don't region lock the servers again!

Top Bottom