• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanWinkle

Guac and Sly are the only two games I am getting off of the list. Tearaway seems interesting, but I dislike the focus on using the mic and backtouch.

what makes you think mic and back touch are a focus? back touch plays a role, but mic was just shown briefly in the trailer and that was before real production on the game even started, so it could very well not even be in there.

I'll join in:

Ayup:
Soul Sacrifice
Killzone: Mercenary
Dragons Crown
Guacamelee!

Depends:
The Binding of Issac : Rebirth
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus
Warrior's Lair (Used to be 'Ruin')

Why don't we just make this a Community section thread? I know we post news here too, but really, it's a community discussion place mainly :p

Tried that, mods closed it.

what makes you think mic and back touch are a focus? back touch plays a role, but mic was just shown briefly in the trailer and that was before real production on the game even started, so it could very well not even be in there.

The focus of the previews made it seem like the core concept was you manipulating the world from outside of the vita. While I love the art style, none of that seems appealing to me in the least. I would have personally preferred it to be a more traditional 3d advetnure/platformer styled game.

Then again, I'd have been happy if the Vita had shipped without the gyro, mic, and back touch all together. :)

VanWinkle

The focus of the previews made it seem like the core concept was you manipulating the world from outside of the vita. While I love the art style, none of that seems appealing to me in the least. I would have personally preferred it to be a more traditional 3d advetnure/platformer styled game.

Then again, I'd have been happy if the Vita had shipped without the gyro, mic, and back touch all together. :)

Without a mic?! I LOVE having a mic there. Everyone has a mic for multiplayer games and I don't have to use some external headset or something.

About Tearaway, though, I'd say at least wait to decide your feelings about it until we get a new preview of it. Everything we know about the game was during pre-production. The game had not been started on, so we really don't know what it's going to use in terms of gimmicks. We don't even know for sure whether they'll keep the god-powers in.

Without a mic?! I LOVE having a mic there. Everyone has a mic for multiplayer games and I don't have to use some external headset or something.

About Tearaway, though, I'd say at least wait to decide your feelings about it until we get a new preview of it. Everything we know about the game was during pre-production. The game had not been started on, so we really don't know what it's going to use in terms of gimmicks. We don't even know for sure whether they'll keep the god-powers in.

Go back and look at the unveiling vid. Every shot is of some gimmicky way to manipulate the world: camera, backtouch, mic, gyro, front touch. :(

Stop ignoring the fact that that vid is PREPRODUCTION

Seriously it's like you want to hate it

So if I'm not allowed to dislike what i've seen because it is a trailer, why are others allowed to like what they've seen?

Y'all are so damn dramatic. Smh as if MM won't give alternative button solutions for the shouting thing. Etc

Will the be button solutions for the backtouch, gyro, and camera functions as well? :)

They felt confident enough in the contents of the video to release and promote it. This is a discussion forum, not an echo chamber. It's not being dramatic to express my dislike for gimmicky controls.

VanWinkle

So if I'm not allowed to dislike what i've seen because it is a trailer, why are others allowed to like what they've seen?

Will the be button solutions for the backtouch, gyro, and camera functions as well? :)

It's not that you aren't allowed to dislike what you've seen; only that what we've seen isn't necessarily an indication of how the actual game will be and we need to wait for a new reveal before we should judge it. I think what most people have stated they like is the awesome art style, graphics, and adventure aspect. As for the gimmicks, let's wait and see.

Kyon

Banned

They felt confident enough in the contents of the video to release and promote it. This is a discussion forum, not an echo chamber. It's not being dramatic to express my dislike for gimmicky controls.

I never said you can't talk about it .... And echo chamber? I c you were inspired by EviLore's sticky. ;)

Derrick01

Banned
Y'all are so damn dramatic. Smh as if MM won't give alternative button solutions for the shouting thing. Etc

I have doubts about that if only because most Vita games that use the gimmicks don't have button alternatives. You are forced to use that horrible crap usually.

zroid

Banned
Nothing about the Tearaway trailer indicates to me the input gimmicks will not be incorporated in a committed, smart way.

The game seems to have a slow, problem-solving nature which lends itself well to a wide variety of input mechanisms. Gimmicks detract from a game when they stop the gameplay you want for something you don't (eg: UGA), or when they force you to awkwardly change inputs like in a platformer that requires you to often move your fingers from the buttons to the centre of the touchscreen and back (eg: LBP, MBA).

Tearaway seems to focus more on the gimmicks themselves, which can be a good thing, if the level design is good. With Mm at the helm, I'm confident it will be.

VanWinkle

Nothing about the Tearaway trailer indicates to me the input gimmicks will not be incorporated in a committed, smart way.

The game seems to have a slow, problem-solving nature which lends itself well to a wide variety of input mechanisms. Gimmicks detract from a game when they stop the gameplay you want for something you don't (eg: UGA), or when they force you to awkwardly change inputs like in a platformer that requires you to often move your fingers from the buttons to the centre of the touchscreen and back (eg: LBP, MBA).

Tearaway seems to focus more on the gimmicks themselves, which can be a good thing, if the level design is good. With Mm at the helm, I'm confident it will be.

Some people will hate anything that is not button control. That's just how it is. I'd hate to be like that, but little to nothing will change their opinion, even if the alternate controls are done in a cool and pleasing way.

Derrick01

Banned
Some people will hate anything that is not button control. That's just how it is. I'd hate to be like that, but little to nothing will change their opinion, even if the alternate controls are done in a cool and pleasing way.

I'm only like that because nothing that has been presented as an alternative has come close to buttons, or mouse and keyboard for PC gamers. I don't appreciate regression whether it's in a control form or gameplay form. We shouldn't applaud or encourage it.

VanWinkle

I'm only like that because nothing that has been presented as an alternative has come close to buttons, or mouse and keyboard for PC gamers. I don't appreciate regression whether it's in a control form or gameplay form. We shouldn't applaud or encourage it.

Well there was someone in here a couple of days ago that wouldn't play Jetpack Joyride because it only allowed front touch or rear touch, even though there's no reason whatsoever that a button press would be better than a rear touch tap for that game. Then there's gyro, which is more accurate than analog sticks (and perfect in combination). These have their purposes, but some people won't accept any of it.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm interested in 10 of the games on that list, so I think I'm good, and there will be more announcements of new games throughout the year.

I love my Vita, but I haven't played it much over the course of my 2 week vacation. I've mostly been spending time with my wife and catching up on all the TV shows I missed throughout the year.

I'm debating whether or not I want to get Stranger's Wrath or Knytt Underground. Both look interesting to me for different reasons, but I don't know which one is worth picking up right now. Honestly, I'm kind of hoping one becomes a PS+ freebie at some point. Lol.

EDIT: I also seem to be the only person that enjoyed the touch mechanics in Uncharted: GA. I liked doing the charcoal rubbing, and the gyro + analog aiming felt fantastic once I got used to it, and I liked snapping photos, but then, I love being able to take pictures in video games in general, and wished more games would let me carry around a camera and snap stuff. On a pseudo related note, I'd love to have an HD Dark Cloud collection on the Vita. I never beat part 2, and I've been playing it every once in a while on my BC PS3. Love it, but would love to have more Level 5 goodness on the Vita. A sequel to White Knight Chronicles on the Vita would be welcome too (another game I seem to be one of the only fans of here on GAF).

Derrick01

Banned
Well there was someone in here a couple of days ago that wouldn't play Jetpack Joyride because it only allowed front touch or rear touch, even though there's no reason whatsoever that a button press would be better than a rear touch tap for that game. Then there's gyro, which is more accurate than analog sticks (and perfect in combination). These have their purposes, but some people won't accept any of it.

I disagree about gyro. It was far easier and faster to just use the right stick in Uncharted then trying to line a headshot up with that.

And a button press is always better than anything using the back touch pad. I have no idea what type of game jetpack joyride even is, all I do know is that the rear touch pad is the worst gaming invention of all time. Horrendous idea from Sony.

VanWinkle

I disagree about gyro. It was far easier and faster to just use the right stick in Uncharted then trying to line a headshot up with that.

And a button press is always better than anything using the back touch pad. I have no idea what type of game jetpack joyride even is, all I do know is that the rear touch pad is the worst gaming invention of all time. Horrendous idea from Sony.

You are in the minority on that gyro comment. It's easy to realize that it's more accurate in movement, whether you like using it ore not. On Jetpack Joyride, the only controls are either to tap, or to hold. Can you explain to me why tapping and holding a button is better than tapping and holding anywhere on the rear touchpad when that is the only control?

Derrick01

Banned
You, sir, are utterly mad

I'm not. It was another pointless gimmick and when I tried to use it I would get peppered with bullets, and when you're playing Uncharted on hard you don't get the chance to sit there for 2 minutes trying to line up a headshot with an inferior mechanic.

zroid

Banned
Can you explain to me why tapping and holding a button is better than tapping and holding anywhere on the rear touchpad when that is the only control?

I can answer that, although it's not really a huge deal (to me). It's the same reason the iOS version of Super Hexagon irritates me.

Touchscreens/pads (capacitive especially), are not pressure sensitive, so there's zero accommodation for accidentally touching the screen. It's much easier to keep your finger in contact with a button and then apply force to trigger it, versus hovering your finger above a surface and lowering it only when needed.

I'm not. It was another pointless gimmick and when I tried to use it I would get peppered with bullets, and when you're playing Uncharted on hard you don't get the chance to sit there for 2 minutes trying to line up a headshot with an inferior mechanic.

I believe that you believe this is true

The Uncharted one worked fine here as well. I had to put an nightstick LED flashlight up against the Vita for ACL to register it though.

And I had to put ACL down for a few weeks because for whatever reason, I couldn't open up a letter with front&back touch.

Super misguided game that tries to hit too many checkmarks and ends up fumbling more than half of them.

You DO NOT actually have to hold the Vita toward a lighting source, during AC3:L. I inadvertently discovered you can keep the vita in your lap and just tilt. Works perfectly, registers as if you held it toward the light.

The game is boss otherwise, really enjoy it.

Carl

Which is exactly why gyro is better ;)

On the subject of touch, regardless of your opinions it is proven that touch is a very natural interface. Sure it don't work for everything but it does for lots too.

Anecdotally my little brother and sister (10/14) still have issues using a Xbox controller, let alone a kb+m. No issues at all on their iPod touch.

Face it guys touch IS a natural progression in human-computer interface. Just as motion (like minority report) will be next.

You're not supposed to be using one or the other. You're supposed to use both. First use the stick then do a quick millimetre fine tune with the gyro. No 2 minutes, no great movements. It's so fast and effective I wish it was used in the PS3. It's a complement to the stick when it starts to loose accuracy doing fine movements.

Carl

But that's what happens when you use gyro. Once I got used to the analog sticks since Uncharted was my first Vita game I was taking guys out no problem. Gyro's just a waste of time.

No, that's what happens when you use purely analogue or purely gyro. Using both together is much quicker than using analogue sticks on a console.

Derrick01

Banned
On the subject of touch, regardless of your opinions it is proven that touch is a very natural interface. Sure it don't work for everything but it does for lots too.

Anecdotally my little brother and sister (10/14) still have issues using a Xbox controller, let alone a kb+m. No issues at all on their iPod touch.

Face it guys touch IS a natural progression in human-computer interface. Just as motion (like minority report) will be next.

Yeah and they're playing incredibly simple stuff on their ipods because the touch interface can't handle most modern types of games. It's a massive regression.

When Sony does a new Vita revision they need to ax every gimmick on that thing except maybe the normal front touch screen. No rear pad, no gyro/motion, no mic. They clearly put all of these things on in some sort of cynical move to make it attractive to smartphone casuals but since it clearly didn't work they need to ditch it and make it a gamer's machine. That's basically what it is already, so make games that properly appeal to those people.

zroid

Banned
I'm not really convinced gyro aiming would jibe with a traditional two-handed gamepad; the screen is a BIG part of why it works so well and naturally in games like UGA, OoT3D, etc.

EDF has me tempted now...DAMN THE HYPE, ya'll better be willin to co-op!

And to be perfectly honest I think a lot of the hype that is involved with Tearaway has to do with it being a great "looking" and original IP for the fledgling Vita. Don't get me wrong it DOES look incredible and the art style / premise is without a doubt unique but...I haven't seen that many different "gimmicks" since Little Deviants.

Brilliant assessment ^

Carl

Yeah and they're playing incredibly simple stuff on their ipods because the touch interface can't handle most modern types of games. It's a massive regression.

When Sony does a new Vita revision they need to ax every gimmick on that thing except maybe the normal front touch screen. No rear pad, no gyro/motion, no mic. They clearly put all of these things on in some sort of cynical move to make it attractive to smartphone casuals but since it clearly didn't work they need to ditch it and make it a gamer's machine. That's basically what it is already, so make games that properly appeal to those people.

uhh no that's exactly what they don't need to do.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Derrick just sucks with gyro. It's his personal problem, not that of the majority that played the game.

No point arguing here.

Would you call journey a massive regression? Walking dead?

Games don't have to be super complicated. They are about fun. Wether that be story, deep gameplay, throwaway fun or anything else.

Stop being so closed minded

BosSin

But that's what happens when you use gyro. Once I got used to the analog sticks since Uncharted was my first Vita game I was taking guys out no problem. Gyro's just a waste of time.
I would disagree, The analogue sticks work well for aiming in a general direction, but the gyro provides players with an almost mouse-like accuracy in small areas. It's a nice way to play shooters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom