• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huddy

Would you call journey a massive regression? Walking dead?

Games don't have to be super complicated. They are about fun. Wether that be story, deep gameplay, throwaway fun or anything else.

Stop being so closed minded

Clemintine!!!!!!

;_;

Analogs for me also just didn't feel the gyro. :)

Derrick01

Banned
Would you call journey a massive regression? Walking dead?

Games don't have to be super complicated. They are about fun. Wether that be story, deep gameplay, throwaway fun or anything else.

Stop being so closed minded

In gameplay? They absolutely are. But at least you can control them with a legit control scheme.

There's nothing close minded about refusing to embrace regression. This gen had enough problems with gameplay regression and now we've got controls too in the last few years. Pretty soon we'll be focusing on regressing graphics and sound too.

In gameplay? They absolutely are. But at least you can control them with a legit control scheme.

There's nothing close minded about refusing to embrace regression.

You know can play walking dead with touch right? After all all you do is point and click.

Anyway I'm going to stop talking to you now. FYI ignore toto and derricks opinions (generally)

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Despite my hatred of JRPG's, cut scenes, storylines, and dialog I picked up Persona 4 - and somehow, I'm really enjoying it. Chie is hilarious, and there's just enough tongue in cheek nature to the story to keep me involved. Only a few hours in but I can tell it's gonna be fun.

Oh, and Hay Day has made me an iOS game believer - in my opinion most genres on touch platforms fall flat (Rayman Jungle Run was a glorious exception to this) but good lord, this one has sucked me in for real. Shallow as a puddle but like crack. The fact is, a lot of kids are growing up today with touch as the main interface for their games. They don't care.

Stop acting like a little child.
To be fair you can come off pretty childish your self as your points tend to be "I don't like it there for its out right a terrible for anyone in the world"

- Stick and gyro give you very precise and fast aiming
- back touch is great for things like jet pack joyride, sunflowers and web page scrolling. Not to mention map editors for lbp and sound shapes.
- built in mic is great for online gaming.

I'm sorry you don't like, get or want any of these features but you seem determined to pretend most the world isn't fine with these things (especially the younger generation)

Also there are all genres available on touch screen devices as well. To brush them off as all simple games is just ignorance. Again, I know you think touch controls suck but there are plenty of people out there playing these games and are fine with it.

If sony brought out a hand held with no touch screens, gyro or mic they would be bombing even harder as the world drives off without them.

This conversation is getting ugly.

Let's take a moment to refocus.

2246241-vita-review-us8175_super.jpg

There. Now don't we all feel better now?

Derrick01

Banned
To be fair you can come off pretty childish your self as your points tend to be "I don't like it there for its out right a terrible for anyone in the world"

- Stick and gyro give you very precise and fast aiming
- back touch is great for things like jet pack joyride, sunflowers and web page scrolling. Not to mention map editors for lbp and sound shapes.
- built in mic is great for online gaming.

I'm sorry you don't like, get or want any of these features but you seem determined to pretend most the world isn't fine with these things (especially the younger generation)

Also there are all genres available on touch screen devices as well. To brush them off as all simple games is just ignorance. Again, I know you think touch controls suck but there are plenty of people out there playing these games and are fine with it.

If sony brought out a hand held with no touch screens, gyro or mic they would be bombing even harder as the world drives off without them.

I don't think touch controls suck for most everything, they do. You factually cannot control most genres nearly as well as buttons+sticks. Just because kids like it doesn't mean shit. Kids like what they're told to like, it's just too bad responsible adults in business aren't telling them to like the right stuff. It's resulting in a huge slide in quality in this industry.

edit: Yeah this did get out of hand a bit. I apologize for contributing to it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hey guys, stop it.

You know what I want? ninokuni vita.

I hope Y2Kev sticks up for this thread.

You guys are allowed to have the thread to discuss the topic, of course. I don't think anyone should be posting new news here. Performance was good over the holidays, with new threads created for relevant deals and relevant releases. If it gets to the point where people are dumping stuff in here (and worse, becoming actively hostile when someone posts about it outsides the thread), then we will reconsider.

Ollie Pooch

I don't think touch controls suck for most everything, they do. You factually cannot control most genres nearly as well as buttons+sticks. Just because kids like it doesn't mean shit. Kids like what they're told to like, it's just too bad responsible adults in business aren't telling them to like the right stuff. It's resulting in a huge slide in quality in this industry.
I do wish there was a push back towards 'traditional' handheld games due to the control issues for the majority of touch games, but I just don't see it happening.

Shahed

I generally agree with Derrick to a point. I absolutely detest unnecessary front and rear touch stuff. It's even worse when they include trash like using a camera to detect a light. That only serves a purpose in pissing the player off. I've already decided after two games I'm not gonna play any other that includes pathetic shite like that, no matter how good the rest of the game is supposed to be. I've got enough games to play without wasting time on devs that actively want to frustrate me. I'm dreading what will happen with microphones. It's already tarnished one of my favourite gaming series in Zelda on DS

But I do disagree on the gyro though. I would never use it on it's own, but using it in conjunction with the analog offers the best form of aiming. The Vita's sticks are pretty bad and make it hard to fine tune your aim. Gyro works perfectly there. Using both at the same time was awesome in Uncharted and Gravity Rush.

Ollie Pooch

Gyro was awesome in Uncharted, and I could deal with the artifact rubbing - but the 'aim it up to a light' thing was so fucking stupid I couldn't believe it. There was a similar thing in a DS game where you had to shout into the microphone. Just gimmicky pointless shit. Eugh.

Shahed

Will never happen though, haha

If either were to get ported to the Vita it would be the DS one

Wouldn't that be harder if anything? I never played the DS game, but apparantly it required the Wizard's Book to actually finish, never mind they'd have to redesign any and all dual screen mapping.

Porting the PS3 version is just simple downscaling, and Sony have made it easy to do if Team Ninja are anything to go by

zroid

Banned
Wouldn't that be harder if anything? I never played the DS game, but apparantly it required the Wizard's Book to actually finish, never mind they'd have to redesign any and all dual screen mapping.

Porting the PS3 version is just simple downscaling, and apparantly Sony have made it easy to do if Team Ninja are anything to go by

Sticking a digital version of the book in there shouldn't be difficult. It's not about ease though, the PS3 game bombed hard, and they wouldn't port a JRPG to a handheld just because of (possible) Western success.

People aren't going to buy a downgraded version of a game nobody bought in the first place. An upgraded version of a game with moderate but disappointing sales might do okay.

Anyway this is totally academic; neither is likely to occur.

Just got the platinum in Gravity Rush. Pretty straightforward for the most part, but one specific challenge and the stupid loading times really pissed me off. To the point where I would rather not buy the DLC for now and maybe come back to the game some time in the future.

Shahed

Just got the platinum in Gravity Rush. Pretty straightforward for the most part, but one specific challenge and the stupid loading times really pissed me off. To the point where I would rather not buy the DLC for now and maybe come back to the game some time in the future.

Which challenge?

X-Factor

I did not like the touch swiping for the melee quick time events, or the gyro. Not giving an option for buttons and analog is never a good idea.

Gyro was awesome in Uncharted, and I could deal with the artifact rubbing - but the 'aim it up to a light' thing was so fucking stupid I couldn't believe it. There was a similar thing in a DS game where you had to shout into the microphone. Just gimmicky pointless shit. Eugh.

Shahed

The one where you had to pick up items and throw them into a specified area to score points. Such an awkward game mechanic. I never used it during the rest of the game.

Last area surrounded by building's and with loads of boxes and vases? Last mission I did and was really frustrating

That is until I learned you could hold circle and expand your stasis field to be able to pick up 5 items at once. Lots of other people had the same problem. They really should have informed the player of that

I would like to know this as well.

By the way, I just started playing The Sly Trilogy for the first time and then hopefully I can get Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time for PS Vita.

I don't know, every single piece of media I've seen for TIT looks amazingly mediocre. Hell the latest preview in GI, one of the screenshots had the characters feet disappearing into the floor!

Hey guys, stop it.

You know what I want? ninokuni vita.

You guys are allowed to have the thread to discuss the topic, of course. I don't think anyone should be posting new news here. Performance was good over the holidays, with new threads created for relevant deals and relevant releases. If it gets to the point where people are dumping stuff in here (and worse, becoming actively hostile when someone posts about it outsides the thread), then we will reconsider.

Seeing your avatar makes me miss the Junpei days =/

Last area surrounded by building's and with loads of boxes and vases? Last mission I did and was really frustrating

That is until I learned you could hold circle and expand your stasis field to be able to pick up 5 items at once. Lots of other people had the same problem. They really should have informed the player of that
That...would have been nice to know, yeah. Oh, well. I somehow did it anyway.

personally I would much rather see level 5 use their resources on dark cloud vita :p

Yet another game I don't get the praise for. The original Dark Cloud was so repetitive and boring. Not sure if the sequel was any better, but after the original, I couldn't bring myself to play it.

All I wanted was another Actraiser.
I didn't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom