• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February WrassleGAF |BO-T| And Bo-ing is Half the Battle

Laserfrog

There's a new wrestling book out.
16-bktitle-belt.gif

http://www.crowbarpress.com/cbp-books/16-rd.html

The STRAP: A Complete History of Sam Muchnick's Missouri State Championship

The definition of a biography is "the account of someone's life written by someone else." This book isn't about "someone's" life, but author Roger Deem does bring life to the story of the Missouri championship belt, the "crème de la crème" of professional wrestling's title belts, second only to the world heavyweight title. Deem covers everything about the title, from the creation of the belt in 1972 to its demise with the death of the St. Louis Wrestling Club in 1987.

Held by legendary superstars like Harley Race, Terry Funk, Ric Flair, Jack Brisco, Ted DiBiase, Bob Backlund, Dick Murdoch, Kerry Von Erich, David Von Erich, and many others, the Missouri title was what every wrestler who appeared in St. Louis hoped to win, and each titleholder has been given a section of their own.

But this book isn't only about the title. It's a look at the history of the St. Louis wrestling promotion itself during the time the title was in use; the genius of promoter Sam Muchnick; the behind-the-scenes manipulations that determined who would be given the opportunity to hold the title, or have it taken away; and the problems that beset the promotion both from within and without.

Several of the wrestlers who held or wrestled for the title — Kevin Von Erich, Ted DiBiase, Jerry Brisco, Bob Backlund, Ric Flair, Dory Funk Jr., Terry Funk, Harley Race, and Ken Patera — as well as others close to the promotion, weigh in on the subject by sharing their memories of the times, and, in many respects, the most important contribution to the story come from Larry Matysik, someone who never wrestled, but was a key figure in the offices of the St. Louis Wrestling Club.

Also included are: listings and descriptions of every match wrestled when the Missouri title was at stake, the television matches in which the champion wrestled on the famous "Wrestling at the Chase" television program, reprints of the "Wrestling" arena program covers, and over 150 photos and images of the wrestlers and the events that took place during that time.

Deem attacks the subject from the viewpoint of a fan who was on the outside of the wrestling business looking in and a photographer on the fringe who made friends with many of the personalities who graced the wrestling ring in both Kiel Auditorium and the St. Louis Arena.

Relive the memories of the days when St. Louis was the wrestling capital of the world and the Missouri heavyweight title was the goal of every wrestler.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Not available at amazon, but there are many other books titled "The Strap" which may give me a boner if I read.

I saw that - might give it a go when I order Thesz's book. I know jack squat about St. Louis wrestling.

In other news, check out the CHIKARA Season 11 Epilogue;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djqqgSEoW9U

R.D. Evans is so awesome.

Also, CHIKARA spin-off 'Wrestling Is...' have launched a pay-per-month streaming website;

http://shop.wrestlingis.com/

For $7.99 each month you get a bunch of CHIKARA, Kaiju Big Battel & Wresting Is... shows, as well as previously-unseen CHIKARA videos.

This month's content is;

CHIKARA;

May 25, 2002 (The Renaissance Dawns)
October 18, 2003 (The International Invasion of International Invaders)
Tag World Grand Prix 2005 - Night 1
King of Trios 2007 - Night 1
King of Trios 2009 - Night 1
February 27, 2010 (The Mint Condition)
January 23, 2011 (Chaos in the Sea of Lost Souls)

Kaiju Big Battell;

First Fight Out (2003)
Tinseltown Showdown (2004)

Wrestling is...;

Wrestling is Fun! Complete 11.18.11 Event

Exclusive CHIKARA videos;

6-Man Tag: Hallowicked/The Wild Cards vs Mike Quackenbush/Shane Storm/Icarus (2003)
CHIKARA Roster Rundown (2007)
CHIKARA Screener #1 (2011)

Laserfrog

I saw that - might give it a go when I order Thesz's book. I know jack squat about St. Louis wrestling.

St. Louis is where Lou got his start, I think that's where he ran his own promotion too.

I only put my dreamcast away a few months ago I knew it was a mistake.

I think I'm going to get my dreamcast out.

I wish my Dreamcast still worked...the laser died. Which was the cause of death of the previous 3 DC's I owned. Such weak build quality for such an awesome console. Really wish I could play some Garou right about now :(

Also, Blue Stinger! Super underrated game. And Under Defeat, best shooter on the system. Thankfully it got a HD re-release a few months back.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wish my Dreamcast still worked...the laser died. Which was the cause of death of the previous 3 DC's I owned. Such weak build quality for such an awesome console. Really wish I could play some Garou right about now :(

Also, Blue Stinger! Super underrated game. And Under Defeat, best shooter on the system. Thankfully it got a HD re-release a few months back.

Garou is what XBLA is for brah. My launch unit still runs great, lucky me. :)

I don't know what the hell you mean by Blue Stinger being super underrated. It was bad, but had Sega style. I guess it still deserves a lot of shit...but not as much as it gets.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My work blocks wwe.com. Any chance someone could give a quick summary?

"Is Paul Heyman making another Dangerous Alliance?" basically since they say it, it can't happen.

KissVibes

Banned
OfficialWrestlezine.com is reporting that officials are big on Mason Ryan right now and are hoping to have him either in the World Title hunt or facing Ryback in a Monster vs Monster feud as one of the big angles this Summer. The plan is to have a battle of the "Super" men near the end of the year with Ryback, Ryan, Henry, Big Show, and possibly other big guys fighting over the World Heavyweight Title.

Garou is what XBLA is for brah. My launch unit still runs great, lucky me. :)

I don't know what the hell you mean by Blue Stinger being super underrated. It was bad, but had Sega style. I guess it still deserves a lot of shit...but not as much as it gets.

It's underrated because everyone seems to dislike it except me, lol. It may be nostalgia talking, but I got a lot of fun from Blue Stinger - it was the game I turned to once the 'wow' factor had worn off of Sonic Adventure & Soul Calibur.

As for Garou, fuckers won't release it on PSN :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's underrated because everyone seems to dislike it except me, lol. It may be nostalgia talking, but I got a lot of fun from Blue Stinger - it was the game I turned to once the 'wow' factor had worn off of Sonic Adventure & Soul Calibur.

As for Garou, fuckers won't release it on PSN :(

You gotta go multiplat man. And Blue Stinger's thrills on launch (which I was fortunate enough to be in the midst of, I love my DC most of all systems, the best) couldn't match SC's and House of the Dead 2's. Man, I was one happy ass guy.

I remember the day Shenmue released. I planned ahead and bought food and holed up, ready to be a part of this amazing experience. And it WAS!

Kaladin

Full Impact Pro is back tonight....

fipEB-ippv.jpg

For The Vacant FIP World Championship
Jon Davis vs. AR Fox

FIP World Tag Team Championship Match
The Scene of Caleb Konley & Scott Reed w/ Mister Saint Laurent & Brittney Savage defend against Dos Ben Dejos of Eddie Cruz & Jay Rios

FIP Florida Heritage Championship Match
Uhaa Nation defends against Chasyn Rance w/ MSL

Tommy Taylor vs. Johnny Vandal

Corey Hollis vs. Mike Cruz v. John Skylar

Francisco Ciatso vs. Derek Ryze

Mikaze vs. Maxwell Chicago

Looks like Gabe is using FIP similar to how he used it when it was Ring of Honor's developmental promotion. It's basically a local FL promotion with some Evolve talent mixed in and he'll probably move some standouts up to the ranks of Evolve like he did with Erick Stevens and Kenny King in Ring of Honor.

I fully expect Jon Davis to take the FIP title.

jred2k

You gotta go multiplat man. And Blue Stinger's thrills on launch (which I was fortunate enough to be in the midst of, I love my DC most of all systems, the best) couldn't match SC's and House of the Dead 2's. Man, I was one happy ass guy.

I remember the day Shenmue released. I planned ahead and bought food and holed up, ready to be a part of this amazing experience. And it WAS!

0df2a95cd896d7e839c792dc3bab896a.jpg

I need to start my own wrestling news site, that's where the big bucks are.

I dunno...it sounds like a lot of work. I mean, you have to spend practically all week making up Hot Scoopz™ for the front page, recording podcasts where you disinterestedly complain about the weeks Wrasslin' programming and then you probably need to do the same for MMA to even keep people coming to the site. I don't know how Dave does it.

Mr. Sandman said:
I fully expect Jon Davis to take the FIP title.

Yeah, they need to start making Davis look strong after suffering loss after loss to Gargano. Also, Uhaa's back? Awesome.

Sunflower said:
You gotta go multiplat man.

I did, but too many RROD'ed 360's made me abandon Microsoft for Sony. Now I only have a JP 360 for bullet hell shmups. Ah well, I can still load up Garou on MAME, I guess.

Laserfrog

I dunno...it sounds like a lot of work. I mean, you have to spend practically all week making up Hot Scoopz™ for the front page, recording podcasts where you disinterestedly complain about the weeks Wrasslin' programming and then you probably need to do the same for MMA to even keep people coming to the site. I don't know how Dave does it.

Hmm you're right, I'd have to actually watch Raw and stuff I dunno if I could deal with that. I could make vague statements like I watched it though, nobody would be able to tell the difference!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I did, but too many RROD'ed 360's made me abandon Microsoft for Sony. Now I only have a JP 360 for bullet hell shmups. Ah well, I can still load up Garou on MAME, I guess.

*withdraws his friend request for B0T444AY*

Kaladin

Yeah, they need to start making Davis look strong after suffering loss after loss to Gargano. Also, Uhaa's back? Awesome.

Plus Davis was a part of the original FIP in the Dark City Fight Club tag team, AR Fox wasn't in FIP till the Jeff Peterson Memorial Cup 2010.

jred2k

Hmm you're right, I'd have to actually watch Raw and stuff I dunno if I could deal with that. I could make vague statements like I watched it though, nobody would be able to tell the difference!

For the podcast you could just read posts from this thread in a bunch of different voices. Make sure to introduce all the voice as Jay in Philly, Steve in New York, etc. to give that live radio feel.

thefro

Lords of Paste just copies and pastes stuff from the Observer and finds ways to add tons of pop-up ads.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
For the podcast you could just read posts from this thread in a bunch of different voices. Make sure to introduce all the voice as Jay in Philly, Steve in New York, etc. to give that live radio feel.

I once toyed with the concept of a gaming reviews site that never touched a single game, but went on popular opinion...though I think that pretty much already exists.

I really like reviewers who give me unique insights and views into games. There's not many out there that challenge what a review is, especially considering people are just looking to validate their opinions. If I was worth half a damn as a reviewer I'd like to be one of those people, but I just can't give insight worth listening to. I'm not articulate enough.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Can we do a wrestling podcast? Or a wrestling GAF site?

It prolly wouldn't last a week but it still be fun to try!

I honestly think if we wanted to, we could start a VERY good pro wrasslin' wiki.

Basically log all matches for all shows ever, offer the option to do writeups of particular shows, let members add to these along with youtube/dailymotion/etc links to the matches in question.

Pretty much to the point where if you want to see the results, opinions, and video of a match from WCCW in 1987, you could see the results and opinions and any existing footage.

Basically think of it like strobogo's WCW reviews, but split up and easy to search.

I just have to go to the Doc for a follow up. It just sucks.
I always assume the worst. Hoping I can laugh about it later.

Don't worry man. Even if it is the worst, we're here for you. Seriously.

I honestly think if we wanted to, we could start a VERY good pro wrasslin' wiki.

Basically log all matches for all shows ever, offer the option to do writeups of particular shows, let members add to these along with youtube/dailymotion/etc links to the matches in question.

Pretty much to the point where if you want to see the results, opinions, and video of a match from WCCW in 1987, you could see the results and opinions and any existing footage.

Basically think of it like strobogo's WCW reviews, but split up and easy to search.

Logging all matches for all shows ever would be so damn hard. There is no way I can do that.

However, what I always wanted to do is have us all review a show. Say SummerSlam 98. Give our thoughts on matches, build up, what was right/wrong, etc.

A personal goal of mine is just to gif everything. For example, you pick an episode of Raw from March in 1996. What you have is the show in gifs. Just the cool spots and a gif showing who won. Have a nice resource for all of that. Look at that Rhyno gif that has been posted recently. There are tons of great moments like that just waiting to be discovered via a gif.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Logging all matches for all shows ever would be so damn hard. There is no way I can do that.

However, what I always wanted to do is have us all review a show. Say SummerSlam 98. Give our thoughts on matches, build up, what was right/wrong, etc.

A personal goal of mine is just to gif everything. For example, you pick an episode of Raw from March in 1996. What you have is the show in gifs. Just the cool spots and a gif showing who won. Have a nice resource for all of that. Look at that Rhyno gif that has been posted recently. There are tons of great moments like that just waiting to be discovered via a gif.

Crowdsourced brah. Wrestling fans are some of the most devoted of all time - being able to look up Ted DiBiase Sr and look at a chronology of all of his matches, video where video is available, maintained by the userbase...yep.

strobogo

Banned
I think it wouldn't be quite as hard as you'd think. A site like History of WWE has results for pretty much every show for 30 years. It'd take some time, but using that and adding wouldn't be super hard. We should do this. Wrasslepedia.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wrasslepedia...I like it...

FE should I buy the domain? It's open.

Top Bottom