• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Sonic Generations 3DS

Boogiepop

To start, a link to my other Sonic R/LTTPs:
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic Heroes
Sonic 06
Sonic and the Black Knight
Sonic the Hedgehog Game Gear
Sonic 2 Game Gear
Sonic Chaos
Sonic Blast
Sonic Labyrinth
Tails Adventure
Tails' Sky Patrol
Sonic Spinball Game Gear
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic Spinball Genesis
Sonic CD
Sonic Unleashed Wii
Sonic Colors DS

So, this game was damn short. I beat it in about an hour and 50 minutes. It's... okay. The switching between multiple planes as Modern Sonic is kind of neat at times, they did a surprisingly good job recreating Classic Sonic physics, and the final boss is far less annoying. On the other hand, the Classic Sonic level designs kind of fell apart once they give him homing attack (it also kind of homogenizes them a bit too much, making the boost into seemingly the only difference), Emerald Coast is just bland as hell for both Sonics, and the boss "battles" that are races against the rivals in already visited zones are just super, super lame (and why the hell am I fighting Silver in Tropical Resort? Couldn't they have at least made it Blaze or something.)

Most of all, though, it just really, really shows how rushed the game was. Maybe if they took the time to tighten up the levels after the Genesis portion and added red rings instead of just missions, they might've had a fun little game. As is, it's just kind of... bland.

I guess at least they managed to make the Heroes' Special Stage playable, though, so that's something at least.

I liked this version better than the console versions because the console modern stages were janky. Console version had better side objectives though I feel.

Regiruler

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Best handheld Sonic ever together with Rush. I loved it. Yeah, it's short and most bosses are meh, but at least both Classic and Modern stages were good.

Regiruler

I forgot to mention that Radical Highway was probably the worst sonic level I've ever played in a game not called Sonic Adventure. It doesn't mean I don't have fond feelings for the game as a whole, but some stages outright sucked.

Boogiepop

Op, any plans to play Sonic Chronicles?

I actually played it a while back and... yeah. I commented on it here if you're curious, but I don't think I'll be going back to it. The battle system was neat at times, but everything else was just terrible. And even the battle balance goes completely to hell once it becomes all about fighting aliens that require specific methods of attack to hurt. Yuck.

Really? I felt it was much better than the console versions, it was sorta bland but the console Generations was still a bad sonic game but both are much better than all Sonic games since SA1 (except Sonic 4, though apparently I'm a minority) But I still play the crap out of Generations 3DS, play it more than NSMB2, and have a lot of fun with it, the missions have extended its life far beyond the basic levels.

Blueblur1

The game really is bland. But it does have the best 2D Sonic physics in any Sonic game since the Genesis originals. I still put it into my 3DS here and there to play the 2D Sonic stages. It's a shame that the bosses and later stages aren't very fun to play.

Regiruler

Oh so something like the soundtrack version?

I believe so.
EDIT:The biolizard theme was also pretty good.
Really? I felt it was much better than the console versions, it was sorta bland but the console Generations was still a bad sonic game but both are much better than all Sonic games since SA1 (except Sonic 4, though apparently I'm a minority) But I still play the crap out of Generations 3DS, play it more than NSMB2, and have a lot of fun with it, the missions have extended its life far beyond the basic levels.

Yeah, I think overall your opinions are in the minority.

mandiller

The 3DS version's classic stages were fantastic. Oh how I long for a Sonic game entirely made up of those stages. It looks great with the 3DS's 3D effect too.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Since ppl bumping old threads, somebody tell him to play Sonic Advance 3. Massively underrated sonic game and probably one of the best modern sonic games

Top Bottom