• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Smith Helming Spawn Spin-off TV Show for BBC America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
Today in Kevin Smith news...

Kevin Smith will develop Sam & Twitch, a police procedural set in the world of Todd McFarlane's Spawn comics, for BBC America, Deadline reports.

The series, which enjoyed a critically-acclaimed run by Jessica Jones creator Brian Michael Bendis early in his career, is the latest in a series of high-profile adaptations for the network.

”[Smith] is attached to write, direct and executive producer a series based on the Sam And Twitch comic book series for us," BBC America president and general manager Sarah Barnett said. ”They were originally introduced in Spawn, and it's Todd McFarlane's comic book series about these big-city homicide detectives who face a series of super grisly crimes that are connected to the occult. It's kind of frightening and sort of gallows humor. It's, again, procedural, but in a very modern, contemporary way. So each episode is closed ended, although there are certain character-serialized aspects to the storytelling."

Source: Deadline and Comicbook.com

I really liked Sam and Twitch when Bendis was writing it, back before he moved to marvel. One of the better Spawn books.

Rootbeer

Banned
Wait, Bendis worked on Sam & Twitch, or Spawn? Either way, never knew that. Crazy.

EDIT: Duh, you answered my question.

Sure did!

Some really great stylized art by medina and ashley wood.

I have some signed issues they sent me, they used to run contests on the spawn.com message board way back when.

JUN990716._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Snaku

Banned
Came in expecting Redeemer, Angela, Tales of Spawn, or Cogliostro

But Sam and Twitch? Nah, I am good

This. How come every single new Spawn tv or movie idea that's been pitched over the last two decades has always been something that nobody wants? Why can't they just give us a legit Spawn adaptation like the HBO series?

I like the idea of Spawn through the eyes of Sam and Twitch. Looking forward to it as Spawn is my favorite fictional character.

Rootbeer

Banned
I like the idea of Spawn through the eyes of Sam and Twitch. Looking forward to it as Spawn is my favorite fictional character.
You don't say... avatarquote.jpg

The Sam & Twitch series is heavily inspired by things like David Fincher's Seven... there's been a lot of stuff that aped that film over the years though so who knows if it will resonate.

Oh, and True Detective (mostly season 1) reminds me very much of what a Sam & Twitch show would have been like. Only S&T has real supernatural stuff in it.

I dunno. Feel like the odds are kinda stacked against this show to turn out well. But here's hoping.

Looking forward to this. Although nothing will top the HBO animated series for me. So lucky I found it for $20 back in the day at Slackers.

Slayven

This. How come every single new Spawn tv or movie idea that's been pitched over the last two decades has always been something that nobody wants? Why can't they just give us a legit Spawn adaptation like the HBO series?

Medieval Spawn would be glorious

Sam and Twitch, huh? Talk about a throwback. I'm a tiny bit ashamed to admit it but I wouldn't mind a Spawn resurgence. Some of that shit was fun back in the day. Loved the HBO show and the occasional issues written by guys like Morrison, Moore, Gaiman and co.

Kevin Smith doesn't inspire much confidence but I'll watch the pilot if this actually happens.

Isn't he supposed to be doing that Buckaroo Banzai show? What happened with that?

There's a lawsuit over who has the rights to the franchise. Kevin didn't want anything to do with the lawsuit, especially since him getting to do the show meant that the rights were taken away from the original creators. So he dropped out.

jurgen

Yeesh. I don't think this will make it past pilot. Smith is really hit or miss this millennium.

I will be down with Authoirty or Planetary at this point too.

Westworld proved to me that Planetary would be brilliant as a TV program. My dream of Clive Owen as Elijah Snow could become a reality in this era of television.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
He's been saying that since the late 90s. And he doesn't want the movie to happen unless he gets to direct it. So I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yup, he has a lot in common with Max Landis, yapping his mouth about the cool shit he wrote and we'll never see. Difference is, Landis sometimes gets shit made.

Supposedly, he has a script ready, looking to be made. It's a different take on Spawn, more like a horrormovie.

He's been saying that since the late 90s. And he doesn't want the movie to happen unless he gets to direct it. So I wouldn't hold my breath.

At one point, McFarlene was saying that his Spawn remake was meant to be focused on other characters (Sam and Twitch for instance), and that Spawn was just meant to be this strange, mysterious spirit thing that just exist in the universe:

http://comicbook.com/2016/09/16/exclusive-todd-mcfarlane-provides-spawn-movie-update-in-new-geek/
"The simple answer is yes," McFarlane told Smith when she asked about the possibility of another Spawn movie, assuring her that it won't be a continuation of the 1997 film starring Michael Jai White and John Leguizamo. Rather, it will be "a dark, R-rated, scary, badass sort of script."

He told her that "the world's going to be real, except for one thing that's going to move," and that "you're never going to see a dude in a rubber suit....This is going to be my Jaws shark," and then showed her some concept art.

That all gels with what McFarlane told ComicBook.com back in February.

"In the background, there’s this thing moving around, this boogeyman. That boogeyman just happens to be something that you and I, intellectually, know is Spawn," he explained. "Will he look like he did in the first movie? No. Will he have a supervillain he fights? No. He’s going to be the spectre, the ghost."

Also given that Todd McFarlane has had a completed script since earlier this year, we might be closer than ever to hearing some major announcements as far as the film is concerned.

"I've finished the script, and I'm in the process of editing," McFarlane said. "It's 183 pages, and [producers] usually like 120. I still think it's going to end up being about 140, because I'm putting in details for myself."

I don't really read comics, just pick up things here and there from gaf/wikipedia/movies. Nevertheless, this idea doesn't excite me much. I'm not trying to see anything not focused on Simmons.

Of course, Jamie Foxx has also been trying to get this off the ground, and recently said so in a Reddit AMA:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme..._my_new_movie_sleepless_his_theaters/dbyvo5r/
Maggotboy, I am trying with all of my might to make that happen! That will be something miraculous! Let's get a campaign going. I want to do Spawn. Maggotboy, I'm there for you. Anything you need, let's go.

Although it's kind of difficult to tell exactly what the relationship between the two is, from what I understand, they have at least talked about this project, although Todd didn't come off as particularly excited about Jamie:

http://screenrant.com/spawn-movie-reboot-todd-mcfarlane-interview-2013/
So far, the most positive sign that Spawn fans have had is the interest from Academy Award-winning actor Jamie Foxx, who has said that he’s “aggressively pursuing” the role, and whose interest almost certainly encouraged studios to begin seeking out a deal to produce Spawn. Surprisingly, McFarlane didn’t seem too enthused about this potential casting choice:

“At the San Diego Con, Jamie Foxx came out and they were doing an interview and [he said] ‘I make a good Spawn, right? I met with Todd and I want to do Spawn.’ And I was like, ‘I thought we were keeping that [quiet].'”

Game Rant then asked whether Foxx is the actor that McFarlane actually wants to play Spawn:

“No, no, no, I’m just saying he said it out loud and then all of a sudden all the studios were phoning me again saying, ‘Todd, see if we can even get somebody in there.'”

As Kubikiman stated, Todd has been saying this stuff for years. While it's not particularly unique for a big budget movie idea to cook for awhile, I doubt that we ever see HIS version of this project. Write, fund, direct, produce? In this age where comic movies are so expensive, and important, to studios? C'mon Todd.

Hmm, could be interesting. The Bendis comics were pretty good, as I recall. I don't really like that they're making it an episodic thing, though... How many fucked up occult crimes can there be in one city? Monster-of-the-week gets kinda goofy fast if you're going for a somewhat serious, dark tone. Seems like a season-long investigation would work better, to me.

G-Fex

I guess they think the Spawn movie was as bad as Batman and Robin and are scared to do anything with the actual fucking title character.

This idea sucks.

Wuiji

Dont get your hopes up. Most of his project become vaporware like Clerks 3, Mallrats 2 tv show.

Pre-weed Kevin Smith actually made some decent flicks. On-weed Kevin Smith has made zero decent flicks. Vapourware is most definitely the right word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom