• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baltimore Man robbed/stripped in front of a bunch of people (wsh video careful)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr2xxx

Banned
http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#/video/crime/2012/04/09/tsr-sylvester-man-beaten-baltimore.cnn

Why isn't this investigated as a hate crime or reverse racism? I never understood that... If this was the other way around we'd be having riots and marches... But when it's this way it's just a normal crime.

Also *popcorn*. This shit just really Gets me boiling.

WHy is that a hate crime? Honestly those people in the video are scum plain and simple and would probably do that to another black person. You act like black on black violence doesn't exist.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, other than Philly, Baltimore is the worst city I've ever been to. A complete cesspool.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#/video/crime/2012/04/09/tsr-sylvester-man-beaten-baltimore.cnn

Why isn't this investigated as a hate crime or reverse racism? I never understood that... If this was the other way around we'd be having riots and marches... But when it's this way it's just a normal crime.

First reverse racism?

If it's a racist crime its just a hate crime.

Second, if all they did was beat him and strip him then there would be justification for calling it a hate crime, but the motive was robbery. The guy who takes his wallet and hits him first says in the video "I'm going to take his wallet"

An example of a hate crime is that kid in Mississippi who ran over a black man for no other reason then the color of the man's skin. When a crime is committed just out of hate for somone different then onself its a hate crime.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
First of all, reverse racism? Can you explain what that means OP, because if I'm understanding you correctly the opposite of racism is not racism yet you seem to think this is motivated by race?

You should probably look up what a hate crime actually is OP. I can tell you right now that robbing someone is not a hate crime just because the victim happens to be a different race from that of the perpetrator(s).

akira28

Why isn't this investigated as a hate crime or reverse racism? I never understood that... If this was the other way around we'd be having riots and marches...

simpsons-leaving-room.gif

SmokyDave

Although I suspect that hate-crime legislation is applied in an uneven manner, this one video isn't the best way to prove it. Well, there is no way to prove it, I wouldn't have thought.

Still, the justice system leans heavily towards white people so you can sleep safe in your bed.

Banglish

im sorry but detective coleman rose is so cutely idealistic.
"just on a level of humanity it makes you question the motives of those individuals"

How dense do you really have to be to question their motives? The dude is clearly drunk, girls are rubbing up on him, he's just standing there unaware of wtf is going on around him. Dude in the white shirt takes advantage of that. PEOPLE TAKE ADVANTAGE OF PEOPLE. It doesn't matter what color his skin was, if the dude was black, same deal. Obviously, they all know better to be standing on a sidewalk with a bunch of unknown faces, drunk, and alone.. in goddamn Baltimore. Smh, I'm not saying it's his fault they beat, rob, and mocked him, but don't put yourself in a situation like that to begin with and maybe that won't happen..

"not only did they rob him, but they attempted to strip him of his dignity"
Nah son, they didn't attempt, they did.

"..that kind of behavior will just not be tolerated"
Well I'm just ecstatic you feel that way..

AiTM

Banned
Make no doubt were it a group of white people, and that was a solo black man, race would be brought into it. Thats just the way America is, its much easier to be labeled racist if you are white. Heres an example, have someone say they are proud of the Black race, and have someone say they are proud of the White race. Which one internally sounds racist to you? Those things inherently by themselves aren't racist at all.

It would be nice if we could just look at people as fucking people, and stop making such a big deal over the amount of melanin in their skin.

"just on a level of humanity it makes you question the motives of those individuals"

How dense do you really have to be to question their motives? The dude is clearly drunk, girls are rubbing up on him, he's just standing there unaware of wtf is going on around him. Dude in the white shirt takes advantage of that. PEOPLE TAKE ADVANTAGE OF PEOPLE. It doesn't matter what color his skin was, if the dude was black, same deal. Obviously, they all know better to be standing on a sidewalk with a bunch of unknown faces, drunk, and alone.. in goddamn Baltimore. Smh, I'm not saying it's his fault they beat, rob, and mocked him, but don't put yourself in a situation like that to begin with and maybe that won't happen..

Yea its his fault. How dare he stand out there? You cant blame those sub human animals, after all people just do that to people.

No actually they dont. There are plenty of places where people respect people and wont rob and beat them for standing on the sidewalk.

Nah son, I'm pretty sure you're bullshitting.

neoanarch

You are absolutely right even though I wouldn't be surprised if people try to deny it.

And you would be absolutely right by calling them out on using the race card if the exact situation was reversed. The exact situation.

A hate crime is a very specific sort of loathsome crime. A group of scum in this situation took advantage of an easy target. He was drunk and outnumbered. I don't see how the color of his skin played a major role into it, it could have happened to anyone.

Stealth IPad advert lol,

But in all seriousness, stuff like this happens all the time, just wish some of the bystanders were able to do something about it instead of standing around filming it. People forget that it is their responsibility to address these matters themselves when in a situation like that, if people didn't just stand for it and allow it to happen, it wouldn't happen as much.

There was nothing stopping someone getting four or five other guys and walking over there and stopping that kid from getting a beat down, or at the very least, call the police.

Flatline

Banned
I hate the term reverse racism, either it's racism or not. Also it's interesting that the OP immediately presented this as a racial matter as if there was evidence in the video of it being one. Very interesting indeed...

You are absolutely right even though I wouldn't be surprised if people try to deny it.

Not if they are on video saying I'm going to rob him right before they did it.

I really find it hard to believe that you can't see what a difference the intent of the crime means in these types of situations.

Make no doubt were it a group of white people, and that was a solo black man, race would be brought into it. Thats just the way America is, its much easier to be labeled racist if you are white. Heres an example, have someone say they are proud of the Black race, and have someone say they are proud of the White race. Which one internally sounds racist to you? Those things inherently by themselves aren't racist at all.

Maybe but it is always dependent on how the information is disseminated and where you are. I have seen it all variations, black on black, black on white, white on black, white on white, and the single truth remains that it has to be a situation that is a powderkeg for it to catch wind. I have seen many incidents of violence and messed up situation to know that it simply isn't based off of conflict between races. If that were really true, we would literally hear stories about hate crime very single day.

Also, the Black pride versus white pride all comes down to history (it is really a shame I have to point this out) historically the black pride movement was about finding ones heritage. It was widespread and only a select and noticeable few took it to extremes. In the history of the US though, talk about white pride normally came from supremacists groups and in the last 100 years or so, that term has been associated with some pretty horrific acts on a large scale.

The thing that gets really tiring about all of this is the idea that so many people just "wonder" why this society is but never seem to understand the history behind it. It is not like it is hidden or can be misconstrued.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That girl one minute into the video talking about intervening wouldn't have done shit if she were there. I don't know who she thinks she's fooling.

More like a robbery rather than a hate crime. If you look like an out of towner in the wrong part of town, in the wrong city, you'll get robbed most likely. Those same dudes in the video are probably roaming around in their own hood looking for someone else to terrorize sadly.

MIMIC

Banned
Disgusting. Such a sickening group of individuals. Reminds me of that McDonald's video. "That girl just got ran over by a car! HAHAHAHAHA" >_<

I hope these guys are arrested. It's a damn shame a man can't stand drunk on the sidewalk and without worries of being beaten, robbed, and humiliated for no reason.

And I would say to those that are crying about 'reverse-racism' (the hell?), there is a difference between being an opportunistic shithead that mugs someone because they are drunk, and hunting down and killing a person partially because of their race or solely because of their race.

marrec

Banned
Reverse Racism?

:lol

How is someone getting robbed a hate crime? Sounds to me like you're looking for an excuse to call a bunch of people racist.

Banglish

I'm not saying blame the victim...
Ancient-Aliens-Guy.jpg

...but blame the victim.

Okay you know what, he put himself there. Does that look like a place a drunk person unfamiliar with everyone else, should be all alone? Those people are pos', but why did he choose to chill there? It's like he was waiting for people to be like "oh hey there buddy hows your evening going? I hope it's been swell, well, cya later and have great night!" Kiss him and then leave?
C'mon son.

Nah son, I'm pretty sure you're bullshitting.

Rest assured, I'm not.

This is disgusting but why would it be a hate crime. They just robbed him and kicked him some. Why is there a contingent of GAF intent on proving that blacks get away with "reverse racism" which is a stupid term and committing hate crime. Because guess what the justice system isn't skewed in our favor. I don't know why some people want to conform their prejudices about black people.

He kind of has a point. If the races were reversed there wouldn't be a question of whether it was a hate crime or not. It wouldn't even be in question. You wouldn't hear things like, "Hey guys, it was just a robbery."

speedline

Banned
He kind of has a point. If the races were reversed there wouldn't be a question of whether it was a hate crime or not. It wouldn't even be in question. You wouldn't hear things like, "Hey guys, it was just a robbery."

Oh come on, everyone knows it's just coincidence that the only white guy around gets victimized.

SmokyDave

I don't know about that, I think you'd get plenty of calls of 'not racist'.

Where hate-crime legislation gets ugly is when you have a racially-motivated attack (Such as Rhea Page (Kill the white slag)) and the perps escape hate-crime charges for no real reason at all. It's that kinda thing that creates the bad-blood regarding 'hate crimes' IMO. There is a perception that if the victim is white, there will be no hate-crime charges and sometimes, judges help reinforce that perception.

Shiggie

This type of thinking is irresponsible because it places the blame on the victim.

im not blaming him. Those people are asshole. He just wasn't smart. would you do something like that. I mean, just the idea of getting tipsy and scratching an expensive watch scares me. why wear it when you know you're getting drunk?

This is disgusting but why would it be a hate crime. They just robbed him and kicked him some. Why is there a contingent of GAF intent on proving that blacks get away with "reverse racism" which is a stupid term and committing hate crime. Because guess what the justice system isn't skewed in our favor. I don't know why some people want to conform their prejudices about black people.

This what I thought as soon as I read the OP.

Don't get me wrong those people are scumbags, but the OP immediately made it a race issue at default, just because some black people committed a crime against a white person. That's it!

It's possible that this could be a hate crime (maybe the police find out some very telling information) but it looks like a group robbery to me. A pretty F'ed up one at that. I fell sorry as hell for that guy, boils my blood :mad:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom