• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baltimore Man robbed/stripped in front of a bunch of people (wsh video careful)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude Abides

Banned
Make no doubt were it a group of white people, and that was a solo black man, race would be brought into it. Thats just the way America is, its much easier to be labeled racist if you are white. Heres an example, have someone say they are proud of the Black race, and have someone say they are proud of the White race. Which one internally sounds racist to you? Those things inherently by themselves aren't racist at all.

It would be nice if we could just look at people as fucking people, and stop making such a big deal over the amount of melanin in their skin.

Since the first reaction from you, the OP, and other members of GAF's White Liberation Front was to bring race into it, it's hard to see what point you think you're making.

This type of thinking is irresponsible because it places the blame on the victim.

Its not his fault but it's not a hate crime for two reasons.

1. They say to the camera were going to rob him. Meaning the robbery was the intended crime.

2. They were not hitting him until he tried to get his stuff back. They thought he was so drunk he wouldn't notice but he did and because they are scumbags they beat the crap out of him. They didn't do it because he was white.

Angry Fork

im not blaming him. Those people are asshole. He just wasn't smart. would you do something like that. I mean, just the idea of getting tipsy and scratching an expensive watch scares me. why wear it when you know you're getting drunk?

Why wear a skirt in the presence of a bunch of guys? She was asking to be raped!

Slayven

Shitty thread setup up for only one result. This was just shitty people being shitty. No wonder there can't be a serious discussion about race on Gaf.

SmokyDave

Shitty thread setup up for only one result. This was just shitty people being shitty. No wonder there can't be a serious discussion about race on Gaf.

I think that blame can be laid all over, not just at the feet of the supposed 'White Liberation Front*'. Even if the OP had chosen an appropriate video for his theme**, there'd be no room for discussion here.

*What the fuck does that even mean?
**I'm assuming the theme is 'hate-crime legislation is applied in an unequal manner'.

Make no doubt were it a group of white people, and that was a solo black man, race would be brought into it. Thats just the way America is, its much easier to be labeled racist if you are white. Heres an example, have someone say they are proud of the Black race, and have someone say they are proud of the White race. Which one internally sounds racist to you? Those things inherently by themselves aren't racist at all.

It would be nice if we could just look at people as fucking people, and stop making such a big deal over the amount of melanin in their skin.

Yea its his fault. How dare he stand out there? You cant blame those sub human animals, after all people just do that to people.

No actually they dont. There are plenty of places where people respect people and wont rob and beat them for standing on the sidewalk.

So do you think this is racially motivated. I don't know why you want to make up hypotheticals where whites are punished more harshly instead of looking at the situation at hand.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Reverse Racism sounds like a peculiar way to say positive discrimination. So what the OP is saying this wasn't a crime, but a welcoming ceremony into the gang in order to boost the number of white people in it so they could to look good in the annual reports.

People who record and laugh these crime are pretty sick individuals. If you are recording it as evidence to try and capture people's faces however thats ok. Sometimes you don't want to get physically involved for your own safety, but you can always try to help the police in their investigation. But give that video to the police to release rather than dump it on YouTube for hits.

andycapps

ITT I learned that racism = white people hating black people. Reverse racism = black people hating white people.

Seems like a pretty good case for robbery and a good case for racism, to me.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Yea its his fault. How dare he stand out there? You cant blame those sub human animals, after all people just do that to people.

No actually they dont. There are plenty of places where people respect people and wont rob and beat them for standing on the sidewalk.

Let me clarify a small thing in this. The "black race" and "white race" thing. Do you know why Black is considered a race? Its because you've got millions of people who generally don't even know where they came from past 4 generations ago. Many, many Caucasians can look back and trace their roots by their name and their lineage to a culture that is embedded in their community. Blacks, for the most part, can trace it back to a certain plantation if they're lucky. To be "proud" of that, is to say that you're proud of forging a community and culture out of essentially nothing. To be "proud" of white culture is well... it comes off a bit strange to say the least when you have a more defined and clear background - but even more so when laid in comparison to black culture. You've got Italian, Scottish, British, German lineages to look at... How many African-American's know what coast they came from? Where the slave ships dropped their line off at? What their original family name was? Their language?

owlbeak

Baltimore is SUCH a shit hole. I am so glad I left that place.

I wouldn't be sad if the whole city just disappeared overnight. I can count on one hand the number of people I met there that were not absolute scum. Fuck that place.

I refuse to watch the video. I live in MD (DC metro area) and I make it a goal not to go to Baltimore. I associate that city with nothing good.

I grew up in a lower income town, right between Camden and Trenton NJ and basically 5 minutes from Philly, and as a white guy I got beat up alot just for being one of the few poor white kids who lived in the town.
I never looked at as a hate crime tho.

The "attack" that sits in my mind the most is one night walking home and having a car scope me out 2-3 times along the way. Then at one point the doors opened and 3 or 4 black guys WHOOPED my ass lol. The whole time they were stomping me they called me "Cracker" and of course white boy.
Funniest part is when I was in the fetal position trying to protect my face and they said
"Stand the cracker up, stand his white ass up"
And they did..
Then the guy told me "This aint CowTown motherfucker" and then I got knocked the F*CK out lol.

They left me with my clothes but took my house key, empty wallet, and my shoes :(

Steelrain

Whenever I see someone use the term "reverse racism" I pretty much assume that they are racist.

I grew up in a lower income town, right between Camden and Trenton NJ and basically 5 minutes from Philly, and as a white guy I got beat up alot just for being one of the few poor white kids who lived in the town.
I never looked at as a hate crime tho.

The "attack" that sits in my mind the most is one night walking home and having a car scope me out 2-3 times along the way. Then at one point the doors opened and 3 or 4 black guys WHOOPED my ass lol. The whole time they were stomping me they called me "Cracker" and of course white boy.
Funniest part is when I was in the fetal position trying to protect my face and they said
"Stand the cracker up, stand his white ass up"
And they did..
Then the guy told me "This aint CowTown motherfucker" and then I got knocked the F*CK out lol.

They left me with my clothes but took my house key, empty wallet, and my shoes :(
Damn

And all the faces from that "other" thread come out to play with ridiculous hate crime assertions. I for one am not surprised.

Terrible btw, I don't know how people can do shit like that to each other.

But there is such a thing as blacks being racist against whites.

I never said there wasn't. I don't think this is a case of that though. These are just opportunistic scumbags taken advantage of a drunk guy. Maybe I'm just oblivious to how racist my people really are though.

DY_nasty

Shouting a racial/homophobic/sexist/etc insult during a crime does not make it a hate crime.

And dear god why the fuck do I keep clicking on WSH vids

Nabs

And all the faces from that "other" thread come out to play with ridiculous hate crime assertions. I for one am not surprised.

Terrible btw, I don't know how people can do shit like that to each other.

Yep.

That video was hard to watch. I hope someone pulls the plug on wshh one day.

Now, they did obviously do it because he was white. I'm not screaming reverse racism, but it's simply because he was white that they chose to fuck with him.

agrajag

Banned
I never said there wasn't. I don't think this is a case of that though. These are just opportunistic scumbags taken advantage of a drunk guy. Maybe I'm just oblivious to how racist my people really are though.

Maybe some of those people are racist, maybe some or not. It's easy to jump to the conclusion that race was a motivation since all the criminals and people that didn't offer help in that video were black, and the victim was white. I do think that "this guy is different, let's gang up on him" type mentality was a factor.

Because he simply stands the fuck out. Ghetto black people clown on white people all the fucking time. I'm not saying it wont happen to a black person, but more often than not its seen as more of an opportunity when theres some lonely, goofy looking white dude on the street. I know this from experience, I grew up in the ghetto having all black friends, they did it because he was white. Simple as that.

bjb

Banned
Wish there was more context to why this might have occurred.

Unless it's just a random beating / hate crime. Either way I feel bad for the guy.

He looked like he was kinda asking for it..

The fuck? How exactly was he asking to be attacked by savages. Because he's white and wearing a nice watch?

Steelrain

Because he simply stands the fuck out. Ghetto black people clown on white people all the fucking time. I'm not saying it wont happen to a black person, but more often than not its seen as more of an opportunity when theres some lonely, goofy looking white dude on the street. I know this from experience, I grew up in the ghetto having all black friends, they did it because he was white. Simple as that.

Sounds pretty simple.

First of all, reverse racism? Can you explain what that means OP, because if I'm understanding you correctly the opposite of racism is not racism yet you seem to think this is motivated by race?

You should probably look up what a hate crime actually is OP. I can tell you right now that robbing someone is not a hate crime just because the victim happens to be a different race from that of the perpetrator(s).

I think the perception is that there is an attitude where crimes that are perpetrated by whites, where the victims are black, too often draw race as a possible motive amongst observers. The concept of reverse racism seems to be more of a rhetoric in response to those attitudes than an actual statement about race relations. The video in the OP and similar ones have been spreading around social networks in the last few weeks because of the Zimmerman thing and if I had to guess I don't think this thread would have been made prior to that.

agrajag

Banned

Fair point. The only possible scenario I can picture of the opposite happening (a lone black guy surrounded by thuggish white people) would be in the deep South, and everyone would say they're a bunch of racist Confederate rednecks.

I think the perception is that there is an attitude where crimes that are perpetrated by whites, where the victims are black, too often draw race as a possible motive amongst observers. The concept of reverse racism seems to be more of a rhetoric in response to those attitudes than an actual statement about race relations. The video in the OP and similar ones have been spreading around social networks in the last few weeks because of the Zimmerman thing and if I had to guess I don't think this thread would have been made prior to that.

Videos like this have been posted many times before the death of Trayvon Martin. WSH in general gets a lot of attention on GAF, for whatever reason.

These people are clearly scum of the earth and should not be part of general society. They have just proven they they are unproductive and dangerous shitheads that should be locked up.

hypernima

Banned
Living in baltimore I can honestly say I'm not surprised. and the only reason that this is even getting press because it went viral on the internet.

BCPD don't really solve many crimes that aren't just handed to them. Hopefully for the fact that there is video evidence then MAYBE he'll get justice. This is all types of messed up.

Also, this is definitely not a hate crime. It's definitely opportunistic. If dudes see you as vulnerable they will rob you quite quick in this city. Heck, I heard some 70 yr old dude was robbed at the bus stop recently.

DY_nasty

couldn't agree more

even the term "reverse racism". its loaded

SmokyDave

Doesn't 'reverse-racism' stem from the belief that only the dominant group can be racist? Something about needing prejudice & power?

I might be wrong (I personally can't stand the phrase) but I thought that was the origin. Only white people can be 'racist' therefore racism towards white people must be 'reverse-racism'. I think that's the idea.

As for the Zimmerman thing, videos like this predate that case by years and the comments hardly ever change. You might be seeing more lately, I suppose.

couldn't agree more

even the term "reverse racism". its loaded
Sometimes seems everything regarding this topic is loaded. The suggestion that I just put forward is also loaded as it's reliant on the idea that only white people can be technically racist. So much loading, so little dialogue. Like a C64 text adventure.

sangreal

Wish there was more context to why this might have occurred.

Unless it's just a random beating / hate crime. Either way I feel bad for the guy.

Being alone and black out drunk on the street tends to get you robbed. The beating happened because he defended himself. Being a tourist probably had a lot to do with it. I mean, it isn't defensible, but the context as to why it happened isn't exactly hard to figure out.

Shouting a racial/homophobic/sexist/etc insult during a crime does not make it a hate crime.

Personally I agree, but not everyone would.

Videos like this have been posted many times before the death of Trayvon Martin. WSH in general gets a lot of attention on GAF, for whatever reason.

I know, but I wouldn't be surprised if the OP posted this in response to the Zimmerman narrative specifically.

sangreal

Fair point. The only possible scenario I can picture of the opposite happening (a lone black guy surrounded by thuggish white people) would be in the deep South, and everyone would say they're a bunch of racist Confederate rednecks.

Seriously? This shit happens everywhere with a mixture of any races. It's only in the news because of the video. The notion that you can't picture the reverse happening without klansmen is incredible.

Dude Abides

Banned
I think that blame can be laid all over, not just at the feet of the supposed 'White Liberation Front*'. Even if the OP had chosen an appropriate video for his theme**, there'd be no room for discussion here.

*What the fuck does that even mean?
**I'm assuming the theme is 'hate-crime legislation is applied in an unequal manner'.

It means we must free the white man from the chains of people always talking racism with nary a thought for the plight of the melanin-deficient.

agrajag

Banned
Seriously? This shit happens everywhere with a mixture of any races. It's only in the news because of the video. The notion that you can't picture the reverse happening without klansmen is incredible.

Find a video of a bunch of white thugs attacking a black person then. I just couldn't think of any urban areas densely populated by white thugs. And the fact that you labeled the people in my hypothetical klansmen when I said no such thing says something about you. All I said was people in the South.

Leckan

I've said it before and I'll say it again, other than Philly, Baltimore is the worst city I've ever been to. A complete cesspool.

image.php

SmokyDave

It means we must free the white man from the chains of people always talking racism with nary a thought for the plight of the melanin-deficient.

What is it that you are mocking? The concept of racism against whites? False racial equivalences? Bigger dead dog syndrome?

If you could just tone the sarcasm down a bit and shoot straight, I'd really appreciate it. Right now, you sound just like the people I suspect you're mocking. All black & white, with no grey.

This type of thinking is irresponsible because it places the blame on the victim.

No it doesn't. It simply invites the idea that the situation could probably have been avoided. There is nothing in that observation that lays blame or justifies the actions of the hoodlums.

And because we don't have magical mind machines, or a thought crime forensic tool, the only way we can infer hate crimes is by outwards behavior and demeanor. And shouting hateful stuff while committing a crime is certainly the easiest way to have a target painted.

Doesn't 'reverse-racism' stem from the belief that only the dominant group can be racist? Something about needing prejudice & power?

I might be wrong (I personally can't stand the phrase) but I thought that was the origin. Only white people can be 'racist' therefore racism towards white people must be 'reverse-racism'. I think that's the idea.

Only Institutionalized racism requires power. Racism, is simply racism. "Reverse racism" would mean "not racist." It doesn't help though that in the US the term only seems to be used in powderkeg situations. Normally as a defense against the accusation or the implication of racism.

Dude Abides

Banned
What is it that you are mocking? The concept of racism against whites? False racial equivalences?

If you could just tone the sarcasm down a bit and shoot straight, I'd really appreciate it. Right now, you sound just like the people I suspect you're mocking. All black & white, with no grey.

That the WLF saw this as an opportunity to create a hypothetical where the races were reversed and rave about how there'd riots if their fantasy were actually the case. They are ridiculous and rightly mocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom