• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
If you want the "Take this guy off the team and watch what happens" example, then look no further than Dwight on the Magic

As long as the Magic are near the top of the conference and he has no real #2 and still puts up numbers he should be the MVP every year

Dwight's barely been better than Ryno this season!

But yeah it's really bad from there. Really bad. :(

Also, PER rewards inefficient shooting and overvalues rebounding.

ALSO keep in mind that, as of now, we don't have any statistics that can accurately tell us anything about individual D.

What does this even mean? Every stat that you accumulate in this game results in a positive outcome for your team and a negative outcome for your opponent.

It's not like LeBron is playing for some shitty team and trying to score 30/game to the detriment of his team by taking 40% of his teams' shots.

So you're saying you just don't understand the formula.

It's out there: http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/per.html

apparently the rebounds that LeBron gets are "system rebounds"

Dwight's barely been better than Ryno this season!

But yeah it's really bad from there. Really bad. :(

Without dwight they'd be in the bottom 5 for defense and offense

and lol ryan anderson's stats (at least his FG%) would drop without him
unless someone has a stat that proves me wrong...

Modern era.

Modern era had how many elite scoring PGs to compare? Gary Payton and...?

Payton still went to the Finals.

I just think looking at a stat like that is an improper approach. How many PGs in the modern era have taken over 20% FGs? What's the size of the set? were any of them on contenders?

Also, PER rewards inefficient shooting and overvalues rebounding.

I've never heard that rebounding argument before...

Cipherr

26.5-6.6-8.2 on 53.5% shooting or 27.7-3.5-8.1 on 50.1% shooting?

Don't see how the latter is out of this world by comparison, all things considered.

Damn, thats actually pretty fucking convincing. I knew it was close, but I didnt know Lebron was actually leading KD there, especially in basket percentage. Perception is a helluva drug.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Modern era had how many elite scoring PGs to compare? Gary Payton and...?

Payton still went to the Finals.

I just think looking at a stat like that is an improper approach. How many PGs in the modern era have taken over 20% FGs? What's the size of the set? were any of them on contenders?

Pretty sure the gist is that Westbrook is more Marbury/Francis than Payton. And I think he's absolutely right.

Westbrook has huge amount of flaws in his game. His Ast:To is lolololololololol.

Talon

I'm interested to see what happens in the next decade or so. The game in the NBA has been dictated by bigs and swingmen. Point guards have always been a luxury, and we've taken it as a given that a great scoring point guard is not necessary - or even detrimental - for a championship team.

With the balance of positional depth swinging down to the 1, we're going to see a team like the Thunder win sooner rather than later.

Damn, thats actually pretty fucking convincing. I knew it was close, but I didnt know Lebron was actually leading KD there, especially in basket percentage. Perception is a helluva drug.

Durant has a higher TS%. His FG% is lower because he's taken 2.5 x as many 3s, which are more valuable.

Pretty sure the gist is that Westbrook is more Marbury/Francis than Payton. And I think he's absolutely right.

Westbrook has huge amount of flaws in his game. His Ast:To is lolololololololol.

Marbury never played with anyone near Durant (after leaving KG) and Francis had Yao early on and was soon traded. And francis was never as good as Westbrook, IMO.

But again, those are just 2 guys. Throw in Payton and we have 3. And Payton went to the Finals. If that's all there ever was, hard to make a conclusion based on that.

I've never heard that rebounding argument before...
I believe I read a post somewhere about how the importance of the # of rpg a player gets tapers off as the player gets more rpg or something....I will admit that this is another situation where I have read the analysis of the statheads on a blog I frequent. They have posted some nice arguments against PER but I can't recall them...

Talon

Durant has a higher TS%. His FG% is lower because he's taken 2.5 x as many 3s, which are more valuable.
And Lebron's FG% is higher because he's cut down on his 3s substantially. Which is a good thing.

Lebron's also worth at the stripe, so I would think that provides a nice swing.

And Lebron's FG% is higher because he's cut down on his 3s substantially. Which is a good thing.

Good for Lebron yes, not for Durant. Durant is shooting nearly 38% on a huge amount. That's like shooting 54% on 2s.

All i'm saying is that a straight FG% comparison is poor.

"I want to see a playoff style game from opening to finish" (something like that)

STFU Jon Barry it's the regular season, we gonna chill.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Good for Lebron yes, not for Durant. Durant is shooting nearly 38% on a huge amount. That's like shooting 54% on 2s.

I think the trap that people are falling for again is believing that Lebron will play like this in the playoffs. When the better defensive teams take away his driving lane because they have time to adjust and he's forced to rely on jumpers and making plays happen from the perimeter, then that's when he falters because his game is flawed.

Welcome to the yearly circus.

Marbury never played with anyone near Durant (after leaving KG) and Francis had Yao early on and was soon traded. And francis was never as good as Westbrook, IMO.

But again, those are just 2 guys. Throw in Payton and we have 3. And Payton went to the Finals. If that's all there ever was, hard to make a conclusion based on that.

Fraudbrook sucks at defense whereas Payton was godlike

I think the trap that people are falling for again is believing that Lebron will play like this in the playoffs. When the better defensive teams take away his driving lane because they have time to adjust and he's forced to rely on jumpers and making plays happen from the perimeter, then that's when he falters because his game is flawed.

Has he added a post game at all this year?

Talon

All I care for are the Bulls losing because Rose's supporting cast blows chunks - hopefully with a few stupid flagrants from Boozer, and OKC raging across the West.

And I'll hold onto the false hope that Horford will be in good enough shape to play, so we hit our peak
- taking some team to 7 games but getting blown out in that last game. Forever A Hawks Fan.
Fraudbrook sucks at defense whereas Payton was godlike
The Glove has got the Love.

I'm playing Draw Something with a female friend of mine and she was trying to draw Jordan and she drew a basketball player in a Bulls jersey

wearing #25

I was too shocked to catch a screenshot :(

Triple U

Banned

I don't buy that. Nobody but Durant decides what shots he takes, same thing with Lebron. You can't discount the guy for taking better shots, they play the same position. Its not like comparing KD to Dwight.

What does this even mean? Every stat that you accumulate in this game results in a positive outcome for your team and a negative outcome for your opponent.

It's not like LeBron is playing for some shitty team and trying to score 30/game to the detriment of his team by taking 40% of his teams' shots.

So you're saying you just don't understand the formula.

It's out there: http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/per.html

So a 3pt basket at the end of the game when your team is down by 35 points and nobody is really guarding you as as valuable when your team is down by 3 points in the final 30 seconds of a game and the opposing team is actually playing defense? Ok...

So an offensive rebound when the opposing team has run off 6 straight points to close the lead at the end of a half is as valuable as an offensive rebound with 3 minutes to play of a blow out? Ok...

Talon

Anyways, I have to be the only poster here that hates the Heat exclusively because Dwayne Wade is an asshat bitch. If there's justice in this world, the Basketball Gods will prevent his floppiness from ever winning another ring in recompense for Game 5 in 2006.

Don't give a shit about Lebron and Bosh.
So a 3pt basket at the end of the game when your team is down by 35 points and nobody is really guarding you as as valuable when your team is down by 3 points in the final 30 seconds of a game and the opposing team is actually playing defense? Ok...

So an offensive rebound when the opposing team has run off 6 straight points to close the lead at the end of a half is as valuable as an offensive rebound with 3 minutes to play of a blow out? Ok...
Regular season MVP is about your body of work, not your performance in the last 2 minutes of 8 close games.

I don't buy that. Nobody but Durant decides what shots he takes, same thing with Lebron. You can't discount the guy for taking better shots, they play the same position. Its not like comparing KD to Dwight.

I'm not knocking lebron.

His FG% has gone up because he's shooting less 3s. He is a mediocre volume 3 shooter. When he shoots out of necessity, he's decent.

I'm saying, you can't compare FG% because FG% doesn't capture the full value of shooting. Making a 3 is worth more than making a 2. 33% form 3 = 50% from 2.

So if Lebron is trading 30% 3s for 56% 2s, that is smart. If Durant is trading 52% 2s for 38% 3s, that is also smart.

Anyway, their efg% TS%, and PPS are so alike, no point in comparing shooting. At least for an MVP argument. I'd say they're equal there.

Lebron's PER is higher pretty much exclusively because of assists. Reb same, TOV% Usg same, block/steals off-set. And the assists are a product of style of play.

Anyways, I have to be the only poster here that hates the Heat exclusively because Dwayne Wade is an asshat bitch. If there's justice in this world, the Basketball Gods will prevent his floppiness from ever winning another ring in recompense for Game 5 in 2006.

Don't give a shit about Lebron and Bosh.

I actually dislike Wade more than LeBron at this point in time.

LeBron is a clown, Wade is a bitch.

Bosh deserves better.

Top Bottom