• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Israel-Gaza Conflict [UN: 1,525+ Palestinian dead, mostly civilian; 66 Israeli]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goliath

So basically if it said "Israeli" or perhaps "Settler" instead of Jewish in the top left corner, you'd agree this Infograph was correct? I could agree with that, but it still doesn't diminish the point that there are two separate *and* unequal populations existing in the West Bank, and that separation is imposed by a military occupation. The point is still valid.

And again, it really doesn't matter if they want Israeli citizenship or not. The point is the different legal reality they exist under.

No the difference is that the picture wouldn't appear as shocking if it explained the ease an Israeli citizen has moving through an Israeli boarder partrol as opposed to someone who is not a citizen wanting to pass through another countries boarder patrol.

We understand that clearly without a picture. If your not a citizen you can't just go though another country easily, even if you want to go to the beach.

maharg

idspispopd
No the difference is that the picture wouldn't appear as shocking if it explained the ease an Israeli citizen has moving through an Israeli boarder partrol as opposed to someone who is not a citizen wanting to pass through another countries boarder patrol.

We understand that clearly without a picture. If your not a citizen you can't just go though another country easily, even if you want to go to the beach.

I think you're willfully ignoring the fact that it says right at the top "...you live in the West Bank...". It's not talking about *all* Israeli citizens, it's talking about the ones who live in the West Bank.

Quotient

The picture might be more effective if it illustrated the difficulties Palestinians have moving within the West Bank, rather than attempting to get into Israel to go to the beach.

Goliath

If you convert you are entitled to citizenship. That there is a process by which you have to verify your conversion does not make that untrue in any way.

The only reason we have to explain it "so much" is because you are flyspecking it because you dislike the implication.

Wrong, you can't convert. Read the Law of Return. You have to have Jewish ancestry which means parents and grandparents or married someone with Jewish ancestry. You can't just convert, you have to be essentially born into a Jewish legacy.

It's not that I dislike the implication. It's that the picture is wrong and oversimplified. I am sure people who want to portray Israel as a country of Bigots (Ironically seeing as whose its neighbors are) love the picture and couldn't care less that it's incorrect and inferring incorrect info. I already disproved it. Jews without citizenship can't go down green path, Christians and Muslims with citizenship can. Done, picture wrong.

maharg

idspispopd
The picture might be more effective if it illustrated the difficulties Palestinians have moving within the West Bank, rather than attempting to go into Israel to get to the beach.

I do agree with that. Or the other legal inequalities, like access to legal services and civilian court behind the security wall. I don't think this is a problem with the size or shape of the infographic, though.

Goliath

I think you're willfully ignoring the fact that it says right at the top "...you live in the West Bank...". It's not talking about *all* Israeli citizens, it's talking about the ones who live in the West Bank.

Yes and a Christian and Muslim with Israli Citizenship could be a douche and settle in West Bank like the crazy settlers there and go down the green path. The difference is they don't. That doesn't make the pic any less wrong.

The settlers can go to the beach not because they are Jews but citizens of Israel.

Linkhero1

I don't know how long the process is before they get a visa or become a citizen. I also don't know what limitation exist. Either way the green path is for Israeli citizens not just Jews. Those can be Jewish, Muslim or Christian which exist in Israel.

I mean can we just agree that if people have to explain that stupid picture this much that it is inaccurate and oversimplified. How many pictures must we go through before we just admit that you can't grasp the complex situation there through a few pictures?
I don't disagree that it's not just for Jewish people, but it's more than likely that if you're Jewish, it won't be as difficult to move through both Israel and the Occupied West Bank. I'm not arguing in favor of the picture because it's not 100% factually correct but there is some truth to it. Especially, how difficult it is for Palestinians living in the West Bank to move around the West Bank.

collige

Banned
Wrong, you can't convert. Read the Law of Return. You have to have Jewish ancestry which means parents and grandparents or married someone with Jewish ancestry. You can't just convert, you have to be essentially born into a Jewish legacy.

It's not that I dislike the implication. It's that the picture is wrong and oversimplified. I am sure people who want to portray Israel as a country of Bigots (Ironically seeing as whose its neighbors are) love the picture and couldn't care less that it's incorrect and inferring incorrect info. I already disproved it. Jews without citizenship can't go down green path, Christians and Muslims with citizenship can. Done, picture wrong.

You yourself posted the Law of Return last page which specifically states that you can convert.
The Law of Return 5710-1950 was enacted by the Knesset, Israel's Parliament, on July 5, 1950. The Law declares the right of Jews to come to Israel: "Every Jew has the right to come to this country as an oleh." Follow-up legislation on immigration matters was contained in the Nationality Law of 1952. The Law of Return was modified in 1970 to extend the right of return to non-Jews with a Jewish grandparent, and their spouses.

The law since 1970 applies to those born Jews (having a Jewish mother or maternal grandmother), those with Jewish ancestry (having a Jewish father or grandfather) and converts to Judaism (Orthodox, Reform, or Conservative denominations—not secular—though Reform and Conservative conversions must take place outside the state, similar to civil marriages).

Linkhero1

You yourself posted the Law of Return last page which specifically states that you can convert.

But the process might take too long so it's just as hard.

Another point that some seem to be missing is how difficult it is for Palestinians to travel through the Occupied West Bank. You can be denied from crossing a checkpoint for whatever reason. Want to see you relatives the next town over? Too bad.

maharg

idspispopd

Note the "and" right before your bolded part.

Er. Or...

Never+had+trouble+with+grammar+in+english+but+ambiguity+was+_fb0c02d4ced28d0b4e507b8b1a4ff440.jpg

Dude Abides

Banned

THis is just blatantly false.

http://www.mfa.gov.il/mfa/mfa-archive/1950-1959/pages/law of return 5710-1950.aspx

1. Every Jew has the right to come to this country as an oleh**.

4B. For the purposes of this Law, "Jew" means a person who was born of a Jewish mother or has become converted to Judaism and who is not a member of another religion.

Edit: I see someone beat me to it.

Dead Man

I think Hamas will need to take a non violent approach if they want anyone to realise what is happening to the Palestinian people. Their rockets aren't effective anyway, they should claim the moral high ground definitively. Nothing would change on the ground (well, a lot of people would not feel like they were being proactive enough and anger would be there, certainly) and it would demolish the 'Israeli self defence' argument.

I feel Hamas absolutely has a right to self defence, but in this case I think they are better served by not exercising it.

That part at the end, where some people cry and try and pull the holocaust card...
Wow.

Good thing the speaker has that background. (family were holocaust survivors)
Sucks to say, but people might listen to him more due to that.

Glad someone with that background has the internal fortitude to stand up for what's right.

Yeah, got a lot of time for Norm. Sucks that you have to be from a select group of historical suffering to be able to comment on this and even then he gets plenty of accusations of being a self hating Jew.

Cromat

One day we should have a thread about why this conflict receives this much attention and attracts this type of emotional attachment.

I think Hamas will need to take a non violent approach if they want anyone to realise what is happening to the Palestinian people. Their rockets aren't effective anyway, they should claim the moral high ground definitively. Nothing would change on the ground (well, a lot of people would not feel like they were being proactive enough and anger would be there, certainly) and it would demolish the 'Israeli self defence' argument.

I feel Hamas absolutely has a right to self defence, but in this case I think they are better served by not exercising it.

Yeah, got a lot of time for Norm. Sucks that you have to be from a select group of historical suffering to be able to comment on this and even then he gets plenty of accusations of being a self hating Jew.

I agree, they are not the aggressors but they have nothing to gain by firing off rockets. Just do nothing and see what happens. Maybe public opinion in the west would begin to change.

Zen

Banned
You seem to misunderstand what the settlements are. Settlements are being built on top of empty hills. No one is being displaced.
http://www.haaretz.com/polopoly_fs/...g_gen/derivatives/landscape_640/377125945.jpg

This is an outright lie.

http://www.economist.com/news/middl...m?zid=308&ah=e21d923f9b263c5548d5615da3d30f4d

The signs of previous bouts of displacement ring the adjacent hills. Mobile homes for young Jewish settlers sprout on the hilltops. Armed with a list of military orders, Israeli soldiers are herding the West Bank’s Palestinians out of the rural 60% of the territory, officially known as Area C, where Israel has full military and civilian control, and into cities. On some days the Israeli army declares a patch of land to be a live-fire military zone. On other days they say the Palestinians must move because of an impending archaeological dig. The erection of hilltop stations to provide antennae for Israeli mobile phones (but not for Palestinian ones) is another oft-cited reason for pushing Palestinians out. Eight Palestinian hamlets around Susiya face demolition.

arned that the Palestinians in Area C are under threat. Some 350,000 Jewish settlers now inhabit over 200 settlements and outposts in the same area, usually on the high ground, twice as many people as the Palestinians in the land below. Moshe Yaalon, Israel’s new defence minister, the ultimate authority in the West Bank, backs a report commissioned last year by the Israeli government, endorsing all such Jewish settlements. Naftali Bennett, another powerful minister in the new coalition of Binyamin Netanyahu, the prime minister, wants all of Area C to be annexed outright to Israel.

In many respects this has already largely taken place. A senior Israeli officer recently testified in court that in the past 45 years of Israeli occupation the army has redistributed around 70% of the West Bank land designated as state-owned either to Jewish settlers or to the World Zionist Organisation, whereas less than 1% of supposedly state-owned land was granted to Palestinians. While Israel’s government expands Jewish settlements and ties them to Israel proper with a network of roads, it bars and sometimes reverses Palestinian development. It habitually denies housing permits to Palestinians, thus stunting the community’s natural growth, yet provides uninterrupted water to Jewish settlements. Water for the Palestinians generally comes once a week, by lorry. Israeli soldiers have destroyed scores of small EU-funded projects, ranging from wells to solar panelling, and threatened to demolish scores more.

So far this year Israel's army has evicted almost 400 Palestinian West Bankers from their homes in Area C, the fastest rate for two years, says the UN, and has dismantled over 200 residential and work-related structures. The number of such incidents has risen sharply since a new Israeli government, with even stronger settler influence within it, took office in March. As a result, the European Union called on April 26th for an end to what it calls “the forced transfer” of Palestinians out of Area C. The Israeli army has also again demolished a restaurant, al-Maghrour, in a rural spot that was popular with Palestinians from nearby Bethlehem, which is increasingly hemmed in by settlements. In addition, some 2,300 Bedouin have recently been earmarked for removal from the strategic west-east corridor known as E1, which links Jerusalem to a big Jewish settlement, Maale Adumim, and to its smaller satellite community, Kfar Adumim, where Israel’s new housing minister, Uri Ariel, happens to reside.

And lets say we take your argument at face value, what if it is true? Well Israel would still be illegally claiming Palestinian land.

maharg

idspispopd
I agree, they are not the aggressors but they have nothing to gain by firing off missiles. Just do nothing and see what happens. Maybe public opinion in the west would begin to change.

It's not like there haven't been periods of relative peace. All that happens is Israel feels secure and so has no reason to come to the table. Meanwhile, the close ties between the US and Israel continue to stymie efforts to get Americans engaged on the issue.

Like it or not, getting angry enough and fighting back enough that brutal crackdowns happen has worked in the past against other western-aligned regimes. Even movements with a heavy component of peaceful resistance usually also had a violent resistance element as well.

pgtl_10

All this Jewish/Israeli stuff is bogus. The majority of non-Jews in the region are placed in classification simply to deny or limit their power. The same is not true for Jews. The "West Bank" and "Gaza Strip" are just inventions designed to suppress non-Jewish voices and power.

Dead Man

It's not like there haven't been periods of relative peace. All that happens is Israel feels secure and so has no reason to come to the table. Meanwhile, the close ties between the US and Israel continue to stymie efforts to get Americans engaged on the issue.

Like it or not, getting angry enough and fighting back enough that brutal crackdowns happen has worked in the past against other western-aligned regimes. Even movements with a heavy component of peaceful resistance usually also had a violent resistance element as well.

The difficulty with that tactic in Palestine is the unwavering support the Israeli government has from the US. There will be no meaningful international pressure. Israel could be the most brutal genocidal maniacs we have seen since Rwanda and it wouldn't get the US government to lift a finger to help the Palestinians.

The only way I feel they get any US help (and thus any UN help) is to be passive victims, otherwise the arguments will be muddied with the self defence bullshit.

maharg

idspispopd
The difficulty with that tactic in Palestine is the unwavering support the Israeli government has from the US. There will be no meaningful international pressure. Israel could be the most brutal genocidal maniacs we have seen since Rwanda and it wouldn't get the US government to lift a finger to help the Palestinians.

The only way I feel they get any US help (and thus any UN help) is to be passive victims, otherwise the arguments will be muddied with the self defence bullshit.

Like I said, they've been passive victims in the past and it got them nothing. Even though the message in American media is overwhelmingly pro-Israeli, in peacetime quite simply nobody in North America even thinks about Palestine, so even that's a step up. Some people will investigate and come to deeper conclusions than "Hamas Evil, Palestinians Support Hamas so Israel Defend Itself". But they sure won't when the issue isn't even on the agenda.

It's definitely a steeper uphill climb in a lot of ways than say, South Africa, but they don't get anywhere by milling about at the bottom while the boulders come down and that's demonstrably true throughout this conflict.

Where violence doesn't work is against countries like China or Russia that just don't care if they have to steamroll people in the public eye to maintain order. China can outlaw resistance in Tibet or any mention of Tiananmen Square and get away with it, the US has a harder time with that. But *only* when the public eye is actually looking.

Dead Man

Like I said, they've been passive victims in the past and it got them nothing. Even though the message in American media is overwhelmingly pro-Israeli, in peacetime quite simply nobody in North America even thinks about Palestine, so even that's a step up. Some people will investigate and come to deeper conclusions than "Hamas Evil, Palestinians Support Hamas so Israel Defend Itself". But they sure won't when the issue isn't even on the agenda.

But I am saying that by being passive they will still be attacked and oppressed. Israel has broken plenty of ceasefires, all they have to do is just not retaliate for that. They have been provoking lately, and where are they in terms of US media coverage? Nowhere.

It know it is not a simple 'do this to win', it may not help in the slightest. But provoking crackdowns has not worked and will not work due to factors that are unique to the Israel US relationship.

Linkhero1

But I am saying that by being passive they will still be attacked and oppressed. Israel has broken plenty of ceasefires, all they have to do is just not retaliate for that. They have been provoking lately, and where are they in terms of US media coverage? Nowhere.

It know it is not a simple 'do this to win', it may not help in the slightest. But provoking crackdowns has not worked and will not work due to factors that are unique to the Israel US relationship.

It's very hard to be passive when members of your family are arrested/beaten/killed in front of your very eyes. It would take a lot of restraint not to do something. Most civilians don't do anything after family members get killed. I understand where your coming from but I don't think it will do much.

danwarb

Israel could end this so easily and peacefully, they have all the power here, but that wouldn't be a smart political move for Netanyahu and co. Fear and war works better than peace for the right.

Cromat

Israel could end this so easily and peacefully, they have all the power here, but that wouldn't be a smart political move for Netanyahu and co. Fear and war works better than peace for the right.

Israel agreed to an unconditional ceasefire like 6 times already for the love of God...

GYODX

So, anybody post that Italian reporter's tweets about the hospital attack yet? The ones that corroborated Israel's account of what happened.

Dead Man

It's very hard to be passive when members of your family are arrested/beaten/killed in front of your very eyes. It would take a lot of restraint not to do something. Most civilians don't do anything after family members get killed. I understand where your coming from but I don't think it will do much.

Yeah, I agree with that. But as you say, individual Palestinians are already doing it, they are just taking their losses. the Hamas leadership would need to find a way to sell it to the militants, that would be the difficulty.

Cromat

Has anyone noticed that there is absolutely zero footage from Gaza of any Hamas fighters? Doesn't that seem a bit strange?

So, anybody post that Italian reporter's tweets about the hospital attack yet? The ones that corroborated Israel's account of what happened.
They're on this very page.

I'm inclined to wait for more evidence, given the IDF initially claimed the school attack was the result of a Hamas rocket having fallen short as well.

On the other hand, an Al Jazeera article I was reading mentioned that ~10% of rockets fail to make it out of Gaza.

maharg

idspispopd
One day we should have a thread about why this conflict receives this much attention and attracts this type of emotional attachment.

What is the appropriate amount of attention and emotional attachment this conflict should receive? How will I know when I've reached my daily quota of caring?

How many "Bashar Al-Assad is a terrible terrible person"s do I have to say before I've refilled my Palestine Caring Meter?

Linkhero1

Yeah, I agree with that. But as you say, individual Palestinians are already doing it, they are just taking their losses. the Hamas leadership would need to find a way to sell it to the militants, that would be the difficulty.

Definitely. Especially, since there also seems to be lone cells operating within the strip. I was hoping the PLO-Hamas unity treaty would be moving forward but I don't think we'll see any of that with what's currently happening.

Kadayi

Banned

Its a nice idea, but frankly the cards are stacked against them. Regardless of however much international outrage their might be, plain truth of the matter is as long as the US government is wholeheartedly backing Israel there's little that will change. Whilst the US continue to use their security council veto to block any UN initiatives regarding the illegal occupation of Palestine, it's business as usual in Tel Aviv.

In 400 years or so when Palestine and it's people are a footnote in the history books and all that remains is Israel, people will likely look back upon this whole sorry saga and those who perpetuated it with open mouthed incredulity.

Toxi

Banned
Has anyone noticed that there is absolutely zero footage from Gaza of any Hamas fighters? Doesn't that seem a bit strange?
They're trying their best to stay hidden among the civilians or in tunnels, as Israel constantly reminds us.

Dead Man

Its a nice idea, but frankly the cards are stacked against them. Regardless of however much international outrage their might be, plain truth of the matter is as long as the US government is wholeheartedly backing Israel there's little that will change. Whilst the US continue to use their security council veto to block any UN initiatives regarding the illegal occupation of Palestine, it's business as usual in Tel Aviv.

In 400 years or so when Palestine and it's people are a footnote in the history books and all that remains is Israel, people will likely look back upon this whole sorry saga and those who perpetuated it with open mouthed incredulity.
Yeah, it's a long shot, but given their current strategy isn't really paying dividends I don't see a downside. They can always go back to earlier strategies if it doesn't work. I think if they were to do it now, after Israel has launched this attack under false pretences (or at the very least not waiting to establish actual guilt for the murders) it is as good a chance as they will have for some time.

GYODX

They're on this very page.

I'm inclined to wait for more evidence, given the IDF initially claimed the school attack was the result of a Hamas rocket having fallen short as well.

On the other hand, an Al Jazeera article I was reading mentioned that ~10% of rockets fail to make it out of Gaza.

Wouldn't be the first time people blamed Israel for something that was later revealed to be due to errant Palestinian rockets.

It's likely most people only heard of the first half of this incident. The update wasn't reported on as widely, for some strange reason.

Toxi

Banned
Wouldn't be the first time people blamed Israel for something that was later revealed to be due to errant Palestinian rockets.

It's likely most people only heard of the first half of this incident. The update wasn't reported on as widely, for some strange reason.
Man, that anti-Israel bias in the media really sucks. It's not like the IDF were just caught lying about catching a refugee camp a few days ago, we just really hate Israel and love the Allah-worshipping NBC news.

squidyj

What is the appropriate amount of attention and emotional attachment this conflict should receive? How will I know when I've reached my daily quota of caring?

How many "Bashar Al-Assad is a terrible terrible person"s do I have to say before I've refilled my Palestine Caring Meter?

oh god it's a mobile game :l

nib95

Banned
Man, that anti-Israel bias in the media really sucks. It's not like the IDF were just caught lying about catching a refugee camp a few days ago, we just really hate Israel and love the Allah-worshipping NBC news.

Or lying about those two innocent Palestinian teens who were caught being shot on camera by the IDF, despite claims the video was falsely edited and that they never used live rounds. Or that Hamas were behind the kidnapping of those three Israel's that was the basis for this violence, that Israeli police themselves said was not at the hands of Hamas, that has led to the murder of well over a thousand Palestinians, mostly civilians.

IDF lies are caught and exposed all the damn time. I can't speak for global media bias, but in the US the bias is order of magnitude in favour of Israel, and that is evidenced even in statistical analysis.

GYODX

You are aware that this is the very incident I was talking about when I mentioned an Italian reporter's tweets that corroborate Israel's account, right?

Cromat

Do you deny that people care about this conflict more than any other in the world, by far? Because that's backed up by numbers. You need not look farther than this thread and the many others posted in the last couple of weeks.

Now if you say that it doesn't matter that it gets more attention than anything else then I will respectfully disagree. If, for example, the population and media in a certain country focuses specifically on crimes perpetrated by immigrants, then it definitely does matter even if the crimes by the immigrants are all true. It is an expression of an anti-immigrant sentiment. This is simply undeniable.

It also matters for two other reasons:

1. It diverts international attention and resources from other crisis zones. More people have died in Syria and Iraq (each of them, not combined) in the same time period. People were decapitated by ISIS. Christians are being ethnically cleansed from countries that they have inhabited for millennia. Libya has ceased to exist as a sovereign nation. No one protested, no one reported, no one cared. This matters.

2. The fact that everyone has a strong opinion and this much emotional involvement for both sides, has in my opinion distanced the solution, not made it closer. France, Turkey, Qatar, Egypt, the United States, Iran, the European Union, the UN - everyone constantly takes part in this conflict. Without this kind of irrational attachment, Israel could not have justified and sustained controlling the West Bank. Similarly, Hamas could not have used dead civilians to rack up points in world opinion of it weren't for the fact that people around the world constantly absolve it from any responsibility and accountability towards the people of Gaza and their welfare.

So yes, it is completely relevant and it matters a lot. People die because people obsess about this conflict and become so bound to one side that they cannot even rationally examine any contrary opinion or point of view. An Arab killed by a Jew or vice versa makes people angrier than a thousand people killed brutally in other places. This begs an explanation, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom