• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

So Love is pretty much a Celtic right?
Nobody can offer as much as they are...
A bunch of first round picks and Sullinger is tough to beat.

I'm a bigger fan of Randle than LaVine and Gordon lol.

Guys like Randle scare me. Too boom or bust. If he overcomes his size/athleticism issues and becomes a smaller Zack Randolph or maybe a prime Boozer or something, that's great (I guess) but if he doesn't what is he? A rotation player who can't score consistently and probably can't defend. I'm really big on Gordon. I think his ceiling is a prime Shawn Marion if he can work on his outside shot. That's not a franchise player but that's still hugely valuable. And if he doesn't reach his ceiling his floor IMO is still an impact starter due to his athleticism and versatility. I look around the league and I see athletes, athletes everywhere. Guys who can play multiple positions and guard multiple positions. Guys who can slash and get to the rim and free up shooters. Even the old man Spurs made it as far as they did because they drafted an athletic freak with huge hands and coached his ass up. I'll take a prospect like that versus a guy who might be a little more polished (against college competition) but has a lower ceiling.

Sandfox

Guys like Randle scare me. Too boom or bust. If he overcomes his size/athleticism issues and becomes a smaller Zack Randolph or maybe a prime Boozer or something, that's great (I guess) but if he doesn't what is he? A rotation player who can't score consistently and probably can't defend. I'm really big on Gordon. I think his ceiling is a prime Shawn Marion if he can work on his outside shot. That's not a franchise player but that's still hugely valuable. And if he doesn't reach his ceiling his floor IMO is still an impact starter due to his athleticism and versatility. I look around the league and I see athletes, athletes everywhere. Guys who can play multiple positions and guard multiple positions. Guys who can slash and get to the rim and free up shooters. Even the old man Spurs made it as far as they did because they drafted an athletic freak with huge hands and coached his ass up. I'll take a prospect like that versus a guy who might be a little more polished (against college competition) but has a lower ceiling.

Randle isn't exactly unathletic and he lost some weight so he might end up going back to his high school form which had a good amount of athleticism and explosion. I'm also expecting him to work on his jump shot and improve his 3 point shooting in addition to improving the decisions he makes on defense.

I don't have a problem with Gordon because I expect him to work on his jump shot(his ft shooting is horrendous though), I just have Randle a spot above him on my big board. I regards to LaVine, he has some major issues in his game and I think 7th is too early for a player that could very well never get it going.

effzee

My free agent wish list. Young and cheap bench players that can help the big 3

Shaun Livingston
Jodie Meeks
Jordan Hill
Emeka Okafor
DJ Augustin
Lil Nate

Chalmers, Birdman, Beasley, and Ray Allen are probably gone. Battier is retiring.

All of this goes out the window though if Lebron, Wade, and Bosh all opt out to help get Melo/go elsewhere

Chalmers I get and Ray Allen might call it quits even though he can still come off the bench and shoot lights out, but why not bring back Beasley and Birdman?

Birdman was hurt in the finals and never looked right like we are accustomed to. And Beasley is instant offense which this team needed and will need with Wade falling off the cliff.

I think Miami would be better off keeping the big 3 without Melo, getting better role players that fit for defense and 3 pointhe shooting, and count on the taste of this loss in the finals to propel them again. In place of Melo they can sign 2-3 good bench depth.

Blablurn

edYnXOp.jpg

Fjordson

I am biased because I'm a UK fan, but Randle was a fucking beast last year. Not saying he should be picked ahead of say Wiggins or Parker or Embiid, but tbh he produced the entire year and didn't shit the bed against mediocre competition like those guys. He basically was treated like Shaq by other teams inside, or they would play a zone and just camp three guys around him, yet he still led the whole damn nation in double doubles.

Aaron Gordon I like a lot, but his offense is trash away from the rim. Randle isn't exactly Dirk away either, but he has more of a jumper than Gordon. Calipari just didn't feature it that well. And he can hit his free throws. Shot over 70% for the season and sealed a few big wins for us in the tourney. Gordon is a travesty at the line, shot sub 40%.

Lavine, I have no idea about really. He came off the bench on a mediocre UCLA team that I didn't see much of. I know he's super athletic, but he doesn't seem to finish through contact well and has a suspect 3 ball.

Bowser

I like Randle and if he drops to 9 I'd want to the Hornets to pick him, but I won't lie, I can see him turning out to be Thomas Robinson 2.0.

I like Randle and if he drops to 9 I'd want to the Hornets to pick him, but I won't lie, I can see him turning out to be Thomas Robinson 2.0.

He has no right hand.

His game is gonna need major work for him to not be a bench player his whole career.

Subitai

Other teams can offer better players and future picks so its not exactly set in stone.
Why would anyone offer more though? I don't know what the Wolves are waiting on when they could be figuring out how to make the most of those picks they'd get.

How about Lowry? ;)
Man i would want lowry but hes gonna be expensive as heck next season. He's probably asking for at least $11mil a year.

I want Bledsoe too. I just found out he and bron have same agent. Maybe that could lead him to miami. But yeah even him is gonna get paid.

Geting an ariza caliber FA will be good enough for me.

Sandfox

Why would anyone offer more though? I don't know what the Wolves are waiting on when they could be figuring out how to make the most of those picks they'd get.

According to new reports the Warriors, Bulls, and Nuggets have all offered better deals lol.

According to new reports the Warriors, Bulls, and Nuggets have all offered better deals lol.

I don't know how reliable those reports are...

The Warriors won't give up Klay Thompson.
The Bulls are focused on Melo.
The Nuggets 11th pick is worse than the Celtics 6th.

Melo and Amare for Noah and Boozer straight up.

Oh plus cash and some first round picks pls

Sandfox

A lot of those teams are probably willing to give up future picks and anyone on their roster outside of one player. The Celtics giving up picks is nice but the Timberwolves might want good players as well.

Heard reports the Knicks are interested in going after Patty Mills. All I can say is Jackson and Fish better stay away from Mills!

iamblades

Wat?

He had the same vert numbers in the combine as Blake and Amare, and his size is NBA average for PFs.

His standing reach and wingspan may be a little low, but not as low as was rumored.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...14-measurements-analysis-and-draft-projection

I think the key to Randle is going to be how quickly he develops a counter move against the increased interior defense in the NBA, and how quickly he develops a reliable jump shot. He clearly has the physical ability though, and even if all that translates is his rebounding and his driving skills, he will be an asset in the NBA.

jbug617

Banned
Boston writer on Denver's offer for Love

@SteveBHoop: Sources: in addition to Wilson Chandler and Kenneth Faried, Denver offering Minnesota a player they would acquire (Arron Afflalo) for Love.

Bulpett is the one who came out today and said the Wolves have stronger offers than the Boston one. The Nuggets would probably trade the #11 pick for Afflalo.

What if the Lakers go all out and bring Lebron & Carmelo?

West say hello to the new big 3

LeBron should say, "Fuck the money", tell the league that he has more than enough revenue streams (through his various endorsements) and for the next 5 years, he will be taking on a $1 a year salary, allowing him to be a mercenary for hire for a different team, every year, regardless of their cap situation. Fuck South Beach...why think small...take your talents wherever the fuck you want to go.

Only player that could bring a chip to potentially 5 different cities in 5 years. Loved by several towns for helping them chip.

He would effectively break the league. THAT would be some shit that would make me say...wow.

Cloudy

Banned
Would really love to see the Lakers get Patty Mills. What a gamer

Of course a healthy Kobe doesn't make a damn bit of difference for the Lakers chances, contrast to Rose.

Healthy Kobe = playoffs

Bowser

Hornets unis unveiled:

nV7cE6B.jpg

...I'm kinda meh on them at first glance. Wish they stuck with a modern version of the classic pinstripes look.

jbug617

Banned
Embiid has a foot injury and not going to workout for any more teams. I wonder if he falls because of this and the back.

spyder_ur

See I feel almost the exact opposite - that I know mostly what I am getting from Randle. I'm about 90% sure he can contribute as a starter or valuable bench guy in the NBA. Quite simply he showed me he can play.

I don't mind Gordon either and your points on athleticism are totally true. Also, if it was known that Gordon would have the same career as Shawn Marion, he'd be a top 3 pick. Marion has a fascinating Basketball Reference page, by the way. Marion was never a knock down shooter, but he's in a different league than Gordon at this point. I like what I hear about Gordon's focus and work ethic on that.

I'd be pretty happy with either on the Celts, which is probably the most likely scenario.

spyder_ur

Embiid has a foot injury and not going to workout for any more teams. I wonder if he falls because of this and the back.

Wow, that's huge. Drafting a big man early with even a trace of back or foot problems is terrifying, and now Embiid has both.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Hornets unis unveiled:

nV7cE6B.jpg

...I'm kinda meh on them at first glance. Wish they stuck with a modern version of the classic pinstripes look.

Huh... I kind of like them. Simple but the colors are vibrant.

Wow, that's huge. Drafting a big man early with even a trace of back or foot problems is terrifying, and now Embiid has both.
If this guarantees that he'd also be out of shape by the time the season comes around then that's just the kind of player that Cavs will take.

Pimpwerx

Hey. Anyone got a synopsis of the Riley presser? I only caught a portion of it, but from the sound of it, he was saying, "Calm the fuck down. I got this." Did I get that right? PEACE.

Jag

Hey. Anyone got a synopsis of the Riley presser? I only caught a portion of it, but from the sound of it, he was saying, "Calm the fuck down. I got this." Did I get that right? PEACE.

Pretty much.

"We will find out what we're made of here. It's not about options, it's not about free agency, it's not about anything. It's about what we have built over four years here and we have a chance to do something significant. But losing is just as much a part of it as winning is. When you're a team, you deal with it.

"There is no hugging, and there is no high-fiving. There's just looking around the room now and finding out who's going to stand up. This is time that you go home and take care of yourself and look at yourself and what are you going to do to come back and make the team better? We have a tremendous opportunity here for long term success but don't think we're not going to be beat again.

"So just get a grip, everybody. That's my message, and that's my message to the players also."

Top Bottom