• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

Good for GS if true, Klay never gonna being more than above average player.

He's been our best defender all year. In the second half of the season, he developed a more consistent offense (drives to the rim and some post play). I blame Klay's inefficiencies on offense due to the fact that he has to guard the opposing team's best backcourt player every night.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
If the warriors get K love and Minny's pick they are officially Laker trade status in my eyes.

On the flip Rubio and Klay could be a really interesting back court

It's a hilariously dumb trade. Klay won't even re up with them so you will be trading Love and Martin for David Lee...

qSMctrG.png

I didn't say it was a good trade for Minny...just that they'd be fun to watch.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Hornets unis unveiled:

nV7cE6B.jpg

...I'm kinda meh on them at first glance. Wish they stuck with a modern version of the classic pinstripes look.

At least they didn't go with the Alexander Julian argyles. Not bad. The purple tho..thats purple drank purple

"This stuff is hard. And you got to stay together, if you've got the guts. And you don't find the first door and run out of it"

Damn, people who are sure Lebron is staying must be sweatin a lil

If I'm the Warriors GM and I can get Love by trading Thompson, I'm driving Klay's ass to the airport myself. Klay is a very good 2 way player but if you are going to lock a ton of money into a core group anyway, Steph/Love/Bogut/Iggy makes more sense than Steph/Klay/Bogut/Iggy every day of the week. Not sure what the hold up would be. Klay seems like one of those guys who is nice, but will start to look really overrated on a max deal.

Bread

Banned
Klay on a max is lolworthy, the Warriors better take that deal if it's on the table.

I'm kind of feeling like the Celtics should just build up the team with the assets they have, with that many first round picks over the next few years, they're bound to hit on some guys. As long as they don't overpay Bradley, I'd be ok with a quiet offseason with no big trades.

Fjordson

aqkOVo.gif

He's been our best defender all year. In the second half of the season, he developed a more consistent offense (drives to the rim and some post play). I blame Klay's inefficiencies on offense due to the fact that he has to guard the opposing team's best backcourt player every night.
Yeah, Klay is much more than an average player. It will suck losing him if this happens. Worth it for Love, but the team will miss him.

"This stuff is hard. And you got to stay together, if you've got the guts. And you don't find the first door and run out of it"

I'm kinda shocked he made those comments. Half that damn conference was him talking to Lebron through the media, I would have thought their relationship would be better than that

Seeing Pat Riley you could tell the writing was on the wall. The big 3 are disbanding.

Not gonna lie, that's almost how it sounded to me too. I think even him has no idea what Brons plans are. It felt like he was saying it to Bron w/o reallsaying it to him.

Jerry West on Pop
“I’ve never seen a better coach than Gregg Popovich. He does less than more. But having said that, when he gets less, he develops it into something really good. They have a great development program down there.

“For a coach coming into this league, if they don’t hire people who are really competent, to take these young kids who haven’t made it somewhere but have talent and build a system they can prosper in, but more importantly to get these kids shoot the ball. When they got Kawhi Leonard, he was not a shooter. It tells you the significance of what they’ve done internally to improve their team.”

If Phil has no 11 rings as a coach, Pop would be my greatest coach in NBA history. I doubt Phil can even make it out of west with this roster Pop just coached to championship.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The best part about the Wolves trading Kevin Love to the Warriors will be watching Love & Steph Curry play together. Just a little extra salt in the wound. Jesus fucking christ.

Oddly enough if his players listened to his own advice years ago, 2 of the "big 3" wouldn't be there.

So let's say we get Love/Martin. What would the lineup look like? Would we have Martin score off the bench or start?

You'd have to get a shooting guard /sf that can actually play defense when Igoudala is tired (or out due to injury.

I'm in the minority that thinks

1) Kevin Love ain't going to be a Warrior
2) The Warriors are a better team if they work on depth and extending Klay for 10 million per year instead of getting Kevin Love

Hell, I'd rather just have Shawn Livingston and a serviceable PF to come of the bench.

O'Neil and Steve Blake aren't coming back...so you've gotta replace them with someone regardless.

Henrich or Livingston, plus a big...off season done.

The TWolves should just keep Kevin Love. No trade they make will get them anywhere near equal value in return, and he and the organization owe it to their fans to stick it out and try and have a memorable season
before he leaves to the Lakers as a free agent in 2015

You'd have to get a shooting guard /sf that can actually play defense when Igoudala is tired (or out due to injury.

I'm in the minority that thinks

1) Kevin Love ain't going to be a Warrior
2) The Warriors are a better team if they work on depth and extending Klay for 10 million per year instead of getting Kevin Love

Hell, I'd rather just have Shawn Livingston and a serviceable PF to come of the bench.

O'Neil and Steve Blake aren't coming back...so you've gotta replace them with someone regardless.

Henrich or Livingston, plus a big...off season done.

No way. No effin way. For one Klay will probably want a max otherwise they will have an other OKC/Harden situation on their hands. Secondly if you can replace Klay in that core group (with Steph, Iggy and Bogut) you are a better team by any conceivable metric. Either way they are going to be capped out, so it's not like keeping Klay instead at max or near max money will free up space to sign another big piece. As nice as Klay is, he's not going to be a franchise 2guard. Any gm in the league would take Love over Klay.

Uh...Minnesota too?

Again, why would MINNESOTA do the deal?

They are going to lose him anyway and there is this weird stigma fans have about not losing their star player for "nothing" by letting him walk. If you are going to blow it up anyway I guess I could see why Minny wouldn't just take the slim chance that they can somehow pull a Portland next season. I don't see what a max money Klay does for a team in rebuild mode though. He strikes me as more of a complementary piece on a good team than a guy a bad team builds around.

They are going to lose him anyway and there is this weird stigma fans have about not losing their star player for "nothing" by letting him walk. If you are going to blow it up anyway I guess I could see why Minny wouldn't just take the slim chance that they can somehow pull a Portland next season. I don't see what a max money Klay does for a team in rebuild mode though. He strikes me as more of a complementary piece on a good team than a guy a bad team builds around.

This is exactly what he is.

Fjordson

So let's say we get Love/Martin. What would the lineup look like? Would we have Martin score off the bench or start?
That's a good question. I guess we would start Martin if we got him? Don't really have any other dependable guards to start.

Like Ninja says i'd take that deal and run like hell with it if I was GSW.
Oh I agree, we should absolutely make that deal if it's available. Just feel the need to stick up for brother Klay. I think he's a lot better than people give him credit for.

For some reason I doubt it'll happen, though. Seems too good to be true.

jbug617

Banned
If the Celtics don't get Love they will probably blow it up. Bulpett says they already have someone to trade Jeff Green to and Rondo would be next.

Bowser

I really wish there was a way Charlotte could get Klay. He would be perfect for this team. A starting 5 of Kemba/Klay/MKG/McBob/Jefferson is a top 4 East team, easily.

le sigh.

Jonm1010

Banned
Not gonna lie, that's almost how it sounded to me too. I think even him has no idea what Brons plans are. It felt like he was saying it to Bron w/o reallsaying it to him.

Jerry West on Pop

If Phil has no 11 rings as a coach, Pop would be my greatest coach in NBA history. I doubt Phil can even make it out of west with this roster Pop just coached to championship.

Honestly ask me right now who I would want as my head coach for a ten year span, assuming both are in their prime and I probably would prefer Pop. It would be a hard choice but that would probably be my choice.

He has just done so much with so much less.

xnipx

I really wish there was a way Charlotte could get Klay. He would be perfect for this team. A starting 5 of Kemba/Klay/MKG/McBob/Jefferson is a top 4 East team, easily.

le sigh.

3way your first round pick for Klay. GSW gets Love. Minny gets the pick and Lee.

Bowser

3way your first round pick for Klay. GSW gets Love. Minny gets the pick and Lee.

9 and Lee won't get it done for Minny IMO. Although I don't mind throwing in Hendo and #24 as well. I'd even throw in Zeller honestly.

GSW: Love
MINN: #9, #24, Hendo, Zeller, Lee
CHA: Klay

Wolves wouldn't get a much better return that that right? Unless they're dead set on Klay. If I'm the Hornets I jump all over that deal.

edit: Can't include picks in the trade machine, but:

tRhGVkW.jpg

le sigh.

You sound serious. Bobcats are not winning 50 games no time soon.

Also, Klay isn't coming to the East and avg 25ppg.

Bowser

You sound serious. Bobcats are not winning 50 games no time soon.

Also, Klay isn't coming to the East and avg 25ppg.

lol we won 43 games this past season. What team, besides Miami, Indiana, and Chicago, would be clearly better than the Hornets with Klay?

Toronto? We swept them last year (4-0) without a real shooting threat
Brooklyn? Old and busted.
Washington? Decent, but Kemba/Klay/Big Al is better than Wall/Beal/Gortat

The Hornets at status quo are the 6th best team in the East at worst. Adding an impact scorer like Klay would easily vault us into a 4th seed and depending what happens with Indiana and Stepheson, could be top 3.

Tom Penny

Why are people so enamored with Klay and his 14 per. It's not like he some go to scorer who creates his own shots slashes and get to the line. He a jump shooter who plays above average D.

Why are people so enamored with Klay and his 14 per. It's not like he some go to scorer who creates his own shots slashes and get to the line. He a jump shooter who plays above average D.

Dearth of 2guarda seems to inflate the value of the ones that are there. Same shit with Eric Gordon a few years back. I don't get the idea of trading your franchise player for a good but not elite guy you are going to have to max out in a year anyway. That's doesn't seem to be a smart play for a team that is rebuilding. What's your ceiling there? A 7th or 8th seed in a couple of years. A team like Minny should be bottoming out and trying to land a superstar via the draft. In this scenario the Celts package might be the best and shit, if they are that hard up for a 2guard sign Lance for less money than what Klay would get and he'd probably be nearly as effective.

Bowser

Dearth of 2guarda seems to inflate the value of the ones that are there. Same shit with Eric Gordon a few years back. I don't get the idea of trading your franchise player for a good but not elite guy you are going to have to max out in a year anyway. That's doesn't seem to be a smart play for a team that is rebuilding. What's your ceiling there? A 7th or 8th seed in a couple of years. A team like Minny should be bottoming out and trying to land a superstar via the draft. In this scenario the Celts package might be the best and shit, if they are that hard up for a 2guard sign Lance for less money than what Klay would get and he'd probably be nearly as effective.

In reality I think this is what's going to happen with CHA. I think they will be aggressive in going after Lance. I don't necessarily agree with that approach, but overpaying Lance (4 years, at something like $11m per) and drafting a deadeye shooter like McDermott/Stauskas (or trading back a couple of spots and targeting a guy like Hairston) to come off the bench probably makes us fairly competitive in the East.

Or maybe we target Affalo...#9, #24, Henderson for #12 and Affalo may get it done, especially if a guy like Smart or Randle unexpectedly falls...

Tom Penny

I think the Wolves have been so bad at drafting and have missed the playoffs for like a decade so they are desperate and Saunders thinks Klay and Lee aren't a massive downgrade. Even if it isn't they aren't doing any damage in the West. Secondly if Klay leaves you did all that for David Lee.

I'd rather have Lance (provably for way less money too) as a FA than give up assets for Klay. For a shit team like Minny that needs a rebuild, a ton of draft picks + Lance as a FA (if they really want a guard to pair with Rubio in the mean time) seems like a better option than a soon to be maxed out Klay and filler. The Boston offer isn't that great and they would he getting low value in return for one of the best players in the league, but it does seem like the best offer of the bunch

I think the Wolves have been so bad at drafting and have missed the playoffs for like a decade so they are desperate and Saunders thinks Klay and Lee aren't a massive downgrade. Even if it isn't they aren't doing any damage in the West. Secondly if Klay leaves you did all that for David Lee.

This is what happens when you hire and boring old retread as HC and give him full autonomy.

lol we won 43 games this past season. What team, besides Miami, Indiana, and Chicago, would be clearly better than the Hornets with Klay?

Toronto? We swept them last year (4-0) without a real shooting threat
Brooklyn? Old and busted.
Washington? Decent, but Kemba/Klay/Big Al is better than Wall/Beal/Gortat

The Hornets at status quo are the 6th best team in the East at worst. Adding an impact scorer like Klay would easily vault us into a 4th seed and depending what happens with Indiana and Stepheson, could be top 3.

Gonna need to go like 20-10 vs the West in order to get 50 wins. To be a top 3-4 seed.

I'd rather have Lance (provably for way less money too) as a FA than give up assets for Klay. For a shit team like Minny that needs a rebuild, a ton of draft picks + Lance as a FA (if they really want a guard to pair with Rubio in the mean time) seems like a better option than a soon to be maxed out Klay and filler. The Boston offer isn't that great and they would he getting low value in return for one of the best players in the league, but it does seem like the best offer of the bunch

This is what happens when you hire and boring old retread as HC and give him full autonomy.

Lets not go crazy. Wolves have a solid NBA starting line up.

They need some spark plugs off the bench. And Rubio needs to hit a jumper every once in awhile.

Bowser

Gonna need to go like 20-10 vs the West in order to get 50 wins. To be a top 3-4 seed.

Chicago and Toronto won 48 games to be 3-4, Washington 44 to be 5.

We were 13-17 vs the West last year with several heartbreakers. If we upgrade at SG with a legitimate threat (be it Klay, Stephenson, Afflalo, or Hayward), I think we could easily go .500 vs the West and at least .650 vs the East. That translates to 49 wins.

I know everyone's like "lol Charlotte didn't they win like 7 games 2 years ago??", but we're really not that far away from 48+ wins. Al was injured the first month of the season. When everyone was healthy, Charlotte put up a 20-9 record post All Star break. We have ample cap room, two first round picks, and an owner who is hell bent on making a splash this offseason.

Top Bottom