• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

That, although KG took 12 seasons to get there.

Unless there's a drastic CBA change, it's probably minimum 8, likely 9 before Wiggins could leave Minnesota. They'll have him locked up for the first 4 years, they're highly likely to get him to sign a contract extension that would kick in after year 4 rather than him risk injury while trying to become unrestricted (after year 5), and if that's 5 years, then it would only be after year 8 (after year 4 of the extension) that he would potentially be traded if it's clear he won't resign.

There's also a decent chance Wiggins likes playing in Minnesota. He doesn't have a huge attention-seeking personality, at least not yet, so he likely won't feel the need to play in a huge media market. And Wiggins grew up in Ontario, so the winter climate won't be as shocking to him as it was to a California boy like Love.

But we're really putting the cart before the horse here, anyway. The kid still needs to prove he's a star before we care about whether he stays or goes.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Between Heat and Cavs, idk who wins in 7 game series.. Leaning towards it could be Heat though I wanna see rejuvinated Wade and 1st option Bosh first. And that Cavs defense is gonna be ass cheeks, bench is meh too. If Bron takes a breather whats on court is an even worse defensive team.

Heat probably win in a 7 game series. More experience. Maybe in a few years Cavs would take them.

Bowser

Heat probably win in a 7 game series. More experience. Maybe in a few years Cavs would take them.

cUe6r8B.gif

Most teams in the East (aside from Miami and Indiana) got better, but not so much better that it's going to outpace the Cavs' improvement on both ends of the floor.

Adding Lebron James does help with defense but, that still does not make up for how bad Kyrie and Love are on defense. The Bulls however were a playoff Team without Rose and added him Pau and a few other players. The Bulls also have a more experienced team and a better coach.

while the Cavs could very well make it to the Finals this year I just don't see them clicking enough to get past some of the defenses in the east. the Bulls, Hornets, Wizards, and Raptors are going to give the Cavs some trouble. their team is stacked right now, no doubt, I just don't think it's going to be anywhere close to a cakewalk to the Finals for them this season.

I agree with you the Cavs will not have a cakewalk to the finals. People must have really short term memories. Look how hard it was for the Heat to win a championship and he will not have a player as good as or experienced as Wade to lean on.
I think a lot of people just look at the Heat from this season and go lol Lebron carried them to four finals in a row and two championships it should be easy for him to get Cleveland their with two younger players who are comparably as good as Wade and Bosh. It does not work like that the Heat had a 27 game win streak the second longest in NBA history the season they won their second championship and were taken to the absolute limit by both the Pacers and Spurs in the playoffs and lost a game to the Bulls who were down two of their starters and Joakim Noah playing with one leg.

Man fuck Dan Gilbert. Bitches about parity when CP3 gets traded to the Lakers and gets that nixed then gets 3 #1 picks in 4 years and forms a superteam of irving, love and lebron. Even though I know they can't the Lakers should try and make a show of getting this blocked for Basketball reasons.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 3m
Durant, I'm told, will cite mental and physical exhaustion when the decision to leave Team USA for this summer is made official

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 6m
Hearing Kevin Durant is poised to announce his withdrawal from Team USA's World Cup trip to Spain. NOT Paul George related, I'm told

Pencil in the bronze for Team USA.

Guys who goes deep into the playsoffs every year shouldnt be going to these anyway. Thats too much basketball in your body when you should be resting. Olympics should be their only international basketball priority and thats it.

Whos next to go after kd? Rose? I think rose will go out too.

Guys who goes deep into the playsoffs every year shouldnt be going to these anyway. Thats too much basketball in your body when you should be resting. Olympics should be their only international basketball priority and thats it.

Whos next to go after kd? Rose? I think rose will go out too.

Rose aint quitting.

He needs the time on the court against competition or he'll be shit come regular season like he was last time around.

You or someone else posted that Paul George's injury would affect Derrick and that's nonsense, he's not scared, he's at a good place and it'd be pointless for him to start this and then just end it like that.

BadAss2961

Rose aint quitting.

He needs the time on the court against competition or he'll be shit come regular season like he was last time around.

You or someone else posted that Paul George's injury would affect Derrick and that's nonsense, he's not scared, he's at a good place and it'd be pointless for him to start this and then just end it like that.
He won't, but part of me wants him to. Without KD, Rose suddenly has a much bigger load to carry than before.

Even with KD, I thought this roster was pretty half-assed.

Team USA is descending back into pre-2004 mode, where the best players for a variety of reasons find ways not to play. It will probably continue like this, perhaps not in 2016, but in 2018 and beyond until the USA is embarrassed and the cycle begins anew. That, or they go 22-and-under and it doesn't make a difference.

He won't, but part of me wants him to. Without KD, Rose suddenly has a much bigger load to carry than before.

Even with KD, I thought this roster was pretty half-assed.

I want him to play.

If he gets injured, I'd say the same thing as those things happen.

He needs to get acclimated back into real basketball or he'll have many moments like the start of the last season where he misses layups and even more gloomy looks like he is playing with stiff stilts for legs(against the Pacers, maybe preseason, he looked awkward).

Yeah, it's a risk but I think if he makes it through this, it will do wonders for him physically and mentally.

He's not going to get this in practice or training camp.

Rose aint quitting.

Thats a great point. He's been on rehab for too long. i take back what i said Bout him quirting he needs minutes lol.

But man KD, mental and physical exhaution? Too vague.. At least he isnt bullshitting injuries or something.

BadAss2961

I want him to play.

If he gets injured, I'd say the same thing as those things happen.

He needs to get acclimated back into real basketball or he'll have many moments like the start of the last season where he misses layups and even more gloomy looks like he is playing with stiff stilts for legs(against the Pacers, maybe preseason, he looked awkward).

Yeah, it's a risk but I think if he makes it through this, it will do wonders for him physically and mentally.

He's not going to get this in practice or training camp.
The regular season can whip him into shape. Even then, I want lighter minutes for him throughout. It's all about the playoffs.

The only thing that gives me hope now is the last time Rose came back from Team USA, he was a beast. But again, this team isn't as good as that one now.

The regular season can whip him into shape. Even then, I want lighter minutes for him throughout. It's all about the playoffs.

The only thing that gives me hope now is the last time Rose came back from Team USA, he was a beast. But again, this team isn't as good as that one now.

I think if he dies, it's going to be because of Thibodeau, not Coach K.

Anything can happen but listen, jackass Thibs(such a great coach in ways and an inept one in others): You have depth in many positions including pointguard, manage your fucking players.

Yes, even Jimmy Butler is human and doesn't have to play whole games.

Fjordson

Steph Curry admits doubts about USA basketball

“I had some doubts when I left Vegas as to the risk that you take when you play USA Basketball, but at the end of the day, we made a commitment to play, and any time we play basketball, that’s a risk we take,” Curry said.

“We’re committed. For now we’re going go out there and win the gold for Paul and do our thing over in Spain, but I haven’t really thought about two years from now because I guess everybody has to make a decision based on where they are when that time comes.”

This is a bummer. Have a feeling USA basketball will hit a real decline now. Not that I blame anyone who backs out for doing so because of the obvious risks, but it's been fun watching the best of the best play internationally.

Adding Lebron James does help with defense but, that still does not make up for how bad Kyrie and Love are on defense.

I have Love's Synergy stats right in front of me, he's average on that end at worst (and even average is better than what they've had lately at the 4)

Kyrie's All-No-Defense 1st team tier at this point, though.

The Bulls however were a playoff Team without Rose and added him Pau and a few other players. The Bulls also have a more experienced team and a better coach.

The Bulls' road to the 1 seed rests mostly on a chronically-injured player not getting injured, so pardon me if I'm not exactly convinced about them.

It's going to be very interesting to see how Kyrie's game evolves this year. He's going to need to redefine himself, and step up on the defensive end. The Worlds, assuming he makes the team, might give a good glimpse at how he'll adjust to playing with players as good as (and better) than he is in games that matter (so All-Star appearances don't really count).

Piecake

I have Love's Synergy stats right in front of me, he's average on that end at worst (and even average is better than what they've had lately at the 4)

Kyrie's All-No-Defense 1st team tier at this point, though.

The Bulls' road to the 1 seed rests mostly on a chronically-injured player not getting injured, so pardon me if I'm not exactly convinced about them.

Love is a decent man defender and a terrible team defender. He sucks at defending the pick and roll and help defense. So yea, I think that equals to a below average defender, but he is not horrific like some people think.

Love is a decent man defender and a terrible team defender. He sucks at defending the pick and roll and help defense. So yea, I think that equals to a below average defender, but he is not horrific like some people think.

Yeah, he was something like 40th percentile in the league against PnRs last season, which is right at that line between "bad" and "average" (by Synergy's standards, anyway - let's just agree that it's bad).

Thompson was still even worse last year. (Though I'm not sure how much of that was Thompson and how much of that was Mike Brown.)

ESPN suspends Le Batard.

"Dan Le Batard will be off the air for two days, returning Monday," ESPN told Yahoo Sports in a statement. "His recent stunt does not reflect ESPN’s standards and brand. Additionally, we were not made aware of his plans in advance."

suspended for trolling an athlete? :mjlol

Bowser

Wolves will reportedly re-route Anthony Bennett to Philly for Thad Young: http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2...de-thad-young-to-twolves-for-anthony-bennett/

A source informed the Daily News that the Sixers will be sending veteran forward Thaddeus Young to Minnesota for a package that will include Bennett, the No. 1 pick in the 2013 NBA draft.

The deal, which two sources have confirmed to the Associated Press, will not be official until Aug. 23, when Wiggins, this year’s No. 1 draft pick, becomes eligible to be traded.

It has been reported that Minnesota sees Young as the right guy to fill Love’s shoes. The Timberwolves, it has been reported, could use the first-round pick they get from the Cavaliers to help entice the Sixers to part with the 26-year-old Young, but that has not been confirmed.

Rubio/LaVine/Wiggins/Young/Pekovic probably won't win a lot of games, but it's a promising young core...

suspended for trolling an athlete? :mjlol

Suspended for trolling LeBron. Dude is probably untouchable in Bristol considering the money ESPN makes broadcasting his games.

Wolves will reportedly re-route Anthony Bennett to Philly for Thad Young: http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2...de-thad-young-to-twolves-for-anthony-bennett/

Rubio/LaVine/Wiggins/Young/Pekovic probably won't win a lot of games, but it's a promising young core...

Meh. I would have blown the whole thing up if it was me. Tanked with Wiggins, Bennett, and LaVine as the young core going forward. But it's clear that Flip wants to compete now. Oh well, enjoy the pre-teens lottery pick you'll get out of this, Flip.

Meanwhile, as Team USA scrambles...

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 1m
Rudy Gay has been with USA Basketball in past and will replace Kevin Durant as 16th member of squad vying for one of final 12 FIBA WC spots

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 2m
Hearing Part II: Team USA has secured the services of Sacramento's Rudy Gay to join roster and compete for FIBA World Cup spot

Top Bottom