• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

60 FPS or Fidelity 30fps?

60FPS or 30FPS higher fidelity. What do you choose?

• 60FPS! I want that silky gameplay

Votes: 225 74.8%
  • 30FPS! I want full 4k with all the graphic enhancements!

Votes: 76 25.2%

• Total voters

//DEVIL//

after playing 144 frames... I cant even play 60 frames anymore..

I have COD coldwar on both PS5 and PC... of course its playable on PS5 but man... 140 frames is just flat out better. sadly I do not have a 120tv to play it like that on ps5.

T-Barbs

QTVgjoP.jpg

Toots

Gold Member
IF those are the options what is your choice?

Bioshock-Andrew-Ryan-Feature.jpeg

If those are your options, what is your choice indeed?
You have none.
Go play 4K 30fps for the "cinematic experience" says the man in Tokyo,
Go play 4K 120 fps but you'll have no games to play, says the man in Redmond.

I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different.
I chose the impossible. I chose... PC
A hardware where the gamer would not fear the frame dips
Where the graphic whore would not be bound by petty subpar components
Where the great would not be constrained by consoles.

And with the sweat of your brow (and an arm and leg), PC can be your platform as well

ANIMAL1975

Necessity is the mother of all invention.

If you target 60 as a foundation, you will push for more clever solutions to reach fidelity. Go with 30, you will be less disciplined than you could be.

60 needs to be the target this gen. The cpu imbalance off last gen for draw calls is no longer a factor.
My thoughts exactly, the other way around would be just switching things off until getting the frame time right... but my i change it a bit (assuming that you wasn't thinking this way, if you were i misunderstood):
60 is the game target and the base mode like you say _ and then port it to 30 fidelity mode. Everyone satisfied! I mean us 'console only' peasants starting to get accustomed to this new shiny world of main game modes.

PS5 games at 60fps performance mode seem PS4 Pro 2 games. 30fps quality modes is where next gen starts.
We feel you bro, we and Shmunter Shmunter are on it!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Now it's easy to say 60fps since we play all previous gen games on new consoles.
But if Demons Souls is an example nowadays - then 60fps for sure. The Image quality loss is just slightly blurry compared to native 4k

60 FPS all the way. 30 FPS is just so bad. Playing Valhalla with performance mode, it's so much better than Quality mode.

For those who might claim that stable 30 is better than fluctuating 60 (between 50-60 FPS), it's really not, there is that thing called VRR and it makes everything smooth.

How many people just can't really tell the difference?

If I am playing Demon's Souls on performance mode and switch to quality mode the framerate difference is immediately noticeable.

However, if I come back the next day to play RDR2 on PS5 then I wouldn't notice at all that it is not 60fps.

I just don't really notice unless I am switching from 30fps to 60fps and back directly. What's up with that?

Honestly I cannot tell the difference at all between Demons Souls quality mode and performance mode in terms of graphics. I just leave it on performance as I know I am objectively getting some improvement. With "quality" I am not even sure what's changed?

Might be because my TV is not the best the resolution or graphics quality modes are wasted on me?

Returnal seems to not have any options at all so I guess it runs at 60fps but not 4k?

60 FPS all the way. 30 FPS is just so bad. Playing Valhalla with performance mode, it's so much better than Quality mode.

For those who might claim that stable 30 is better than fluctuating 60 (between 50-60 FPS), it's really not, there is that thing called VRR and it makes everything smooth.
Isn't VRR only available on some TVs/monitors and not on others?

Not really an option for everyone.

You are making it sould like 60fps is better but only if you have the right screen. Otherwise 30fps might be better?

30fps for me if there's enhanced graphics/resolution. I sit pretty close to my 4K monitor, so when a game is only 1080p, it looks baaaaaaaaad. Like Shadow of the Tomb Raider look horrific at 1080p.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It all depends on the time of game, if FPS or racing and fast-paced game then 60fps with graphical sacrifices, if it's slower, 3rd PV then 30fps would work well.

For example if the sacrifices are big in Horizon FW for 60fps I would stick with 30fps, although I think it might not be the case and would still look very good with 60fps just like Performance RT on Spiderman games, assuming the game has any RT to begin with.

Rippa

It depends on the genre for me.

If given the option;
High frame rate mode for First-person (COD/Battlefield), sports and racing games.

Eye candy mode for most cinematic 3rd person action adventure games.

nkarafo

I love how 30fps usually comes with a fancy, marketable buzzword before it.

Most of the time it's "Cinematic". Now it's "Fidelity".

Because, how else can you sell that shit to people?

How else do you expect a real generational leap in graphics if frame rate doesn't take a hit?

PS5 right now is merely a PS4 Pro Pro. It's just playing last-gen and cross-gen games at 60fps. It's like getting a graphics-card upgrade for your PC and playing all your old games again. That's not what I call a new generation.

Can't wait until we see UE5 games with new tech such as Nanite and Lumen. That's the real game changer. Also, adding RT reflections to last gen games doesn't make it next gen either.

Whitecrow

Banned

How would you call 4k@30 fps VS 1440p@60fps if not fidelity?

Maybe it's time for you to go see a doctor and stop being an smartass who cant use the brain for once.

Last edited:

Maybe it's time for you to go see a doctor.
Isn't it crazy how different people prioritize different things? I go for maximum graphics. Even when I played on PC, I would often max out on resolution and graphics even if the framerate had to be lower.

Whitecrow

Banned
Isn't it crazy how different people prioritize different things? I go for maximum graphics. Even when I played on PC, I would often max out on resolution and graphics even if the framerate had to be lower.
For me obviously depends on the game.

FOr example, Sonic games are un playable at 30fps and it would be a bliss to play them at 120 or more.

A walking simulator like ND games where you are aiming for realism and tell a story (so there's more to it than just gameplay) 30 fps is great.

But yes, the problem is that people think that one is better than the other ALWAYS, and the purpose they serve and the context have no power in the decision.

Isn't VRR only available on some TVs/monitors and not on others?

Not really an option for everyone.

You are making it sould like 60fps is better but only if you have the right screen. Otherwise 30fps might be better?
Nah. Only instance 30 FPS can be a better option is if the game drops from 60 to 35-40 FPS area way too fast, which is unusual and a result of poor optimization.

As for the right screen thing, Freesync and Gsync has been a thing for many years now, Xbox One has been Freesync capable for a while, Series X supports both Freesync ve HDMI VRR. PS5 also theoretically supports HDMI VRR, it's only a matter of time they bring it in with a firmware update.

There's no reason to think that displays will not follow these devices, VRR will be a standard thing very soon and developers should just stop making 30 FPS games, it is inexcusable, especially now that they have the horse power required. Just target 60 FPS, let VRR do its thing.

Don't wanna talk like an expert cuz I'm not, but my 3 years old mid range TV (Samsung NU8000) supports Freesync, it should not be much of a rare feature now.

Great Hair

Banned
30fps = only if rock solid as in HZD. But this time, it better have path tracing or some shit, cuz shitty reflections alone ain´t worth it.
60fps = no brainer

I Have Spoken GIF by IMDb

nkarafo

How else do you expect a real generational leap in graphics if frame rate doesn't take a hit?
This is a new thing. When the PS2/GC/ΧΒΟΧ came along, both graphics and frame rate improved. There were no sacrifices.

Same with previous gens. All had 60fps as standard.

Wooxsvan

I always choose 60. In the games where there has been an option. the 30 mode graphical differences are so minor to me, it comes no where close to being worth it.

nkarafo

Maybe it's time for you to go see a doctor and stop being an smartass who cant use the brain for once.
If you think stuttering about at 30fps counts as "fidelity" maybe you should fix your brain.

This is a new thing. When the PS2/GC/ΧΒΟΧ came along, both graphics and frame rate improved. There were no sacrifices.

Same with previous gens. All had 60fps as standard.
It's impossible to have no sacrifices for a higher frame rate. There were sacrifices back then, you just didn't know what those sacrifices were. Frame rate always comes at a cost because there's no such thing as unlimited power.

Also, it goes the other way too. Fidelity comes at the cost of frame rate. The more stuff you cram into each frame, the longer it takes to render each frame.

Last edited:

nkarafo

It's impossible to have no sacrifices for a higher frame rate. There were sacrifices back then, you just didn't know what those sacrifices were. Frame rate always comes at a cost because there's no such thing as unlimited power.

Also, it goes the other way too. Fidelity comes at the cost of frame rate. The more stuff you cram into each frame, the longer it takes to render each frame.
There are no sacrifices if you make games from the ground up with 60fps in mind. How much better do you think Rogue Leader or Metroid Prime would look on the GC if those games were 30fps? They would be more detailed, sure, but by how much? These games are already some of the best looking GC games. And their smooth frame rate is a part of this.

Because smoothness is a part of the visual package. Unless you are playing a point & click adventure with static images, any moving image will look better if it moves smoother, without noticeable gaps between frames.

Do you remember 90's arcades? Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Scud Race, Virtua Fighter 2 and the like? Those games still look great because they move so gracefully. 60+fps made all of them age much better. Would you rather sacrifice the smoothness so you can have the models use more polys or have extra background details?

Last edited:

Everyone is excited about 60fps right now but let's be honest, there are only so many games running at 60fps now cause most are cross generation. It's easy to have higher framerates when you're playing games designed for the baseline system of 1.4tf.

Once developers finally that nonsense behind I'm willing to bet 30fps will become standard again.

Last edited:
Sheesh it's like 30 fps has activists working for it.

Their argument is always: I think 30 fps is fine, therefore so should you.
Maybe not so much "I think it's fine and so should you" but more "why are you so militant about 60fps".

At least for me anyway.

Unless somebody shows me the games running side by side I wouldn't often be able to tell the difference. I can definitely tell if I switch from 60 down to 30 in game but I could close down Sekiro at 60fps and start up Horizon at 30 and not be able to see that there's a difference. I feel the same about resolution but I don't sit so close to the screen so I don't know.

Played Dark Souls 3 on base PS4. It was absolutely choppy at times but generally just fine,enjoyable and playable. I heard I should play it on PS5 so, since there are so few new games I want, I installed it and played through again. It isn't choppy like on PS4 but it's not that spectacular or much of a big deal.

Then you read on here and people say stuff like 30fps would be a deal breaker. Just doesn't make sense to me.

If theres a reason devs are going with 30fps then I am pretty much OK with that. Though I was under the impression that this new generation would be 60fps at 4k all the way.

Top Bottom