• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A.J. Delgado: Nicki Minaj Is Worse for Young Girls' Morals Than Madonna Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuyejo

It also doesn't help that the song is horrible from a musical standpoint too, an all around piece of turd, an overproduced and over hyped turd though, enough to make it chart I guess.

Never really understood the fascination with her ass. It is fake. Fake. FAKE. FAAAAKE! This is undeniable, I really don't know how anyone can say otherwise, just look it up.

niki_minaj_plastic-surgery-before-and-after-photos.jpg
Because it still look nice tho...

Its the 11 to 14 year olds who's minds are getting fucked up.
This music has been around awhile (sex, drugs, violence) but now it isnt niche its mainstream.

Spending the 90's watching "party rap/hip hop" all day long and getting maybe 1 hour a day of NWA telling me to "Fuck the Police" was AMAZING...

Now...fucking NWA would play the Teen Choice Awards and MC Ren would get slimed.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
It is kinda lolworthy of her to diss smaller figure women, despite being one before changing it.

To be fair, smaller women have done the same for heavier women in much more abundance. And they probably always will.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I think Minaj is pretty ridiculous and not particularly talented as a rapper or performer, but the article is lol worthy. It also reminds us that every generation has some figure who is blamed for the inevitable downfall of the youth/civilization. Teen pregnancy is down, violence is down, murder is down...yeah.

B-b-but she has a fake ass.....

Honestly we as adults should all be smart enough to know

1. There will always be the next "worse ever"
2. This will only help nicki's career because kids love stuff their parents hate
3. That video was tame as hell compared to stuff just about anyone can find by typing a word or two into google.

G-Fex

Never really understood the fascination with her ass. It is fake. Fake. FAKE. FAAAAKE! This is undeniable, I really don't know how anyone can say otherwise, just look it up.

niki_minaj_plastic-surgery-before-and-after-photos.jpg

your theory is fake.

Just look at these pictures as proof. Not too much there but as she eventually leans forward from left to right you see what she's got going on.

Monocle

B-b-but she has a fake ass.....

Honestly we as adults should all be smart enough to know

1. There will always be the next "worse ever"
2. This will only help nicki's career because kids love stuff their parents hate
3. That video was tame as hell compared to stuff just about anyone can find by typing a word or two into google.
Let's ban Google. It's too easy to type "what is salad tossing" into a search box and get dirty instructions for how to do sin on somebody's no-no zone.

FiveEyes

Banned
Nope, he's plays bass guitar. Enjoys most rock and...god awful Dubstep lol.

And I'm sorry to say but if any of you have kids, pre-teens to be exact, this over sexual behavior is pretty common in middle/lower middle class from what Ive seen.

That moment when you realise you've become the old man yelling at clouds that you always used to laugh at.

If your daughter is dumb enough to see the Nicki Minaj video and want to start twerking in the school cafeteria half naked then there was a big problem way before Minaj got involved.
This is pretty close to true I believe. Media can certainly have a big affect on children, but the level of which is highly dependent on the parents and educational environment.

agrajag

Banned
Let's ban Google. It's too easy to type "what is salad tossing" into a search box and get dirty instructions for how to do sin on somebody's no-no zone.

True, we are on the verge of an e.coli epidemic. Won't someone think of the children??

aly

Yeah people would definitely be less interested in sex if Western society stopped reminding us that it exists. If only there were a way to repress people's natural impulses and convince them that sex is shameful...

I think the key is censorship and lack of education. Nobody would want to have sex if they had no idea what an attractive person looks like, and no clue how to go about it safely.
Meh, oversexualization in the media can be problem though.It doesn't necessarily mean its shameful.

To be fair, smaller women have done the same for heavier women in much more abundance. And they probably always will.

True, but the two wrongs and rights thing.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Seriously though I think - and this may just be me not knowing enough about the current mainstream rap/hip-hip industry - is there seems to be a lack of 'conscious' or 'political' or just non-sexual female mainstream artists to balance out all the over-sexualized ones.

Like before you had Lil Kim and Foxy Brown to a lesser extent someone like Aaliyah and whoever but you also also Queen Latifah, TLC, Erykah Badu, Missy Elliot, blah blah. Like what mainstream female hip-hip artists are the equivalent to those people today to counter Nicki Minaj or Rhiana or Iggy Izalea or whoever?

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

I mean why not? Somebody needs to think of the Children! Won't somebody think of the Children!

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Terrible influence imo. Should be doing more for the black community.

She is doing some impressive stunts to encourage black women. See her album cover and her response to the outrage. She's not naive to a lot of the negativity thrown her way for obvious reasons.

Koodo

Banned
In addition to this article being sensationalist, worthless tripe, let's talk about the inherent sexism:

Nicki getting singled out for mentioning drug use et al while her male peers throw more revolting filth on the regular and the public tries to peddle that as ART. This is nearly always done under the guise of but think of the children; despite the fact that, anyone that has gone through schooling will tell you that, little boys (and girls) listen to male artists spewing shit as well. Why does Nicki, or any female peer trying to assert control over their sexuality, get singled out as having some moral responsibility towards the youth of the world?

Get a fucking grip.

Valhelm

contribute something
It is kinda lolworthy of her to diss smaller figure women, despite being one before changing it.

Yeah, she's said some fucked up things concerning body image. But I don't think her having surgery should be any big shocker.

Nesotenso

Weren't there two little girls who became youtube sensations because of superbass? Anaconda is gonna be more problematic.

Shaanyboi

Banned
In addition to this article being sensationalist, worthless tripe, let's talk about the inherent sexism:

Nicki getting singled out for mentioning drug use et al while her male peers throw more revolting filth on the regular and the public tries to peddle that as ART.
This is nearly always done under the guise of but think of the children; despite the fact that, anyone that has gone through schooling will tell you that, little boys (and girls) listen to male artists spewing shit as well. Why does Nicki, or any female peer trying to assert control over their sexuality, get singled out as having some moral responsibility towards the youth of the world?

Get a fucking grip.

What if I think both her and her male counterparts suck?

All the little girls I know get their morals by analyzing Nicki Minaj's lyrics for life advice. You can't imagine how grateful their parents are. Raising kids is easier than ever thanks to Nicki Minaj!
As a Middle School teacher, I can say that these lyrics have a major effect on what kids think is cool. Really, the people who pretend pop culture has no effect on children need to open their eyes.

Blablurn

It's just another pop fad. No need to be so dramatic.

Damn. The older I get the harder I will try not to end up like those guys who claim that todays stuff is worse than the stuff from the past.

Monocle

Meh, oversexualization in the media can be problem though.It doesn't necessarily mean its shameful.
The way I see it, parents can raise mentally resilient people who can choose how to respond to what the world presents them, or they can raise naive individuals who remain children their whole lives, molded by every stray influence that lodges itself in their heads.

You can't fix the world by sanitizing popular media, but you can teach kids how to think for themselves. If Nicki Minaj's juicy rump is enough to drive a kid to promiscuity and drug abuse, their parents failed them.

As a Middle School teacher, I can say that these lyrics have a major effect on what kids think is cool. Really, the people who pretend pop culture has no effect on children need to open their eyes.
Pop culture certainly influences kids. It's part of a parent's job to make sure pop culture isn't the primary influence on their children's values.

Esch

Banned
Seriously though I think - and this may just be me not knowing enough about the current mainstream rap/hip-hip industry - is there seems to be a lack of 'conscious' or 'political' or just non-sexual female mainstream artists to balance out all the over-sexualized ones.

Like before you had Lil Kim and Foxy Brown to a lesser extent someone like Aaliyah and whoever but you also also Queen Latifah, TLC, Erykah Badu, Missy Elliot, blah blah. Like what mainstream female hip-hip artists are the equivalent to those people today to counter Nicki Minaj or Rhiana or Iggy Izalea or whoever?

Queen latifah non sexual? she's arguably an lgbt symbol.

I wanted to fuck every girl in TLC. They had plenty of shots in skimpy clothing. Here's an example (NSFW)

Half of missy elliott's biggest songs are about fucking. Get Your Freak on?

Erykah Badu is 'notorious' for boning her way around the rap game, more so than arguably any other female personality. and has actually gone full nude for a video.

What a dumb post, divorced from reality and facts.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Nicki isn't like some former child star. I don't think from day 1 she was supposed to be a role model. It's not like some Miley shit. You knew from the start what Nicki's lyrics were about.

also, y'know, Salt N Peppa.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Queen latifah non sexual? she's arguably an lgbt symbol.

I wanted to fuck every girl in TLC. They had plenty of shots in skimpy clothing. Here's an example (NSFW)

Half of missy elliott's biggest songs are about fucking. Get Your Freak on?

Erykah Badu is 'notorious' for boning her way around the rap game, more so than arguably any other female personality. and has actually gone full nude for a video.

What a dumb post, divorced from reality and facts.

Are you comparing the level of sexuality of any of those people, lyrically or visually, to the artists I mentioned? lmao that TLC attempt.

Anyway geez calm down go nut to nicki ass shaking gifs it's not a big deal just asking. I apologize you're right queen latifah is just as sexual as nicki minaj.

Left out Lauren Hill and still didn't provide a modern mainstream female artist to answer my question.

aly

The way I see it, parents can raise mentally resilient people who can choose how to respond to what the world presents them, or they can raise naive individuals who remain children their whole lives, molded by every stray influence that lodges itself in their heads.

You can't fix the world by sanitizing popular media, but you can teach kids how to think for themselves. If Nicki Minaj's juicy rump is enough to drive a kid to promiscuity and drug abuse, their parents failed them.

Pop culture certainly influences kids. It's part of a parent's job to make sure pop culture isn't the primary influence on their children's values.

I agree with you. But that's either that's easier to say than do, or there are a lot more terrible/clueless parents than I thought.

Did I hit a sensitive spot? Not a lot of black women in power, yet alone singers in hollywood. With her status, she could be sending out a better message instead of shaking her ass 24/7 like the clown that she is.

Or people could stop acting like every black artist is suppose to be the modern day MLK for the black community.

Esch

Banned
Are you comparing the level of sexuality of any of those people, lyrically or visually, to the artists I mentioned? lmao that TLC attempt.

Anyway geez calm down go nut to nicki ass shaking gifs it's not a big deal just asking.

u-mad-o.gif

i don't know, i'm not the one wringing my hands behind a computer screen about a bunch of music videos

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
epic meme.gif

i don't know, i'm not the one wringing my hands behind a computer screen about a bunch of music videos

A u mad gif? B..burn.

Also since you can't just answer the question I guess that answered it for me.

Opiate

Don't know who AJ Delgado is, but there is something about the song that rubs me the wrong way... not so much the sex/drugs, but this part right here:

"Fuck the skinny bitches, fuck the skinny bitches in the club
I wanna see all the big fat ass bitches in the motherfucking club
Fuck you if you skinny bitches WHAT?"

I mean, alright, it's a song about big asses. But what really bothers me is she just directly insults people based on their appearance, or in this case, if they're skinny. THAT'S the part I'm most worried about affecting younger audiences.

Yes, we seem to be going from one extreme to the other. In the 1980s, model skinny was in fashion, such that women with thicker bodies were belittled or looked down upon; now we seem to have swung to the other end of the pendulum.

Takuan

She's one act in a genre known for illicit subject matter. Women who sleep with men in exchange for goods and status have existed for ages, a pop song isn't going to skew things one way or another.

Sex is power. Always has been, always will be. I don't really see anything wrong with a woman choosing to use it to her advantage.

Esch

Banned
A u mad gif? B..burn.

Also since you can't just answer the question I guess that answered it for me.

I mean, the whole thrust of it is i don't agree with your pearl clutching worldview where sex is wrong and something to be kept tightly under wraps, so it's not a concern to me

you stay pressed though

Anyway geez calm down go nut to nicki ass shaking gifs it's not a big deal just asking. I apologize you're right queen latifah is just as sexual as nicki minaj.

Left out Lauren Hill and still didn't provide a modern mainstream female artist to answer my question.

You should listen to more TLC songs. They're definitely not a wholesome group; they make songs that can be uplifting...but they have also made plenty of songs talking about the correct way to fuck a girl, how they need dudes that are 10 inches or bigger and can lick it from the back (one of my favorite songs by them ironically lol).

Same shit different decade, in 20 years some new artist will come out with some sexually charged shit and this conversation will be had again.

Meanwhile Christina Aguilera tellin dudes they need to rub her the right way and she can make their dreams cum true and no one bats an eye.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
You should listen to TLC more songs. They're definitely not a wholesome group; they make songs that can be uplifting...but they have also made plenty of songs talking about the correct way to fuck a girl, how they need dudes that are 10 inches or bigger and can lick it from the back.

Same shit different decade in 20 years, some new artist will come out with some sexually charged shit and this conversation will be had again.

Meanwhile Christina Aguilera tellin dudes they need to rub her the right way and she can make their dreams cum true and no one bats an eye.

RIP Left Eye ;_;7

Anyway you're right and I'm not saying nothing a decade ago was sexual, I'm just wondering what female rap / hip-hop artist is currently mainstream and more focussed on or at least doing things in the 'uplifting' space since I don't know of any. Who is the counter to all of the sex?

aly

You should listen to more TLC songs. They're definitely not a wholesome group; they make songs that can be uplifting...but they have also made plenty of songs talking about the correct way to fuck a girl, how they need dudes that are 10 inches or bigger and can lick it from the back (one of my favorite songs by them ironically lol).

Same shit different decade, in 20 years some new artist will come out with some sexually charged shit and this conversation will be had again.

TLC was talented though :) . Nah, I heard people complain that her performance was raunchy, but had nothing to say about last year when I swear Lady Gaga was wearing a thong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom