• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According To Canon, Which Final Fantasy Characters Are The Most Powerful?

SOLDIER

Yes, I got the idea from this thread, but I'm curious about this now. I would be interested to see what results people can come up with, using both developer response, official lore, or just plain fan interpretations.

For instance, during Final Fantasy X's development there was a quote that said that Lulu was the most powerful Black Mage in FF history. There was another comment for Final Fantasy XIII-2 that claimed that Caius was the most powerful villain in FF history. I wouldn't be surprised if both claims were made by the same bullshitter, but you get the idea.

There was also a comment regarding the FFVII cast in Advent Children, including how that one scene where each party member helps Cloud get closer and closer to Bahamut was ordered from weakest (Barret) to strongest (Tifa....then Aerith if you want to get technical).

As a hastily made personal ranking based on different classes, I would go:

Black Magic:

Terra: naturally gifted, can double her power with her Esper form

Rydia: has White and Black magic, and able to summon the most powerful creatures in FF lore (including FFIV's Bahamut, who is regarded as the "God of all monsters")

White Magic:

Aerith: weak offensive stats, but powerful support magic. Even more powerful if you count Lifestream Aerith

Yuna: Same deal, though she's no slouch with Summoning and Black Magic too. By FFX-2.5 (much as I want to bleach my brain that it doesn't exist), she's practically a Necromancer.

Physical Strength:

Tifa: After watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Hunter X Hunter, I believe Tifa uses aura/nen to power up her attacks, rather than raw physical strength. This is how she's able to lift even the heaviest objects/monsters with ease. There's something to be said about her willpower, having been the only other person besides Cloud to survive a direct attack by Sephiroth.

Sabin: Of course we won't count him out, he's motherfucking Sabin.

Jecht: Another monstrously powerful character, as showcased in Dissidia.

Fighting Skill:

Cloud: The "Jack of All Trades", who can wield several large weapons at a time and perform incredible feats even during the most grueling circumstances. Like Tifa, his strength is enhanced by his willpower, which can fluctuate at times, affecting his battle performance. Once he's confident, though, he's virtually unbeatable.

Lightning: Much as I hate to list Toriyama's fanfic character, Lightning is able to juggle multiple jobs at a time with relative ease, turning her into a One Man Army (that's even the name of one of her moves).

Auron: A combination of raw strength, wisdom and fighting skill, Auron barely even fights with both hands and can pierce even the toughest hide with his sword.

I would mention villains, but that would just make the OP even longer, so save that for the meat of the discussion. I do have one more category though:

S-Tier:

Sora: I know I shouldn't count him, but as someone who is able to take on Cloud, Tifa, Squall and Yuffie at the same time while besting Sephiroth and an army of Heartless, Sora is unquestionably the most powerful hero Square has ever inserted in an FF spinoff.

Gilgamesh: Of course the mighty Gilgamesh is unstoppable! Just look at his collection of weapons taken from the bodies of his defeated opponents!

Kazoo pls

I dunno man. Tidus and Wakka should be counted amongst the strongest if they can kill amored giants and Adamantoise's with a damn blitzball

BibiMaghoo

Cait Sith , Quina Quen and Selphie are surely the most powerful of them all.

because they make me hate everything

Beth Cyra

The closest thing we have is Dissidia to go by.

Cloud, Terra, and Warrior of Light are the top of the Hero side. Cloud goes against a Berserked Terra and held his ground while she couldn't hold back against him (earlier in the story line she curb stomps Onion Knight like this) He also takes out a Firion, the weapon master of the group.

Also by not being killed in the tournament you keep/get more memories of your previous life. The 12th conflict shows Cloud is very aware of who he is and where he has come from, meaning the hero's haven't been able to drop him and/or it's VERY Rare for him to go down.

Terra pretty much drops everything she faces. Kefka even says flat out she is crazy strong and can tip the balance of the war.

WoL is the one to take out Garland/Chaos and he never actually loses in combat.

Villains Sephiroth, Kefka and Garland above all.

Shantanto and Gabranth are insanely strong and likely above both sets of fighters.

Sora can't really be counted though. Nomura has said that the Cloud and everyone he fights are not the same as the Cloud from there games so we can't really be sure how they stack up.

Busaiku

There is no canon unified universe in Final Fantasy like with Street Fighter.
You could rank Ivalice, but nothing outside of that.

how do you even know the characters between games are to scale? what if the final fantasy vii planet and all its inhabitants were all 1000x larger than those of final fantasy x? would that change your rankings?

Zambatoh

It has to be Sabin. If a normal ordinary muscled up human can suplex a train while in motion, you've got it made.

Oregano

Layle from The Crystal Bearers is pretty damn powerful. He makes Bahamut look like a chump and can take Omega weapon solo.

Though a lot of the exposition is pretty camp, Shantotto has a frightening amount of power.

NHtM3fk.gif

Beth Cyra

Terra because she is a Esper... she is on the Behemoth level or any other summon in FF.

Having Esper blood doesn't mean anything really. You have Espers like Myst Dragon.

However she is incredibly strong so it doesn't matter either way.

I always thought Neo-Exdeath was the most powerful thing in FF, I mean he is the embodiment of the void

If we are talking about just pure power range then yeah, Neo Exdeath is at the top and tied with Ultimecia. The sheer amout of power and skills these two have are pretty much unrivaled.

Beth Cyra

Didn't someone jokingly ask Sakaguchi in an interview and he said esper terra followed by sephiroth?

It's possible.

However it isn't a good idea to use as a base since Gooch hasn't been a director since FF V. Also then we would need to take Toriyama's word as gospel and there for Lightning would be the single strongest woman in FF.

That means she would be above both Terra and Ultimecia.

Wazzy

Banned
Tifa being one of the strongest is a hugeeeeeeeeeeeeee stretch. Zell and Sabin do the exact same things as her.

Beth Cyra

Tifa being one of the strongest is a hugeeeeeeeeeeeeee stretch. Zell and Sabin do the exact same things as her.

Yeah I have a hard time with thinking Tifa is up there. She is strong no doubt, but Zell and Sabin both easily out match her when it comes to sheer power.

Zell just punches the ground in frustration and it nearly derails an entire train.

Berordn

There is no canon unified universe in Final Fantasy like with Street Fighter.
You could rank Ivalice, but nothing outside of that.

The void in FFV kinda implies there's some sort of connected Final Fantasy multiverse, and Dissidia outright confirms it (at least in Duodecim when Gilgamesh stumbles upon World B purely by accident)... but then you have to accept Dissidia as a prequel to Final Fantasy 1 and that's admittedly a hard pill to swallow.

SOLDIER

Why is it bad for Lightning to be powerful, but it's okay for the other characters to be able to destroy planets single-handedly

Because of how Toriyama constantly puts down previous characters, and outright lies about facts.

Lightning is the first female protagonist in FF history.

Lightning is the oldest protagonist in FF history.

Beth Cyra

If it's valid to OP's question... Shinryu?

Shinryu_Dissidia.png

Shinryu doesn't really count because he isn't so much as the most powerful one as he is the Reset button.

Chaos actually fights and defends himself. Shinryu when activates just comes out and is like "bitch please' and it's over.

Top Bottom