• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According To Canon, Which Final Fantasy Characters Are The Most Powerful?

Kuja9001

Banned
Because of how Toriyama constantly puts down previous characters, and outright lies about facts.

Lightning is the first female protagonist in FF history.

Lightning is the oldest protagonist in FF history.

She is the second after Vanille.

Kinsei

Banned
I have to wonder, are the MMO villains incredibly powerful, or are your characters weak as fuck?

Due to how many people you need to take them down you'd think they are powerful, but then you've got people like Kefka, who seems to be one of, if not the most powerful FF character, being taken out by a small group.

Kuja9001

Banned
If you are going to count that then she still doesn't fucking win the age thing. Fang and Vanille are both easily older then her, and the same goes for Sazh.

I guess you failed to notice my earlier post that clearly said "after Vanille"

Fang & Sazh aren't main protagonists.

Beth Cyra

I guess you failed to notice my earlier post that clearly said "after Vanille"

Fang & Sazh aren't main protagonists.

Fang has the same argument that Vanille does, including taking the big "hero" moment at the end of XIII.

If Vanille counts, then Fang does as well.

CorvoSol

If it's valid to OP's question... Shinryu?

Shinryu_Dissidia.png

Technically I'd give it like thus:

Warrior of Light > Chaos > Shinryu.

Shinryu is ruling over everybody in Dissidia, but Chaos goes nuts and manages to kill everyone and absorb Shinryu's powers. Warrior of Light ousts Chaos and that's that.

I have to wonder, are the MMO villains incredibly powerful, or are your characters weak as fuck?

Due to how many people you need to take them down you'd think they are powerful, but then you've got people like Kefka, who seems to be one of, if not the most powerful FF character, being taken out by a small group.

Eh? A lot of the battles for story villains in the MMOs don't even allow more than 6 players in FFXI and 8 in FFXIV.

Beth Cyra

Technically I'd give it like thus:

Warrior of Light > Chaos > Shinryu.

Shinryu is ruling over everybody in Dissidia, but Chaos goes nuts and manages to kill everyone and absorb Shinryu's powers. Warrior of Light ousts Chaos and that's that.

Chaos doesn't absorb Shinryu, in fact when Chaos ends up losing his mind and you find Feral Chaos everyone has been killed including Warrior of Light and Cosmos.

Chaos is a natural development of Garland and both are afraid of Shinryu.

Toth

I say that Bhunivelze is the strongest character in the FF 'universe'.
He easily destroyed the solar system and the only reason he lost was because he gave his power to Lightning, who even powered up, only won because of humanity.

Riposte

Battles are not designed around plot, neither are level systems for the most part. No Phoenix Down or exploding the solar system multiple times outside combat. In FFXI it's regularly assumed you are solo. FFXIV considers a party, but to no meaningful or consistent extent.

Beth Cyra

XIII's plot happening is Vanille's fault.

It's as much Fang's as it is Vanille's.

Fang pushed her in to the elevator, Fang is one half of Ragnarok and Fang is the half the reason that Vanille has come back.

Vanille sets Serah in motion, but it's Fang who finishes it off and allows Ragnarok to go through and save them all.

Shinryu Versus

Bhunivelze

Feral Chaos

Omega(multiversal and it keeps trying to take down Shinryu so it must be tough)

Cosmos(well I don't if she can actually fight but she's a god...idk)

Neo-Exdeath

Time compressed Ultimecia

Didn't finish FF9 but Necron seems similar to Neo Exdeath, I guess Cloud of Darkness is too.

TheTux

Lightning the Goddess is da best!

Seriously thuogh, I know some of you will hate me for this but Caius surely is one of the most powerful villain in the series (well
I don't really consider him a villain
) since he just can't die.

As many said Bhunivelze could technically be considered the most powerful villain since he basically destroyed everything easily

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
GILGAMESH, Shinryu, Omega, Original Warrior of Light, Garland.

Oh yeah. Shantotto.

Most villains are already powerful and it's common that Ultimecia and ExDeath are probably the most powerful. Nonexistence and the Absorption of all existence and whatnot.

FFXIV_20130921_6.jpg

In her latest outing she proved she can travel to other dimensions (games) at will. And conquer them, if she wanted to.
Holy crap. I now wish I played FFXIV just so I could have seen that.
She has the greatest attitude. She -could- destroy the universe but she's too lazy, would rather force players to do her work, and simply doesn't care enough. Final Fantasy (well, every RPG ever for that matter) is usually lacking in almighty characters that choose to just NOT use their power.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Ultimecia is definitely at, or at least near the top. Anyone that can manipulate (and in this case compress) time is always going to be more powerful than most. She doesn't get enough credit as a villain just as FF8 doesn't get enough credit as one of the best Final Fantasies.

Riposte

Universe destroying Shantotto is a lame concept. She fairly mortal for most of FFXI, just one of the most powerful BLMs.

Also FFXIV 1.0 Shantotto?

Kuja9001

Banned
Ultimecia is definitely at, or at least near the top. Anyone that can manipulate (and in this case compress) time is always going to be more powerful than most. She doesn't get enough credit as a villain just as FF8 doesn't get enough credit as one of the best Final Fantasies.

The Eng localization killed Ultimecia as a character and 8 as a whole.

Hollycat

In terms of magical strength, Terra is probably the strongest in the franchise.
In physical terms, my wager would be Zack Fair from crisis core. Dude can knock out sephiroth with one punch, and is the only character in FF to legitimately solo an actual god.

Beth Cyra

People are practically omitting Zidane, or even Mikoto. Atleast Kuja gets a nod.

No one is omitting Zidane, there are just two big issues with him.

People put to much stock in the title of Angel Of Death, and the fact he is stronger then base Kuja.

Kuja is very strong, but at the time Zidane is called stronger then Kuja, Kuja is NOT Trance Kuja nor should he ever have had it, it's a forced transformation that he gets from the souls of Invincible.

Zidane>Kuja

Zidane>Trace Kuja? There is nothing really to back this up.

More so in Dissidia Zidane doesn't really do anything to stand out other then a pillar of moral strength and be strong.

He doesn't walk over everyone like WoL, nor does he force Terra out of Berserk with no sign of injury.

Taruranto

Though a lot of the exposition is pretty camp, Shantotto has a frightening amount of power.

NHtM3fk.gif

If you want name someone from XI, Prishe is probably stronger, she's a MNK/WHM who can spam Benediction and can Tank a God. Plus she's canonically immortal and can regenerate most wounds.
Although she loses these powers once the magicite disapears from her chest.

Lightning is probably the stronger due to being Toriyama personal mary-sue-waifu-self-insert and whatnot.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Garland is clearly the most powerful ever. The reason lies in the 2000 year time-loop.

And in that he, Garland, will knock you all down.

I think it's more in the Dissidia lore where he put Omega in a shut down and repair phase and sealed all the summon beasts away.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Hate to say it, but the most powerful FF character is undoubtedly Sephiroth. Dude wields the power of an -entire planet-, and has the chops to reincarnate besides (Advent Children). Even after that, he promises: "私は思い出にはならないさ" -- "I will not be just a memory."

SkyOdin

Here is my ranking of the combined protagonists of the various Final Fantasy games:

Top Tier:
The Warriors of Light (Final Fantasy III and V)
These are heroes who have been directly granted strength by direct contact with the supreme beings of their respective worlds, the Four Crystals. They have the ability to draw on the knowledge of numerous ancient warriors and are protected by the power of the spirits of the Crystals. Also, there isn't much in the franchise that is as mechanically dominant as late-game Final Fantasy V characters who have mastered several jobs and settled into Freelancer or Mime.

Second Tier:
Powers granted by Summoned to gain greater powers than average (Final Fantasy VI, VIII, and XIII)
These are heroes who have gained magical powers greater than the average person through direct access to the power of a Guardian Force, Magicite, or Fal'Cie curses. Generally, they possess a power that is very rare in their world, comes with risks or costs, and makes them strong enough that a small group of heroes has enough power to fight entire armies.

Past that, it gets a lot harder to tell. I would put Final Fantasy XII as the lowest tier of power, but it gets hard to sort out the like of VII, IV, and so on. However, I am tempted to put FInal Fantasy XIV up with III and V, mostly due to how incredible of a power the Echo is. I haven't played Final Fantasy XI, so I can't really speak to that.

Riposte

If you want name someone from XI, Prishe is probably stronger, she's a MNK/WHM who can spam Benediction and can Tank a God. Plus she's canonically immortal and can regenerate most wounds.
Although she loses these powers once the magicite disapears from her chest.

I have a gut feeling Eald'narche is supposed to be extremely strong relative to the rest of the mortal cast, but was cursed with being in the most underdeveloped expansion. IIRC, the "older Zilart brother", who we don't realize is Eald yet for obvious reasons, was hyped up as god-like by that Kuluu dude (though that is to say, he's probably below the full extent of something like Fenrir and Bahamut and the Celestials if they could ever really manifest). He's probably the single smartest character in the game, that's got to do something for your black magic technique.

Cloud with Master materia and Squall properly junctioned (there's a spell that makes him invincible and lionheart is the greatest limit break of all time).

In Dissidia, it's cool to see Warrior of Light be shown as being one of the most powerful. He could even stand up against Sephiroth and prove to be a worthy opponent. And personally, I like seeing an "OLD" FF hero(even though there was no WoL, but a group in the original FF) to be considered one of the most powerful when everybody tends to look down upon the "old" characters and consider FFVII and onward to feature the most powerful characters in the series. It's good to see, "Wait a minute, just because we are old school doesn't mean we can't hold our own!".

Oddly, I personally like to think the differences in each FF universe(the way the planets and life work) means it's rather hard to actually compare the strength of beings per universe. What might be considered "godlike" in one universe might be a joke in another.

mnemovore

Is there a Final Fantasy character so powerful that Zeromus couldn't trap them if they went through the same door a bunch?

Because of how Toriyama constantly puts down previous characters, and outright lies about facts.

Lightning is the first female protagonist in FF history.

Lightning is the oldest protagonist in FF history.
Granted, the protagonist quote was dumb... When was the age quote made, and why would that even matter to you? Yes, Lightning is old by the end of LR. And?

I'd probably say the Final Fantasy V crew has the strongest late game. A fully powered freelancer is somthing to be feared.

I think the weakest is the Final Fantasy IV crew, more specifically Tellus.

Prototype

Strongest overall would probably be one of the magic users. Possibly Rydia or Terra. Rydia was the best summoner the series had ever had. Powerful black magic, could cast meteo(r) a focus of games like 7 and she can just cat it every fight lol, and summon.

Physically I'd have to say Yang. He survives getting swallowed by leviathan, and getting blown up. Next would be Cecil, the mega tank.

I'm not including bad guys or npc in this tho.

I guess I'm pretty ff4 centric. .. it's just that all the newer ff games make every one look like pansies or are people who have no right fighting in the first place (tidus) and it really kills the immersion for me.

EDIT: I see some reasons saying Character X when equipped with Y. That is really missing the point. It's strongest canon character not strongest in game load out. Canon, as in story.

Also you can't say squall because he is dead.

Rising_Hei

I think Cloud is by far the strongest, power doesn't mean anything if your foe avoids all your attacks and cuts your throat very fast.

He can even easily lift the best enemy out there, Sephiroth.

Loona

Shantotto is the real final boss of the Final Fantasy multiverse, and her interactions with just about everybody else in Dissidia is a pretty strong clue.

Thing is, while other villains hang out in fortresses surrounded by minions, she's enjoying her retirement and an endless supply of schadenfreude in the posher area of a civilian city which everyone would feel bad about attacking for fear of hurting innocents - a concern she lacks entirely.

Top Bottom