• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 6 out Sept 8th, demo on August 25

mrmickfran

In September:

Ace Attorney 6
Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse
Final Fantasy XV
Dragon Quest VII
Dead Rising Remastered

My wallet cries

rekameohs

Banned
For some reason I'm not as hyped as I probably should be, but still in Day 1. I replayed AA5 on iOS a few months back and that one's really awesome. Cemented itself just below AA1 and 3 for me.

all aboard mr. yamazaki's wild ride
Yamazaki loooooves his ridiculously over-complicated murder setups in the Investigations games. Hopefully he reigned that in just a tad for some character development, but I'll just have to see! ;)

ggx2ac

Only took seven posts this time.

Well I was going to post faster but I had to double check to make sure.

You probably saw my later posts so don't assume it's because of Nintendo's account systems.

I am complaining about Capcom, why should we be complacent with the idea that "they are at least giving us the game digitally than nothing at all."?

If they were doing that as well for the Great Ace Attorney and AAI 2, I would at least follow the same sentiment, but no. It's pretty damn annoying from this company that shouldn't be at Sega/Atlus treats Europe levels of bad.

Edit:Right now I have to get to sleep though so I'll reply tomorrow if anyone cares.

gardfish

I've heard mixed impressions of the game's big twist, but damn if it's going to stop me from getting my AA fix. Here's hoping the game feels a little more grounded in the established characters than Dual Destinies did, since Maya and Ema are both returning.

Hatty

I hold the unpopular opinion that AA5 is disappointing, so I'm hoping this one is better because I'm gonna end up buying it anyway

Yamazaki loooooves his ridiculously over-complicated murder setups in the Investigations games. Hopefully he reigned that in just a tad for some character development, but I'll just have to see! ;)

I mean, as far as that's concerned, nothing's going to top AA3, I think.

I think Ace Attorney really needs a new multi-game story arc like the Fey family drama in AA1-3. The whole 'mistrust in the legal system' thing isn't a bad thematic connection but it doesn't really amount to a narrative one.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So is it being confirmed as digital only? :/

Seriously? No Great Ace Attorney and now DD-only again?

Welcome to Capcom treating the Western Gyakuten Saiban fans like dirt since Edgeworth 2.

Reason why I haven't bought any further games in the series post Edgeworth 1.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins

I think Ace Attorney really needs a new multi-game story arc like the Fey family drama in AA1-3. The whole 'mistrust in the legal system' thing isn't a bad thematic connection but it doesn't really amount to a narrative one.
Yeah not only was it the standalone strongest game, it also had the support of 2 prequels to really fill out the arc.

Totakeke

AA1 hasn't been topped either for me, and AA1 case 5 was a great standalone case that didn't need much prior buildup too. The villains department has been a large downgrade. It's easy to blame the writer but it could also be AA has just too much baggage at this point. Hence why I was excited for GAA but alas... :(

Well I was going to post faster but I had to double check to make sure.

You probably saw my later posts so don't assume it's because of Nintendo's account systems.

I am complaining about Capcom, why should we be complacent with the idea that "they are at least giving us the game digitally than nothing at all."?

If they were doing that as well for the Great Ace Attorney and AAI 2, I would at least follow the same sentiment, but no. It's pretty damn annoying from this company that shouldn't be at Sega/Atlus treats Europe levels of bad.

Edit:Right now I have to get to sleep though so I'll reply tomorrow if anyone cares.

Get mad at your fellow gamers who weren't willing to shell out $40 for new physical copies of the games... If something doesn't make financial sense for the developers, why do it just to make a few people happy at the cost of the bottom line?

I'm happy the turnaround is this fast but I can't really bring myself to be that excited after how disappointing 5 was. It was probably better than Apollo but man was it a complete step down from the trilogy in every sense. I hope 6 can fix a lot of the issues, both gameplay and writing wise.

AA1 hasn't been topped either for me, and AA1 case 5 was a great standalone case that didn't need much prior buildup too. The villains department has been a large downgrade. It's easy to blame the writer but it could also be AA has just too much baggage at this point. Hence why I was excited for GAA but alas... :(

That's a good point - AA1 case 5 still did a good job of making it personal for Edgeworth despite no real direct narrative connection to any other cases, and obviously its villain is fantastic (likewise for AA2 case 4).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yeah, I feel like the series sort of started to collapse on itself a bit after the first game. Here's Character A doing their shtick again, oh wait here's Character B, remember them!? The game is about a zany court system, remember the parrot - well, here's a prosecutor with a whip!!

I love all the games, but I feel like they lost something after the first one. The flashback cases in the third captured the more grounded feel of AA1 better than anything else since.

rekameohs

Banned
I've heard mixed impressions of the game's big twist, but damn if it's going to stop me from getting my AA fix. Here's hoping the game feels a little more grounded in the established characters than Dual Destinies did, since Maya and Ema are both returning.
While I do really, really like AA5, its strengths come from its handling of the new characters, and I will agree that some of the returning cast, like Trucy and Klavier, were just caricatures of their past selves. It's sort of my biggest problem with this series right now: it's got a glut of characters that it continues to try to juggle, to try and appease all the fans. It's why I'm not too thrilled that Maya's back; I thought her arc ended perfectly, and I think it wouldn't be bad if some fairly major characters were written out of the story or just stuck in the DLC or something. Even though AA4 is far from my favorite, I really gotta respect Takumi for almost entirely forgoing the OG cast.

I've always wanted to get into the franchise but seem to be far behind. Any suggestions on to how to catch up and on what platform. In uk if that limits options.

Tranquilo

Banned
Ace Attorney fans:

I downloaded the trilogy from the eShop earlier this year, and have progressed rather slowly. I do enjoy the game, but it hasn't quite hooked me like I thought it would. I'm still playing through the original, and I'm almost done with the Samurai case (I can't remember the name).

Am I... going to turn a corner soon? Will the second or third game suck me in, or is it more of the exact same? Should I try out Dual Destinies? I really want to be excited for Spirit of Justice. I love the characters and the tone of these games, and I want them to do well. I do feel like I'm trying to force myself to love it so far, though. Maybe I just haven't gotten to the good stuff?

tl;dr - If I'm not hooked by the first game after hours of play, am I trying to love something that I won't actually love, or is the best yet to come?

Edit:
I love all the games, but I feel like they lost something after the first one.
Ah, crap...

I've always wanted to get into the franchise but seem to be far behind. Any suggestions on to how to catch up and on what platform. In uk if that limits options.

3DS has the collection with 1-3 and can play Apollo and 5, otherwise iOS but that doesn't have Apollo Justice so you will be missing out on one game.

I think they were trying to do this with Apollos history being the arc for 4-6(+?) but since I haven't played spirit of justice yet, we'll have to wait and see. It kinda fizzled out a little in Dual Destinies

Ace Attorney fans:

I downloaded the trilogy from the eShop earlier this year, and have progressed rather slowly. I do enjoy the game, but it hasn't quite hooked me like I thought it would. I'm still playing through the original, and I'm almost done with the Samurai case (I can't remember the name).

Am I... going to turn a corner soon? Will the second or third game suck me in, or is it more of the exact same? Should I try out Dual Destinies? I really want to be excited for Spirit of Justice. I love the characters and the tone of these games, and I want them to do well. I do feel like I'm trying to force myself to love it so far, though. Maybe I just haven't gotten to the good stuff?

The third game is generally considered the best. 2 is probably the worst though. It sounds to me like you're probably trying to fit a square peg in to a round hole though. It depends what the reason that it hasn't clicked for you is, really.

While I do really, really like AA5, its strengths come from its handling of the new characters, and I will agree that some of the returning cast, like Trucy and Klavier, were just caricatures of their past selves. It's sort of my biggest problem with this series right now: it's got a glut of characters that it continues to try to juggle, to try and appease all the fans. It's why I'm not too thrilled that Maya's back; I thought her arc ended perfectly, and I think it wouldn't be bad if some fairly major characters were written out of the story or just stuck in the DLC or something. Even though AA4 is far from my favorite, I really gotta respect Takumi for almost entirely forgoing the OG cast.

Yeah, I think Takumi was making the right moves there - really, the main mistake (outside of Trucy in general heh) was in not teeing up enough Apollo backstory to lead into a second trilogy of similar interconnectedness as AA1/2/3 were.

D-Man

tl;dr - If I'm not hooked by the first game after hours of play, am I trying to love something that I won't actually love, or is the best yet to come?
The Steel Samurai case is the weakest one in the game. Finish the next case before you make a verdict. If you don't like the next case, then the series probably isn't for you.

Tranquilo

Banned
The Steel Samurai case is the weakest one in the game. Finish the next case before you make a verdict. If you don't like the next case, then the series probably isn't for you.

Okay! Thanks for the hope. I did have a lot of fun up to this point, but man this case has dragged and dragged. I've gone through a couple intermissions / save points on this case and I haven't booted the game back up in months because I kind of lost interest.

rekameohs

Banned

Eh, I don't even think multi-game arcs are entirely necessary. It worked really well in AA3, yes, but if you look at that game, Godot is established entirely within one game and is probably the most fleshed out character in the series. And 1-5 and 2-4 are for the most part completely standalone cases, and the stories there are excellent. Isolated stories can work, it just takes skilled writers.

Yeah, I think Takumi was making the right moves there - really, the main mistake (outside of Trucy in general heh) was in not teeing up enough Apollo backstory to lead into a second trilogy of similar interconnectedness as AA1/2/3 were.
Just an opinion, but frankly the plot threads that AA4 left untied weren't really that interesting to me, so I was not complaining that they sorta just fizzled out, haha.

mike4001_

The third game is generally considered the best. 2 is probably the worst though. It sounds to me like you're probably trying to fit a square peg in to a round hole though. It depends what the reason that it hasn't clicked for you is, really.

What you might add is, that the games basically get easier with each Sequel (no idea of AA 6 oviously).

So if your problem is the slow progress, this gets better every game :)

Eh, I don't even think multi-game arcs are entirely necessary. It worked really well in AA3, yes, but if you look at that game, Godot is established entirely within one game and is probably the most fleshed out character in the series. And 1-5 and 2-4 are for the most part completely standalone cases, and the stories there are excellent. Isolated stories can work, it just takes skilled writers.

Yeah, in many ways 5-5 felt like a clear attempt to evoke 2-4 for me, but the comparison did it no favors (and I don't hate 5-5 and I liked the big twist).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Ace Attorney fans:

Edit:

Ah, crap...
The second and third cases are the weak points of every AA game, especially the second.

Cases one and four are what you should judge each game by. AA1 even has a bonus fifth case that's just as good as the fourth.

The second and third cases are the weak points of every AA game, especially the second.

Cases one and four are what you should judge each game by. AA1 even has a bonus fifth case that's just as good as the fourth.

I dunno, 1-2 and 2-2 are pretty good I think, and 3-3 (while being completely standalone) is delightful. But generally yes.

Ventara

Okay! Thanks for the hope. I did have a lot of fun up to this point, but man this case has dragged and dragged. I've gone through a couple intermissions / save points on this case and I haven't booted the game back up in months because I kind of lost interest.

I agree with D-Man that that case was the weakest. 4th case is probably my favourite in the entire series, and 5th case ranks pretty high.

2nd game is kind of the low point in the series while the 3rd game some consider the best (though I feel the first is still better). If you don't want to go through the second game, which is still fun, imo, stopping at the first game isn't a bad place to stop. Though you'll be lost if you decide to jump ahead and play 3 or 5 or something.

MrBadger

Ace Attorney fans:

Edit:

Ah, crap...

The first game didn't grab me until case 4. The samurai case took took me a while to get through as well but the fourth case is what really hooked me on this series.

Just an opinion, but frankly the plot threads that AA4 left untied weren't really that interesting to me, so I was not complaining that they sorta just fizzled out, haha.

It's not really the open plot threads that I wanted to see a continuation of, it was the theme that sometimes life doesn't go the way you want it to. The fact that Phoenix lost his badge and Ema failed her final exam were interesting new developments for their characters, and Dual Destinies undid all of that, "fixing" Phoenix by reverting him back to his old self.

Durden77

Helllll YES. I hope there's I won't be missing too much missing on on the Great Ace Attorney or whatever the prequel was (that I still want to play Capcom US...)

Pachimari

Do they have any plans for a mobile release? I haven't heard any talk about that, and I unfortunately sold my 3DS. AA1-3 and 5 are on mobile.

ZeroX03

Banned
Do they have any plans for a mobile release? I haven't heard any talk about that, and I unfortunately sold my 3DS. AA1-3 and 5 are on mobile.

They aren't going to say anything about it while the 3DS version is still due for release.

It'll probably come, you'll have to wait a year.

MrBadger

Something I was thinking about while playing Danganronpa was, for a franchise about murder and crime, Ace Attorney is incredibly safe. None of the main characters are ever in danger of death and the vast majority of the victims are people we never meet before conveniently coming across their corpses at some wacky event. I wonder if it'd be a smart move to write a story about an important, established character's death. Rather than just another story about their childhood trauma.

ZeroX03

Banned
Something I was thinking about while playing Danganronpa was, for a franchise about murder and crime, Ace Attorney is incredibly safe. None of the main characters are ever in danger of death and the vast majority of the victims are people we never meet before conveniently coming across their corpses at some wacky event. I wonder if it'd be a smart move to write a story about an important, established character's death. Rather than just another story about their childhood trauma.

2-4 has a main character in danger of death, that's the point, arguably 3-5 as well. Probably more I'm not immediately recalling. 3-5 also has an important story character's death as the plot.

I was hoping the series would go the other way honestly. I like how 3-2 started as just a grand robbery. Too much murder and the game feeling like it needs to one up itself. Investigating other crimes would be interesting to me, a personal murder would be way too grim. AA's formula is a lot more malleable in that it's divorced from the main cast, Danganronpa's formula will wear out a lot faster.

I agree, Larry Butz must die

daxgame

I agree, Larry Butz must die

image.php

Yeah, I feel like the series sort of started to collapse on itself a bit after the first game. Here's Character A doing their shtick again, oh wait here's Character B, remember them!? The game is about a zany court system, remember the parrot - well, here's a prosecutor with a whip!!

I love all the games, but I feel like they lost something after the first one. The flashback cases in the third captured the more grounded feel of AA1 better than anything else since.

Which is why I want Shu Takumi to keep making new games like Ghost Trick and that spin off Great Ace Attorney set in another time and place entirely. If Takumi games aren't coming out in English it fucking sucks. Hopefully some fans will pick up the slack from Capcom yet again and do a fan translation. Don't give a damn about AA5, frankly. I wanted GAA.

Top Bottom