• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 6 out Sept 8th, demo on August 25

Sweet. now to finally get round to Rise from the Ashes...and AA2...and AA3...and so on.

Edit: Did dual destinies only get a eShop release int he EU or something? Can't seem to spot a physical version on Amazon but tbh for portables i like all digital and have the eShop Trilogy. SMTIV A will also be on my list....FFXV...DQ7 seems pretty good and heard great things. Dead Rising ain't my thing but pretty packed month. Will probably wait on 2DS/3DS stuff until I@m caught up though.

Genio88

In September:

Ace Attorney 6
Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse
Final Fantasy XV
Dragon Quest VII
Dead Rising Remastered

My wallet cries

For me is only Ace Attorney 6 and Final Fantasy(which is the last day of the month thankfully) problem is time though...cause just now I saw that Bioshock remastered will release in mid September too! I really wanted to replay the first one, I loved it back in 2007, also i'm getting it for free on Steam...it'll be a pretty busy season gaming wise

Will the EU version once again be English only?
Not that I have a huge problem with that, but the German translations of the AA games were always top notch and it would be a shame if some players couldn't experience the game because of that, as happened with AA5.

Dominator

Oh shit that's soon, was expecting October. Can''t wait, one of my favorite series, even though I didn't love 5. I still enjoy the characters and gameplay.

MrBadger

2-4 has a main character in danger of death, that's the point, arguably 3-5 as well. Probably more I'm not immediately recalling. 3-5 also has an important story character's death as the plot.

I was hoping the series would go the other way honestly. I like how 3-2 started as just a grand robbery. Too much murder and the game feeling like it needs to one up itself. Investigating other crimes would be interesting to me, a personal murder would be way too grim. AA's formula is a lot more malleable in that it's divorced from the main cast, Danganronpa's formula will wear out a lot faster.

Well I think the franchise is already in a position where it's constantly trying to one-up itself without actually taking many huge risks. For example, Dual Destinies
features the death of Apollo's childhood best friend who we never actually meet, we're just told about how close he and Apollo were, and that's supposed to be enough to get emotionally invested.
And from what I've heard of Ace Attorney 6,
there was a lawyer genocide.

I don't have any issue with the final case getting grim because some of the most gripping moments in the series are caused by the main cast's personal trauma. I didn't have this issue with the original trilogy, but I feel like we've reached a point where all the major characters have fallen into an unchanging status quo. I agree that it would be a smart move to have a case that isn't about a murder.

Well I think the franchise is already in a position where it's constantly trying to one-up itself without actually taking many huge risks. For example, Dual Destinies
features the death of Apollo's childhood best friend who we never actually meet, we're just told about how close he and Apollo were, and that's supposed to be enough to get emotionally invested.
And from what I've heard of Ace Attorney 6,
there was a lawyer genocide.

I don't have any issue with the final case getting grim because some of the most gripping moments in the series are caused by the main cast's personal trauma. I didn't have this issue with the original trilogy, but I feel like we've reached a point where all the major characters have fallen into an unchanging status quo. I agree that it would be a smart move to have a case that isn't about a murder.

I think different types of cases would be great but it doesn't necessarily have to be about the crime itself being different. I'd love to see a civil case or a robbery case, of course, but I also like the idea of the Jury System that Great Ace Attorney introduces, for example, or the hints that Khu'rain has a differently-functioning court system too.

I think it'd be a blast to have a trial taking place in a military tribunal, for example, with its wholly different set of rules, or in arbitration.

Unless it's completely different content, I don't see much of a point with playing the demo, since I'd just end up playing it again (and it'll play out the same way) in the full game.

COOLSKELETON95

Neo Member
Great news, I don't have any upcoming games on the horizon so definitely will be in on this, loved the whole series since the original release of the first game.

Kaizu

AA6 felt more like Apollo Justice 2 than Phoenix Wright 6(5?) to be honest. Apollo is actually the focus and I felt Phoenix actually got a shaft in characterization where he regressed somewhat in the civil case. Maya is also kinda disappointing and felt like a retread of
Phoenix Wright 2. Her two cases are a retread of chapter 2 and 4 of AA2 with no character growth.

The stake got higher with revolution of the whole country involved but I found the character animations and personalities not as enticing as those of Great Ace Attorney, Sherlock Holmes is just too good of a character. It's still a good game but it doesn't capture me like Great Ace Attorney even though the cases of GAA aren't as large or grand in scale. GAA though has a sequel hook and end in cliff hanger while AA6 also had a sequel hook but it felt more like something to clean up some of the mess of the baggage of having too many playable characters. Otherwise AA6 ended with a satisfactory conclusion.

And here I was thinking that we wouldn't get it until the end of the month. I'm glad that it's coming out so soon. I can't wait to play as Apollo again.

eXistor

First time I don't want to play a AA game at all. Feels weird.

Me too, it was once one of my favorite series, but ever since AA5 (never even finished that one) I lost all interest. Lack of a physical release is a big thing for me as well.

Ehhhh.

Still haven't finished AA5, which is the first AA game I didn't finish within a week or so of getting it (it's been 2 years at this point I think).

That and digital only on a nintendo system is bleeeeh.

I'm not sure if I'll even bother.

I've been playing through the series over the past month and half or so and love the games so much. Not been paying too much attention but a demo for the new one I'll be trying, the release date being September murders my wallet though.

GSR

What was the reception to this one in Japan/by importers? Where do most people rank it?

Speaking for myself, I think it's more entertaining/better than AA5 on the whole but it's also frequently a complete trainwreck, if that makes any sense.

TrueBlue

What was the reception to this one in Japan/by importers? Where do most people rank it?

From what I've gathered - and forgive me if I'm wrong here - but it seems reception is that the game is solid if unspectacular? Has some strong points but also some weaker bits.

As someone who loved the first 4 games and didn't finish the Miles Edgeworth one, should I replay the first 4 and finish Investigations to refresh myself on the series before playing Dual Destinies?

ZeroX03

Banned
As someone who loved the first 4 games and didn't finish the Miles Edgeworth one, should I replay the first 4 and finish Investigations to refresh myself on the series before playing Dual Destinies?

Investigations isn't necessary, you can go back to it whenever you feel like it. Refresh as much as you want, as long as you're playing the mainline in order.

Vibranium

Banned
Honestly, I'm so invested in Ace Attorney that I really don't care much about how good the story is. It's the character interactions and comedy that make it for me personally.

I hope we get some hilarious references from the localization team. I loved the use of "jobber" in Dual Destinies.

SolidSmiech

Neo Member
Honestly, I'm so invested in Ace Attorney that I really don't care much about how good the story is. It's the character interactions and comedy that make it for me personally.

Essentially this. I wouldn't say I "don't care" if the story is good or not, but I am invested in the series to the point that I'll play every game I can. The only thing that could push me away from doing so is if the games started to get legitimately bad to the point that I find them insulting.

The recent games are certainly not what the original trilogy was, but they've been good in their own way. I actually quite enjoyed AA5, so if this turns out to be better than that, then I should quite enjoy "Yamazak's wild ride."

MrBadger

Nice!!! Ace Attorney and Layton games should be mandatory annual releases lol

What about Great Attorney and AAI2? :(

I think it's safe to say the chances of getting AAI2 are next to none, but the majority of people will tell you that the fan translation is up to the standard of an official release

Still holding out for DGS though

Essentially this. I wouldn't say I "don't care" if the story is good or not, but I am invested in the series to the point that I'll play every game I can. The only thing that could push me away from doing so is if the games started to get legitimately bad to the point that I find them insulting.

The recent games are certainly not what the original trilogy was, but they've been good in their own way. I actually quite enjoyed AA5, so if this turns out to be better than that, then I should quite enjoy "Yamazak's wild ride."

I would say I'm in the same boat. I can't lie that my enthusiasm has gone down a lot, but I've never not finished an Ace Attorney and there's always plenty to be entertained by.

GSR

I think it's safe to say the chances of getting AAI2 are next to none, but the majority of people will tell you that the fan translation is up to the standard of an official release

Still holding out for DGS though

Just give up hope now. It'll make DGS2 getting announced in a few weeks hurt less.

GSR

Didn't DGS1 do quite poorly sales wise? I'd be happy if DGS2 gets announced even if it never comes out in English.

It definitely underperformed relative to AA5, but the way the game is set up and some of the dev comments pretty heavily suggest Capcom bought in on making it a series from day one. Wouldn't surprise me if it got cut from trilogy to duology, granted.

Having two active AA teams also lets Capcom make the series near-annual.

Top Bottom