• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Active Time Babble: Asking Atlus About Radiant Historia And 7th Dragon

GhaleonQ

COPY AND PASTED FROM 1-UP
"Thankfully, the rest of the show isn't quite the comedy of errors as the introduction. For one, Jeremy and I were happy to host Atlus Manager of PR and Sales (and one of the company's many Official RPG Nerds) Aram Jabbari, who dropped by to chat about Radiant Historia. And in the second segment, Mike Nelson and Travis Williams join me for a breakdown (read: verbal thrashing) of DC Universe Online.

So the breadth of content (Spoiler: We asked about 7th Dragon) ought to keep everyone happy, which more than makes up for my referencing a barely known action franchise from what... 2003?

Next episode, we'll be going even more into depth on JRPGs, as Tactics Ogre and Dragon Quest VI figure to dominate the month of February. And who knows, maybe we'll discuss something else as well. Preferably without Vin Diesel references.

Until then, check out the full breakdown below."

Episode Breakdown (download it now!)

•0:00 | Theme & Introduction
•00:35 | Interview w/ Aram Jabbari
•50:40 | Musical Interlude: The Heartless Have Come (Kingdom Hearts)
•51:10 | DC Universe Online Discussion w/ Kat, Travis and Mike
•01:40:30 Musical Interlude: Blast Away Gummi Ship
•01:41:00 Outtro & Next Episode

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/podcast.the1upnetwork.com/flat/Retronauts/ATB012711.mp3

In the most "xtreme" episode of Active Time Babble to date, Kat, Travis and Mike Nelson offer the final verdict on DC Universe Online, and it isn't pretty. Before that though, Atlus' Aram Jabbari joins Kat and Jeremy in the studio to discuss the upcoming Radiant Historia while taking questions from listeners. Yes, we do take the time to ask about the whereabouts of 7th Dragon and its ilk. We ask because we care.

StuBurns

Banned
I listened earlier, very enjoyable. As far as I remember the extent of 7th Dragon discussion was pretty much "so, 7th Dragon is apparently awesome, and it's not out in the US, and Atlas is a publisher... You should put that out".

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, I'm not a big podcast guy and I won't be listening to much more than the intro, but but I have two things:

1) The OP makes it seem like GhaleonQ is Kat Bailey. That doesn't work for so many reasons.

2) Jeremy pronounces "Narshe" as "Narshay". What the christ. Is this correct? You'd figured it have been localized as Narshé then... Have I been mispronouncing all this time. I pronounce it "Narsh" like "Marsh". The katakana is na ru shu. Where is Jeremy getting this pronunciation?

StuBurns

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
2) Jeremy pronounces "Narshe" as "Narshay". What the christ. Is this correct? You'd figured it have been localized as Narshé then... Have I been mispronouncing all this time. I pronounce it "Narsh" like "Marsh". The katakana is na ru shu. Where is Jeremy getting this pronunciation?
He also thinks it's eye-ko instead of ee-ko though.

entremet

Stumpokapow said:
So, I'm not a big podcast guy and I won't be listening to much more than the intro, but but I have two things:

1) The OP makes it seem like GhaleonQ is Kat Bailey. That doesn't work for so many reasons.

I agree. Using quote tags would fix any ambiguity.

Thanks for the thread, though, Ghaleon.

StuBurns said:
Apparently it is, according to some official Japanese art book that either he or Mangod has. One of them talked about it on one of the podcasts a looooooong time ago.

Might listen to it later, but just wondering does anyone ask any questions about titles Atlus might actually be localizing, like Persona 2?

Volcynika

rainking187 said:
Might listen to it later, but just wondering does anyone ask any questions about titles Atlus might actually be localizing, like Persona 2?

From what I've heard so far, nope. And good. Because all the response would be is "No comment" or something like that.

EDIT: Catherine was mentioned, no plans to bring it over at this time. AKA standard answer.

jay

Narsh and Eyeco.

That is all.

Wait, it's not. GhaleonQ isn't part of the podcast? It does seem like he is by the OP.

Hopefully, this episode won't have some error on the scale of "Armored Trooper Votoms is some obscure show no one has ever heard of before".

Enjoying the Radiant Historia talk. Game sounds pretty neat.

ATB is probably the most surprising on track and informative podcast out there(for gaming). The Atlus section should hopefully be interesting.

Mandoric

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

Er? It's ナルシェ.

Ratrat

I AM JOHN! said:
Apparently it is, according to some official Japanese art book that either he or Mangod has. One of them talked about it on one of the podcasts a looooooong time ago.

Aiko would be a very common girls name + the novelization has it as e-co. But who knows.

Radiant Historia sounds pretty awesome. I just wish that Dragon Quest VI, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, Ys Chronicles and this weren't all coming out within the space of two weeks. It's absurd.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
StuBurns said:
What a strange and out-of-date error to hang on to. I was confused after stumbling across the official novelization of the game, whose title is written アイコ (eye-ko). But after recording whatever podcast this came up on years ago I looked up the game's Japanese title to find that it is, in fact, イコ (ee-ko) and have been pronouncing it correctly since then. Such as on last week's Games, Dammit!

Narshe is written ナルシェ (see the second paragraph of this section), so yeah, "Nar-shay," or some approximation thereof.

pje122

Glad you're back to podcasting on a weekly basis, Toasty.
Also, I got a bunch of your Quarterlies for Christmas. Really enjoying them.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Glad to see someone is out there asking about 7th Dragon. Too bad it looks like it's lost to the ages. Curse you SEGA!!

Oxx

Everything about RH was sounding so great until T-Frog said that it had the most text of any game he played last year.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Oxx said:
Everything about RH was sounding so great until T-Frog said that it had the most text of any game he played last year.
But the quality of that text is miles beyond that of any game I played last year. I see nothing wrong with a wordy game if it has something to say. The problem with most wordy games is that they take 80,000 words to say a hell of a lot of nothing (see: Ys Seven and, god save us all, Golden Sun).

Oxx

Yeah, Golden Sun was exactly what I had in mind.

Its opening just filled me with rage after being spoiled by Dragon Quest 9's breezy brevity.

I'm still going to give Radiant Historia a go. If only for a bit of Shimomura.

Hobbun

ToastyFrog said:
But the quality of that text is miles beyond that of any game I played last year. I see nothing wrong with a wordy game if it has something to say. The problem with most wordy games is that they take 80,000 words to say a hell of a lot of nothing (see: Ys Seven and, god save us all, Golden Sun).

Agreed. And I mean in that I don't have an issue with a game that has lots of text as long as the text translates into a quality story.

I mean part of the reason I am playing an RPG is for it's story, and if Atlus does the story correctly (which sounds like they have with RH), then I am all for it.

Man, put Aram thru the wringer there, too.

Ravidrath said:
Do they discuss the footstep sounds in Radiant Historia at all?

No, but they did go in-depth into the structure of the game, also describing how the MC is NOT a naive idiot, which I like is the case.

Top Bottom