• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires II's NEW / 3rd xpack is "The African Kingdoms" and AoM xpack teased

Tevious

I agree with you on Dagda and Nugua I'm not so sure if the one in the middle is Ahura Mazda. For one there remains a very active and sizable Zoroastrian community in Northwestern India, and given their previous troubles with offending minority religions they thought dead I'm not so sure they would risk it, especially given the history of persecution the community has suffered especially in recent times at the hands of ISIS.

I also don't believe it is Ahura Mazda because in Zoroastrianism there is only one true divinity. There is a Satan figure, a variety of angel, demons, and creatures but there is only one true divinity. Granted for game purposes they could stretch to include Angra Mainyu as a god even though that is not what he actually is. They could include Zurvan but that particular belief arose long after and has been dead for centuries placing it in this odd middle ground where it is neither part of the original faith or an accepted part of it today. This is further complicated because certain aspects of Zurvanism have survived into modern Zoroastrianism meaning that including them may further offend that community. Given that Zurvan does not really belong to either the ancient or modern beliefs but rather an intermediate area and that AoM exists on pre historic scale I'm not sure what they would do with that.

On the other hand the book and quill are very important symbols in Zoroastrian beliefs and what looks like wings over an Ark on his chest which is very traditional symbol. I would very much like for the various Pre-Islamic middle eastern mythologies be represented since it as area that very few people know about and is incredibly interesting. There are some powerful scenes such as the Descent into Hell that I would love to see.

I'm still kind of baffled as to who the middle guy is, but Ahura Mazda is my best guess. I'm no expert on Zoroastrianism. It was my understanding that it was originally polytheistic, but evolved into a monotheistic religion where all the other gods besides Ahura Mazda became the equivalent of angels and demons. So this could be a take on the polytheistic version of it. They could be taking some liberties with it and go the route with Ahura Mazda, Zurvan, and Angra Mainyu (aka Ahriman) as the major gods. Some possible minor gods being Mithra, Atar, Asha-Vahishta, Vohu-Manah, Druj, Aka-Manah, and Dahaka. Would have an interesting dualistic approach to it with half the gods being good and the other half being evil.

I do remember that Ensemble Studios wanted to avoid offending anyone by using religions still practiced. I was not aware they had trouble offending anyone with the original AoM. However, SkyBox Labs is making this, so maybe they don't share the same opinion and might be willing to defend it as fictional art if anyone complains from any minority groups that still worship these religions.

Altazor

I feel the same way, JaseC, the original Age of Empires hold a special place in my heart because it was my first PC game and the experience was what inspired my interest in history.

An Age of Empires HD announcement would be equivalent to Shenmue III for me.

are you me? You pretty much wrote down what I was going to say (except that AoE wasn't my first PC game, but it was a very influential one).

this song, THIS SONG

Tevious

are you me? You pretty much wrote down what I was going to say (except that AoE wasn't my first PC game, but it was a very influential one).

this song, THIS SONG

That song brings back lots of good memories. AoE was the game that got me hooked on PC gaming. I remember having the Trial version pre-installed on my family's new Compaq computer back in the year 2000. I played that game so long I got blisters on my fingers.

xewind

Nice! I was even playing AoEII HD early today, looking forward to this expansion.

I never played Age of Mythology though, may should I buy it on steam and give it a try? Was thinking on getting AoE III since I've never played it either...

Tevious

Nice! I was even playing AoEII HD early today, looking forward to this expansion.

I never played Age of Mythology though, may should I buy it on steam and give it a try? Was thinking on getting AoE III since I've never played it either...

Get AoM while its still on sale. Its a great game and better than AoK in my opinion. AoE III wasn't as good as either.

First of all, this is expansion for a remake, and second, why would you be so surprised anyway?

AOE II that was on steam recently right? That is not a remake,it's a release even though it looks better in some areas. The reason i was surprised is because MS doesnt support PC too much, especially with pure pc titles like AOE.

Tevious

AOE II that was on steam recently right? That is not a remake,it's a release even though it looks better in some areas. The reason i was surprised is because MS doesnt support PC too much, especially with pure pc titles like AOE.

SkyBox Labs seemed to have made a deal with MS to do the HD editions and must have gotten the OK from MS to do more expansions if profits turned out good for each title.

Altazor

That song brings back lots of good memories. AoE was the game that got me hooked on PC gaming. I remember having the Trial version pre-installed on my family's new Compaq computer back in the year 2000. I played that game so long I got blisters on my fingers.

the AoE trial version is the best demo I've ever played.

I'm horrible at RTS, but I had tons of fun with AoE - the third* mission of the Hittite campaign took me one hell of a long time, but I managed to beat it with confidence. Then again, our home PC at the time wasn't able to run games, so I had to play it on the laptop my dad brought home from work during some weekends.

When we finally bought a more modern PC a couple of years later, the first thing I actually wanted was AoE - the full version, not just the trial. I needed it. We were vacationing in another city when I finally found it, and it was the last copy the store had. The box was damaged 'cause it was near the bottom of a huge pile of boxes, but that was the only bad thing about it.

I still have the instruction manual. The historical section about the different civs was great, I loved reading that part.

Lucreto

My favourite mission was in the demo. You only started with 2 priests to build your empire. I loved that mission if only there was gold to mine my army would be unstoppable.

I should not look a gift horse in the mouth but I would rather Age of Empires 4 or Age of Mythology 2 with a new engine not an expansion. I should count myself lucky we are getting more content to beginning with.

Altazor

My favourite mission was in the demo. You only started with 2 priests to build your empire. I loved that mission if only there was gold to mine my army would be unstoppable.

yup, it was the mission I mentioned in my previous post - it was actually the third instead of the second. Fun as hell.

Here it is!

Nordicus

Huh, so I suppose the AoE 2 HD Edition did well?

*in Steamspy AoE2 HD sold over 2 million copies*

*the first expansion to HD edition already came in 2013, this is the second*

Oh okay, yeah, so there's an audience.

Tevious

When did the first expansion release? The one before 2013?

Which one? I'll just list them all, I guess.

Age of Empires II released in 1999 by Ensemble Studios.
The Conquerors expansion released in 2000 by Ensemble Studios.
The Forgotten expansion (a free mod) released in 2013 by Forgotten Empires mod team.
Age of Empires II HD released in 2013 by SkyBox Labs.
The Forgotten expansion was incorporated into AoE II HD as DLC in 2013.

Age of Mythology released in 2002 by Ensemble Studios.
The Titans expansion released in 2003 by Ensemble Studios.
Age of Mythology Enhanced Edition released in 2014 by SkyBox Labs.

I should not look a gift horse in the mouth but I would rather Age of Empires 4 or Age of Mythology 2 with a new engine not an expansion. I should count myself lucky we are getting more content to beginning with.

If they did an Age of Mythology 2, we would have a lot less content. We'd probably be back to three CIVs again.

Tevious

That dumb-ass reporter happens to be Miss Oregon 2011. Be respectful.

Maybe she should go back to modeling cause she did a terrible job reporting on this. So annoying that she wouldn't get out of the way of the image they were talking about. Hire someone who cares about games and isn't just a pretty face.
I almost thought you were going to say "happens to be my wife", lol.

injurai

Banned
AoM...

omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg

Sibylus

Banned
She is cool peoples and a gamer. He probably thinks she was a " fake" gamer which is not true.
Very much so, have seen her play D&D and SCII from time to time, and she's hosted a number of esports events
facepalm.gif

Tevious

She is cool peoples and a gamer. He probably thinks she was a " fake" gamer which is not true.

I have no idea who she is. She was just annoying me because throughout the whole interview, she was just there, blocking the way, and seemed to have no idea what he was talking about. If she didn't know anything about these games, she could have had the guy brief her before they started the interview. Anyway, I've changed the wording to be a bit more respectful.

I'm still kind of baffled as to who the middle guy is, but Ahura Mazda is my best guess. I'm no expert on Zoroastrianism. It was my understanding that it was originally polytheistic, but evolved into a monotheistic religion where all the other gods besides Ahura Mazda became the equivalent of angels and demons. So this could be a take on the polytheistic version of it. They could be taking some liberties with it and go the route with Ahura Mazda, Zurvan, and Angra Mainyu (aka Ahriman) as the major gods. Some possible minor gods being Mithra, Atar, Asha-Vahishta, Vohu-Manah, Druj, Aka-Manah, and Dahaka. Would have an interesting dualistic approach to it with half the gods being good and the other half being evil.

I do remember that Ensemble Studios wanted to avoid offending anyone by using religions still practiced. I was not aware they had trouble offending anyone with the original AoM. However, SkyBox Labs is making this, so maybe they don't share the same opinion and might be willing to defend it as fictional art if anyone complains from any minority groups that still worship these religions.

I study Zoroastrianism for fun (plus my mod for CKII was originally a Zoroastrian enhancement mod before turning into a total overhaul mod).

It does seem early Zoroastrianism was polytheistic with various other deities (Mithra and Anahita both being very important). the most interesting aspect of Zurvanism to me is its effect on medieval Christian heresies (I go along with the theory that Bogomolism was heavily influenced by Zurvanism especially with its corresponding trinity of God, Satanael and Christ corresponding with Zurvan, Ahirman and Ohrmazd).

Overall Zoroastrianism should not be in a mythology game in the end since it is still a living faith. Now something like Manichaeism could be interesting.

Tevious

I study Zoroastrianism for fun (plus my mod for CKII was originally a Zoroastrian enhancement mod before turning into a total overhaul mod).

It does seem early Zoroastrianism was polytheistic with various other deities (Mithra and Anahita both being very important). the most interesting aspect of Zurvanism to me is its effect on medieval Christian heresies (I go along with the theory that Bogomolism was heavily influenced by Zurvanism especially with its corresponding trinity of God, Satanael and Christ corresponding with Zurvan, Ahirman and Ohrmazd).

Overall Zoroastrianism should not be in a mythology game in the end since it is still a living faith. Now something like Manichaeism could be interesting.

Do you think the god in the center of the image might be Ahura Mazda?

Are there any ETAs on the expansions?

The African Kingdoms will be out later this year. As for the AoM expansion, we just know we will get more details on it later this year. It might not come out until next year, who knows.

Hmm, Manichaeism is an idea that I hadn't thought of. Its a bit more abstract than the more familiar mythologies in the game but I imagine they could do a good job. The conflist between light and dark perhaps?

And yes Zoroastrianism shouldn't be in the game as it is still a living and practiced faith.

The scenery in the African trailer looks great! I love the Age series and am amazed AoE2 has had 2 new expansions now.

But AoM getting a new expansion? For me this news tops anything that came out of E3.

I look forward to them both. I wonder if they'll try anything with Rise of Nations, maybe even HD release of Rise of Legends?

Nere

Age of Mythology is my childhood game. It was the game that made me want to buy a new pc just to play this news is music to my ears can't wait!!!!!

Tevious

Found some new screens of The African Kingdoms and added them to OP.

Lots of new wildlife! Ostriches, zebras, crocodiles, and lions. Looks like the villagers are going to remain the standard white European villagers, though. I read that villagers are hard-coded in such a way that it would be difficult to change them for each CIV.

Also, holy shit at this mod: http://www.voobly.com/gamemods/mod/312/Forgotten-Empires-31

I hope they can work out a way to get that stuff in the game.

Tagyhag

yup, it was the mission I mentioned in my previous post - it was actually the third instead of the second. Fun as hell.

Here it is!

That's pretty cool, didn't know the trial version had exclusive missions.

I actually used to do 8 FFA games in AOK where my civ only consisted of a super strong monk and had to build my army solely from him, was a lot of fun.

Watching that video reminds me of how cozy AOE felt, making a simple village with that soundtrack in the background, bliss.

The scenery in the African trailer looks great! I love the Age series and am amazed AoE2 has had 2 new expansions now.

But AoM getting a new expansion? For me this news tops anything that came out of E3.

I look forward to them both. I wonder if they'll try anything with Rise of Nations, maybe even HD release of Rise of Legends?

Honestly, I'm kind of confused about why they haven't done an HD Rise of Legends release yet. Part of me is hoping that they're just waiting to bundle it with a new one or something.

Looked up the numbers on Steamspy

AoE2: Owners: 2,249,857 ± 46,106
AoM: Owners: 513,235 ± 22,100
RoN: Owners: 353,456 ± 18,346

Tagyhag

Honestly, I'm kind of confused about why they haven't done an HD Rise of Legends release yet. Part of me is hoping that they're just waiting to bundle it with a new one or something.

I wanna say that they lost the original code?

I might be pulling that out of my ass.

_machine

An Age Of Mythology expansion sounds really enticing, even if it doesn't come with a proper campaign (I used to love the crap out of both the AoM campaigns). I should probably pick up the AoE II HD, but for some reason I've felt that it would be better left for my memories, but I don't know.

Wow...amazing news. More AoE/M is great, especially given how damned old they are. Reading people talk about them as part of their childhood makes me feel fucking old. Ancient Art of War/At Sea-old.

I'm hoping they are working on it. Age of Mythology was teased for a while before it came out, but Rise of Nations just appeared on sale suddenly without any warning after Age of Mythology's release. Hopefully one day I'll open up steam and Rise of Legends will be staring at me.

As excited as I am about AoE and AoM getting expansions, I still regularly play Rise of Nations... Which, imo is a far, far superior game. So yeah, I echo this.

I love AoE, AoM, Rise of Nations and Rise of Legends. They don't make RTS like this any more. The multiple resources you have to juggle and the diverse buildings just don't appear in modern RTS. The Rise series also did some interesting things with map control and infinite resources.

Also, holy shit at this mod: http://www.voobly.com/gamemods/mod/312/Forgotten-Empires-31

I hope they can work out a way to get that stuff in the game.

Check the AoE2 Graphic Replacement mod on steam workshop. I think it might incorporate those building and units into the HD game.

I'm hoping they are working on it. Age of Mythology was teased for a while before it came out, but Rise of Nations just appeared on sale suddenly without any warning after Age of Mythology's release. Hopefully one day I'll open up steam and Rise of Legends will be staring at me.

I love AoE, AoM, Rise of Nations and Rise of Legends. They don't make RTS like this any more. The multiple resources you have to juggle and the diverse buildings just don't appear in modern RTS. The Rise series also did some interesting things with map control and infinite resources.

Check the AoE2 Graphic Replacement mod on steam workshop. I think it might incorporate those building and units into the HD game.
Was Rise of legends an expansion or separate game?

Tevious

I just checked it out, and it does not. Seemed to just be an awkward remix of existing art for the game, along with some new terrain mods that I've used before. The mod I linked had new unique art for several CIVs, which I know can't be done without alterations to the Genie engine.

I wanna say that they lost the original code?

I might be pulling that out of my ass.

God, I hope that's not true. I think I still have my discs around somewhere...

Was Rise of legends an expansion or separate game?

Separate game. It's sort of the Age of Mythology to Rise of Nation's Age of Empires, but rather than going with classical myths as a base, they made up their own factions. Vinci (Italian Renaissance Clockpunk) vs. Alin (1001 Arabian Nights) vs. Cuotl (Sufficiently Advanced Aztecs). Had a great campaign, and the gameplay had a ton of fun variations on the formula RoN formula.

Top Bottom