• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age lore guide for newcomers: come ask your questions!

Sided with mages. :X

Can I fast forward the movie to see check it again, or do I have to sit through the whole thing?

Yeah, as others have mentioned, it might be a problem with the video or the Keep hasn't updated your choice. Sometimes it takes a bit for me to sync with recent changes.

Useful Videos:
Shoddycast videos:
Shoddycast’s Dragon Age Lore series
Topics covered: The World, The Elves, The Humans, The Dwarves, The Nations, Magic, Religion, and The Blight.

Dragon Age Origins: Story and Lore
Topics covered: Summary of Dragon Age Origins’ over-all plot and some more background. Seems to follow the default world state and decisions, but doesn’t go into specifics due to all of the choices in the game.

Mr Shizno videos:
MrShizno’s Dragon Age Lore series
Topics covered: Geography, Elves, Dwarves, Qunari, Darkspawn, Grey Wardens and the Chantry.

LORE videos:

Dragon Age 2 Lore in a minute
Topics covered: gives you a very basic idea of the happenings of DAII. I would suggest to read the wiki entry on the plot and Hawke’s entry to get a better idea of the plot since this series is usually used just to get you interested in a game/movie enough for you to go get it.

If anybody wants an introduction to the world or a refresher, I cannot recommend the videos above enough. Especially the Shoddycast video series. Great production values and entertaining, not to mention informative.

Teeth

Did they ever expand on the Architect or the awakened Darkspawn in any of the novels? I found that portion of the lore fascinating.

I was actually halfway through finishing a story mod for Origins that dealt with a rogue Grey Warden that was capturing other Wardens to feed to Darkspawn to get them to go through the joining to create Awakened Darkspawn, then drink their blood to create immortal Wardens with connections to the old ones. It was interlinked with a side story about a dwarf selling cut lyrium, creating a massive amount of junkies and a wide drug economy. I should finish that someday.

Anyway...enough fanfic...anything about the aforementioned characters in any expanded universe lore?

Ralemont

not me
Anyway...enough fanfic...anything about the aforementioned characters in any expanded universe lore?

The latest we've heard is from the newest novel, the Last Flight. I'll write out the passage here; the context is new potential recruits being asked to do research while waiting for the Joining.

"It's something to do with blood magic, I gather, although the chamberlain's being tight-lipped about the details. Old, whatever it is..."
"Blood magic?"
"You'll be looking for accounts where Wardens acted...strangely. Disregarding their posts, abandoning their orders, things of that nature. You'll also be looking for mentions of unusual darkspawn - ones who could talk and think like men. These things may occur separately or together. It doesn't matter. Make note of both..."

This combined with the Wardens being up to something they deemed more important than the Qunari invasion in DA2, and Corypheus's ability to dominate and control Wardens' minds in DA2's Legacy DLC, may point to a convergence in Inquisition. We'll find out!

No mention of the Architect by name since Awakening, I believe.

Teeth

The latest we've heard is from the newest novel, the Last Flight. I'll write out the passage here; the context is new potential recruits being asked to do research while waiting for the Joining.

"It's something to do with blood magic, I gather, although the chamberlain's being tight-lipped about the details. Old, whatever it is..."
"Blood magic?"
"You'll be looking for accounts where Wardens acted...strangely. Disregarding their posts, abandoning their orders, things of that nature. You'll also be looking for mentions of unusual darkspawn - ones who could talk and think like men. These things may occur separately or together. It doesn't matter. Make note of both..."

This combined with the Wardens being up to something they deemed more important than the Qunari invasion in DA2, and Corypheus's ability to dominate and control Wardens' minds in DA2's Legacy DLC, may point to a convergence in Inquisition. We'll find out!

No mention of the Architect by name since Awakening, I believe.

Thanks. If I had to guess (and I have nothing to base this on), I'd say that the Architect is like Corypheus, one of those original magisters. Better explanation than the one he gives ("Yo, I've always been this way.")

Ralemont

not me
Thanks. If I had to guess (and I have nothing to base this on), I'd say that the Architect is like Corypheus, one of those original magisters. Better explanation than the one he gives ("Yo, I've always been this way.")

That's my guess as well.

Architect:

1296408-architect_03.jpg

Corypheus:

I still have last 3rd of DA:O to do and I am skipping 2 because its really hard to find a decently priced copy but is awaking worth the time or is it shippable?

Xeteh

This is really cool. I keep thinking of replaying DA2 even though I loathed it just to remind myself of the story but I've played through DA:O at least 10 times. I can't wait for Inquisition.

First of all, thanks OP for this great OT.

However, I have a question:

What race should I Chose, if I want to be a magician, who kills the enemies with powerful magic?
Elve, Dwarve, Human or Quanari?

Thanks in advance.

Astrates

Elves are known to excel at poverty.

Best line of the thread.

Antiva – Rich trade country with a capital that serves as a hub of commerce. Usually talk like Italian people. The Antivan Crows are the most notorious assassin’s guild in Thedas.

I always thought it was more of a Spanish to be honest. Considering Zevran sounds just like Antonio Banderas playing Puss in Boots.

Question1: Could you choose your race is DA2? I don't remember?
Question2: Do you play as Hawke in Inquisition?

1. No. Hawke was human but you could customize his looks and gender.
2. We don't know if we get to control him again. Doubt it. He will definitely show up as it can be seen in reviews and trailers.

First of all, thanks OP for this great OT.

However, I have a question:

What race should I Chose, if I want to be a magician, who kills the enemies with powerful magic?
Elve, Dwarve, Human or Quanari?

Thanks in advance.

Human- you are the most privileged race, and the backstory is that you come from a high class family. Pretty boring.

Dwarf- you can't be a mage with dwarves

Elf- the story in this one is that you are the primary magician of the leader of your dalish tribe. Think of it as the shaman to a native american tribe (or the magical equivalent).

Qunari- Mages tend to be these badass weapons of war chained up and forced to slavery but highly respected as a weapon of war. In this game you are part of a group of mercenary Qunary who don't follow this tradition and the mage would be free.

Personally I'll be going with Qunari mage. Because:
1. First game we can play as Qunari.
2. Dalish elf backstory imho is extremely boring. Magical tribe people has been done to death.
3. Human is boring. Qunari and Elf main characters will face racism, more interesting.
4. Mage Qunari were only introduced in DAII so we haven't really seen properly how many there are which could make you pretty damn rare.

Hastati

Thank you SO MUCH for this wonderful thread. Stopped about halfway through Origins, very confused about the lore after a number of years.

Are any of the Dragon Age books worth reading? I can't go back to Origins, but want to somehow re-immerse myself in the universe before diving in to Inquisition.

I still have last 3rd of DA:O to do and I am skipping 2 because its really hard to find a decently priced copy but is awaking worth the time or is it shippable?

Skippable IMO. Storywise it has a coule of interesting wrinkles that may or many not be followed up in DA:I but nothing earth shattering IMO (The DA2 Legacy DLC is far more important ). It used a new set of companions (except for Ogrhen) and, of those companions, only Anders/Justice has had any relevance and Anders characterization in DA2 was nothing like how he acted in Awakenings.

In terms of gameplay it's really poorly balanced. They throw so much high level gear at you so fast that the game is a total cake walk and devoid of tactical challenge. The other unique aspect is some Stronghold management stuff but it's poorly done and DA:I seems to be doing that right anyway.

ColdRose

Thank you SO MUCH for this wonderful thread. Stopped about halfway through Origins, very confused about the lore after a number of years.

Are any of the Dragon Age books worth reading? I can't go back to Origins, but want to somehow re-immerse myself in the universe before diving in to Inquisition.

None of them are mindblowing or anything but imo they're all worth a read. The Stolen Throne gives some background in to Loghain, Maric
(Alistair's dad)
and the Orlesian occupation of Ferelden; The Calling is all about Grey Wardens and it also introduces The Architect, a character from Awakening; Asunder deals with the mage/templar conflict to an extent, and features a couple of characters from Origins and also introduces Cole (one of the DAI companions); Masked Empire is all about the Orlesian Civil War and the Elves; and Last Flight delves into the history of one of the Blights and the Wardens who ended it.

The last three are particularly good, in my opinion. World of Thedas is a really nice book for just immersing yourself in a bit of lore, too :)

Hastati

None of them are mindblowing or anything but imo they're all worth a read. The Stolen Throne gives some background in to Loghain, Maric
(Alistair's dad)
and the Orlesian occupation of Ferelden; The Calling is all about Grey Wardens and it also introduces The Architect, a character from Awakening; Asunder deals with the mage/templar conflict to an extent, and features a couple of characters from Origins and also introduces Cole (one of the DAI companions); Masked Empire is all about the Orlesian Civil War and the Elves; and Last Flight delves into the history of one of the Blights and the Wardens who ended it.

The last three are particularly good, in my opinion. World of Thedas is a really nice book for just immersing yourself in a bit of lore, too :)

Thanks a bunch!! I'll check them out before I start, I needed some source of emotional investment before going in.

Kagutaba

I'm always impressed by how good Bioware is at creating things like lore, culture, religion and history in their games. And they do it so effortlessly too it seems. People may criticize Bioware's stories for being overly formulaic and their endings for being last minute, and maybe they should. But when it comes to creating and presenting attractive and cohesive universes Bioware is still so much better than developers like Bethesda, Blizzard and CD Project Red in my opinion.

Wowzers thanks a bunch for this! Getting it on Christmas. Have never played a Dragon Age Game. In inquisition can you go to Orzammar (I know I'm saying this wrong:the underground Dwarven City)???

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
If I were to rank the companion content they've released outside the games I'd have to go:

Great Tier:
Asunder(Novel)
The Masked Empire(Novel)
Last Flight(Novel)
World of Thedas(Book)

Good Tier:
The Stolen Throne(Novel)
The Calling(Novel)
The Silent Grove(Comic)
Those Who Speak(Comic)
Until We Sleep(Comic)

It's not Bad Tier:
Dawn of the Seeker(Animated Film)
Dragon Age(Orson Scott Card Comic)
Penny Arcade mini Comics(Web Comic)

Not worth your time Tier:
Redemption(Short Film)
The Warden's Fall(Web Series)

dralla

Just read through OP but I'm gonna need more. Anyone know if there's a codec in the game similar to Mass Effect?

ColdRose

Is the new game purely an rpg or is it an action rpg? I do not like rpgs, but enjoy action rpgs.

It's possible to play as either an over-the-shoulder action rpg, or zoom the camera out and pause the game to issue orders and play more tactically. It seems to be a pretty good hybrid system, though I can't say for certain since I haven't played yet :)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Is the new game purely an rpg or is it an action rpg? I do not like rpgs, but enjoy action rpgs.

I have this question, too!

I like action games way more than RPGs but the depth and scope of this appeals to me. Where does it sit on the scale?

Edit: I guess what I'm getting at is there an element of twitch / action skill required or is it more passive / equipment and button mashy (Diablo 3 is the only action RPG I've played and it was too shallow in terms of action mechanics for me)

Ralemont

not me

For the purposes of Inquisition's story the most relevant books, by far, are Masked Empire and Asunder. Which is a good thing since they are both very well-written!

I have this question, too!

I like action games way more than RPGs but the depth and scope of this appeals to me. Where does it sit on the scale?

It's more of an RPG than an action game. You can play it like a real-time action game but twitch skills will play very little role in your success. More important will be knowing when to utilize your abilities, spacing your party, etc. If I had to compare it to anything, I'd compare it to an MMO like GW2 or A Realm Reborn.

iJudged

Banned
Fist of all, awesome OP!

Second, I can't fucking wait!
Third, I can't fucking wait!
Fourth, I can't fucking wait!
Fifth, I can't fucking wait!
Sixth, I can't fucking wait!
E. T. C.

Hype infinity....

One question, what is the main thing that separates this and Witcher 3 as far as gameplay goes? How are the world's different? Why is this game not as hype as the Witcher?

Fist of all, awesome OP!

Second, I can't fucking wait!
Third, I can't fucking wait!
Fourth, I can't fucking wait!
Fifth, I can't fucking wait!
Sixth, I can't fucking wait!
E. T. C.

Hype infinity....

One question, what is the main thing that separates this and Witcher 3 as far as gameplay goes? How are the world's different? Why is this game nor as hype as the Witcher?

Witcher 3 will have the visual punch plus it will be the [supposed] end of the series. CD Projekt Red have also not really streamlined their game for main audiences, they make the game they want to make which coincides with hardcore rpg fans. Makes it difficult too. Witcher 2 is also considered one of the best recent rpg's in ages.

But I think a huge reason is that Witcher is less traditional fantasy and more dark fantasy. You could make the argument for Dragon Age as well, but the design of Witcher creatures and the established neutral character of Geralt makes it stand out narrative-wise, which is where it excels.

There's also the fact the Witcher series was a group of short stories and novels before the game series came out, and it's an alternate/optional continuation to what happens after the novels. So for readers of the book it's great to see familiar faces and situations, references to events in the novel, etc...

iJudged

Banned
Witcher 3 will have the visual punch plus it will be the [supposed] end of the series. CD Projekt Red have also not really streamlined their game for main audiences, they make the game they want to make which coincides with hardcore rpg fans. Makes it difficult too. Witcher 2 is also considered one of the best recent rpg's in ages.

But I think a huge reason is that Witcher is less traditional fantasy and more dark fantasy. You could make the argument for Dragon Age as well, but the design of Witcher creatures and the established neutral character of Geralt makes it stand out narrative-wise, which is where it excels.

There's also the fact the Witcher series was a group of short stories and novels before the game series came out, and it's an alternate/optional continuation to what happens after the novels. So for readers of the book it's great to see familiar faces and situations, references to events in the novel, etc...
Amazing, thank you. Would you know the world size of the Witcher? Larger, smaller then the Dragon Age?

Ralemont

not me
One question, what is the main thing that separates this and Witcher 3 as far as gameplay goes?

The Witcher 2 and 3 are more action-y and built around playing as a single character, whereas Dragon Age is built around having a 4-person party. Accordingly it's more focused on exploiting enemy weaknesses and building a balanced party that has enough offense, defense, and crowd control to handle a variety of encounters.

How are the world's different?

Unfortunately I'm no expert on Witcher lore, but I think the worlds are similar in some ways. There's the focus on racism, for example. TW3 seems more interested in politics between countries built against a fairy tale-esque backdrop, whereas Dragon Age focuses more on politics within a country and how various religions have influenced the social constructs of the world.

Why is this game not as hype as the Witcher?

DA2 left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths whereas TW2 was generally well-received. Lately though there's been a lot of positive buzz about DA: I, and it's been sitting at the #1 most popular upcoming game on Gamespot's site tracking metrics for awhile.

Great post! I'm a little nervous diving into this game having not played either of the first two games, but here goes nothing! This should help a bit.

Top Bottom