• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age lore guide for newcomers: come ask your questions!

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
Let us take this time (again) to say goodbye to the greatest party member which sadly didn't show up again

gu3P5yl.gif

RIP in Pieces Barkspawn

*pours one for his homie*

I hated that stupid dog, good riddance.

RiverKwai

Just as a note, the OP says that Dwarves don't give a shit (in regards to religion) which is not technically true. Dwarves worship the stone (they tunnel in, shape, and live in stone cities underground) and believe they are born from the stone, live under the stone, and when they die, return to the stone. They revere and worship ancestors whom they believe to have been reabsorbed and strengthened the stone. Occasionally a dwarf will do something extraordinary to elevate him or herself in the eyes of Dwarven society and they are called Paragons, who are essentially treated as living ancestors.

Just a summary. :)

I think something should be added to the OP about the Dwarven caste system. It's a pretty integral part of their culture. Especially the part about surface dwarves losing their caste, since you've already mentioned them.

Etaber

/nitpick

Do the grey wardens drink arch demon blood or darkspawn blood? I remember it as darkspawn but it has been a long time.

Ashodin

It's both. The Archdemon blood isn't mentioned until late game.

Oh really? I had forgotten that tidbit. You saying it wasn't until later reminded me of a conversation that takes place that reveals it's Archdemon's blood and is why you can see the Archdemon in your dreams, since you have a link with it.

Perhaps it's not appropriate for a lore thread but as a Dragon Age newbie, I'm really interested in knowing who the surprise returning characters are and if I need to set them up to appear with the Keep. I really want to experience the widest range of characters I can.

Perhaps it's not appropriate for a lore thread but as a Dragon Age newbie, I'm really interested in knowing who the surprise returning characters are and if I need to set them up to appear with the Keep. I really want to experience the widest range of characters I can.
That we know of from trailers/reviews:

Returning characters from Dragon Age Origins:
Morrigan- Automatic regardless of choices.
Leliana- Hilariously automatic regardless of choices.
A third one that Dawg mentioned earlier but if you really want to know
King Anders or Loghain

Returning characters from Dragon Age II:
Varric- a must for any party he's awesome
Hawke- lead character of DAII. We don't know how big of an involvement he/she has.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
Would anyone happen to have a guide like this, for dragon age keep?

I partially played the first game as a dwarf, only got a few hours in, stopped around the point where
you meet that witch's daughter meredith or something to that effect.
. I didn't play the second game at all, however I would like to make some decisions in the keep so that I can have my own little world to start with.

I tried to play around with the keep the other day but I found that it went too fast and didnt give me enough time to make a decision, nor did it give me enough back story to actually make a decision. So I was wondering if theres some sort of guide for this so I don't feel left out and get stuck with random world X when I start the game.

Kirie

Would anyone happen to have a guide like this, for dragon age keep?

I partially played the first game as a dwarf, only got a few hours in, stopped around the point where
you meet that witch's daughter meredith or something to that effect.
. I didn't play the second game at all, however I would like to make some decisions in the keep so that I can have my own little world to start with.

I tried to play around with the keep the other day but I found that it went too fast and didnt give me enough time to make a decision, nor did it give me enough back story to actually make a decision. So I was wondering if theres some sort of guide for this so I don't feel left out and get stuck with random world X when I start the game.

Try this out! http://thedialoguewheel.wordpress.com/ :) A nice little guide to go along with the Keep.

That we know of from trailers/reviews:

Returning characters from Dragon Age Origins:
Morrigan- Automatic regardless of choices.
Leliana- Hilariously automatic regardless of choices.
A third one that Dawg mentioned earlier but if you really want to know
King Anders or Loghain

Returning characters from Dragon Age II:
Varric- a must for any party he's awesome
Hawke- lead character of DAII. We don't know how big of an involvement he/she has.

You mean
King Alistair, right? xD

He would be the absolute worst king ever xD

Royal Subject: King Anders a man stabbed twenty people to death.
King Anders: By the Maker. Pray tell subject, was he a mage?
Royal Subject: Why.... y-yes my lord I think he is though I don't see how th-
King Anders: SLANDER! RACISM! LET HIM BE FREE!

How did the Quickening make elves mortal?

In the old gods myth, why did the gods suggest for the magisters to enter the golden kingdom/city? Did they know what would happen?

Why did Tevinter kill Andraste?

Are the Circle of Magi a place? A collective term for Magi prisoners? Or something else?

So the darkspawn live underground, and look for the old gods who are also underground, or are they in the Fade? do the darkspawn enter the fade at will/in their sleep and look for the god? Is there an underground city of darkspawn or what?

If the Grey Wardens are simply ones of who are immune to taint, how did they originally find archdemon blood to drink?

Are Seekers of Truth just devout follows of the Chantry?

Nothing major happens in ages 2-5, and 7-8?

So, all this time that mages are imprisoned, what is the city of mages doing? They aren't at war with everyone else for holding mages?

Why does Hawke help/attack the Mage? How does he fit in at that part? Is he just some guy caught in the middle?

Meredith is defeated either way? What happens if you help the templars?

What is the civil war in Orlais about? Why does the Chantry help the mages here, if they are the ones who employ the templars? Is there a chantry in every human country?

Lord Seeker Lambert declares the Seekers and Templars split from the Chantry
Why? Who is Lambert? Why does he want to kill the mages?

Cassandra Pentaghast captures a dwarf named Varric and tries to find out where Hawke is, hoping Hawke can contribute to peace talks
Who is Cassandra, how does Varric know where Hawke is, and why is he so important that he can contribute to peace? Peace with the mages/templars?

And why didn't the templars just kill mages instead of making them prisoners?

There are some people on both sides trying for peace?

Lol, boy, I feel like we've open a rabbit hole :p

So what's up with Morrigan and her mom after DA:O? Are they in Inquisition?

Morrigan is confirmed, Flemeth isn't.

I gather we didn't get the whole story about their relationship from either Morrigan or Flemeth in Origins and DAII, so who knows. Generally speaking though, Morrigan is on the run and we don't know if Flemeth is bothering to pursue or not.

Lots of questions, so I'll just field the first.

My personal theory on the matter is that the notion of immortality is the elves' way of glorifying their past, and the "quickening" a means of coming to terms with the fall of their civilization. We know that old elves entered an "eternal sleep" from which they never awoke, and that the places they entered this sleep look a lot like tombs in Origins. Clearly to any human it just sounds like their elders died and instead of facing the reality of their mortality they instead chose to weave a new mythology around it. From a realistic perspective, the "quickening" could also allude to any number of the plagues and illnesses the humans carried with them from across the sea that the elves simply weren't prepared for. Humans arrive, elves die prematurely of plague, they justify it as a "quickening" to keep in line with their mythology surrounding death - or the denial of death. This isn't really based on any canonical sources, but I think it's pretty sound.

Dragon Age has very nice and detailed lore, and a good story across the games so far. So hopefully Inquisition isn't a repeat of Mass Effect 3, my sweet. Fingers are crossed. Not that Inquisition is the end of a trilogy or anything, but too often they get so far in and stumble.

Ashodin

responses in bold

Just being around the mortal races (humans) sapped their energy and immortality. Supposedly. In actuality, it's still a mystery.

In the old gods myth, why did the gods suggest for the magisters to enter the golden kingdom/city? Did they know what would happen?

Most likely they knew what would happen, or rather, wanted the world to know the truth about the Golden City (it was already black).

Maferath resented her being in power as a woman. Simple misogyny.

Are the Circle of Magi a place? A collective term for Magi prisoners? Or something else?

Circles are a group of Magi watched by Templar in their towers. There's hierarchy, but laughable as they answer to the Knight-Commander.

So the darkspawn live underground, and look for the old gods who are also underground, or are they in the Fade? do the darkspawn enter the fade at will/in their sleep and look for the god? Is there an underground city of darkspawn or what?

Old Gods are underground and deep at that, so yes, they are just lying there. The darkspawn can "sense" the Old God much like a radar, and continually search for one. Once an Old God has been found, they cease and a Blight begins. As for an underground city, well, more likely the Thaigs of the Dwarves are being held as a "city".

If the Grey Wardens are simply ones of who are immune to taint, how did they originally find archdemon blood to drink?

Assumedly, gathered from the fields fought by soldiers in the First Blight.

Seekers are those who are the "proto" Inquisition. They want to know the truth of everything and answer only to the Divine.

Lots of stuff happen, but it's the Blights that are most important, as they are potentially cataclysmic events.

So, all this time that mages are imprisoned, what is the city of mages doing? They aren't at war with everyone else for holding mages?

Tevinter? They give fuck all for any other mages besides their own. They have relatively less power than the olden days, and want to keep to themselves while they consolidate. It's an isolationist state.

Why does Hawke help/attack the Mage? How does he fit in at that part? Is he just some guy caught in the middle?

It is assumed that Hawke is a mage in the default state, and yes, Hawke is caught in the middle and has relevancy because your sister/brother will be a mage/templar depending on your choice in DA2.

Yes. The story and your choices do matter, but the end result is that Meredith still goes off the deep end because of the red lyrium. If you help the Templars, you become Viscount of Kirkwall, and try to maintain order instead of all-out war.

What is the civil war in Orlais about? Why does the Chantry help the mages here, if they are the ones who employ the templars? Is there a chantry in every human country?

Grand Duke Gaspard, a subordinate of Empress Celene, thinks that the recent events with the mages and elves means Celene is too goody two shoes to do anything about it. He sets up an ambush, and the Empress gets away. After some events with some elves, they are in full out war with each other. The Chantry can do dick all about the mages because they're in war with the Templars now. There is usually a Chantry is every human country, yes. I'm not sure about the Anderfels though, as they are a barbarian-like tribal race.

Another Templar guy who has seething hatred for mages. His unflinching dedication to policing them and the truth leads him to believe that the Chantry, like the Empress, won't do shit about mages. So he will.

Who is Cassandra, how does Varric know where Hawke is, and why is he so important that he can contribute to peace? Peace with the mages/templars?

Cassandra is a seeker who left them to start the Inquisition with Leliana (from DAO). Hawke is a major player of the beginning of the conflict from DA2 and knows how to mediate conflict (through conflict of his own or otherwise).

They're not "prisoners", only over time have they been seen this way. In the beginning, it was just all about keeping mages together so they could watch over each other, and use magic for good (stopping blights and doing harmless research). Templars have the right to kill mages at any time they think they're a threat (indeed, the entire Circle) by using the Rite of Annulment - an ancient Chantry sanctioned vow that allows them to murder mages indiscriminately.

Yes. My mage Hawke and my mage Inquisitor are vying for this.

Woah. In order:

-Nobody knows. Hell, nobody knows if the Quickening is even a real thing.

-Apparently, they didn't suggest it so much as tell them how. The whole thing is still very much shrouded in myth, however.

-Because she was a threat to their power, and, in fact, leading a crusade against them :p

-The Circle of Magi is an organization whose purpose is (was) to instruct and control mages. Sort of like Hogwarts with mandatory attendance and indefinite terms :p

-The Old Gods are apparently sleeping underground all over Thedas. A Blight begins when the Darkspawn find one and taint it in its sleep so it becomes an Archdemon. There are no known Darkspawn cities (though that might have changed since Awakening).

-The Gray Wardens are not simply immune to the taint. Becoming a Warden involves drinking a potion, one whose components include a large quantity of Darkspawn blood, a single drop of Archdemon blood, and I'm pretty sure some other stuff besides. Also, they're technically not immune to the taint. Eventually, every Warden succumbs to it, and before they become a ghoul, they descend into the Deep Roads to try and kill as many Darkspawn as they can.

-The Seekers of Truth are sort of the intelligence arm of the Chantry, where the Templars the military.

-Nothing they've gone into, no.

-Either Hawke is a mage, or he has (had) a Sister who is (was) a mage, or else he's just trying to hold the city together.

-If you help the Templars, Meredith eventually goes absolutely insane and starts using the Red Lyrium sword to attack everybody, regardless of faction.

-Civil war in Orlais is about what most civil wars in feudal (or semi-feudal) societies are about: power and succession. The Empress is getting (relatively) old, she doesn't have any heirs, all appearances point to her being gay, and just to top it off she seems friendly with the elves.

-I don't think anybody is 100% certain what Lambert's deal is. Other than people who've played the game.

-Cassandra is a Seeker, and she's one of the good ones. Varric might know where Hawke is simply because he was a close companion of his. Hawke is viewed as having played a pivotal role in the eruption of the conflict (though we know that's not technically true), so that's why they think that finding him might help the peace.

-They don't kill all the mages because that's not what Andraste told them to do (or rather, not what the chant tells them Andraste told them to do).

Okay, I tried to answer as many questions as I could without getting too complicated. I skipped a few that my knowledge prevents me from giving an educated answer to.

This is a sound theory, yes. The will of the old gods is unknowable, of course. Perhaps they sought to enter a new phase of history, much like Flemeth and Morrigan seem to be seeking.

Andraste was the figure head of a massive slave revolt and Tevinter is dependent on slavery to thrive.

The circle is several places spread all throughout human civilization, and not all of them are prisons. Just the worst.

No one has been able to descend deep enough in the Deep Roads to know where all the Darkspawn are coming from. Human myth posits they come from the fade, dwarven myth posits that they simply "come from below"...We know they come from below, but that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't coming from the Fade, either.

It seems the first wardens simply imbibed darspawn blood treated with mystic rituals from Tevinter and ancient Arlathan. No archdemon blood until they'd killed an archdemon. Perhaps the archdemon blood isn't necessary?

Tevinter doesn't care about mages outside of Tevinter. They're selfish and insular.

Hawke is definitely a victim of circumstance, but he can be played as a more active participant if you choose.

The Templars abandon Meredith as mad and assist you in killing her.

So far? Mercy. But believe me, many templars have suggested just this.

I hope so!

Lots of questions, so I'll just field the first.

My personal theory on the matter is that the notion of immortality is the elves' way of glorifying their past, and the "quickening" a means of coming to terms with the fall of their civilization. We know that old elves entered an "eternal sleep" from which they never awoke, and that the places they entered this sleep look a lot like tombs in Origins. Clearly to any human it just sounds like their elders died and instead of facing the reality of their mortality they instead chose to weave a new mythology around it. From a realistic perspective, the "quickening" could also allude to any number of the plagues and illnesses the humans carried with them from across the sea that the elves simply weren't prepared for. Humans arrive, elves die prematurely of plague, they justify it as a "quickening" to keep in line with their mythology surrounding death - or the denial of death. This isn't really based on any canonical sources, but I think it's pretty sound.

Its been said though that they really did live forever, or at least for a lot longer then a human lifespan, that the peopel who did go for that eternal sleep were thousands of years old at the time. What I got from it is that the eternal sleep was more like assisted suicide for people so old they were basically just calling it quits for this realm and wanted to go live in the spirit realm instead. The way the view spirits and the fade, and we knows when they die they do go there, they probably do look at it like life just keeps going in a new place without our bodies. Or maybe the ritual allowed them more consciousness within the fade, like mummification in real life preserving the soul in the afterlife, and that regular non-ritualized death means for a shittier experience in the afterlife. Idk. Its all just stories, all we can really do is conjecture.

Kirie

Royal Subject: King Anders a man stabbed twenty people to death.
King Anders: By the Maker. Pray tell subject, was he a mage?
Royal Subject: Why.... y-yes my lord I think he is though I don't see how th-
King Anders: SLANDER! RACISM! LET HIM BE FREE!

Hahah, sounds about right :p I'm a huge pro-mage advocate and I can't stand the guy.

Yes she is. Same with Orsino. If you help the Templars, you basically end up going after Orsino and the mages first, defeat them with Meredith's help...Then she ends up turning on Hawke, accusing him of plotting against her and orders Hawke to be executed.

Her subordinate Cullen sees that she's gone mad and orders her to step down. Of course she doesn't, and pulls out her sword made of red lyrium (which basically made her go insane and give her super-human stength) Hawke, his allies, Cullen and the Templars defeat her, and at the end and Hawke is appointed Viscount of Kirkwall.

Afterwards Varric tells Cassandra that Hawke ends up disappearing suddenly, and that's the end.

For the siding with the mages it's similar, but Hawke and his allies are all allowed to leave Kirkwall unharmed after Meredith is killed. He ends up disappearing just like in the Templar ending.

Sorry if that was too long of an explanation, or if anything didn't make sense D:

Ralemont

not me

Unknown since it's just an old old event the elves claim happen, but they totally blame humans arriving for it.

According to Corypheus the Old Gods promised they would become gods as well and that the Golden City held the power to do so. Did they know what would happen? We don't know, but since the City was already corrupted when the magisters entered their motives are suspect.

She was trying to conquer them so they'd worship The Maker.

It's the name for the institution of mages guarded by templars, like "college" is for students to learn. But yes it also always has an isolated physical location, much like colleges again.

It's all physical, no Fade. The Old Gods are corporeal when the darkspawn find them. There's no city, the darkspawn simply infest everything not held by the dwarves.

They aren't immune, just resistant. Eventually they fall victim to the taint, but most embark on what's called The Calling before that happens, which simply means they go to the Deep Roads and kill darkspawn until they are killed.

As for the Joining before they killed the First Archdemon...

20140108-172659.jpg

World of Thedas says they drank just darkspawn blood and managed to kill the First.

Traditionally they are loyal to the Chantry and its teachings, yes. Many Seekers are elevated from being Templars. Cassandra is a Seeker who was elevated from being a Nevarran dragon hunter for saving the Divine. Seekers are basically the Divine's Sardaukar, if you're a Dune fan.

Probably nothing worth noting for Inquisition. The timeline of events is listed on the bottom edge of the entire 150+ page book, to give you an idea how many events are listed. I tried to just pick the most relevant ones.

Much of their effort is devoted towards war against the Qunari, but they are also a bit hesitant since the Chantry has united Thedas against them in what's called an Exalted March (crusade basically) a few times before.

I'm sure Shinobi will explain in his OT, but Hawke saves Kirkwall from a Qunari invasion, killing the Qunari military leader. He's crowned Champion and becomes the second most important person in Kirkwall behind Meredith. This draws him into politics which necessarily means the deteriorating tension between Kirkwall's templars and mages. When Anders blows up the Chantry and Meredith invokes the Right, he's called upon to support one or the other. You can actually support the templars in DA2, but considering Meredith is batshit insane, there's not a whole lot of reason to.

If you help the templars she's still influenced by red lyrium to turn on you and try to kill you after you've killed Orsino (leader of Kirkwall Circle).

1. Orlais nobility live for backstabbing and political gambles for power. Basically Gaspard wants to be Emperor so he ambushes Celene. By the end of the book Mask Empire they are both scrambling to assemble their political allies.

2. Basically the Divine secretly believes mages should be free.

3. Yes, with the possible exception of Rivain (which is largely still under the influence of the Qun) and Tevinter.

Now, after Tevinter killed Andraste, it's said their Archon (ruler) relented and believed Andraste was actually just. Tevinter began to follow the Chantry's teachings but couldn't abide by their plans for mages. So they split and formed the Imperial Chantry, which is largely the same as the Chantry except they preach mages should be in control instead of subservient.

Lambert is the Lord Seeker, so he's the highest ranked Seeker. He considers the Circle situation as absolute justice, so when mages rebel he gets fucking furious, and when he finds out the Chantry helped the mages he basically resolves to split off and deal with mages as he sees fit.

Cassandra is a Seeker who stayed loyal to the Chantry after Lambert split. Varric was Hawke's friend and a companion in DA2. Cassandra believes that since Hawke was there when the entire rebellion started, he may be able to help calm things down (the game is unclear about this. It may make sense or not depending how you RP Hawke).

Which templars? You mean why do Circles in the first place? Three reasons I guess.

1. Killing mages would be an ongoing process since more are born every day.
2. It would be inhumane, and would necessitate continuing inhumanity according to #1.
3. The Chantry can call upon mages in times of strife and war making them an extremely powerful subordinate army in wait (especially relevant during Blights).

Absolutely. Both templars and mages are very fragmented on their opinion of what to do. Some templars and mages believe the Circles should return. Some believe war is what needs to happen. Some believe a peace can be worked out without a return to the Circles. Some just abandon the conflict altogether and seek refuge among the Grey Wardens.

The elves only say that being near the humans Quickened them. The mechanics of this, or if it is actually true, are unknown. It's simply one of their legends.

Tevinter ruled the world and worshiped their own gods. Andraste amassed a great army under her "heretic" god and threatened their power.

It's an actual place. In Ferelden, it is a tower. In Kirkwall, it is a literal prison. Some Circles are more restrictive than others, depending on the politics of a particular nation.

The Darkspawn do not live in the Fade. That is only where the first Darkspawn were corrupted, or so the legend goes. They dig underground tunnels in the physical world in search of their sleeping gods. There's no known "city," per se, but Darkspawn have occupied the old dwarven thaigs (colonies) that were lost centuries ago.

I think you're asking about Tevinter. The Tevinter Imperium once ruled all of Thedas with an iron fist. They are now a shadow of their former self, and constantly at odds with the Qunari. They care little about other nations' affairs and other nations care little about Tevinter.

More or less. Throughout the course of the game Hawke helps/does jobs for people from all walks of life throughout the city of Kirkwall. By the end of the game he just kind of knows everybody.

The ending of the game is largely identical regardless of who you side with. It's one of the game's many flaws.

Cassandra is a Seeker who, in DA2, is trying to discover the cause behind the mage/templar war. Varric was one of Hawke's companions, but he doesn't actually know where Hawke is. Cassandra believes that Hawke can bring greater understanding of the situation because of his central role in all of it.

Some Templars would advocate that, but many (especially before the war) don't see themselves as enemies of all mages. Regardless, such an act would be seen as unforgivably barbaric.

I think I answered all the ones I feel comfortable answering.

Honestly, I can't understand people who say the lore and world of Dragon Age is generic and/or dull.

I find all this super interesting. Thanks OP for making this thread :)

Thanks everyone! I am still confused with some things lol. I feel like maybe I should play DA:I and then ask questions as I go along, but this is all helpful!

So... the old gods were REAL gods/dragons? They actually existed? Why would they suggest to go into the kingdom when it results in them sleeping and turning into archdemons?

Honestly, I can't understand people who say the lore and world of Dragon Age is generic and/or dull.

I find all this super interesting. Thanks OP for making this thread :)

Yeah. Superficially, it's pretty standard Tolkein fare (men, dwarves, elves, orc-esque), but when you give it even a slightly closer look there's a ton going on beneath the surface. It uses the genre conventions rather than being bound by them.

Top Bottom