• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: Zelda Wii U Trailer Wasn’t Just In-Engine, It was Actually Gameplay

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
This video has finally drawn me back to the gaming side. I hadn't noticed all these interesting wii u games, both coming up and available already. If only this were coming out this year..

I may buy the mario kart bundle today. Appears to be the best deal.

wildfire

Banned
rsfqks.gif

I love the way the grass reacts to the explosion in the first part. And the particle effects. Just gorgeous.

If this is gameplay I will buy a Wii U. Fuck now I have to hope final fantasy XV is pc if I can afford to buy this.

I don't like the idea of buying 2 consoles.

wildfire

Banned
To everyone focused on the cloak, it's possible it was there simply for the dramatic unveil. There's no guarantee that it will be in the game.

Or perhaps, for story reasons, Link is in-hiding and the cloak allows him to conceal his presence. However, upon attacking an enemy, he's forced to remove it revealing his location.

Ugh, so excited to learn more. If Nintendo showcases a hands-on demo tomorrow, or a proper full-length trailer, on the Treehouse stream, I'm not so sure I'd be able to survive that.

If you guessed correctly about the cloak being a game mechanic then that "joke" about whether or not we were looking at Link was a meta commentary on this mechanic.

AU Tiger

If this ends up being 1080/60 then lawd have mercy...

Guess I'm buying a Wii U for christmas. Plenty of great games to keep me busy well into next year's Zelda U gaming coma I will peacefully slip into.

royox

I don't get it. How can this be "Ingame"?

rsfqks.gif

"Press X to unwear the cloack"??
"Press Y to awesome jump at slow mo withouth grabbing your sword and shield"?
"Press A to awesomely load a magic arrow on mid air and slow mo and then shoot it to the face of the monster while looking to the cam"?

Srsly, I just don't get it. For me that's more like an In Engine demo but with nobody playing it.

JimboJones

rsfqks.gif

"Press A to awesomely load a magic arrow on mid air and slow mo and then shoot it to the face of the monster while looking to the cam"?

Srsly, I just don't get it. For me that's more like an In Engine demo but with nobody playing it.

I think in game here just means it's running on the game engine vs being a pre rendered video.

If Naughty Dog can do that UC4 demo on PS4 at 1080p 60fps(it looks like CG), then I believe Nintendo can do this at 720p 30fps on Wii U.

Kriken

3D Zelda has never been known for its framerate, if it is indeed native 1080p, it'll be 1080/30, but I'm also willing to believe 720/30 as well

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

rsfqks.gif

eeverything was ingame up til the destruction of the bridge which most likely be the start of a cutscene

UrbanRats

rsfqks.gif

It just means real time.

In engine could be a prerendered video, done with the game engine, but beefed up.

Like Uncharted's cutscenes, for example.
Usually using better character models, better texture, more precise lighting, better AA etc.

This is realtime, meaning the graphics you'll see while playing the game.

I'm going to guess 1080/30. Iwata acknowledged that Zelda Wii U would have to be technically impressive, and Aonuma said 60fps was necessary for ALBW's 3D, but not for a console game.

Arttemis

It just means real time.

In engine could be a prerendered video, done with the game engine, but beefed up.

Like Uncharted's cutscenes, for example.
Usually using better character models, better texture, more precise lighting, better AA etc.

This is realtime, meaning the graphics you'll see while playing the game.

But the title of the thread implies that it isn't "just in-engine, it was actual gameplay." Unless there was a humorous title change? Because none of the camera angles look viable for using a controller, unless it's a (lame) QTE.

Kimawolf

wow lots of debate I am willing to take him at his word like I'm willing to take Naughty Dog at their word after all these are the people who are making the games not from PR bullcrap.

so if he says gameplay I'll believe this game play until proven otherwise.

UrbanRats

But the title of the thread implies that it isn't "just in-engine, it was actual gameplay." Unless there was a humorous title change? Because none of the camera angles look viable for using a controller, unless it's a (lame) QTE.

Again, by "gameplay" they probably mean in-game as opposed to just in-engine.

I also wouldn't be surprised if those were Epona's actual animations when riding around in the final game.
It's not that absurd to have a camera hack and still use regular ingame animations to make a trailer.

Just look at some of DeadendThrills screenshots, he often uses camera hacks to get more dramatic shots, but still works with what we can consider gameplay.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm going to guess 1080/30. Iwata acknowledged that Zelda Wii U would have to be technically impressive, and Aonuma said 60fps was necessary for ALBW's 3D, but not for a console game.

I think what Zelda U is gonna impress with is zero loading screens, if Monolith could achieve it on the Wii I see no reason for Nintendo's top teams won't achieve it on the Wii U.
That way they can finally make it so it takes a while for you to realise the fact that you're in a dungeon, further blending the overworld and dungeons

Again, by "gameplay" they probably mean in-game as opposed to just in-engine.

I also wouldn't be surprised if those were Epona's actual animations when riding around in the final game.
It's not that absurd to have a camera hack and still use regular ingame animations to make a trailer.

Just look at some of DeadendThrills screenshots, he often uses camera hacks to get more dramatic shots, but still works with what we can consider gameplay.

What's more telling is how Link was just chilling on the horse for a few minutes while Aonuma was talking.

Best looking game of E3 for sure, but I don't just believe it. In engine sure, but if thats gameplay than it has a terrible camera. Also allot of little things like the slow mo and the ripping off of the robe. Looks great but cmon.

Cuburt

I knew it. Hopefully we get some good analysis of that teaser from people to see what it can tell us about what the game might play like.

rsfqks.gif

It was camera, timescale trickey, etc I think
Megaton right here

I doubt very very end is gameplay though

Haunted

And they say the Wii U isn't next gen...
Looking at what they're able to do on the weaksauce WiiU, imagine what the talented Nintendo artists and programmers could achieve if they had similar power to the PS4 available to them!

diminishing returns

Starless

Neo Member
You can doubt Nintendo, but there's a reason why people don't doubt Naughty Dog.

Why don't people doubt Naughty Dog? They've not impressed me in years

Looking at what they're able to do on the weaksauce WiiU, imagine what the talented Nintendo artists and programmers could achieve if they had similar power to the PS4 available to them!

diminishing returns

Lol, a lot of Nintendo games are unique because of the way they utilize Nintendo's controls and system hardware, the only, and I do mean only way Nintendo games would be better on PS4 would be graphically.

balohna

So you can jump off your horse and draw your bow in mid-air? That's pretty cool. Link has been acrobatic but never THAT acrobatic.

One of the most disappointing things to me about TP was how Link was less fun to control than in WW. More acrobatics can't hurt! Would probably just be a timing-based button press, but in the heat of battle it would still feel nice to pull off.

Top Bottom