• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: Zelda Wii U Trailer Wasn’t Just In-Engine, It was Actually Gameplay

Lernaean

Banned
But this is Where the entire confusion comes from. Zelda games never have pre-rendered cutscenes, they're always in-engine, with in-game assets, but better animation. Aonuma probably meant that everything is in-engine with actual assets, meaning that it's indeed what the game looks like, even if it's cutscenes.
Everything from the part at the bridge is a cutscene. That's definitely not gameplay.

And yet it's gameplay. The two first shots fired is gameplay, you can even notice the animation interpolation as Epona repositions on the bridge. The third shot is scripted but i could even say it's exactly how the two previous shots where fired. I'm sure the new Zelda will have all the subtle animations it is known for and the bow draw&shoot animation was the same in the two previous shots, just not visible from the camera angle.

The trailer ofc wasn't live, uninterrupted and unedited gameplay, so the camera shot the footage of the third shot in slo-mo and then they edited the footage to compile the trailer.

I don't see anything that can't be done in that trailer actually, that's basic stuff.

lo zaffo

Not an expert here, my 2 cents are that it is, and it will not be in-game, I don't think it is in-engine neither, maybe it could be pc-development kit-built prototype showcase trailer of in-engine stuff, as it obvioulsly meant to be to everyone watching.
Aonuma is a nice guy anycase, totally forgiven.

Lernaean

Banned
Not an expert here, my 2 cents are that it is, and it will not be in-game, I don't think it is in-engine neither, maybe it could be pc-development kit-built prototype showcase trailer of in-engine stuff, as it obvioulsly meant to be to everyone watching.

So you are expecting what we saw to be downgraded when the game releases?

If so i'd like you to show me another WiiU game that Nintendo revealed and was not upgraded by the time it released.

what if the game was not running on wii u!!!

Yeah, Eiji Aonuma, a veteran for like 25 years in the industry, with an illustrious record either blatantly lied twice or is a complete moron not knowing what gameplay really is and made the same mistake twice.

There are not enough crows in the planet, truly.

lo zaffo

If so i'd like you to show me another WiiU game that Nintendo revealed and was not upgraded by the time it released.

Yeah, Eiji Aonuma, a veteran for like 25 years in the industry, with an illustrious record either blatantly lied twice or is a complete moron not knowing what gameplay really is and made the same mistake twice.

First I want to affirm I'm a fan of EAD 3 team Zelda, not a problem here.

Fact#1: first Zelda U tease roll will never be in-game. It was a Wii U showcase. I don't expect anyone here to think it will be a component of Zelda U.

Fact#2: an amazing software team like Monolith soft indeed reworked Xenoblade Cross engine for good, I don't expect anyone here to think two years ago tease roll will be a component of Xenoblade Cross.

Expecially after seeing Zelda U tease and trailers and Xenoblade Cross tease and trailers I starded to think that gates are open even on Nintendo side: trailers and release will and can be oranges and apples.

phanphare

Banned

so many commas o_O

also I'd take Aonuma's word against your non-expert speculation. no offense intended.

lo zaffo

Fact#1: first Zelda U tease roll will never be in-game. It was a Wii U showcase. I don't expect anyone here to think it will be a component of Zelda U.

Fact#2: an amazing software team like Monolith soft indeed reworked Xenoblade Cross engine for good, I don't expect anyone here to think two years ago tease roll will be a component of Xenoblade Cross.

Expecially after seeing Zelda U tease and trailers and Xenoblade Cross tease and trailers I starded to think that gates are open even on Nintendo side: trailers and release will and can be oranges and apples.

Wynnebeck

Banned
To be fair, I never seen Nintendo failing people with Zelda tech demos to real game. Regarding Naughty Dog... well, Uncharted 3 has seen some downgrade, same for TLoU (I'm speaking for the first in engine reveal).

Like someone had said before, we're talking about a downgrade of a pre-rendered cutscene after ND were forced to support 3D almost right at the end of development. Out of all the Uncharted games, UC3 had the greatest amount of crunch since ND put themselves in a trap announcing a release date of November, about a year later. It killed them.

Dude... why even bring ND into this thread? You know that any mention of how they downgrade games will have the ND fans swarm you like ants dude. Now we'll have 1200 posts all talking about how they had to do this or that etc etc.

A little persecution in the afternoon never hurt right? :D

It´s not important where I got the images. The point is there has been a noticeable downgrade from the E3 build and the excuses won´t change that the game they shipped looked considerably worse.

If you have evidence outside of a pre-rendered cutscene that UC3 suffered this great Watch_Dogs-like downgrade, I'd love to see it since when anybody ever talks about UC3, those same pictures always pop up.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm honestly not even sure what the current argument even is at this point. Whether it's "gameplay" or a "cutscene", does anyone think that's not how the final game will look like? I didn't see anything in there that seems beyond the capabilities of the Wii-U.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Let me see.. My two cents say you don't build a prototype for a console game on a PC when you have an actual devkit, that's just doing your work twice. Or are you saying nintendo will do a WiiU + PC multiplat Zelda?

Chinner

Banned
iQiXYhr8zXR0Y.png

Tech demo Link was so lifeless....

total downgrade. nintendo fans are too in love with games made by miyamoto 20 years ago to at least admit the technology shown doesnt match that the zelda demo shown last year.

Boogybro

I don't get it. People loved the tech demo before this e3. I'm still impressed with it (and a little disappointed we won't be seeing it).

Clefargle

total downgrade. nintendo fans are too in love with games made by miyamoto 20 years ago to at least admit the technology shown doesnt match that the zelda demo shown last year.

I don't understand....What we saw in the new trailer was much more compelling and impressive technically than the tech demo featuring ONE ROOM

I find this game much easier to look forward to since it doesn't revolve around Mario. Honestly, if mario 3d land had been Toad 3d land instead, I would have been a lot more enthusiastic about it. If Nintendo wants to keep rehashing their games, they should at least rotate the protagonists between different nintendo characters.

Daschysta

Xenoblade looks just as good as the reveal, did you not watch the Treehouse gameplay?

chadboban

jsjvfm.gif

neolaentrence8oze7.gif

xcx06_by_onilink888-d7ly3nr.gif

xcx04_by_onilink888-d7lxcu2.gif

xcx02_by_onilink888-d7lx472.gif

mptftv.gif

jmizzal

I don't get it. People loved the tech demo before this e3. I'm still impressed with it (and a little disappointed we won't be seeing it).

I loved the tech demo, but I had in my mind what I wanted if they didnt go with the tech demo graphics and Aonuma pretty much hit it spot on

I wanted something similar to prince of persia 2008 cel shade and not Wind Waker cartoon cel shading

I'm honestly not even sure what the current argument even is at this point. Whether it's "gameplay" or a "cutscene", does anyone think that's not how the final game will look like? I didn't see anything in there that seems beyond the capabilities of the Wii-U.

I think it's more what was shown in the latter part of the trailer that has more people questioning Aonuma, not the visuals. The destructable environments, high tech arrow, and horse jump all kinda call into question whether or not it's all gameplay since those things have never really been a feature in Zelda before.

Joke post?
EDIT: I also wonder how long we're going to have to deal with people complaining about the non existent Xenoblade X graphical downgrade.

You are right, I expected better and I got it with the 2014 E3 demo.

Toparaman

Banned

It's too early to know whether it's a technological downgrade or upgrade. You're looking at two very different Links there, in two very different environments.

Let's wait until we see Link in full uniform and in a dungeon.

But one clear improvement is in the face. The tech demo Link is dead-eyed.

It is obviously gameplay first transitioning into an in engine cutscene later on. Aonuma just doesn't spend enough time on Internet forums to distinguish these two.
That's where all the confusion originates.

lo zaffo

Let me see.. My two cents say you don't build a prototype for a console game on a PC when you have an actual devkit, that's just doing your work twice. Or are you saying nintendo will do a WiiU + PC multiplat Zelda?

well I think a lot of console released games had intel/windows as developing platform, and also a lot of development kits are intel/windows based. Not sure if it holds true also for Nintendo hardware, a lot of people here on GAF can confirm or refute it.

PrimeX

I was totally unimpressed by this E3 Zelda trailer. I was expecting something else after seeing the first tech demo and this cartoonish look doesn't hit it. I'll just wait for the real thing for a definitive thought but it is going downward.

Davey Cakes

I was totally unimpressed by this E3 Zelda trailer. I was expecting something else after seeing the first tech demo and this cartoonish look doesn't hit it. I'll just wait for the real thing for a definitive thought but it is going downward.
Is it really a big deal? I still don't understand the obsession with the TP art style as seen in the Wii U tech demo. It looked good but the actual Zelda Wii U also looks good. It's just more stylized and prettier. There are enough games that have more realistic art styles.

The style here is sort of like a culmination of prior ones. It's fresh.

It's not cartoony despite for the character models, its just more colorful.

Kimawolf

So you think he is just flat out lying? You know that is basically what you're saying right?

Hiltz

I think the only part of the trailer that looked like gamelplay was the beginning where Link was out in the grass field when the enemy attacks and chases him. The other scenes after that looked too seamlessly cinematic and scripted to be actual gameplay. Perhaps Link using that last arrow could have been a QTE, albeit without the button prompt displayed. It sounds like Aonuma was just referring to the beginning part of the trailer as being actual gameplay even though the entire trailer used the in-game engine just as previous 3D Zelda have done.

roddur

One thing that is consistent with Nintendo in recent memories is that Nintendo's games never looked worse than the reveal.

well I think a lot of console released games had intel/windows as developing platform, and also a lot of development kits are intel/windows based. Not sure if it holds true also for Nintendo hardware, a lot of people here on GAF can confirm or refute it.

Yeah, in the case of PC developers who bring their games to consoles. This is much more prevalent in Xbox game development because DirectX API is Microsoft. But, Nintendo devkits and sdk are all you need. Starting on a PC, would mean porting to devkits. A waist of time and money.

Amir0x

Banned
The Legend of Zelda Wii U |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2015 :p

Nobody got my reference that year T_T

I don't know whether to be more optimistic for this then I was with Skyward Sword (that ended in bitter disappointment, even though I was probably more excited for that Zelda than any other in quite some time), but I will say this: even if the game isn't that great (which is rare for a Zelda game, even the ones that aren't top of the crop), I'd probably enjoy myself just from exploring the vistas. It's so fucking vibrant and attractive and in motion, I love the approach. They finally nailed the cel-shaded style in a more 'adult' Link(?) too. I liked Skyward Sword art direction somewhat, but it was a bit wishy-washy with its approach and inferior to Wind Waker imo. This is just pure visual sex all the way through. Hard to find much to complain about at all.*

*But as I can see above, being hard doesn't mean somebody won't find a way :p

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Most console devkits are interfaced to PCs, but a console devkit is not a PC. Your other supposition concerns multiplat games where one of the platforms is a PC. This game is a console exclusive, though, and as such it would never be "prototyped" on a PC this far in the dev cycle.

MCN

Banned

Oh my god, is it 2001 again?

Top Bottom