• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: Zelda Wii U Trailer Wasn’t Just In-Engine, It was Actually Gameplay

Mory Dunz

It looked very pretty but did anyone actually think it wasn't what the game would look like? Didn't look like anything outside of the Wii U's capabilities on a tech level.

What? You really think so?
There's no aliasing at all. Which is what is making people (rightfully) have doubts. And the lighting is amazing too, but it's the AA that seems really impressive

I know Nintendo doesn't bullshot....but I'm still miffed at how the game could look that good.

What I mean is how do they make bullshots of footage captured natively on the Wii U? Don't devs usually take bullshots from PC builds?

This may blow your mind, but:
Games are actually made on computers.
The devkits are specialized hardware with certain restrictions removed and maybe even fitted with extra horse power and/or more RAM, where developers can run their builds of the game on.

To make bullshots devs probably run the game in higher resolution with more post-processing effects. The game framerate maybe suffers from this, but you don't have to run the game fluifly to make screenshots.

Note that I'm not 100% certain that that's the way to go, but I can't think of any other way to make bullshots.

I know Nintendo doesn't bullshot....

Skyward Sword actually had bullshots.
1080p with full anti-aliasing, straight from Nintendo.
I think I may actually still have these screenshots on my hdd somewhere...

Coolwhip

Banned
ibsVbtEkwR6aD7.gif

Perfect use of the gif.

11 years since, what, Wind Waker? What have you been waiting for exactly?

Since a Zelda sequel to do better. So far no luck.

Also about Nintendo's history, they generally show a prototype of a Zelda during launch. The actual Zelda game alpha tends to look like the game, but is generally a cutscene. The final game tends to line-up with the alpha footage.

What is unique about this is that it is not a cutscene, but using actual gameplay to create a cutscene. So this game is probably further along than Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword were when they were revealed.

It'd be interesting if they used the Gamepad to allow for more cinematic angles during miniboss encounters like this, whilst still giving you the usual view so you can actually fight well and stuff.

It was probably just trailer angles though.

Mory Dunz

The devkits are specialized hardware with certain restrictions removed and maybe even fitted with extra horse power and/or more RAM, where developers can run their builds of the game on.

To make bullshots devs probably run the game in higher resolution with more post-processing effects. The game framerate maybe suffers from this, but you don't have to run the game fluifly to make screenshots.

Note that I'm not 100% certain that that's the way to go, but I can't think of any other way to make bullshots.

Skyward Sword actually had bullshots.
1080p with full anti-aliasing, straight from Nintendo.
I think I may actually still have these screenshots on my hdd somewhere...

Googled it.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/skyward_swords_first_screenshots

Eff, you're right.

Well, but this one was in motion....

no, eff you're right...efffff.

I'm officially on team bullshot. Feels bad.

RVL_ZeldaSS_08ss08_E3.png

Clefargle

Dude, no reason to get snarky. If you hadn't noticed in my post I actually asked if devs normally take bullshots from a PC build. I'm not that fucking dense man, I know what game development is for christ's sake. Thanks for the info but please work on your tone.

Ansatz

Looking at the 1080p and 720p versions of the same screenshot side by side, it seems like the 1080p one has the effects of being stretched. The colors are washed out and looks slightly blurry, the 720p one is how I expect the game to be like in terms of colors and clarity.

Looking at the 1080p and 720p versions of the same screenshot side by side, it seems like the 1080p one has the effects of being stretched out. The colors are washed out and looks slightly blurry, the 720p one is how I expect the game to be like in terms of colors and clarity.

With no AA.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
That's why I'm sure it's the former.

I think that a far more likely explanation is that it's simply a cutscene, at least from the point they turn that rock. Everything suggests that to be the case, framing, slow motion and so on.

Yeah, my bet is that the cutscene plays and the big robo thing is immobilized, then you fight it like usual.

CUT OFF TENTACLES
BEAST IS STUNNED
ARROW FACE

Rinse, repeat!

Edit: I get the feeling Majora 3D is getting quite a bit of more work put into it than OOT3D and will be released so Zelda fans dont commit sudoku while waiting for Zelda U.

Clefargle

Yeah, my bet is that the cutscene plays and the big robo thing is immobilized, then you fight it like usual.

CUT OFF TENTACLES
BEAST IS STUNNED
ARROW FACE

Rinse, repeat!

Edit: I get the feeling Majora 3D is getting quite a bit of more work put into it than OOT3D and will be released so Zelda fans dont commit sudoku while waiting for Zelda U.

Seppuku? Or....

rRdhzyM.png

georly

I think it was gameplay up until the final jump/arrow shot, yeah. The first screen on hyrule field was definitely real gameplay. After it transitions to around the bend... any of that could have been cutscene. It's possible the first two bomb arrows were gameplay, but definitely not the third magic arrow. I also really doubt the bridge being destroyed in a zelda game is something that happens randomly/dynamically, so it leads me to believe that the whole combat part was just in-engine cutscene.

MCN

Banned

Damn Nintendo, always playing it by numbers.

Porcile

From a pure visual aesthetic, it looks a natural evolution of Wind Waker and Skyward Sword's style. Nothing the Wii U can't handle (I didn't find the teasers hugely technically impressive but artistically it was lovely), which perhaps leaves more processing power for the particle and fire effects.

The only doubt in my mind is the quality and detail of the animation which was stunning. I doubt they can pull that off that quality consistently across a 20+ hour game. That'd take a superhuman effort.

Those cinematic framing could only be possible if Zelda has tank-like controls (See: Biohazard). As for Link's jump-n-bow sequence, I'm pretty sure that part of the video is clearly camera hacked for presentation purposes. Although, I'm hoping that bridge destroying sequence is an emergent part of the fighting enemy combat rather than a scripted sequence. It's open-world, so the standard "level-design" formula goes right out of the window.

Googled it.

Eff, you're right.

That image just makes me realize that if Nintendo released an HD remake of Skyward Sword I'd buy it instantly. At its core the game is great looking, but it looked terribly jaggy on the wii on my giant tv.

I do think there will be differences both positive and negative in the final build vs. the teaser. I doubt it will be 1080p, aliasing will probably be a little more noticeable, but the models, lighting and general polish of art will continue to improve as often happens with Nintendo titles.

Lernaean

Banned
From a pure visual aesthetic, it looks a natural evolution of Wind Waker and Skyward Sword's style. Nothing the Wii U can't handle (I didn't find the teasers hugely technically impressive but artistically it was lovely), which perhaps leaves more processing power for the particle and fire effects.

The only doubt in my mind is the quality and detail of the animation which was stunning. I doubt they can pull that off that quality consistently across a 20+ hour game. That'd take a superhuman effort.

I agree with you on the first part. Knowing how WiiU games look and run, all that we saw is possible on the HW. It's the art direction that it's mind blowing and some won't believe it's real.

Disagree on the second, i'm not worried one bit.
Nintendo devs are at this point masters of animation and have proved it. Length of game makes no difference, once they are done with the animation clips they can have perfect animations infinitely.

And as we pretty much know, by 2015 the game will be on it's 5th year of development.

bachikarn

I have no clue which Zelda thread to put this in now, But in the Giantbomb Day 1 wrap up video, Patrick alluded to in his interview with Aonuma (majority about Hyrule Warrirors) that

1) a problem internally is a lot of young developers at Nintendo have a very specific ideas of how Zelda should be designed so there's a lot of debate/backlash in the team when Aonuma wants to change things drastically.

2) Also, Aonuma is getting inspired with Dynasty about other stuff happening real time in the game apart from where you are in the game.

I'm surprised it's the young guys who don't want to change up the gameplay.

They probably grew up their whole lives playing Zelda and had a set idea of what it was, so once they got the job and were told that the Zelda formula was changing from what they had grown up with I could see them resisting it.

Also, Aonuma is getting inspired with Dynasty about other stuff happening real time in the game apart from where you are in the game.

I like this, but I think it'd actually be kind of annoying if you got notifications on your map or something. Sort of breaks the experience.

Volotaire

I think its not changing it drastically per say, but its having a set mind of how it should be designed, and then changing from there. Because there are so many Zelda games with differing aims, and because the Zelda series means a lot of different types of gameplay to people, its hard to get a consensus for direction of the series. I can see how changing large parts of it in the span of two games can do that.

I like this, but I think it'd actually be kind of annoying if you got notifications on your map or something. Sort of breaks the experience.

I don't think it will get direct inspiration like that, but as in there is a dynamic world in the game. I.e. Majoras Mask.

Well obviously the camera angles and editing were specialized for the trailer, the sequence where the horse runs from the creature would be completely unplayable from those camera angles, but from the start I didn't see any reason to assume any of it was not actual gameplay. It just looks like the highlight reels from MK8, more cinematic angles and editing applied to actual gameplay footage. Not a surprise, but a welcome confirmation.

I don't think it will get direct inspiration like that, but as in there is a dynamic world in the game. I.e. Majoras Mask.

Judging by the trailer, I got the impression this refers more to things like monsters roaming the world.

Something's gotta trigger that action/scene.

Optimism says "Z-target enemy, swap arrow, press whatever button makes you jump off horse," and that the scene was just slo-mo for the trailer.

Not surprised, makes sense. This game will probably be a breath of fresh air for Zelda (and I didn't mind it when Zelda would stick to the typical formula). Funny how the 'template' for this one is the original Zelda though. Really looking forward to this!

Googled it.

Eff, you're right.

Nothing has ever dissapointed me more in terms of graphics, it's the only nintendo first party release which i wasn't constantly impressed with when playing.
And it was all down to the resolution, and to top it off almost half of gaf was bragging in the dolphin and official thread of how amazing it looked.
Wind waker has and always will look amazing, even on HD tv's. Twilight princes and skyward sword deserved the hd treatment more, especially skyward sword as a lot of people still had SD tv's lying around when twilight game out.
It was the only title that nintendo has really pushed bullshots for which made the whole dolphin emulator thing even more painful for those without the pc capable of running it.

Volotaire

Judging by the trailer, I got the impression this refers more to things like monsters roaming the world.

Optimism says "Z-target enemy, swap arrow, press whatever button makes you jump off horse," and that the scene was just slo-mo for the trailer.

Hmm that too, but I was thinking of the person in the part of the screen tending his sheep.

Well obviously the camera angles and editing were specialized for the trailer, the sequence where the horse runs from the creature would be completely unplayable from those camera angles, but from the start I didn't see any reason to assume any of it was not actual gameplay. It just looks like the highlight reels from MK8, more cinematic angles and editing applied to actual gameplay footage. Not a surprise, but a welcome confirmation.

I mean, the bridge breaking, the structure crumbling behind Link (something a conventional Zelda camera system wouldn't even allow you to see while riding), those strike you as just, you know, things that happen in the game?

I'm really thinking that the whole running away sequence is a cutscene and the gameplay (if there's actually any and Aonuma wasn't mistranslated and didn't misspeak) begins at the first arrow

Hmm that too, but I was thinking of the person in the part of the screen tending his sheep.

Well, assuming there is a day/night cycle and relatively few loading screens, naturally the game would have to track where characters are supposed to be. But that wouldn't have really been taken from Dynasty Warriors, would it?

EDIT: For what it's worth, the Japanese seems to imply it's "video" running on Wii U. But the choice of translation is nonetheless significant, I think.

I mean, the bridge breaking, the structure crumbling behind Link (something a conventional Zelda camera system wouldn't even allow you to see while riding), those strike you as just, you know, things that happen in the game?

I'm really thinking that the whole running away sequence is a cutscene and the gameplay (if there's actually any and Aonuma wasn't mistranslated and didn't misspeak) begins at the first arrow

No, I think it looked like a scripted sequence at best, a QTE at worst (Zelda's not really known for those though, so I'm hoping for the best), but both of those would still qualify as "game-play".

It looked very pretty but did anyone actually think it wasn't what the game would look like? Didn't look like anything outside of the Wii U's capabilities on a tech level.
I thought it looked like it was in-game when I watched it, the way Link was just chillin on a horse forever. That's not something you do with CGI to impress people - let a character sit in one place for several minutes. Game looks amazing.
but i still want the tech demo back lol

Lernaean

Banned
Anything that resembles a mini cutscene during gameplay is suddenly taken as a QTE.

Ok, let's clear this out.

Aonuma said it's gameplay, not seamless gameplay, let's see how it's done.

When they make a teaser/trailer for gameplay they set certain cameras in debug, those cameras are not the one you'll be having when you play the game, they are specially placed, directed if you like, to catch certain footage.

Our scene starts with Link on Epona in a field. There are farmers picking up things in the left, some animals feeding in the right and other cool things. This scene is real time, in-engine showing you how the game looks and how NPCs, humans and animals behave, but the camera is obviously further back to give you a wide vista for the purposes of the trailer.

The action starts when a monster appears from the left and starts spreading chaos in our peaceful scene. Did the developers waited for that to happen? No, you are the one who, as a player, might or might not encounter it. The developers made it happen.
They wouldn't wait for the engine to spawn a monster for the trailer, they wrote a scripted event for it to appear.
Next thing we know Link flees and the monster gives chase.

Change of camera. How did that happen? No, the game won't have Resident Evil 1 set cameras. This cut was the result of editing, where they put together the footage caught in the previous camera and this second one, again for the purposes of a trailer and again that's not the camera you will have while playing.

Lastly Link reaches the bridge and the creature destroys it, another scripted event that may be in game, destructible objects is nothing new. Then we move to more traditional gameplay, two shots from the bow, you can even notice the animation interpolation there while Epona slightly repositions. The camera is again a little further back than normal.

To end the trailer another camera shows a slo-mo animation as link fires an arrow. This last action is scripted, put in slo-mo and shot with a moving camera to dramatize the situation.

Everything is still in real time, everything is still running on WiiU hardware, but it's shot in various angles and edited to give it a more cinematic and trailer like look. What we saw is no indication of cutscenes or QTEs, just a little bit of editing magic.

Hope that helped.

lewisgone

If that combat is entirely scripted (which I'm almost certain it is) I honestly don't really mind. But I really hope that that opening shot Aonuma showed, with the fields and mountains in the distance, is completely playable and explorable in the final game like he suggested. Zelda has never really been about combat for me, it's been about exploring a world. I'd rather have mostly simplistic combat (outside boss battles), because constant intense fights put you off going exploring. I love the idea of running across the occasional powerful monster in the overworld though. Going off the regular path and finding something like that creature/robot in the trailer would be really exciting.

As for graphics, I doubt it'll look that good, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong. Again though, I don't really mind. I still enjoyed Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword with Wii-powered visuals. I continue to enjoy them today, and probably always will. And the art style will certainly do the game some favors.

On the topic of this being a bullshot trailer/running on a PC, apparently Aonuma said some things in the Japanese Miiverse post that he didn't say in the English one. In addition to saying Zelda will be playable at next year's E3, he said that the footage was running on a Wii U.

I hope this is reliable because the Google Translate is pretty nonsensical, but the bolded part seems clear enough:

"I am asked to everyone in the media "is not it movie just PR for That?" And for the video of the new Zelda Wii U that published, but in fact, it is in the video running on Wii U properly, I " are you saying that it! "can walk if you think of going to the mountains visible in the distance is not a lie.

Because I think the E3 of next year, would like to be able to play in practice, please stay tuned."

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/230698-...end-of-zelda-wii-u-playable-at-next-year-s-e3

Ntsouls

Banned
Nintendo comes in here and is like, "Hey Wii U is gonna be AWESOME....next year."
Seriously at least Mario Maker should be coming out this year.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
On the topic of this being a bullshot trailer/running on a PC, apparently Aonuma said some things in the Japanese Miiverse post that he didn't say in the English one. In addition to saying Zelda will be playable at next year's E3, he said that the footage was running on a Wii U.

I hope this is reliable because the Google Translate is pretty nonsensical, but the bolded part seems clear enough:

"I am asked to everyone in the media "is not it movie just PR for That?" And for the video of the new Zelda Wii U that published, but in fact, it is in the video running on Wii U properly, I " are you saying that it! "can walk if you think of going to the mountains visible in the distance is not a lie.

Because I think the E3 of next year, would like to be able to play in practice, please stay tuned."

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/230698-...end-of-zelda-wii-u-playable-at-next-year-s-e3

Go Nintendo's not banned anymore?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Seriously? Why do people want graphics over performance? Are you graphics whores? 720p60fps would be infinitely better than 1080p30fps.

Has there ever been any open world game that's been in 60 fps? I'm betting this'll be 720p/30 fps just like the tech demo.

Top Bottom