• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: Zelda Wii U Trailer Wasn’t Just In-Engine, It was Actually Gameplay

Thoraxes

That whole thing won't be gameplay. The camera can't move like that in game and remain comprehensible.

They can record themselves playing the game and use a debug mode with the data observed to alter the camera angle to make good cuts for a presentation. It could still be actual gameplay, just presented differently.

i think what Aonuma means is that someone played it like that, but they changed the camera positions and edited it to look like a trailer, but in the end someone still played it.

Edit: Damn! lol

Haunted

tumblr_n707vpu6GC1soja84o1_1280.jpg
tumblr_m1x8e6hJmc1qbql3go1_500.png

Yonafunu

The first part on the field, with Link on the horse and then running away through the trees is definitely gameplay with a debug camera for different angles. The part by the water fighting the robot is a cutscene, in-engine.

I would argue they do have good IQ in terms of presentation and design.

Depends on what you compare it to.
Compared to Ps3/360 games the IQ is pretty good.
Compared to Ps4/One games the IQ is pretty bad.

But the IQ doesn't change the fact that MK8 looks brilliant and 3DWorld, too.

Going to repost this from the other thread! I think I'm right!

The way the game was introduced and set up, I am imagining the possibility of the game not being rendered entirely in 3D. By this, I refer to the position of the camera following you from behind. He talks about the original Zelda game on NES, moving in a vast connected world by moving up down, left or right. When the monster appears on the field and starts chasing Link(ette), we see the open view of the field remain mostly static with only the slightest camera movement to follow Link(ette) off to the right. Then, we see them coming up with the camera movement to the right and then they both go forward towards the screen until they are both off camera. Immediately after we get to see what seems to be the only part of the presentation that appears to be of a cutscene of Link(ette) jumping off of the horse and fighting the monster. So it seems to me, just based on speculation, that we will be getting this vast world only sections at a time. A dynamic camera accompanies the transitions between areas/sections of the map, as opposed to a static representation we have seen in the past 2D Zelda games. In a way, a lot like Hyrule Castle Town in OoT. This is by no means a bad thing for the evolution of the series, and I am simply assuming this is the case here. And if so, we have ourselves a fresh new take on a franchise that has moved from 2D to 3D which has been unable to achieve a proper representation of the vastness of its worlds. I am actually quite excited to see whether I'm right or wrong!

Nicktendo86

That whole thing won't be gameplay. The camera can't move like that in game and remain comprehensible.
Obviously. They must have used a debug mode to set the camera/slow to make it dramatic.

What excites me is this LOOKS like one of those enemies that attacks in hyrule field, I really hope so and that this is not a boss as that would mean there is real time environmental damage such as on that bridge.

masud

Banned
What if parts of the game are played on a 2d path with a fixed camera? And the part of the video with the arrows is what you see on the tv while you aim with the gamepad?

edit: yeah basically what MindCollizion is saying. I agree with that guy.

NotLiquid

This isn't actually hard to believe.

From a simply game play standpoint the trailer shows the following:

• Gigantic enemies chasing you across the map
  • Destructible environments
  • Link being able to jump off of Epona while using weapons in conjunction
The former is to be expected with the fact that it's now an open world Zelda game. Anything can happen. Destructible environments should not be much of an issue with this world either. In the case of the trailer it's rather interesting as a path is clearly blocked off for Link, meaning that it'd require the player to traverse a different route to get to his point of interest, which adds onto what Aonuma said about the puzzles "starting" when you decide where to go. The final point is something I'm surprised hasn't been done before in the Zelda games, it's like a quick way for Link to engage into battle directly from his horse.

As has been said, the only things speaking against this is camera angles, and that is most certainly debug stuff.

Joqu

Guys Nintendo did release bullshots for Skyward Sword, it's not like there isn't a precedent for this. I'm not saying it can't be 1080p but the complete lack of aliasing is pretty suspect.

KHlover

Banned
What if Nintendo does something like Sleeping Dogs or Max Payne in this game? Maybe you'll trigger 1 or 2 seconds of slow mo if you jump off Epona while locking on an enemy? Would definitely make the scene in the trailer possible, but I'm not really sure if I'd want it in a Zelda game.

But can we actually freely wander up the mountains? I've heard 'up to' several times, but surely we can go up then? Hopefully they don't just serve as a game world wall.

You know, I actually don't care if we can actually climb these mountains and beyond, yet I would be even more thrown off my feet.
This world is going to be HUGE either way.

greenteaa

Neo Member
I just can't believe how good it looks.
Don't know how the hell they got this running so smoothly, but I now firmly believe Aonuma and the Zelda team are all wizards in disguise. Let's keep hoping the visuals don't get downgraded at some point during development.

valouris

I believe that the field scene was gameplay in idle animation, maybe that is what he was talking about.

But the other scene? Nah, how can anyone believe it, it was a cutscene (hopefully in-engine). I bet something was lost in translation or from the reporter.

Guys Nintendo did release bullshots for Skyward Sword, it's not like there isn't a precedent for this. I'm not saying it can't be 1080p but the complete lack of aliasing is pretty suspect.

I dunno, everything is pretty low polygon and it's using a very flat and simple cel shading technique for the lighting very similar to Wind Waker's. Obviously artistically it's nice, but this isn't a game that looks like it would be pushing the hardware very hard so I'd expect good image quality.

I keep thinking this is just some contextual error of some sort. I mean, that can't be gameplay. Even if its with the camera being manipulated, that just isn't possible. The animation! Nintendo has magic, not straight up witch voodoo. This is insane!

I'm losing my head thinking about a game running like that :-l

Oersted

I keep thinking this is just some contextual error of some sort. I mean, that can't be gameplay. Even if its with the camera being manipulated, that just isn't possible. The animation! Nintendo has magic, not straight up witch voodoo. This is insane!

I'm losing my head thinking about a game running like that :-l

Marked for OT thread-title.

Joqu

I dunno, everything is pretty low polygon and it's using a very flat and simple cel shading technique for the lighting very similar to Wind Waker's. Obviously artistically it's nice, but this isn't a game that looks like it would be pushing the hardware very hard so I'd expect good image quality.

You're right that art style goes a long way but it it's still quite impressive looking. I know the game had a shorter development cycle than this will but Wind Waker HD still had jaggies at 1080p (and used a new engine if I'm not mistaken so they're probably using the same one for this). You're going to need some (expensive) quality anti-aliasing to get image quality like that. All I'm saying is that it would probably be wise not to expect the final game to look this clean.

Again, the first Skyward Sword screenshots looked like the game was running in Dolphin.

Can we tell what the resolution / anti-aliasing is like in the video or is it too low quality?

The_Lump

Banned
Wait I thought we settled that the translation was wrong? In the Japanese statement he just says it's running in game engine. No mention of "gameplay". Thread title needs changing.

Sounds like a misunderstanding. That Miiverse post said nothing about "not only in-engine but gameplay", it said just "gameplay", which could mean "in-engine", and the translation only used the wrong word.

Or more accurately, this. Everyone read this and stop freaking out :p

Oh, and please change the thread title because it's clearly wrong.

Woffls

If I had to guess, this will be a unique scripted event that takes place as soon as you set hoof on Hyrule field for the first time, just to illustrate that there's some bad ass shit out there in the fields, so you can't just prat around chopping grass as usual.

We have absolutely no reason to judge what resolution and framerate this will be. They are neither strictly connected, nor can we determine how much power is being used to create these scenes. This sort of scene can be done relatively cheaply with modern technologies, and Nintendo have already showcased their competency with HD development.

It's not as simple as "oh wow this game looks amazing but it's on Wii U so it must be 720p30". I'm really looking forward to hearing about it for another year as well.

Lebron

Sounds like a misunderstanding. That Miiverse post said nothing about "not only in-engine but gameplay", it said just "gameplay", which could mean "in-engine", and the translation only used the wrong word.

Basically. Ain't no gameplay gonna be looking like that without QTE's flashing on the screen.

The Lamp

Duh. If it was prerendered it would look more impressive. It's pretty but it's got flaws. The cel shading gives them a lot of wiggle room. They just used cinematic camera angles to frame the gameplay for a trailer.

I think it looks great overall. Looking forward to it.

Axass

The field with the horse and guy/girl riding on it was gameplay. The other part was an in-engine, in-game cutscene.

That's how I understand that.

THIS IS THE GAME OF THE FOREVER.

monome

The field with the horse and guy/girl riding on it was gameplay. The other part was an in-engine, in-game cutscene.

That's how I understand that.

THIS IS THE GAME OF THE FOREVER.

camera placement during the field scene is what I want from this game.

monome

Why would you want a static camera?
It'd only make combat EXTREMELY hard because of hard to tell distances between Link and his enemies.

I hate combat in modern 3D Zeldas and understand why SS was an attempt at making it fun.

Fixed is not what I want. But more birds eye than third person would be much welcome.

Cell shaded family oriented Dragon Age meets Batman meets Dark Souls is not my cup of tea.

I don't really kie the focus on combat. Zelda I was excellent and combat was very straight forward. That's the simplicity I hope Nintendo will bring back too (Link Jumping off horse while shooting arrows is not compelling IMO).

The technical analysis of this game is going to be incredibly interesting. Also, Nintendo, free up another 256-512MB of RAM for this game and show us what you can do.

Riki

I hate combat in modern 3D Zeldas and understand why SS was an attempt at making it fun.

Fixed is not what I want. But more birds eye than third person would be much welcome.

Cell shaded family oriented Dragon Age meets Batman meets Dark Souls is not my cup of tea.

I don't really kie the focus on combat. Zelda I was excellent and combat was very straight forward. That's the simplicity I hope Nintendo will bring back too (Link Jumping off horse while shooting arrows is not compelling IMO).
Sorry but you can't please evety Zelda fan

Many want the big world to explore that looks beautiful and you can intereact with it.
We want to focus on both puzzles and intricate combat.

It was most likely gameplay, but its probably in debug mode and so they could play with the camera and such while the action was happening, think mario kart 8
Messing with the camera on recorded gameplay is about the only thing that makes any sense to me if that footage was gameplay. If it has a MK8 style video system where action is recorded from several angles, that could be interesting. I don't know how the feature would be explained in game but it would address the Wii U's lack of streaming somewhat.

Asbear

Banned
I think I'm one of the most optimistic GAF members around and I still can't believe this.

What.

What.

.tahW

Did you skip out on the entire last gen? Skyrim? I think Cel Shading is one of the most clever ways to disguise technical limitations, but if you look there's clearly been cut corners with draw distance and foilage distance to avoid heavy framerate drops, and it uses the same kind of lighting and bloom as MK8, SM3DW and WWHD, which quite frankly does not affect performance all that much in the way Nintendo uses it (and unfortunately it makes it look rather artificial too IMO)

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Next paycheck I'm buying a Wii U. Ninty has done enough to convince me that they're going out with a whimper.

Kimawolf

Impressed Nintendo, I am. It fooled me I thought it was a cutscene but to be in game? Amazing.

I am sure the HUD is on the gamepad. Makes sense.

Top Bottom