• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: Zelda Wii U Trailer Wasn’t Just In-Engine, It was Actually Gameplay

Am totally happy to hang my head in shame WHEN proven wrong but for me that was a carefully edited sequence of touched up cutscene, non gameplay.

I'll be back in 2016 when it launches to see if I was right...

A like the tech demo a lot. It mantains the aspect of a fantasy world while not being cartoony. But Link's face is so strange.

Regarding that, I think they were just showing off the level of graphics in a tech demo. I'm sure they'd add extra animations to make him more lively were it being the reveal of a game using that Link. It's not like they haven't done a Link in that sort of direction before.

Striek

I really hope so, because it really looked spectacular. I can't imagine it being gameplay without a fuck more jaggies and generally worse IQ though.

Thoraxes

Holy shiiiiiiiit.

Give it to me. Give it all to me, baby.

I really hope so, because it really looked spectacular. I can't imagine it being gameplay without a fuck more jaggies and generally worse IQ though.

Nintendo games usually have great IQ. If you look at the screens close enough you can see plenty of imperfections too. I got no reason to doubt his words using the evidence provided.

iQiXYhr8zXR0Y.png

Tech demo Link was so lifeless....

Seeing those side by side.. not sure why anyone would think it's not link or ever think it's a girl version. Looks just like him. I love this art style also.

I... this... I...

I can't comprehend the true form of Aonuma's comment.

EDIT: OH MY GOD, you can actually walk up to those mountains in the distance?!
THIS IS FUCKING RIDICULOUS!!!

How awesome is this game going to be?!

The only way that could be gameplay would be if it was some kind of QTE style takedown.

To me to looked far more like an in-engine cutscene, and I'm perfectly okay with that because it looks gorgeous.

sphinx

the piano man
Absolutely insane.

Hopefully he's not bullshitting us, i'm not familiar with Nintendo's track record on this front.

for the record, almost zero of what was shown in the twilight princess reveal trailer made it into the game.

It also had substantial cosmetic changes, to the point that the TP reveal thing, the one people were crying for in 2004, was basically a Tech Demo, proof of concept or artstyle or something like that but nothing to do with the game.

so yes, things may/can change a lot

let's hope Aonuma knows what he's talking about this time. sadly the trailer looked very bare, no title, nothing other than artstyle and performance.

Hypron

Holy shiiiiiiiit.

Give it to me. Give it all to me, baby.

Nintendo games usually have great IQ. If you look at the screens close enough you can see plenty of imperfections too. I got no reason to doubt his words using the evidence provided.

I'm not sure I agree with that. SM3DW and Mario Kart don't have great IQ. They still look good though.

KHlover

Banned
No buttons on screen, not gameplay.
That's really no indication. Look at all the "gameplay" trailers with fake UI or PC Vertical Slices with console UI to make you think the footage is from a console (hello there, Arkham Knight).

I trust Nintendo footage without UI more than any other devs footage WITH UI.

spekkeh

Banned
Seeing those side by side.. not sure why anyone would think it's not link or ever think it's a girl version. Looks just like him. I love this art style also.
Yeah side by side it actually looks like the same facial model. In the left image his cheekbones seem more defined though (also paler complexion) which pushed it into moe girl territory, but looking closer that may just be shadow from his sideburns.

GRW810

EDIT: OH MY GOD, you can actually walk up to those mountains in the distance?!
THIS IS FUCKING RIDICULOUS!!!
But can we actually freely wander up the mountains? I've heard 'up to' several times, but surely we can go up then? Hopefully they don't just serve as a game world wall.

Yeah, I thought this was realtime, in-engine when I saw it.
But gameplay? Even for QTEs the camera perspectives is pretty strange.
Gameplay is for me what you see on screen when you play it, not during a cutscene or anything. I doubt we'll see that on screen.

-PXG-

I thought this was already known....But good news nonetheless.

Oh and all that hubbub about whether or not that Link was in fact Link and what not..Jesus Christ..That was Carnival of Stupid levels of moronic. You guys read far too much into shit without even looking at what's clearly right in front of you. My friends IRL fell victim to it too.

I mean, nobody at Nintendo ever said anything about the trailer. They just showed it and let it speak for itself. I don't know... I thought the message was pretty damn clear. But of course, the internet went hog wild with speculation. I'm so happy Aonuma spoke up to put all this bullshit to rest. Now everyone can calm down.

Thoraxes

I'm not sure I agree with that. SM3DW and Mario Kart don't have great IQ. They still look good though.

I would argue they do have good IQ in terms of presentation and design. Everything they present (visually) is very clear, organized, and presented in a concise manner with minimal junk obstructing the player from the game. IQ isn't just dependent on solely the technical aspect, although it plays a major factor; design is just as important.

The fidelity argument is another beast entirely, but there are some concentric circles on a Venn diagram that overlap here and there on these two different topics.

Top Bottom