• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: Zelda Wii U Trailer Wasn’t Just In-Engine, It was Actually Gameplay

CLBridges

This is going to be the one LoZ where all fans will like from day one to infinity. Believe lol. Nintendo is really going hard this E3. Although most games shown are 2015, I hope WiiU sales pickup and Nintendo meets and/or exceeds their projections/goals.

I'll go check. Might just be confused with a lot of sites that reported MK8 and Tropical Freeze were 1080p only for that to not be the case.

Some sites did mention MK8 and DK were 1080p but the the real difference is: Does all (or some) of the press release screenshots for those games show them being rendered in native 1080p? Or were they all 720p?

mugwhump

Honestly just sounds like a translation quirk to me. It was clearly a scripted event.

I just checked the Japanese version of the Miiverse post, and it simply says "it's really running on Wii U"; no specification on whether it's just in-engine (i.e. a cutscene) or actual gameplay.

Unlike the english Miiverse post though, he does confirm the game will be playable at next years E3.

Ayuuup

RedSwirl

Perhaps once they realized they could load WW's Great Ocean in its entirety at once they decided to see how far they could push it.

Where did they talk about that? In the video?

Anyway, this is likely what happened. Think about it in relation to other games: Bethesda got Skyrim to work on 512MB of RAM. Rockstar got GTA V to work on 512MB of RAM. Porting over a game as expansive as Wind Waker to a system with 1GB of available RAM probably gave Nintendo a good idea of what they could accomplish under that ceiling.

1080p
wiiu_zelda_scrn01_e3uausf.png

wiiu_zelda_scrn03_e3t4uhm.png

wiiu_zelda_scrn04_e3nhuvg.png

Philippo

I still remain skeptical until i see gameplay, but desperately want to get served crows for this.
Graphic wise, this and UC4 are the most impressive games.

chrono01

To everyone focused on the cloak, it's possible it was there simply for the dramatic unveil. There's no guarantee that it will be in the game.

Or perhaps, for story reasons, Link is in-hiding and the cloak allows him to conceal his presence. However, upon attacking an enemy, he's forced to remove it revealing his location.

Ugh, so excited to learn more. If Nintendo showcases a hands-on demo tomorrow, or a proper full-length trailer, on the Treehouse stream, I'm not so sure I'd be able to survive that.

Dakor

Neo Member
Oh wow! I expected it be In-Engine but this sounds great!
I'm a little worried about the Open World, though.

Zelda always was a little Open World, in the terms you can just leave a city / dungeon and go somewhere different. I always liked this about Zelda it had a nice story but still gave you the feeling of freedom, without loosing the focus on the story.
I'm afraid there will be too much freedom and either they or me will loose the focus on the main plot. I'm sure many of you will now disagree but in singleplayer games I prefer a great story over open world / sandbox gameplay.

I hoped the graphic style would be a little more serious and dark this time, but the trailer looks great so far.

To everyone focused on the cloak, it's possible it was there simply for the dramatic unveil. There's no guarantee that it will be in the game.

Or perhaps, for story reasons, Link is in-hiding and the cloak allows him to conceal his presence. However, upon attacking an enemy, he's forced to remove it revealing his location.

Ugh, so excited to learn more. If Nintendo showcases a hands-on demo tomorrow, or a proper full-length trailer, on the Treehouse stream, I'm not so sure I'd be able to survive that.

The wait's going to be painful. Colbert Give it to me now.gif

EloquentM

aka Mannny
They have impossible IQ.

Here is WW's Press Kit image:

And here's the new Zelda's press kit:

How can a much simpler game have so many more jaggies?

I know Nintendo never does bullshots, but we're going to have to wait until this game gets closer to release to believe this kind of stuff.
If only we had high quality video footage ={

great to see that they are continuing tu pursue the "athletic" Link introduced with Skyward Sword

bu.. but... it aint link. it's a female rugby player sent back from the future. actually, the whole team was sent back to replace link and zelda and others who have disappeared. there was a rip off cartoon based on this only using football players set in camelot instead of hyrule.

The more I rewatch the trailer the more I doubt it was truly gameplay. I'm more inclined to believe it was an in-engine sequence

Squishy3

They have impossible IQ.

I know Nintendo never does bullshots, but we're going to have to wait until this game gets closer to release to believe this kind of stuff.
WWHD has enough framerate problems as is, probably adding AA would just have made it much more notable. Anytime any sort of explosion happened the FPS dropped significantly.

The more I rewatch the trailer the more I doubt it was truly gameplay. I'm more inclined to believe it was an in-engine sequence
I'm in the in-engine camp, but it's always possible they used the debug camera. They used it a ton for MK8, most noticeably is in the reveal trailer when they show the anti-gravity side of a track and then pan over to the normal side of the track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WBd2pLpsl0#t=36

Hermii

They have impossible IQ.

6 month gc port vs super optimized ground up code?

Neiteio

Looks like gameplay to me. :)

They're just using a developer camera to shoot the action from different angles, slow things down, etc. The jump attack? Probably just some acrobatic dismount they're adding to the horse combat they started in TP. And actually, you can see Link aim the first two shots (from horse back) with the same sort of movement you'd expect when controlling Link. As for the bridge collapsing when it did (the only other bit I think would give people pause), perhaps the horse won't ride through water, so they just let the creature cut them off, breaking the bridge (it appears parts of the environment are destructible), and thus Epona reared up and Link was forced to deal with the creature right then and there. (And yes, I know it might not be "Link")

It's extremely promising, and I trust Nintendo will deliver. They can be absolute wizards in HD if Mario Kart 8 and 3D World are any indication.

a916

I don't get it... to the people that are shocked, were you thinking this was impossible to do in real-time and Nintendo was just lying?

The beauty of the game (save for that enemy) comes from the art style moreso than the impressive tech.

Top Bottom