• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: Zelda Wii U Trailer Wasn’t Just In-Engine, It was Actually Gameplay

It might not necessarily be a QTE. There may be a move in the game where you can jump off the horse to attack (in an expansion of the horse combat stuff from Twilight Princess), and they just slowed the game down and messed with the camera to show that off.

This sounds a lot more likely than a QTE.

I'm surprised at the surprise I see around here. Obviously it's recorded in a manner similar to a Mario Kart replay (added third-person cameras not representative of the perspective the player will see, with the capacity to render a shot in slow motion) but I thought it was intuitively clear from the animations that the actions of the player and the enemy were unscripted. The final game won't look exactly like that in action, I'll bet, simply because the camera will track the player differently if this is going to be a contiguous open world.

MattyG

Banned
It might not necessarily be a QTE. There may be a move in the game where you can jump off the horse to attack (in an expansion of the horse combat stuff from Twilight Princess), and they just slowed the game down and messed with the camera to show that off.

The Octorok could also just be a kind of roaming enemy found out in the field, like the Peahats in OoT or the giant squids in Wind Waker.
I think this is probably the case. Either that or he misspoke and just meant that this is a cutscene that is using all in game visuals.

http://www.gengame.net/2014/06/aonu...asnt-just-in-engine-it-was-actually-gameplay/

aonuma-gameplay-zelda-wii-u.png

JnMgV5v.gif

Show us more! We need more Zelda now!

What does this even mean?

It means that it's obviously running on tech that's not on par with current gen systems given the draw distance, etc?

I like my Wii U, but I'm not going to pretend like it's a graphical powerhouse. Nintendo's games look fantastic, but a lot of that is the art.

jlscool

If this is gameplay I wonder if the new Zelda game is fixed perspective like an adventure game and you can move up, down, left and right on each screen?

JDSN

Banned
I really hope that the people working on the fields react in a variety of manners towards that spider in the final game, maybe some might assist you in battle.

Einbroch

Banned
I'm surprised at the surprise I see around here. Obviously it's recorded in a manner similar to a Mario Kart replay (added third-person cameras not representative of the perspective the player will see, with the capacity to render a shot in slow motion) but I thought it was intuitively clear from the animations that the actions of the player and the enemy were unscripted. The final game won't look exactly like that in action, I'll bet, simply because the camera will track the player differently if this is going to be a contiguous open world.
This.

I mean, I thought it was pretty clear it was gameplay, but apparently we're in the minority. The way he moved just seemed like it was gameplay with a different camera angle.

Seems plausible.

Aside from the graphics most of the stuff happening in the trailers is a matter of development effort and attention to detail rather than hardware power.

Nice to know there will be destructibles and fluid character animations.

Nintendo has posted trailers of games at impossible camera angles before, but I guess that could still be playable. I 100% believe that not-Link on not-epona standing in the middle of the field is gameplay, just zoomed out...not sure about the broken bridge arrow stuff though. Maybe you'll be able to do something similar to it

zeldablue

The Octorok could also just be a kind of roaming enemy found out in the field, like the Peahats in OoT or the giant squids in Wind Waker.
*gulp*

Giant freakin' burning laser beams while walking across a beautiful landscape.

Great. I'm not scared! :S

Herr K

Banned
Look, lads, there's a slimmer than slim chance that he actually "misspoke". I'm pretty sure these Miiverse posts aren't made from the toilet (as opposed to this post), Aonuma-san most likely had a translator who wrote and checked this, so I'd consider it to be way more accurate than any spoken interview.

marink

I didn't think that was up for debate. I don't recall and Zelda games being previewed using CG in any E3 reveal.

AdanVC

HNNGGH! Amazing. Then this is aiming to be the Zelda game of my dreams. Colorful/stylized/detailed artstyle with beautiful graphics in HD in a huge open world. The coolest thing is, as development progresses, I'm sure they will implement even more beautiful lighting and enhancements to make it look even better. All of that mixed with top notch quality Zelda gameplay that we all know and love.

If this is gameplay I wonder if the new Zelda game is fixed perspective like an adventure game and you can move up, down, left and right on each screen?

Dear God, I really really hope they don't decide to do that. That would certainly lessen my hype for this game.

Mortemis

Banned
It's hard to not be cynical to this, but damn if this is true, consider my pants soiled.

I need to know the size of the pentagrams that Aonuma is drawing and how much virgin's blood he's drinking, because this black magic is working pretty well.

This basically. Nintendo is playing around with voodoo magic with this. Wow.

watershed

Banned
Nintendo has posted trailers of games at impossible camera angles before, but I guess that could still be playable. I 100% believe that not-Link on not-epona standing in the middle of the field is gameplay, just zoomed out...not sure about the broken bridge arrow stuff though. Maybe you'll be able to do something similar to it
I think the broken bridge and jumping stuff were in-game cut scenes. It doesn't matter much since it is all in-engine.

Not

Banned

Sounds plausible. If anyone can do it, it's Nintendo. Never been a Zelda downgrade-aton in my eyes yet.

Top Bottom