• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: Zelda Wii U Trailer Wasn’t Just In-Engine, It was Actually Gameplay

Qblivion

Jumping off the horse and firing an arrow in mid air isn't not-plausible at all. Just wonder how much control over it you have vs how much of it is a canned move.

mishakoz

I don't want to be negative, but that was clearly a cutscene, every part of it. Are you implying that we can control the character during any part of that? None of the camera angles make sense for that.

Maybe they changed the camera angles for the trailer? Could be, would make more sense, but I still think the bridge destruction, where the spider guy ended up, all seems too controlled to be anything but a cutscene.

Lernaean

Banned
It screamed in-engine anyway, so it can be gameplay, with scripted events, camera placement and some slow-down editing for the bow draw so they can make the trailer.
Aonuma delivers, i was extremely optimistic and yet wasn't expecting it to be that good.

doofy102

So the enemy AI actually reacted to Link crossing the bridge by destroying it? Wow, this sort of thing could lead to randomly generated Zelda puzzles.

Redrop

But...how? In the trailer there's this dramatic animation where Link (?) removes his cloak. You're telling me this is a mechanic? :p

Crayolan

Geekation_SpittingOutCoffee.gif

WHAT? Holy shit, I thought that was a cutscene, but the whole thing was gameplay? This game is gonna be absolutely insane!

watershed

Banned
Let's not get carried away with the "gameplay" quote. This trailer is in-engine. I think that is the important part. I don't think bridges will be getting destroyed nor "Link" shedding clothes in the course of normal gameplay.

It means that it's obviously running on tech that's not on par with current gen systems given the draw distance, etc?

I like my Wii U, but I'm not going to pretend like it's a graphical powerhouse. Nintendo's games look fantastic, but a lot of that is the art.

It seems like in *every* thread in GAF where people praise the graphics of a WiiU game there will be someone who tries to do his/her best to procure the nearest, highest horse he/she can find and proceeds to announce, "I don't know why you guys are so impressed. To my perfectly constructed technical eyes, that is nothing special. Especially for a WiiU."

Bonus points if Xbox360/PS3 is also mentioned.

Justmarbz

Neo Member
It means that it's obviously running on tech that's not on par with current gen systems given the draw distance, etc?

I like my Wii U, but I'm not going to pretend like it's a graphical powerhouse. Nintendo's games look fantastic, but a lot of that is the art.

Agreed. Shit looked awesome but not impossible.

Branduil

Let's not get carried away with the "gameplay" quote. This trailer is in-engine. I think that is the important part. I don't think bridges will be getting destroyed nor "Link" shedding clothes in the course of normal gameplay.

Destructible environments. A cloak item that prevents environmental damage. Not necessarily impossible, LOL.

yeah I'm getting the vibe that this is partly a cutscene leading into a miniboss or something and gameplay starts at the cloak throwing

rsfqks.gif

one thing i noticed, look at the beginning when the character and the horse start to move, it looks like a person is controlling the horse with its slight movements from left to right, kind of an unnatural way for the horse to move. It does seem like gameplay the more i look at it, especially the beginning, not sure about the arrow part though

Unbelievable! This is megaton. I don't understand anything I saw if that was gameplay, but it looks awesome. Must be some kind of QTE or canned animation special attack near the end. Although, camera work during the chase brings up a lot of questions. Can't wait to see more.

It seems like in *every* thread in GAF where people praise the graphics of a WiiU game there will be someone who tries to do his/her best to procure the nearest, highest horse he/she can find and proceeds to announce, "I don't know why you guys are so impressed. To my perfectly constructed technical eyes, that is nothing special. Especially for a WiiU."

Bonus points if Xbox360/PS3 is also mentioned.

Definitely did not intend to come across like that. Of course it's special, and even more so given the fact that it's running on a Wii U. It looks absolutely incredible, and I'm more excited for it than any other future release right now.

It wasn't so mind blowing that I assumed it wasn't gameplay. In all honesty, the only videogame footage I've /ever/ seen that I assumed was not gameplay when it was indeed is Uncharted 4.

Malus

Thread title/article is a bit misleading in that Aonuma didn't actually say, "the trailer wasn't just in-engine". I think he/the translator just said gameplay to mean Wii U rendered graphics.

Looking at that grass, I'm wondering if there's Far Cry 2 esque fire spreading, or if that enemy just leaves flames burning for a while in the spots it hits.

Ansatz

rsfqks.gif

one thing i noticed, look at the beginning when the character and the horse start to move, it looks like a person is controlling the horse with its slight movements from left to right, kind of an unnatural way for the horse to move. It does seem like gameplay the more i look at it, especially the beginning, not sure about the arrow part though

The jump is an animation initiated by a button press, then you aim with the gamepad Nintendo Land style. You're seeing the action on the TV normally, but 1st person on the pad screen.

Recently I wonder what it'd have been like if Nintendo introduced HD at the same time as everyone else. Something akin to this only a couple years into the generation? Just look at Yarn Yoshi vs. Little Big Planet. They may have given Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica a run for their money.

Not really a fair or measurable comparison to have given how different everything would have been, but still interesting to think about.

I don't want to be negative, but that was clearly a cutscene, every part of it. Are you implying that we can control the character during any part of that? None of the camera angles make sense for that.

Maybe they changed the camera angles for the trailer? Could be, would make more sense, but I still think the bridge destruction, where the spider guy ended up, all seems too controlled to be anything but a cutscene.
It could be like SotC in that the player can only direct their horse but their horse's AI dictates how they react to the environment. This would explain why not-Epona acted the way it did when the bridge broke in front of it. The leap jump mount into bow-drawing could be a part of a dismount command. The animations all look so fluid because developers can time the inputs as perfectly as they want.

The camera works the way it does because devs have control over their game's camera,

Thread title/article is a bit misleading in that Aonuma didn't actually say, "the trailer wasn't just in-engine". I think he/the translator just said gameplay to mean Wii U rendered graphics.

Yeah, I think gameplay was the wrong choice of words, and people are reading into it as you would expect.

Agreed. Either they meant in-engine or the angles were changed to make it look good for a trailer.

Good news regardless since being in-engine bodes well for the final product.

Evenflow

But...how? In the trailer there's this dramatic animation where Link (?) removes his cloak. You're telling me this is a mechanic? :p

Hmmm I just had a thought, with how they're looking to zelda 1 for inspiration, wouldn't it be awesome if this was the very start of the game? Like you press start and bam, you're in the field on a horse, no story, no cutscenes and then shit hits the fan and that bridge scene is the first cut scene/reavealing of Link but still no story/explanation.... just exploration... untill maybe you find where that goat herder ran off to and he says "It's dangerous to go alone take this" and hands you a sword.... just a thought :)

Persona7

Banned
Hmmm I just had a thought, with how they're looking to zelda 1 for inspiration, wouldn't it be awesome if this was the very start of the game? Like you press start and bam, you're in the field on a horse, no story, no cutscenes and then shit hits the fan and that bridge scene is the first cut scene/reavealing of Link but still no story/explanation.... just exploration... untill maybe you find where that goat herder ran off to and he says "It's dangerous to go alone take this" and hands you a sword.... just a thought :)

No way, they have to put a mandatory five hour tutorial to appeal to everyone.

Lernaean

Banned
Again guys, forget the camera placement, just like in SSB reveals where the camera is so close to the fighters unlike real gameplay.
The cameras were preset to demonstrate the content.

What Aonuma means is that's how it looks and runs in-engine and in real-time. That's how Epona/enemies/random animals around react, that's how the environment reacts etc.

Additionaly just take his word. It's not like Nintendo is showing CGI and bullshots and blatantly lies it's gameplay when they reveal games. If anything all the WiiU games so far look and run better than they did on reveal.

Top Bottom