• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to Release Gaming Mac in 2020

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My first purchase from Apple was the sublime Macbook Titanium in 2001. Apple, back then, wasn’t popular, and the only people interested in their products were the Apple enthusiasts.

I remember that during the summer of 2001 there was hope amongst the enthusiasts that Steve Jobs was going to reveal a powerful new desktop - but when the reveal actually happened all he demonstrated was ‘a crappy, over-priced music player’.

Everyone lol’d at the iPod and its ludicrous price-tag - but I bought one as soon as the reveal was over because it was such a thing of beauty and also because the pure functionality of it was unlike anything else on the market. When the iPod finally arrived the reaction from my family and friends was the same each time - people would walk away for a half an hour with my iPod in hand and return beaming.

I agree that $5,000 is a lot of money - but I’d rather wait and see what Apple has actually come up with before I shoot this down. They’re capable of hitting it out of the park - it’s just that it’s been a while since that’s happened.
At the time, there were better cheaper MP3 players.

iPod was behind a walled garden iTunes too.

But it seemed to take off as people liked the white shell and U2 was hired to promote it all over the media. Even though they cost a lot, it still sold.

It was a weird thing because Apple always played the rebel card, but then hired in their TV ads the most mainstream music band in the world to promote it. And it worked.

Apple's entire success now can be tied to the tons of iPods they made bank on.

If only they weren't so stubborn in the 80s and 90s with their walled garden computers. It shows the Apple brand can work wonders if you open it up to the masses like iPod, iPhone, and have Macs with mainstream specs like Intel and Nvidia specs.

Last edited:
At the time, there were better cheaper MP3 players.

iPod was behind a walled garden iTunes too.

But it seemed to take off as people liked the white shell and U2 was hired to promote it all over the media. Even though they cost a lot, it still sold.

It was a weird thing because Apple always played the rebel card, but then hired in their TV ads the most mainstream music band in the world to promote it. And it worked.

Apple's entire success now can be tied to the tons of iPods they made bank on.

If only they weren't so stubborn in the 80s and 90s with their walled garden computers. It shows the Apple brand can work wonders if you open it up to the masses like iPod, iPhone, and have Macs with mainstream specs like Intel and Nvidia specs.
Steve Jobs is a bad human in private, but he at least demanded build quality in the things he sell. Now that he is gone, the flaws of the company is amplified.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Steve Jobs is a bad human in private, but he at least demanded build quality in the things he sell. Now that he is gone, the flaws of the company is amplified.
I'm not an Apple fan, but like everyone else I'll notice the new gear that comes out.

Since Jobs left, the only thing new that came out was iWatch, but that was already in development.

It's now the start of 2020, and the biggest innovations every year are spec bumps to their phones, tablets and watches. The most innovative thing launched lately are wireless ear buds.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
people who have money or can afford it and be broke for the rest of the month/year really think that if you dont have apple products you are seen as less worthy and you join the plebs in buying other brands. apple gives status in their eyes lol.
So you would be suprised ;)
Typical sheep response. Not surprised though.

DW74

I don’t know how this could be possible. Doesn’t macOS only support the metal API? How many devs would bother to port their games to it?

Woo-Fu

Banned
If not dual GPUs. Plus with a single known configuration it would beat any similar spec PC.
At what? Synthetic benchmarks? It isn't like there's going to be a lot of software written specifically for that niche within a niche within a niche of a market.

Apple likes to talk gaming now and then, they don't seem interested in following through very often, if ever. I remember when Game Sprockets was going to deliver gaming in a big way on Macs. I also remember when they canceled development a little over a year after introduction.

I do applaud them for managing to not only maintain but even grow one of the last surviving consumer cults in the Internet age, some very smart people calling the shots over in Cupertino.

Bogey

Banned
You fools, 5k is the RESOLUTION this divine powerhouse will be able to run games with.

The price tag will be 10k of course.

Top Bottom