• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arnold reveals details about Terminator: Genesis plot

Status
Not open for further replies.

inm8num2

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=116428

With production on Terminator: Genesis set to begin next month, details are beginning to emerge about what fans can expect for the franchise's fifth big screen entry. Speaking with MTV, star Arnold Schwarzenegger reveals that the script calls for multiple versions of his T-800, including a "young" take!

"'Terminator' deals a lot with time travel," the former California Governor tells the outlet, "so there will be a younger T-800, and then [there is] what that model does later on when it gets reprogrammed, and who gets ahold of him. So it will be all kinds of interesting twists in the movie."

Schwarzenegger goes on to explain the film's solution to having his robotic character looking three decades older than he did in the James Cameron original.

"The way that the character is written, it's a machine underneath," he says. "It's this metal skeleton. But above that is human flesh. And the Terminator's flesh ages, just like any other human being's flesh. Maybe not as fast. But it definitely ages."

The first in a stand-alone trilogy, the new Terminator will also star Jason Clarke, Emilia Clarke, Jai Courtney and J.K. Simmons. David Ellison will produce with Laeta Kalorgridis (Avatar, Shutter Island) and Patrick Lussier (Drive Angry) attached to write the screenplay.

Set to be directed by Thor: The Dark World's Alan Taylor, the film will open in theaters on July 1, 2015.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
First I've heard of Skynet's living tissue aging. It was never quoted as being "human flesh" before.

I wish they would just do a proper one like T1 and T2, and leave Arnie out of it. He's the original and best, but he can't do it any more.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Bringing Arnold back is going to make this movie so damn cheesy.

I'll just continue to pretend that T2 was the last in the series.

adj_noun

250px-AvPvtT.jpg

See, the Terminator was based on Dutch!

esterk

Is this the one where the Terminator gets Alzheimer's and asks everyone 'where's John Connor?' the whole film?

Qasiel

First I've heard of Skynet's living tissue aging. It was never quoted as being "human flesh" before.

I wish they would just do a proper one like T1 and T2, and leave Arnie out of it. He's the original and best, but he can't do it any more.

It was "surrounded by living tissue", so I guess it's human. Probably harvested from the bodies the survivors had to load into trucks for the machines, or grown in some lab somewhere.

An "aged" look will have little effect on the endoskeleton, so older Arnie should still move like his younger self which could look strange, I suppose.

EBE

It was "surrounded by living tissue", so I guess it's human. Probably harvested from the bodies the survivors had to load into trucks for the machines, or grown in some lab somewhere.

An "aged" look will have little effect on the endoskeleton, so older Arnie should still move like his younger self which could look strange, I suppose.

definitely grown in a lab. in the sarah connor chronicles we see Cromatie "regenerate" his skin by submerging himself in a bath of some sort of liquid formula that accelerates cellular growth. the skin doesnt behave like human skin, though, for reasons that should be obvious (doesnt bleed profusely when shot or cut because no respiratory system, blood probably uses some synthetic oxygen carrier instead of normal hemoglobin..)

also, i have no hope for this movie.

remind me GAF, what's the difference between a T-100, a T-101, a T-800 and a T-850?

T-800 is Arnie from the first and second movie.
T-850 is Arnie in the third movie - upgrade to the previous series terminator. harder endoskeleton, bit stronger, bit faster.
all three Arnies are a Cyberdyne Systems Model 101, but Arnie in T3 call himself a T-101 as shorthand for his model number (hes actually a t-850 model 101)
the model number describes his skin, i think - the "looks" template all terminators follow. so it just so happens all Model 101s look like Arnold Schwarzenneger

Blader

so were getting a Terminator sequel and a reboot?

yeah, it's basically two-in-one. It's taking a Back to the Future II approach and dovetailing through events in the first (and second?) movie in order to split off and tell its own story.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
If this was happening while T2 was the last movie - id be so mad

But T3 and T4 happened already so I have absolutely no problem with this movie

Bring it on !

Blader

Yeah, seems like it. Movie sounds very strange.

Oh, well. We only have to stomach three more before the rights go back to Cameron and he puts the series to rest.

Depending on how much time each movie takes, they might not be able to finish out three before the rights revert to Cameron.

SJRB

Gold Member
We have Terminator Salvation and that TV show, so yes.

T3 has

IGo2Ho1.jpg

and

bHJrbaT.jpg

and

HuAYrZi.jpg

I felt like I got stabbed when I was watching T3. With Salvation, I expected mediocrity and that's what I got. T3 is just insultingly bad in so many ways.

spookyfish

The first in a stand-alone trilogy, the new Terminator will also star Jason Clarke, Emilia Clarke, Jai Courtney and J.K. Simmons. David Ellison will produce with Laeta Kalorgridis (Avatar, Shutter Island) and Patrick Lussier (Drive Angry) attached to write the screenplay.

Oh. Yeah. So, um, what happened to the OTHER stand-alone trilogy?

Just let it die, people.

Or show the future war. Pay Cameron a shit-load to write it, and wrap it up so the series becomes an endless parade of prequels/sequels. It doesn't matter where you start, they all lead into each other.

Akahige

Why is Arnie even in this? I thought it was reboot. Just have that dude Jai Courtney play Terminator instead of John Conner or whoever the fuck he's playing.

Vyroxis

Banned
I still love how it doesnt matter in the end, humanity cant win. Skynet infiltrated everything and was self aware, so if it comes down to it Skynet can store itself on a derelict satallite and take over again when the time is right.

120v

i was hoping arnold would be playing the person the T800 was modeled after... that seems way more realistic. T800s aging? that's the kind of shit i was worried about.

it could be done though, if some of the "younger" models are shown in decent enough CG. and there's some convincing age progression as it shows subsequent T800s

the news of J.K. Simmons being cast has me a little hopeful. not a whole lot but a little

Sapiens

Some more:

"There is something yet to be said in about how maybe a cyborg could get really old and unappealing," said the actor, who constitutionally is not able to run for President.

"Maybe this could be the story about how my Cyborg character has an affair with his maid, because, as a cyborg, you just need to fuck the closest thing to you - I mean, you're character," said the guy who married a skeleton-Kennedy who, presumably, became nearly unfuckable after her hip-bones began protruding through her skin.

"It became as terrible as rubbing two of the balls that comes with Hungry Hungry Hippos together."

Terminator: Genesis, is set for an inevitable release.

Emilia Clarke as Sarah Connor bums me out.

Also, terminators who age... oh dear. I guess it could be pulled off without feeling silly and contrived but I'm skeptical.

I feel like the story everybody wants to see is... like, the story of the man they modeled the T-800 after. It's kind of the obvious thing to do.
So I'm really confused as to why they're making a movie about a killer robot getting old instead of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom