• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus Reveals Game Shipments And Expectations (Demon's Souls, 3D Dot, P3P, More)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Atlus has revealed some of their new game shipments and expectations: http://www.siliconera.com/2010/10/2...-times-expectations-demons-souls-does-double/

Atlus Japan: (Japan Sales Only)
-Persona 3 Portable: 220,000 [Expected 170,000]
-Shin Megami Tensai: Strange Journey: 150,000 [Expected 150,00]
-Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City: 140,000 [Expected 130,000]

Atlus USA: (U.S. Sales Only)
-Demon's Souls: 380,000 [Expected 150,000]
-3D Dot Heroes: 160,000 [Expected 25,000]
^As a note, both of the above were developed by From Software since some people seemed confused.

Upcoming Atlus Japan Games: (Japan Sales Only)
-Catherine: Expecting 150,000
-Radiant Historia: Expecting 138,000

ZoddGutts

Good to see 3D Dot Heroes do well. Here's hoping for a sequel that expands things a bit more and maybe an level editor...

Yeah, saw this earlier today. Great to see a game surpass expectations; even better when they decimate expectations. Atlus definitely deserves it and more.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im glad by this news.

Now... publish KOFXIII on consoles. :D

Zzoram

Budgeting for low expectations means that their risk of not turning a profit is low. Smart company.

I hope Namco Bandai has world servers with events for Project Dark like Atlus does for Demon's Souls.

Is 25k really enough for them to do it? oO I never imagined a company would localize publish a game if they'd expect it to sell just 25k

LQX

If they expect such low numbers from some those title why the hell don't they release some of them on the 360? If a game 3D Dot Heroes is expected to sell so low it makes no sense to make it exclusive.

LQX said:
If they expect such low numbers from some those title why the hell don't they release some of them on the 360? If a game 3D Dot Heroes is expected to sell so low it makes no sense to make it exclusive.
Atlus didn't develop 3D Dot Heroes.

Aeana

LQX said:
That would be a good complaint to make toward the company who actually made the game.

Zzoram

Metalmurphy said:
Is 25k really enough for them to do it? oO I never imagined a company would localize publish a game if they'd expect it to sell just 25k

They budget accordingly. They localize as cheaply as possible so that they can barely sell any copies and turn a profit.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
LQX said:

*sigh* Christ, every time:

Atlus is a publisher, the only thing Atlus Japan DEVELOPS is Shin Megami Tensai. They have no say in what platforms they publish games on. They simply ask a Japanese company if they want an English translation/release in the US. If yes, they plan and translate to where even if the game only sells 2,000 copies, they generally break even or bank.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I updated the OP to note that the sales are regional and that From Software developed Demon's Souls and 3D Dot Game Heroes.

appears that games sell alot more on the Sony Platform. Wonder how the sales for Catherine will look like. is Atlus US going to publish that game here?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DMPrince said:
appears that games sell alot more on the Sony Platform. Wonder how the sales for Catherine will look like. is Atlus US going to publish that game here?
I don't think Atlus USA has ignored an Atlus Japan game yet.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
les papillons sexuels said:
always good to hear.

I'm excited to see their upcoming games, project dark specifically.
I don't think Atlus has anything to do with Project Dark. From Software is developing it and publishing it in Japan while Namco will handle the N.A./Euro release.

ZoddGutts

Really do hope there's a sequel to 3D dot Heroes. I know it bombed in Japan but in the U.S. it shows there's an audience for it.

Zzoram

Killthee said:
I don't think Atlus has anything to do with Project Dark. From Software is developing it and publishing it in Japan while Namco will handle the N.A./Euro release.

I wonder why they didn't get Atlus to publish for them. Atlus did such a good job with it.

Demon's Souls deserves to be the best selling console game ever, it's so incredible.

fernoca

DMPrince said:
Well, considering that from thsoe 5 games 3 are on Sony platforms and 2 on the DS; is a given . :p

Glad that the games are either meeting or exceeding their expectations. Some were afraid after Working Designs going out; that Atlus was going next.

I do wonder why there was no mention of Trauma Team. The game was awesome, but some were talking on NPD threads about it selling badly.

ezekial45

Banned
Glad to see DS did well for them. Too bad that Namco Bandai is publishing Project Dark. They're probably gonna DLC the hell out of it.

This thread reminded me that I have 3D Dot Game Heroes just... Sitting there, alone and unplayed.

Maybe after I finish messing around with Vanquish... And Samurai Heroes... And Dead Rising 2... And Fallout New Vegas... And...

I'm screwed.

Zzoram

ezekial45 said:
Glad to see DS did well for them. Too bad that Namco Bandai is publishing Project Dark. They're probably gonna DLC the hell out of it.

Oh crap, I forgot Scamco's antics. If they do, I'll wait for a GOTY or something.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
FrostuTheNinja said:
This thread reminded me that I have 3D Dot Game Heroes just... Sitting there, alone and unplayed.

Maybe after I finish messing around with Vanquish... And Samurai Heroes... And Dead Rising 2... And Fallout New Vegas... And...

I'm screwed.

Hahaha I'm in this exact same situation with 3DDGH. Bought it just before I went on vacation this July :p

Stumpokapow said:
Hahaha I'm in this exact same situation with 3DDGH. Bought it just before I went on vacation this July :p

I was having a really good time with what I played, it's just that this year has been nuts. It's like 1998 all over again.
Referencing Xenogears, Metal Gear Solid, and Symphony of the Night coming out within weeks of each other.

Good time to be playing games.

lyre

Nirolak said:
I don't think Atlus USA has ignored an Atlus Japan game yet.
Well, there's this (released April):

I doubt this is coming over considering everything about it.
You know, giant amount of text, PSP game, dungeon crawler not SMT or EO, etc

lyre said:
Well, there's this (released April)I doubt this is coming over considering everything about it.
You know, giant amount of text, PSP game, dungeon crawler not SMT or EO, etc

:O What is this from the land of magic and vending machine panties?

Looks pretty cool and looks like a game that will never be released in the western world.

Sad news.

Tiktaalik

They must be extremely happy with the US reception to 3D Dot Heroes.

It's always good to see Atlus do well, as I enjoy a lot of what they bring over.

I'm super curious to see how their dungeon crawlers SMT:Strange Journey and Etrian Odyssey 3 did.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Tiktaalik said:
I'm super curious to see how their dungeon crawlers SMT:Strange Journey and Etrian Odyssey 3 did.

EO1 and EO2 both came in well under 50k in NPD, and EO3 still got greenlit. I'd say it's a very modest series that is profitable and prestigious despite not putting up big numbers.

Lain

Those Demon's Souls and 3D dot Heroes numbers are pretty nice, although I was under the (wrong) impression Demon's Souls had sold more than that, like more than 500k or something.

Still it's cool to see how all those games performed better than expected (or as expected), they're all nice games that deserve their sales.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lain said:
Those Demon's Souls and 3D dot Heroes numbers are pretty nice, although I was under the (wrong) impression Demon's Souls had sold more than that, like more than 500k or something.

If you saw a 500k number, it would have been worldwide.

The EO games are also, relatively speaking, pretty text-light, which probably makes translating them a considerably cheaper affair than translating, say, a Persona game.

Tiktaalik

It's super bizarre to me to see that Best Buy (in Canada at least) stocked SMT: Strange Journey. Either Best Buy has always felt the SMT/Persona series games have sold well enough (they also stocked the SMT: Devil Survivor) or coming off the success of Demon's Souls they said they'd take whatever Atlus had next.

Makes me wonder if SMT:ST did better than EO3 at least due to the wider distribution

Top Bottom