• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| I'll tout it to the papers if I have to

Laserfrog

R6sKk.jpg

Bret vs Bret

strobogo

Banned
I watched a bit of the SvR 2006 stream earlier today. The models really do look better than WWE 13. A 7 year old PS2 game has better character models in the same series on PS3 and 360. It seems so half assed. There was a big drop in models from 11 to 12, but this year looks so bad. It seems like they didn't decide to run with the Attitude Era stuff until March or April and then had to speed everything up. I think it's being released about a month earlier than usual, as well.

I'll play it and I'm sure I'll enjoy it for a while (I put a lot of hours into 12, but the last time I played it for a few minutes and couldn't stand it) like I do every year, but this is so shoddy looking work. Maybe they put so much time into the Attitude Era story stuff that they didn't have as much time to work on the models or something.

Also, I really want black jorts and hockey jersey Bret for some reason.

tm24

Oh no, trouble for the Funkettes via PWI

The Hillsborough County, FL Sheriff's office has an arrest report online for Ariane Andrew, a.k.a. WWE's Cameron, on a charge of Driving Under The Influence. The arrest took place on 8/24 at 2:44 AM. She was released on a 500 dollar bond

RBH

The Hillsborough County, FL Sheriff's office has an arrest report online for Ariane Andrew, a.k.a. WWE's Cameron, on a charge of Driving Under The Influence. The arrest took place on 8/24 at 2:44 AM. She was released on a 500 dollar bond
lol

Edit: Beaten.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife

New member of the new SES with Alex Riley

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The problem with this game is that they can't get the little touches right. I was watching Mankind, and they seem really confused. His music and entrance style was debut style when he was still "deranged", but yet, his finisher was Mr. Socko, for some reason.

Attitude Era Jericho didn't have the right pyro, Bret Hart did not have the right music (or model).

Kaladin

I guess the funk won't be rolling anymore.

also....

Somebody call her mamma.

jobber

The problem with this game is that they can't get the little touches right. I was watching Mankind, and they seem really confused. His music and entrance style was debut style when he was still "deranged", but yet, his finisher was Mr. Socko, for some reason.

Attitude Era Jericho didn't have the right pyro, Bret Hart did not have the right music (or model).

Corporate Mankind always came out to his evil music. He didn't start using the Foley theme until after he won the title.

Welp, time for Naomi to go solo and get squashed by some random waifish bikini model.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Corporate Mankind always came out to his evil music. He didn't start using the Foley theme until after he won the title.
Would he still do the sitting in the corner of the ring thing and rocking back and forth? I knew that he didn't get new entrance music for a long ass time (he made a funny ass promo about it).

Smackdown spoilers:

The opening segment included Sheamus, Damien Sandow, and Booker T. A match was set with Sheamus facing Sandow later in the show.

Rey Mysterio was shown walking backstage.

1. Rey Mysterio defeated Cody Rhodes. Nice TV match. The crowd loved Rey. Cody got distracted by trying to take off the mask. After the match, Cody attacked Rey, which lead to Sin Cara coming out. Rey hit the 619 on Rhodes and Sin Cara put a mask on Cody.

The first anger management video from Raw was shown. The crowd chanted yes.

2. Kaitlyn defeated Natalya. Eve served as guest commentator. Kaitlyn will face Layla at Night of Champions.

Footage aired of Vickie and AJ from Raw. Booker T told Matt Striker that AJ is off her rocker. Vickie came up and criticized AJ and said if the board of directors doesn't take action against AJ then she will.

A video recapped Punk and Lawler from Raw. The second anger management video from Raw was shown.

3. Sheamus beat Damien Sandow by countout. Sandow ran to the back for the finish. It was a good match. They worked well together.

Green Bay Packers wide receiver Donald Driver (who's usually at WWE shows) was shown for the biggest reaction of the night. Typical Packers fans. Driver walked out briefly while footage was being shown from last week, and the four men in the ring looked confused at the second big reaction for Driver. Funny moment, but of course the attention whore Driver had to briefly walk out when all eyes were on him.

Powell's POV: Believe it or not, I had nothing to do with the last paragraph. Those are all Dave's words. Don't blame me for this one, Packer fans!

4. The Prime Time Players defeated Justin Gabriel and Tyson Kidd.

The last anger management video aired, everyone cracked up at Kane again.

In the ring, Josh Mathews interviewed Alberto Del Rio, who was accompanied by Ricardo Rodriguez. Del Rio drove a car in, put over his win last week against Orton, and his match with Sheamus. Del Rio went for Mathews until Kane came out. Mathews ran and Kane said his therapist wants him to apologize to Josh. Pretty funny. Teddy Long came out and booked an impromptu match.

5. Alberto Del Rio defeated Kane. Del Rio won thanks to a Ricardo distraction. After the match Kane attacked Josh again and gave him a chokeslam. I remember seeing a hell of a match in the XWF here between Kid Kash and Josh Mathews, but he didn't take the slam well.

Dave's Note: I shouldn't have been so critical of Donald Driver. It's nice to see he's as into the action as his kids are.

A video aired hyping a house show here on December 27.

Triple H from Raw was shown. Basically a second Raw Rebound.

6. Randy Orton defeated Dolph Ziggler. Great reaction for Orton, the crowd loved him all match. Best match of the night, Orton hit the RKO. Vickie was pissed afterwards. Orton posed for a few minutes to a great reaction.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
A Pretty Panda,

Don't you just love that thread where users are ratting each other out? Good shit right there.

jobber

Would he still do the sitting in the corner of the ring thing and rocking back and forth? I knew that he didn't get new entrance music for a long ass time (he made a funny ass promo about it).

He did for a while around the time Mankind and Kane were tag champs.

Somebody call her mama.

Not a fan of Gregory Iron after this post -
"Looking at most independent wrestling flyers makes me ill. Most flyers don't have one dude that looks athletic or in shape... they have at least one guy named "Rage," "Ice," or "Rain,"...and the majority of the roster either looks like they are a 12 year old boy, or a 40 something year old truck driver. Do you realize how horrible this makes the guys that actually work hard at wrestling look..? PLEASE STOP WRESTLING AND RUNNING SHOWS. (Thats my rant for the week.)"

I agree that there's a lot of shitty wrestlers/shows out there but I think it's kind of like community theater. There's a place for it at all levels.

strobogo

Banned
More random Macho Man thoughts:

Flair/HBK vs Savage/Hart. I love Colosseum Home Video. I don't think there has been a "Generations" tag match like this in the US since. Happens quite a bit in Japan and probably Mexico, but not in the US. I guess you had the nWo vs Rock and Austin, but that was the past generation against the clearly established and more popular current gen. Bret and HBK were the heirs to the 90s. I think this kind of match is really a precurrsor to the rest of the 90s. Smaller guys, with speed, technical skills, and a totally different style than what had been the main style for the past 20 years. HBK and Bret are totally put on the same level as Randy Savage and Ric Flair, which is pretty huge. That never could have happened against guys like Hogan and Warrior. I don't think this match was really well known before the DVD era, but it is awesome. Text book great tag match with legitimately four of the best of all time. The only hope I have for the WWE Network is that we'd get a bunch of random matches like these recorded and shown. Like the wacky cards they have in Europe and Japan.

Macho is the FIP for a lot of the match and gives a TON to Shawn. Just like he did in their singles match. Imagine we'll say, Hogan (as Champ) and Bret vs Flair and HBK. Do you really think Hogan would have spent most of the match selling for Flair and HBK and letting Bret get the hot tag? Or Cena (as Champ) and well, they have no one in a comparable spot to Bret in 1992, but Cena be the one selling to ADR and Cody Rhodes the whole match?

It also has JR and The Brain calling the match, which is a really interesting combo, especially since JR was still in NWA/WCW mode. This match also had Sherri getting knocked off the apron. So surprised. Vince was an asshole to keep Randy in the booth, even if Randy could rival even the craziest Dusty tangent. He clearly still had a lot to give in the ring. I feel like he really could have helped bring guys like HBK or Diesel to a higher level at that time. Or help legitimize Bret even further (which they did have a title match, but it is in Japan and there is a fan cam, but it is terrible 18 year old VHS quality you'd expect). I think his only TV matches in 1994 were against Yoko for the title on Raw and Crush at WM. So many awesome matches he could have had in 1993 and 1994. Savage vs original heel Doink, Macho vs Razor, Macho vs 123 Kid, Macho vs Diesel, Macho vs MR. BOB BACKLUND (which was kind of being built to right before Randy bolted), Macho vs Owen, Macho vs Bam Bam, Savage vs King on a bigger stage. So much left for him to do. He was still pretty awesome all the way up until his knees finally gave out in WCW. So until late 1997ish. I'm thinking of plugging him into the crazy summer/fall of 1997 and it would have been tremendous. If you like Yoko, this match is probably the best one he's ever had.

Super bummed they put the Lifeguard Match instead of the vastly superior GAB 95 match I posted pages back. The life guards are an interesting, only in WCW group. They all have terrible orange cicle tye dye shirts. Among the group are Harlem Heat, the Nasty Boys, Dick Slater and Bunkhouse fucking Bunk, Hacksaw, Double A, bum DDP, jobber Kanyon, Evad Sullivan, and some big muscled up guy I can't place. Wiki says Mark Starr and Max Muscle. Flair wore his light pink granny panties with red knee pads. Savage wore his Slim Jim outfit. Their typical match, but ON THE BEACH!

Another Flair/Savage match, this time in 1996 on Nitro. Macho comes out with a string of ladies, including Woman, Debra, and Linda Hogan. Macho was probably wearing his most modest and mellow ring attire since switching to tights. Straight black with some copper trim. In response, Flair comes out in his Green Bay gear while Jimmy Hart wears a purple suit with yellow writing all over it, with a red shirt and red shoes. Bischoff announces that Randy will be reunited with Elizabit on the Clash the next night. LOD are also reunited and will return that night. This was around the time when Flair started taking a back body drop on the floor in every match. Bisch was so obnoxious and annoying even before the nWo. Fun TV version of their formula. Arn tried to deck Savage with the knux, but nails Flair on accident, leading to him regaining the WCW Championship.

They skip a whole year of nWo stuff in about a minute and a half. DDP vs Macho at the GAB 97! HYPE. Liz was SO much hotter in WCW. Holy fuck. She had a little bit of meat on her then and looked way better. Awesome, they have Self High Five and not the WWE theme. Kim was and still is hot as fuck, too. I saw her in YRG and she looks as good as ever. DDP rocking the rib tape he'd have for the next 9 months. As over as the Diamond Cutter was, Macho really made DDP. He went from a guy no one cared about for years into arguably the most over face in the company if Sting wasn't around in the span of a few months. The last great feud of Randy's career. Pretty good BANG to go out on. Lots of plundah and rag taggin in this match. I'm amazed DDP got so over considering his hair, super tight jeans, 3 sizes too small shirts (I swear he had a 3 wolf esque shirt way before it became an internet meme), fanny packs, and obsession with saying SCUM as many times in a promo as possible. Mickey J got absolutely demolished with a Savage piledriver. It was great. One of the great ref bumps. "GET DAT BBQ PIT! IT'S RIGHT BEHIND YA!" Doug Dillinger was rocking a pretty manly beard at that time. Oh hey, Macho tries to hit Kim. I am shocked. Macho took out 3 refs and a photographer for some reason. He grabbed this little guy by the hair, broke his camera, punched him in the face, and threw him into the railing. It was weird. I think he got a little carried away. DDP finally his the Diamond Cutter OUTTA NOWHERE, but when he gets the cover, Scott Hall is there to curb stomp Nick Patrick's head. Then hit a really rough and awkward looking Razor's Edge. And Savage randomly kicked Nick Patrick again for no reason. Awesome, wild, out of control brawl that was actually the main event of the PPV.

The next match is from the awful Team Madness era that makes me sad so I'm going to skip it. Nash/Sting vs Sid/Macho...for the WCW Championship. If Macho or Sid pin Nash, they win the title. If Sting pins his partner, he wins the title. That whole era bums me out. It got boring chants before the match even started. Oh hey, there's Randy being verbal abusive and possessive of a woman. Who already has a giant black eye. Which, if I remember, was actually all part of a ploy to get Nash to feel bad for George so she could distract him or something. But the idea that they made an explicit angle out of Savage smacking women around is a little strange. I think Peter North was in the front row in a sleeveless denim shirt. Oh well. This era is too sad for me to watch. I would rather Savage have just never come back if he was going to come back jacked out of his mind and not able to do anything. I believe he wins the title and then immediately loses it to Hogan the next night on Nitro and then does his match with Rodman and is gone forever.

TLDL: Randy Savage is the most awesome dude ever, outside of the woman beating stuff.

Are the Smackdown vs. Raw 2011 servers still up? I'm about to just buy it for cheap and download a bunch of CAWs. I'm sure most of the people on the current roster I'd want to play as are already in the game, so that doesn't matter to me.

Top Bottom