• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Balloonatic' gets $26.5K fine for lawn chair flight over Calgary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/daniel-boria-balloon-man-1.4029414
calgary-balloon-guy-guilty-sentence.jpg

daniel-boria.jpg

On July 5, 2015, Boria tied $13,000 worth of industrial-sized balloons to a Canadian Tire lawn chair and took to the skies to promote his cleaning company, with the plan to parachute into the Calgary Stampede chuckwagon races.

In a phony Boston accent, Daniel Boria quoted John F. Kennedy's moon speech and compared himself to the Wright brothers to explain why he tied over 100 helium balloons to a lawn chair and floated four kilometres above Calgary, getting in the way of commercial aircraft and putting hundreds of lives at risk.

Boria, 27, was ordered to pay $26,500 in fines when he was sentenced Friday, after pleading guilty in December to dangerous operation of an aircraft for the 2015 stunt.

"Why climb the highest mountain?" said Boria outside court. "Why 85 years ago fly the Atlantic? Why do the Oilers play the Flames? I chose to fly a chair; not because it is easy but because it is hard. Because that goal served to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills."

In handing down the sentence provincial court Judge Bruce Fraser called Boria's stunt "dumb and dangerous" and "unconscionably stupid."

"There was nothing fantastic, fun or exhilarating about it," said Fraser. "There is no precedent for so foolish an escapade."

Fraser agreed to accept a joint recommendation between Crown prosecutor Matt Dalidowicz and defence lawyer Alain Hepner that Boria be fined $5,000 and make a $20,000 donation to the charity of his choice.

The veteran's food bank and the Royal Canadian Legion's Poppy Fund were the recipients of Boria's donation.

If you'r wondering why this would be such a big deal...
During the time he was in the air, 24 airplanes took off and landed in Calgary.

"[They] didn't charge the Wright brothers," said Boria.

"It's pretty hard to take it seriously when you guys are asking me these questions based on me flying a lawn chair."

Float me to a lost jungle valley in Central/South America to fulfill my dead wife's childhood dream if old.

Phox

Banned
"Why climb the highest mountain?" said Boria outside court. "Why 85 years ago fly the Atlantic? Why do the Oilers play the Flames? I chose to fly a chair; not because it is easy but because it is hard. Because that goal served to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills.

Print that on the cover of every history textbook in Canada

Ketch

Lol. This guy's great. We need more adventurers pushing the envelope.

If a plane hit this guy it would probably crash.

There's a reason flight plans and air traffic control exist.

This is like thinking it's funny to ride a razor scooter down the middle of a busy highway.

norm9

This is like thinking it's funny to ride a razor scooter down the middle of a busy highway.

But think of the positives.

Syriel

...floated four kilometres above Calgary...

That's impressive.

For context, that is over 13,000 feet.

15,000 feet is generally the highest that you can go skydiving without a mask at a skydiving center.

30,000 feet is typical cruising altitude for a commercial passenger jet.

BHK3

Banned
I don't believe the 'plane' risks. Millions of dollars of equipment and radar and they say a bunch of balloons are dangerous and they can't avoid him at all?

Lol it would most certainly not "probably crash". Yes there are risks and dangers but the chances of causing an actual crash in a plane are low, there, but low.

Irnbru

I don't believe the 'plane' risks. Millions of dollars of equipment and radar and they say a bunch of balloons are dangerous and they can't avoid him at all?

I know you're joking, but a plane going at speed hitting a target that size would be catostrphic. Reference: I've worked birdstrikes and other AOG events. Birds can drop planes, lol.

Dumb and dangerous yet somehow impressive. The fact that it didn't fall apart, that it was stable enough to go that high and take a clear picture, and that he didnt freeze his ass off in shorts is amazing in itself.

Amalthea

Banned
"[They] didn't charge the Wright brothers," said Boria.

Uh, yeah. There weren't any airplanes with hundreds of people flying around while the Wright Brothers were inventing the airplane.

And balloon flights have been done for over 200 years now. This is not some pioneering effort for the advance of technology or anything but a stupid marketing stunt.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
I mean, the judge is clearly wrong here:

"There was nothing fantastic, fun or exhilarating about it," said Fraser. "There is no precedent for so foolish an escapade."

I'd argue that it's pretty fantastic, and to that guy it was probably both fun and exhilarating.

Kayhan

"Why climb the highest mountain?" said Boria outside court. "Why 85 years ago fly the Atlantic? Why do the Oilers play the Flames? I chose to fly a chair; not because it is easy but because it is hard. Because that goal served to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills."

How can a judge sentence such a man?

BHK3

Banned
I know you're joking, but a plane going at speed hitting a target that size would be catostrphic. Reference: I've worked birdstrikes and other AOG events. Birds can drop planes, lol.

I'm actually dead serious, I didn't know birds could drop planes though. Nevermind I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom